Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,636 members, 7,813,100 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:02 AM

Proposal For Nairaland-berean Bible Study Series - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Proposal For Nairaland-berean Bible Study Series (987 Views)

My Collections On Christ's Second Coming- Bible Study Series / My Collections On Christ's Second Coming- Bible Study Series / Complete Bible Study Series (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Proposal For Nairaland-berean Bible Study Series by amor4ce(m): 2:31am On Feb 25, 2012
I have a suggestion based on an attempt to use the Berean model of Bible Study (Acts 17:11). How about starting a Bible Series of threads on each Book of the Bible where attempts would be made at arriving at thorough understandings of each chapter. The first could be on Genesis for like 2 weeks (or whatever acceptable threshold) followed by Exodus and so on in that order with each thread beginning with a compilation of suggested topics for discussion and clarification, and no reference to the next Book such that the Book being discussed would have as its foundation the discussions of previous ones. By the time the New Testament is reached there should have been enough grasp useful in seeing clearly issues in the New Testament like Sabbath, Tithes and the Law, and so on. There could also be a sticky thread like this one where the link to each thread of the Bible Book being discussed would be progressively added. God is merciful and I am sure HE wants to guide us. What do you think?
Re: Proposal For Nairaland-berean Bible Study Series by Joagbaje(m): 2:54am On Feb 25, 2012
It will take over five years to comment on the verses of the bible. You can't do genesis in 2 weeks. I thinks it's better to deal with topics than verses
Re: Proposal For Nairaland-berean Bible Study Series by amor4ce(m): 3:03am On Feb 25, 2012
I agree that 2-4 weeks is quite short but by the time Revelations would have been covered then the series would serve as a useful reference and foundation for topics. It could also be used to sort of streamline and reduce the length of certain topics like the tithes thread for instance.
Re: Proposal For Nairaland-berean Bible Study Series by Goshen360(m): 4:28am On Feb 25, 2012
@ Poster, Its a good idea you and i have discussed in one of the later forum but to be honest, it not an easy task. I will comment on it intensively later. I have same idea but you need to consider a lot of things. I will talk intensively later.
Re: Proposal For Nairaland-berean Bible Study Series by ichuka(m): 7:03am On Feb 25, 2012
@op
great idea,my take is that Genesis might take you a year at least.when are you starting.
Re: Proposal For Nairaland-berean Bible Study Series by Chuksxp: 7:46am On Feb 25, 2012
Nice idea! But a lot of factors may hinder it. But if it's God's will then He would give us the grace to do so despite the obstacles.
Re: Proposal For Nairaland-berean Bible Study Series by emofine2(f): 10:24am On Feb 25, 2012
This does sound like a good idea. I’m not too sure about the time frame but you have expressed that a more suitable period may hold.

and no reference to the next Book such that the Book being discussed would have as its foundation the discussions of previous ones

I doubt such would be possible. Studying a particular book doesn’t mean the other books should be made redundant for that time period, some may even serve to complement the passage under inspection at that moment.

But if the idea of this thread proves unfeasible why doesn’t someone take the initiative to create a Christian Q & A thread similar to the Muslim one tbaba1234 created. undecided
Re: Proposal For Nairaland-berean Bible Study Series by amor4ce(m): 9:47pm On Feb 25, 2012
we can take the first step here by discussing the modalities to adopt.
Re: Proposal For Nairaland-berean Bible Study Series by Goshen360(m): 12:38am On Feb 26, 2012
amor4ce:

we can take the first step here by discussing the modalities to adopt.

Exactly, permit me some time, am working on some ideas. will come up with some suggestions later.
Re: Proposal For Nairaland-berean Bible Study Series by Image123(m): 2:00pm On Feb 26, 2012
World War 3 you want to start?
Re: Proposal For Nairaland-berean Bible Study Series by Nobody: 3:36pm On Feb 26, 2012
Image123:

World War 3 you want to start?
lol,
Re: Proposal For Nairaland-berean Bible Study Series by Image123(m): 4:46pm On Feb 26, 2012
musKeeto:

lol,
This was said that it might be fulfilled, which was spaken by the praphet Jobu, "at destruction and famine, thou shalt laugh".
Re: Proposal For Nairaland-berean Bible Study Series by Nobody: 5:04pm On Feb 26, 2012
Image123:

