Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,607 members, 7,827,291 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:10 AM

Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep (11142 Views)

Arrest Me If My Convoy Break Traffic Rules – Amosun Tells New TRACE Boss / Dasukigate: Return Your N260m Share, Oshiomhole Tells Anennih / Tinubu Demands Oil Wells/Ministerial Slots From Buhari - National Daily (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by PhysicsQED(m): 4:17pm On Feb 25, 2012
Ngodigha1:

The other part of Akoko in Ondo state are Edo lands recently occupied by some Yoruba speaking people. The Akokos in Ondo state are predominantly Edo.

This is completely and totally false.
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by Dede1(m): 4:20pm On Feb 25, 2012
naijaking1:

Never knew Ondo folks benefitted from Justice Nasir's post civil war largesse of oil wells lipsrsealed

Come on, pal. Obasanjo, Yoruba and both northern region political and military elites made sure Yoruba land was relevant when crude oil is discussed in Nigeria immediately after the civil war. The 1976 boundary adjustment program instigated by Obasanjo’s regime and executed by Mallam or Alhaji Nasir was both punitive and compensatory measures. I can never forgive Nigeria and certain people that inhabit it. It is good to notice the shells of propaganda have begun to fall off some peoples’ eyes.

Pa Omoigui had hinted to this issue in one of the interviews the octogenarian gave to certain newspaper.
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by Ufeolorun(m): 4:22pm On Feb 25, 2012
Physics.
I get why you r being protective any ways.Babangida if you ask him will tell you is Hausa connections,for Danjuma,I would like to see how they largely bear Hausa names.
Akoko(minus Edo) can never be a co-incidence,
It's too glaring man,for this to be a source of argument.
Smile
Safe!
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by PhysicsQED(m): 4:30pm On Feb 25, 2012
Ufeolorun:

Physics.
I get why you r being protective any ways.Babangida if you ask him will tell you is Hausa connections,for Danjuma,I would like to see how they largely bear Hausa names.
Akoko(minus Edo) can never be a co-incidence,
It's too glaring man,for this to be a source of argument.
Smile
Safe!

Babangida is a Gwari/Gbagyi man and Danjuma is a Jukun.

Do you know that the actual ethnic groups that are in Akoko-Edo are known and that their languages have even been studied?

Akoko Edo is a modern 20th century label, and it makes perfect sense since they are Edo (Edoid) groups in the Akoko region.
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by aljharem(m): 4:44pm On Feb 25, 2012
Dede1:

Come on, pal. Obasanjo, Yoruba and both northern region political and military elites made sure Yoruba land was relevant when crude oil is discussed in Nigeria immediately after the civil war. The 1976 boundary adjustment program instigated by Obasanjo’s regime and executed by Mallam or Alhaji Nasir was both punitive and compensatory measures. I can never forgive Nigeria and certain people that inhabit it. It is good to notice the shells of propaganda have begun to fall off some peoples’ eyes.

Pa Omoigui had hinted to this issue in one of the interviews the octogenarian gave to certain newspaper.   

conspiracy

that also explains why the hausa and their yoruba counterpart gave lagos to yoruba when it was clearly Igboland before the war.
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by nduchucks: 4:55pm On Feb 25, 2012
@OP, I have not read your post or all of the responses to it. I'll simply point out that States do not own Oil Wells. Oil wells are owned by corporations or joint partnerships of corporations/FG.  So what oil wells is your foolish governor talking about? 

This is the kind of ignorance which enables your 'leaders' to continue to screw you up.

BTW, Omoigui is a revisionist who has been running his mouth with unsubstantiated 'facts' as his customary way of selling books after Babangida stopped providing financial support to him. His credibility on these matters are questionable, at best.
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by PhysicsQED(m): 5:15pm On Feb 25, 2012
lol, ndu chuks

Do you know what the following picture means, by any chance?

Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by Ufeolorun(m): 5:22pm On Feb 25, 2012
^
Lol!
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by Dede1(m): 5:32pm On Feb 25, 2012
ndu_chucks:

@OP, I have not read your post or all of the responses to it. I'll simply point out that States do not own Oil Wells. Oil wells are owned by corporations or joint partnerships of corporations/FG. So what oil wells is your foolish governor talking about?

This is the kind of ignorance which enables your 'leaders' to continue to screw you up.

BTW, Omoigui is a revisionist who has been running his mouth with unsubstantiated 'facts' as his customary way of selling books after Babangida stopped providing financial support to him. His credibility on these matters are questionable, at best.

