Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,716 members, 7,816,948 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:54 PM

Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? (9742 Views)

9 Tips For Keeping The Spark Alive In Your Marriage / Do Live-In Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? / Common Problems Nigerians Living Abroad Face From Relatives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by JayCee2010: 10:10pm On Feb 25, 2012
In our african tradition its normal for relatives to move in with a couple: to assist with the house chores or to baby sit the kids or in most cases just to have a place to stay.

However, when there are too many people in the house it sometimes interferes with the couples relationship, communication and se.x llife may be affected as well (especially if the relatives are the wifes people lol)

So is It really helpful to a marriage for relatives to move in with a couple?? Should a new couple avoid it if they can??
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by MrsChima1(f): 10:16pm On Feb 25, 2012
[size=44pt]Yes!![/size]
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by Killz3(m): 10:29pm On Feb 25, 2012
^^^
Stop shouting. . . We know! grin
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by mobf: 10:33pm On Feb 25, 2012
JayCee2010:

In our african tradition its normal for relatives to move in with a couple: to assist with the house chores or to baby sit the kids or in most cases just to have a place to stay.

However, when there are too many people in the house it sometimes interferes with the couples relationship, communication and se.x llife may be affected as well (especially if the relatives are the wifes people lol)
So is It really helpful to a marriage for relatives to move in with a couple?? Should a new couple avoid it if they can??
grin grin angry angry angry
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by MrsChima1(f): 10:37pm On Feb 25, 2012
The relatives doesn't have to move in to help out. They can live in their own homes and come over whenever needed.

If they do not have a place to live then they can live with single relatives. Married couples need their privacy and opportunity to bond without outside factors.
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by MrsChima1(f): 12:03am On Feb 26, 2012
~Killz~:

^^^

~Killz~:

^^^

At first, I was on board with single relatives staying with us in spare bedroom to help them get on their feet, but of course Chima wasn't down for that because he emphasized a marital home isn't for single people.

Do you agree?
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by Ranoscky(m): 12:50am On Feb 26, 2012
Newly married couples are to be given a space to breath fresh air. But, after some years, i have no problems with whoever wants to come and stay with us.
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by mobf: 1:01am On Feb 26, 2012
^you sure about that?
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by modavi: 1:24am On Feb 26, 2012
undecided
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by omega25red(m): 1:26am On Feb 26, 2012
Mrs, Chima:

[size=44pt]Yes!![/size]
the one and only answer
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by Harbb: 3:03am On Feb 26, 2012
Relatives moving in sometimes helps but it could be troublesome as well.
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by ojubi(m): 10:49am On Feb 26, 2012
Even as a single man staying alone is nonnegociable, talkless of when i am married.
In order to avoid my mum and siblings interfering with my home when am married, i am rather making things comfortable for them now.
They can come briefly and go but staying with us permenently?
Nba-nu.

2 Likes

Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by 234GT(m): 11:00am On Feb 26, 2012
When I marry, I will never allow my relatives or my wife's relatives to stay in my house. It just doesnt work out. Where were the relatives staying before we married? Or would they be sleeping on the streets had I or my wife not married? I dont see any need for extra help with house chores. A couple should be able to take care of their home and husbands should help their wives with some chores.

2 Likes

Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by Iranoladun(f): 11:01am On Feb 26, 2012
[color=#770077][/color] for a young couple I will say no relative. If they need help let them get someone that comes in on weekend to do general cleaning & laundry (relative or paid help). If they have a baby a relative may come for a short while to assist. Young couple need to study each other, fight & make up, bond and set the ground rules in their own house before relatives undue interference.

However it all depend on how accommodating they are and the family background. Don't go and marry Mother Theresa and expect that he/she won't be running the home like a hostel/hotel.

Its also better to discuss and agree on all this during courtship though so there are less surprises.
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by mkmyers45(m): 11:10am On Feb 26, 2012
Depends on how big your house is, grin grin grin
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by tEsLim(m): 11:27am On Feb 26, 2012
If the house is not big dont have live in relative. IF you dont have charllete / bq at the back of the house. F.cking you wife and she can't scream as she would like to at night. And you can't Bleep hard and fast , because of the slap sound that comes when you it fast. You feel like there is a spy / intruder, can't kiss randomly. Well almost same with grown kids in the house or growing kids. Or kids that like attention.

