Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,473 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:41 PM

Varying Salaries In Different Fields - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Varying Salaries In Different Fields (17993 Views)

Why Do People Keep Their Salaries Secret? / Top 10 Countries With The Highest Salaries In 2015 (updated) / MBA Salaries In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Varying Salaries In Different Fields by Opiro2000(m): 9:03am On Oct 23, 2007
Hi all.
I'm trying to really check on salaries paid people in different fields. For example, what is the benchmark for new entrants into the media? What do u expect to be paid as an entry-level person in a small scale organization?
Can we enlighten ourselves a bit in this?
Just tell us what you know about a particular field.
Thank you. wink
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by Opiro2000(m): 10:26am On Oct 23, 2007
The basic for a front-desk person/ Customer Service person, as I have seen generally, is between N25, 000 and N30, 000. Is this correct? Is anyone in this field collecting above this?
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by diyobdw(f): 10:53am On Oct 23, 2007
For Entry level customer service -{grad} is in that range between 25K-40K at least in a medium size company.
At time industries matter because it make the task kind of slightly different!
Also the skills the person has also command the amount offered.
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by tkb417(m): 12:38pm On Oct 23, 2007
Entry Level for Consulting firms is between 120-150k
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by Kobojunkie: 1:29pm On Oct 23, 2007
tkb417:

Entry Level for Consulting firms is between 120-150k

Consulting on what??

diyobdw:

For Entry level customer service -{grad} is in that range between 25K-40K at least in a medium size company.
At time industries matter because it make the task kind of slightly different!
Also the skills the person has also command the amount offered.

By The way, did you say Customer service is 25K to 40 K per annum or per month
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by Opiro2000(m): 1:34pm On Oct 23, 2007
@Kobojunkie
I think 25k to 40k is per month.

@tkb417
What size is this firm paying like 150k? Medium or large scale enterprise?
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by Kobojunkie: 1:47pm On Oct 23, 2007
What about Salaries in other fields, like medical, technology and so on
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by diyobdw(f): 1:58pm On Oct 23, 2007
per month of course

Kobojunkie:

Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by adechuks(m): 2:14pm On Oct 23, 2007
Kobojunkie:

Consulting on what??

While not confirming the figures, when people in Naija say "Consulting", they mean KPMG, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, Accenture etc
the first thing i did when i saw your question was to check your location

25k-40k meant per month.

@topic,
salaries are industry-varied and not tied to job functions.
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by Bigtee(m): 2:24pm On Oct 23, 2007
Consulting firm that pays 150k

I work in a consulting firm and IT IS NOT UP TO 150k
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by Easybaby(f): 2:33pm On Oct 23, 2007
Bigtee:

Consulting firm that pays 150k

I work in a consulting firm and IT IS NOT UP TO 150k

There are consulting firms and There are consulting firms undecided

lol grin grin grin
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by Kobojunkie: 2:35pm On Oct 23, 2007
So anyone know what the average salary in other fields would be?? I mean based on what you have come to know.
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by tkb417(m): 2:46pm On Oct 23, 2007
@Bigtee
which of the consulting firms do you work with?
the range i put is 120-150K.
@easybabe
dont mind him. someone even said, we have some consulting firms that pay 45k per month. so as u said, der are consulting firms, der are consulting firms.

@Poster
Banks should be like 70-150k per month.
And somebody shouldnt come out and say he works in a bank that pays 72k o.
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by tkb417(m): 2:48pm On Oct 23, 2007
All these are for new entrants.
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by Greycells(m): 2:57pm On Oct 23, 2007
In the print media what you get is in this range

Print: 7k - 40k entry level (softsell magazines like Encomium, City People, Fame, Global Excellence pay between 7k to 12k entry level).

While serious newspapers pay from 17k -42k entry level (Punch, Daily Independent pay highest).

What they pay in the electronic media is not fantastic too,  but the egunje(brown envelope) is fatanstic,
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by Femtex(m): 3:52pm On Oct 23, 2007
What is the current pay rate for Process Engr (Chemical engr), Electrical engr, Civil and so on,
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by ayomifull(f): 3:56pm On Oct 23, 2007
My twin bro works with Chevron as an engieer he started with $1,200 per months and some allawees
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by Femtex(m): 4:15pm On Oct 23, 2007
ayomifull:

My twin bro works with Shell as an engieer he started with $1,200 per months and some allawees

$1200, Thats like ~ N160K and with some allowance,
I'm assuming about 250K / month
Whats your brother current position?
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by onyekang1(f): 4:30pm On Oct 23, 2007
Femtex:

What is the current pay rate for Process Engr (Chemical engr), Electrical engr, Civil and so on,

I ave a cousin that works with TOTAL as a process engr and earns 350K monthly
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by diyobdw(f): 4:50pm On Oct 23, 2007
@G-reycells
do you know that of the tv/broadcasting entry level for reporters?
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by Opiro2000(m): 4:54pm On Oct 23, 2007
I'm good with these answers. Like adechucks says, if we look at industries, they differ. But does anyone have an idea of entry level pay range for Human Resource professionals?
I also have someone going into a medium sized one-man business as Personal /Confidential Secretary(2 years experience) and she is being offered N35k. Is that good enough?
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by Greycells(m): 6:16pm On Oct 23, 2007
@diyobdw