You are beginning to create ominous doubts in me about you. The plank of argument you presented on the alleged Francis Fajuiyi’s heroic standard during his arrest in government house, Ibadan left me to wonder if you really passed through Zaria. grin grin grin

Have you heard about revenue allocation formula in Nigeria before now? The governor is spot on with the issues of crude oil well because it could go a long way to modify certain nomenclatural nonsense in Nigeria.
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by Dede1(m): 5:37pm On Feb 25, 2012
alj harem:

conspiracy

that also explains why the hausa and their yoruba counterpart gave lagos to yoruba when it was clearly Igboland before the war.

You need a brain regardless how dilapidated.
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by nduchucks: 5:55pm On Feb 25, 2012
Dede1:

You are beginning to create ominous doubts in me about you. The plank of argument you presented on the alleged Francis Fajuiyi’s heroic standard during his arrest in government house, Ibadan left me to wonder if you really passed through Zaria.  grin grin grin

I just read your reply to my post on Fajuyi. I am not surprised that you and the likes of the incompetent coup plotters only went through Zaria and were at the bottom of your class, while there. That is why they did not realize that, you don't have to run around killing everyone in sight for a coup to be successful. They were never taught about the implications of  political calculations in the implementation of successful coups. I don't suppose you've heard about the follow up training usually obtained in Sandhurst, back then. I am beginning to suspect that you were one of those I forced to do a few push ups for insubordination.

Dede1:

Have you heard about revenue allocation formula in Nigeria before now? The governor is spot on with the issues of crude oil well because it could go a long way to modify certain nomenclatural nonsense in Nigeria.     

I know about revenue sharing formula. If the governor was fighting about redrawing the map of his state, then he should focus on that. This idea that the state's oil wells were stolen is ridiculous and shameful.  Even if the map is redrawn, how much more does the governor expect from the allocation. Oshiomhole and other governors need to focus on creating a friendly environment for investors and development instead of this lazy mechanism of fund raising.

@Physics, I'm glad you agree that Omoigui's books are shiity. smiley
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by PhysicsQED(m): 6:07pm On Feb 25, 2012
ndu_chucks:

@Physics, I'm glad you agree that Omoigui's books are shiity. smiley

lol, I haven't read any books published by anyone with the last name Omoigui.

It's just that every time you type something on this forum that picture comes to mind and I wonder why it is that that picture makes more sense than anything you've ever posted. grin
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by nduchucks: 6:17pm On Feb 25, 2012
PhysicsQED:

lol, I haven't read any books published by anyone with the last name Omoigui.

It's just that every time you type something on this forum that picture comes to mind and I wonder why it is that that picture makes more sense than anything you've ever posted. grin

ewooooo, so that was a cheap shot and here I was thinking that you are a nice chap.  May Okwute Egyptians piafuka gi blokos, Atosiloli.

In the meantime, please name one oil well stolen from Edo state.
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by Dainfamous: 6:33pm On Feb 25, 2012
Which part of edo state segun aganga comes from again?
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by bright007(f): 9:55pm On Feb 25, 2012
Why are there so many miscreants/rugrats/scumbags/rifrafs on this thread?
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by jidesp(m): 1:18am On Feb 26, 2012
So
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by ektbear: 1:29am On Feb 26, 2012
I don't mind this idea of the ownership of natural resources being owned by the people.

But if that is the case, then one must apply the principle to its logical conclusion. . . you cannot simply stop at saying, "this oil doesn't belong to the FG, it belongs to State X." Especially when State X is multi-ethnic, and the lion's share of the oil in that state is produced by one ethnic group.

Instead you must say that it belongs to such and such group of Y LGA.

And by that reasoning, as I stated earlier, any potential disputes over oil wells are purely between the relevant ethnic groups in Ondo/Delta, namely Ilaje Yoruba and Itsekiri, respectively.

As I said, I don't particularly have a problem with this.

If in some future Yoruba Republic, 90% of the oil wealth of Ondo is spent by Ilaje LGA and they turn this LGA into Dubai, more power to them. I have no problems personally moving down there. . . nor should anyway else in Yorubaland (we are about the same size as NY State, so not that big.)
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by Kilode1: 2:16am On Feb 26, 2012
ekt_bear:

I don't mind this idea of the ownership of natural resources being owned by the people.

But if that is the case, then one must apply the principle to its logical conclusion. . . you cannot simply stop at saying, "this oil doesn't belong to the FG, it belongs to State X." Especially when State X is multi-ethnic, and the lion's share of the oil in that state is produced by one ethnic group.