This was said that it might be fulfilled, which was spaken by the praphet Jobu, "at destruction and famine, thou shalt laugh".
Lmao,

USA - JoAgbaje
UK - mabell, newmi

Iran - Goshen360
Re: Proposal For Nairaland-berean Bible Study Series by Image123(m): 5:39pm On Feb 26, 2012
What of frosbel, enigma, AIO, God2man and co? Hope i'm not somalia or something?
Re: Proposal For Nairaland-berean Bible Study Series by Nobody: 5:51pm On Feb 26, 2012
Lmao,
UN, cheesy Ununited nations cheesy
Re: Proposal For Nairaland-berean Bible Study Series by Goshen360(m): 5:53pm On Feb 26, 2012
Hey musKeeto, whatz up? Becareful,lol
Re: Proposal For Nairaland-berean Bible Study Series by Goshen360(m): 6:27pm On Feb 26, 2012
HELLO EVERYONE,

FIRST, I WILL LIKE TO SUGGEST FEW THINGS. WHATEVER WE ALL AGREE TO DO THEN WE CAN CONTINUE. THE FOLLOWING ARE MY FEW SUGGESTIONS:

1. BIBLE STUDY IS NOT BIBLE READING. SOMEONE LIKE ME CAN TAKE A WHOLE DAY TO LOOK INTO THE DEPTH OF JUST ONE VERSE AND CROSS REFERENCE IT. BIBLE STUDIES ALSO INVOLVES ALLOWING THE BIBLE TO EXPLAIN ITSELF AND NOT JUST SPILLING OUT ANYTHING OUT OF OUR MOUTH. HENCE, IT TAKES LONGER TIME LIKE JOAGBAJE SAID, WE CAN TAKE SEVERAL MONTHS ON ONE BOOK OF THE BIBLE, KEEP IN MIND ALSO QUESTIONS WILL GENERATE AND THIS WILL SLOW US DOWN. THEREFORE, MY FIRST SUGGESTION IS THAT WE DO ONLY NEW TESTAMENT AS ONLY NEW TESTAMENT APPLIES TO US IN THIS PRESENT TIME. THIS IS HOW I BELIEVE SO,

Hebrews 1:1-5 (NIV)

In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe. The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs. For to which of the angels did God ever say, "You are my Son; today I have become your Father"? Or again, "I will be his Father, and he will be my Son"?

In context, the bible is divided into three (3) different ages of time. Below are the divisions:

1. The Patriarch Age: Genesis to Exodus 19.

This age and period existed from Genesis to exodus 19, where the children of Israel was free from Egyptian slavery and the nation of Israel formed and then the Law was given to them. This Age and period is also known or called the pre-law age. During this time, God spoke to man through fathers or patriarchs of each family and sometimes through angels in order to communicate God's will, testament or covenant.

A testament simply means, a will, contract, an agreement or a covenant which God established with/for man. The Old testament Laws were for people who lived before and during Christ. The new testament Laws of Christ are for all of us who came after the death of Christ. The cross divided the old and new testament. Therefore, the bible as it regards to old testament is not a set of book from Genesis to Malachi but rather Exodus 20 to Gospel of John in context.

2. The Israelites or Jewish Age. Exodus 20 - Death of Christ.

God in his covenant (testament) with the seed of Abraham could not establish His will or testament with the children of Israel when they are in bondage in Egypt. God had to first bring them out first to fulfill His covenant or agreement he made with Abraham. Exodus 20 accomplished that purpose and the nation of Israel was established. During this period, many things took place such as, the law was given, God appointed Prophets, Kings, Judges, etc hence we have books of the bible such as the prophets, kings, wisdom books etc. Christ was born under the law and lived under the law. During this time of Christ living under the law, Christ was also establishing the new law which will take effect after His death and will thereafter be called the new testament.

"So now I (JESUS) am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples." John 13:34-35, NLT

3. The Christian Age. Acts of the Apostles to Revelation.

This is the third age and time. It is named after Christ. It is the last and final age. This is the age and times we are today and will continue till the return of Christ.