The pay for entry level for reporters for television reporters is not any fantastic too, I cannnot put a figure to it, but guys that were TV reporters were not any better that their print media counterparts, when I used to work for the Daily Times before it privatization (kiss of death) It is just that it is a far more glamorous industry, and they make more money than other professionals can hope to make,
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by Femtex(m): 6:38pm On Oct 23, 2007
onyeka_ng:

I ave a cousin that works with TOTAL as a process engr and earns 350K monthly

How many years of experience does your cousin have as a process engr?
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by adechuks(m): 6:57pm On Oct 23, 2007
Opiro2000:

I'm good with these answers. Like adechucks says, if we look at industries, they differ. But does anyone have an idea of entry level pay range for Human Resource professionals?
I also have someone going into a medium sized one-man business as Personal /Confidential Secretary(2 years experience) and she is being offered N35k. Is that good enough?

I think an entry-level person should imagine what the CV will look like in about 5 years, and use that to judge what to take and what to reject.
Apart from that, the person's basic expenses should be covered. e.g If your cousin thinks the 35k does not pay her transport fares through the month, then it does make too much sense to take the pay.
If you think you'll be stuck (not be able to job-hunt) while taking the 35k, it's also not a good thing.
There is no perfect answer for the 35k lady. She has to determine the benefits vs the demerits of the whole show.
Meanwhile, if it offers you an opportunity to meet people and expand your network profitably, then you can overlook the pay and network with bigboys in government and business.
My wife once earned 30k in an oil servicing firm that regularly sent staff abroad for trainings (and eventually got her an american visa for a training, though she resigned not long after and did not go on the training)
So, plenty gist but each person should be long-sighted, and be close-sighted in such decisions.
chikena.

Femtex:

Thank you o. That matters a great deal.
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by lynxnoon(m): 11:39pm On Oct 23, 2007
hi evry1
nobody is saying anytin abt medical
wel 4 interns i tink average of 45 - 110k
, dat 110k or above is only in national hospital
which is way too low compared wit d stress dey face angry angry
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by Kobojunkie: 1:43am On Oct 24, 2007
lynxnoon:

hi evry1
nobody is saying anytin about medical
wel 4 interns i think average of 45 - 110k
, that 110k or above is only in national hospital
which is way too low compared wit d stress dey face angry angry

What sort of interns are you speaking of?? Are you speaking of medical tech staff or what?? How much do Doctor's make?? and nurses??
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by marjson(m): 8:20am On Oct 24, 2007
Any body knows the range of pay for N.D graduands for contract Jobs at Banks for Tellering and other Positions and
Also the banks that I.C.S.L recruits for,
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by onyekang1(f): 8:38am On Oct 24, 2007
Femtex:

adechuks:

Thank you o. That matters a great deal.

He has 4 years experience and still on expatriation too.
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by Shinatu: 8:45am On Oct 24, 2007
@Ayomifull

Did you convert your brother's salary to dollars yourself because I know Shell companies in Nigeria do not pay in Dollars.
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by blackninja(m): 8:48am On Oct 24, 2007
tkb417:

@Bigtee
which of the consulting firms do you work with?
the range i put is 120-150K.
@easybabe
don't mind him. someone even said, we have some consulting firms that pay 45k per month. so as u said, der are consulting firms, der are consulting firms.

@Poster
Banks should be like 70-150k per month.
And somebody shouldnt come out and say he works in a bank that pays 72k o.

@tbk417

Ur estimate of 120k - 150k for consulting firms is wrong and misleading to reader. I cant believe that u think an entry level customer service person will be paid 120k to 150k, obviously u dont work for a consulting firm otherwise you would know that consultants in Nigeria just carry the BIG international names of their companies but their pay are not comensurate with the big name and the work they do.

Before u get defensive, i'm referring to the likes of Accenture, PriceWaterHouse and KPMG. Incase u dont know, you must be at least a Manager in any of these three BIG consulting firms to earn the BIG BUCKS!

If tbk417 wants phone numbers of people in Accenture, PWC and KPMG, i'm willing to supply names and numbers he can call to verify.

Cheers!
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by Opiro2000(m): 8:54am On Oct 24, 2007
marjson:

Any body knows the range of pay for N.D graduands for contract Jobs at Banks for Tellering and other Positions and
Also the banks that I.C.S.L recruits for,

I think that goes for about 25-27k. Used to have a friend doing that.

@adechuks
Thank you. But what benchmarks do we work with when asked the ultimate question? I've heard people ask for 80k in industries that only pay 45k tops for entry level, and they lose the position. So what figures can we say will work for particular disciplines?

If anyone can answer this, I will be grateful.
Re: Varying Salaries In Different Fields by peteroby(m): 9:56am On Oct 24, 2007
the entry level for my kind of job is 50k per month.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

In A Strange Land In Search Of Greener Pasture / Nutritionist/dietitians / How Are You Coping With ACCA Exam Fees Payment?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.