Instead you must say that it belongs to such and such group of Y LGA.

And by that reasoning, as I stated earlier, any potential disputes over oil wells are purely between the relevant ethnic groups in Ondo/Delta, namely Ilaje Yoruba and Itsekiri, respectively.

As I said, I don't particularly have a problem with this.

If in some future Yoruba Republic, 90% of the oil wealth of Ondo is spent by Ilaje LGA and they turn this LGA into Dubai, more power to them. I have no problems personally moving down there. . . nor should anyway else in Yorubaland (we are about the same size as NY State, so not that big.)

I so much agree with you. The argument for local control is very sound and relevant. Nigeria's unitary system (by practice) is one of the major impediments on our way to sustainable economic development. No reason why this theory should not be applied as you stated it. the same applies beyond oil resources to Electricity generation, water resources, Roads, right of way, Land use, etc.

Actually I wl'd have preferred to carry the conclusion to the level of individual ownership, but due to the problems of history, geography and record keeping, it will be very hard to do that at this stage, so the best way I think is to make sure that resource ownership (for tax and revenue purposes) reside in communities and or cities. I'll prefer cities or LG's so that long term non-indigene residents can partake also.

This will considerably reduce the power and control currently enjoyed by the FG and State Governments. It will be hard to get this done though, those Overlords at The FG and State Level will probably fight to the death.
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by ektbear: 2:31am On Feb 26, 2012
Individual in my opinion is kind of murky.

Especially in an African setting. . .

I think bringing things down to the level of community/town/lga should be sufficient, since those are pretty reasonably well-defined entities.
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by Kilode1: 2:50am On Feb 26, 2012
ekt_bear:

Individual in my opinion is kind of murky.

Especially in an African setting. . .

I think bringing things down to the level of community/town/lga should be sufficient, since those are pretty reasonably well-defined entities.

Yes it's murky. Especially due to some of the reasons I gave earlier. Our current LG arrangement is the closest thing to our original cultural and ethnic arrangement it's the way to go really.

I don't care if my village has no mineral resources, as long as we are allowed the freedom to chart our own developmental course with minimal control from a strong Central and State Govt, I'm fine, we will do well.
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by dayokanu(m): 4:46am On Feb 26, 2012
I agree that the idea of resource control to the level of local govt or even host community

Cos in Ondo for Example someone in Akoko is yelling that "Leave our oil alone" WHich oil? Ilaje oil?

What happens if another state creation now split Akoko from Ilaje.

That means the Akoko guy has now become a "parasite"
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by Beaf: 4:55am On Feb 26, 2012
ekt_bear:

Crap.

Bigots always reason in strange ways.
How is it humanly possible to erase the entire oil producing Ijaw areas of Ondo state?

Anyways, ethnic groups do not determine ownership of oil wells, only a bigot would think they do.
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by nduchucks: 5:00am On Feb 26, 2012
There are hundreds of theories of government that could work well in Nigeria including the one discussed by the above posters. Many of these theories have been written down and are gathering dust is one university or the other. Serious achievers would participate in the existing process by running for local/state/fed elective offices to implement their good ideas. No amount of theory or wishful thinking do.

You people need to start pooling your financial and political resources so that your ideas will become realities. It is quite possible that those who currently wield  real power will continue to do so for decades to come, while you all remain on NL with your theories and ideas.
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by ektbear: 5:04am On Feb 26, 2012
Hehe

Always nice to see inconsistencies in this resource-control argument.

Pray tell, which Ijaw areas in Ondo produce oil?

Kindly elaborate and tell us cheesy Does it amount to even 5% of Ondo's production?

The amount of oil produced by Ondo that is in Ijaw land is minuscule.

The reason why Beaf wants "resource control for STATES" but not for "ETHNIC COMMUNITIES or LGAs" is because in his own state, there is a golden goose that lays all the eggs, and he wants to continue eating their eggs cheesy cheesy cheesy

Anyway, I am in full support of resource control. . .  so long as the resources are controlled by ethnic communities and LGAs.
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by ektbear: 5:06am On Feb 26, 2012
For all we know, Beaf comes from a LGA that produces minuscule amounts of oil.

Yet he and a man from Asaba side (which has zero natural resource) will be claiming, "OUR Niger Delta oil", blahblahblah
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by ektbear: 5:09am On Feb 26, 2012
The FG interest in the oil must be transferred to each of the relevant communities, as soon as possible.