2 Likes

Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by agiboma(f): 11:55am On Feb 26, 2012
tEsLim:

If the house is not big dont have live in relative. IF you dont have charllete / bq at the back of the house. F.cking you wife and she can't scream as she would like to at night. And you can't bleep hard and fast , because of the slap sound that comes when you it fast. You feel like there is a spy / intruder, can't kiss randomly. Well almost same with grown kids in the house or growing kids. Or kids that like attention.

lol
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by ekwynwa: 12:26pm On Feb 26, 2012
Mrs, Chima:

[size=44pt]Yes!![/size]

Seconded tongue

Third-ed

Fourth-ed

Fifth-ed

Thousand-ed

Million-ed

Billion-ed

Trillion-ed

Zillion-ed cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by Ninilowo(m): 12:40pm On Feb 26, 2012
Arrant nonsense. People should stay on their own. If their people are not married they sleep outside eh"
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by Beync(f): 12:45pm On Feb 26, 2012
One of my boss was in the office when his father inlaw called him that his on his way to his house. he was like 'what? beside, it's not up to 3 days another brother inlaw came and collected money for school fees. this time he told the man on phone that  work took him out of town and it may take him one month before he'l come back. he called his wife to give her father t.p when he arrive that he is out of town due to work. So u can imagine how unrest he'l be feeling inside becos of relatives. married people need space, not clinging. too much of interference can lead to problems in the house.
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by gempo(m): 12:54pm On Feb 26, 2012
If you are visiting or coming to help out or whatever, it should always be on invitation. If it is a temporal accommodation you are looking for, you should have a plan or timetable which you present to them and let them accept or agree before you come over. Don't ever force yourself on them.
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Feb 26, 2012
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by GWslim(f): 1:07pm On Feb 26, 2012
it is a two way issue my guys.
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by Basics007: 1:46pm On Feb 26, 2012
Yes they do. Especially for newly wedded who would love to have sex everytime they brush past each other. Disadvantages far outweighs the advantages
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by gulfer: 2:25pm On Feb 26, 2012
Yes they do and irreparably so.
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by JayCee2010: 3:49pm On Feb 26, 2012
Thanks for d responses everyone. I also agree dat live-in relatives have a way of interfering in a marriage, but its not easy to turn ones back on family members in need. Especially those who need a place to stay. Besides, some relatives can be geninely helpful and respect privacy.

The worst part is when they show up unannounced and uninvited to spend a couple of days and on leaving they expect you to drop transport fare and "something small" (like I have a money minting machine under my bed) lool

If they are ur wifes people, she may prefer to hang out with them, speaking their language (that you don't understand) making you feel like an outcast in ur own home.

Don't get me started on when they get TOO comfortable in ur house and prevent you from watching the TV channel of your choice (in my own house)! Lmao

Its a lose-lose situation: u take them in and risk ruining ur peaceful home; keep them out and risk being the wicked brother, uncle or in-law (or sister, aunty as the case may be)!
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by femmy2010(m): 4:57pm On Feb 26, 2012
Yes
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by safarigirl(f): 5:53pm On Feb 26, 2012
Yes! They cause friction and disagreements between couoples.
They invade on their privacy hence they can't practice some random stuff couples do in relationships
Ǡŋ₫ with the really useless relatives, ωħ☺ only want to eat ǡŋ₫ sleep without contributing nada, they drain the family financially
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by FlyboyZee: 8:13pm On Feb 26, 2012
Its most annoying, especially when they begin to speak their language they know you don't understand and feels there is nothing wrong with it.
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by ocelot2006(m): 8:20pm On Feb 26, 2012
I agree with Mrs Chima. That's why I banned my relatives and in-laws from living with us. My wife and I need our privacy.
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by Omofranca(f): 8:53pm On Feb 26, 2012
Where the live in relative(s) is genuinely friendly with the wife and respects her as the queen of the home, his or her presence may help reduce quarells and tension. There may be no spark in the marriage even if it's only husband and wife living in the house.
Re: Do Live-in Relatives Ruin The Spark In A Marriage? by lastpage: 10:03pm On Feb 26, 2012
TWO is Company, more than that is CROWD!

Even children ruin the love life a bit.

But you gotta have a big house to ensure a little privacy with your spouse so that the sparks can really fly!

Me and wifey enjoy walking around nakedly in the house  but found it impossible with our "good"  angry angry children around!

Lastpage!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Questions For Married Men / I Need Your Opinions on my marriage / Under What Circumstances Would You Adopt A Child?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.