Biblically and speaking the truth, we do not have anything to do with the laws and pre-law EXCEPT for learning from examples of things such as faith, love and obedience as it is also found and applies to us in our new commandment/testament. 1 Cor. 10:11 says, These things happened to them (the Israelites) as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the fulfillment of the ages has come.

By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear. Heb 8:13,NIV

That first covenant between God and Israel had regulations for worship and a place of worship here on earth. Heb 9:1, NLT.

having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross. Colossians 2:14, NIV.

For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance--now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. In the case of a will, it is necessary to prove the death of the one who made it, because a will is in force only when somebody has died; it never takes effect while the one who made it is living. Heb 9:15-17, NIV

and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch. Acts 11: 26, NIV

When he found him, he brought him back to Antioch. Both of them stayed there with the church for a full year, teaching large crowds of people. (It was at Antioch that the believers were first called Christians.) Acts 11:26 NLT

So this is why I believe we should do only the new testament if at all we should attempt this course. Let us also bear in mind, IT WILL TAKE A LOT OT TIME.

2. I WANT SO SUGGEST WE SHOULD JUST ENLIGHTEN OURSELVES HOW TO DO A COMPREHENSIVE BIBLE STUDY HERE RATHER THAN WE ACTUALLY DOING IT HERE AND THEN EACH OF US CAN GO PERSONAL BIBLE STUDIES.

3. JOAGBAGE SUGGESTED WE DEAL WITH TOPICS. I THINK I SUPPORT WE DO TOPICS ALSO. BIBLE STUDIES IN MY OPINION IS A GOOD IDEA BUT IT WILL TAKE FOREVER, ESPECIALLY ON THIS KIND OF FORUM.

THANK YOU GUYS.
Re: Proposal For Nairaland-berean Bible Study Series by reveal: 3:28pm On Feb 27, 2012
@all,
I think it is a shame that even though each one thought that what the poster suggested is a good idea. You all found one reason or the other to shoot it down.I have seen posts on this forum on several other topics that people spend time to reserach and then make contributions, why can we not do the same for the word of God.
I will suggest something is started either a book by book study or by topics.

@goshen360
Your statement may lead people to believe that they do not need to read the old testament, which the examples of the apostles or Christ do not teach us. The whole of the Bible points a man to Jesus Christ, while the testaments points to the agreements God made with men (one through Moses and the law, the other a promise given to Abraham and fulfilled in our Lord Jesus) See Heb 8 and Gal 3
Re: Proposal For Nairaland-berean Bible Study Series by Goshen360(m): 3:31pm On Feb 27, 2012
^^^ mine is a suggestion. I do not hold final say here. we all agree. I didn't mean we should not read old testament but since the new applies to us today, based on my understanding of the bible, we should concentrate to study the new while making references to the old. Thanks though. Let's contribute and let's start something.
Re: Proposal For Nairaland-berean Bible Study Series by amor4ce(m): 12:25am On Mar 01, 2012
goshen360, I agree with your suggestion #2. However, the prophecies mentioned in the Prophets are still being fulfilled hence we should not avoid them. As you can see a topic here is already being debated - whether or not to include the Old Testament. As per the ole covenant, note that it is still aging as the Saviour hasn't yet gathered His scattered sheep (Ezekiel 34, 336 & 37; John 12:51-52). We could come up with topics per Book. The main point is that whenever each of us studies the Bible, even during church services, we should use the Berean model of cross-checking with the Scriptures and not swallow what we see and hear hook, line and sinker.

I have my own work as seen on my blog concerning HIS scattered sheep.
Re: Proposal For Nairaland-berean Bible Study Series by Goshen360(m): 12:44am On Mar 01, 2012
^^^
What exactly should we do now. Sometimes when you wait for people, you r not gonna do nothing. The Lord is personally speaking to me also to do this bible study on NL apart from my personal studies but i cannot do it alone on NL. Let's decide what to do and let's start something, old or new. Thanks
Re: Proposal For Nairaland-berean Bible Study Series by amor4ce(m): 2:54am On Mar 01, 2012
How about a compilation of the most misinterpreted topics, maybe grouped according to the Books?

(1) (Reply)

Are Pastors Surposed To Be Paid To Do God's Work? / Prayer! Prayer! Unn Post Ume Candidates, Don't miss this! / The Fastest Growing Religion In America Is Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.