It can then be up to them to decide to do with said resources, whether they want to share it with others or not.

To conclude, on resource control I stand.
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by dayokanu(m): 5:10am On Feb 26, 2012
ekt_bear:

For all we know, Beaf comes from a LGA that produces minuscule amounts of oil.

Yet he and a man from Asaba side (which has zero natural resource) will be claiming, "OUR Niger Delta oil", blahblahblah

Comparable to the analogy I made about the Akoko man claiming "Our oil" on Ilaje oil

dayokanu:

I agree that the idea of resource control to the level of local govt or even host community

Cos in Ondo for Example someone in Akoko is yelling that "Leave our oil alone" WHich oil? Ilaje oil?

What happens if another state creation now split Akoko from Ilaje.

That means the Akoko guy has now become a "parasite"

So some of those yelling our oil could potentially become parasites when a new state or boundaries are adjusted
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by Beaf: 5:10am On Feb 26, 2012
There is a strong case to be made for the merging of Ijaw and Ilaje populations to Delta state. Both groups are strongly marginalised in Ondo state, just the same way all minorities are marginalised in Nigeria (worse if they are oil producing). Nobody is marginalised in Delta state, it is the first state to have had a governor from an ethnic minority group. cool

Listen to the Ilaje cry of marginalisation from just a few months back:

[size=14pt]Mahin indigenes lament marginalisation[/size]
HAKEEM GBADAMOSI 23/08/2011 09:16:00

The indigenes of Mahin in Ilaje Local Government Area of Ondo State have expressed dissatisfaction over their neglect and marginalisation by successive governments in the country as they called on the authorities to correct the anomalies.

The people also decried the destruction of their environment by multinational oil companies, leading to pollution, coastal erosion and sea incursion. In a communiqué at end of the Mahin People’s National Conference and signed by the General Secretary, Central Organisation, Olayemi Saanumi, the people rejected the current massive excavation of sands, which has caused artificial lagoon in some part of the region.

It said, “Despite its historic roles and earliest exposure to western education and modern governance, the Mahin Kingdom has suffered continued marginalisation, discrimination and neglect by successive governments at all levels, particularly in terms of distribution of infrastructure facilities, political appointments and other amenities.

“The Conference called on the Ondo State Government, the Ondo State Oil Producing Area Development Commission, (OSOPADEC), the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), and the Ilaje Local Government and client companies to put in place immediate and sustainable remedial measures in this regard.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/community-mirror/19058.html

It will be best to merge the entire area, along with the Apoi Ijaw areas (Ilaje and Ese-Odo local govt areas) with Delta state where they can be with their kith and kin who are not marginalised.
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by Beaf: 5:11am On Feb 26, 2012
Lol!
I see two ethnically bigotted parasites (dayokanu and ekt_bear) at war with their own stup!dity as usual.

I am for full resource control, down to the individual. Phuck ethnicity.
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by dayokanu(m): 5:13am On Feb 26, 2012
Secretary Olayemi Saanumi in Delta state  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Some ppl just wan claim or attache by force

Control the resources found in your community, Lets eliminate parasites at all levels
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by ektbear: 5:13am On Feb 26, 2012
Bwahahaha

Haha

The fear of God has struck Beaf, as he realizes the full consequences of demanding resource control cheesy

There is a strong case for boundary adjustment between Ondo and Delta, yes.

I will trade you our Ijaws for your Itsekiris grin grin grin

That is a trade I'd make every day, and twice on Sundays cool
Re: Get Our Oil Wells Back, Oshiomhole Tells New Edo Nddc Rep by Kilode1: 5:13am On Feb 26, 2012
ndu_chucks:

There are hundreds of theories of government that could work well in Nigeria including the one discussed by the above posters. Many of these theories have been written down and are gathering dust is one university or the other. Serious achievers would participate in the existing process by running for local/state/fed elective offices to implement their good ideas. No amount of theory or wishful thinking do.

You people need to start pooling your financial and political resources so that your ideas will become realities. It is quite possible that those who currently wield  real power will continue to do so for decades to come, while you all remain on NL with your theories and ideas.  

Alhaji Chukwuma, I'll like to formally inform you that I have officially registered with a political party, will you fund my campaign/election ?? grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2017 Ogun State Christmas Carol Service In Pictures / Massey: Update On The Largest Sub-Saharan Children's Hospital / Okada Accidents Killed 107 In Two Years – LASG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.