Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,316 members, 7,819,073 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:53 AM

Islam Is Peace? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Islam Is Peace? (1310 Views)

Punishment For Adultery In Islam Is Not Stoning To Death / Islam is Against Wife Oppression / How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Islam Is Peace? by Kay17: 9:11am On Feb 27, 2012
Isn't it misleading to say Islam is a peaceful religion? It invokes the images of Buddhist monks and Jainism in which its totally forbidden to raise arms and strike a fellow human and even life. Whether they are entitled to self defence is a big controversy.

But that's entirely different from Islam, to Islam violence is another means and tool of the Islamic state. It could be wielded to acquire and secure conquests, to destroy perceived enemies. Even the Prophet Muhammed was also a military leader and conqueror as well as a spiritual leader.

By comparing Islam with Buddhism and Jainism, its very difficult to say its a religion of Peace. Shouldn't it be described as a Religion of Justice? Since Islam sees a life thereafter necessary solely to dispense justice.
Re: Islam Is Peace? by tbaba12345: 10:20am On Feb 27, 2012
Can there be peace without Justice?

Islam is a practical religion. It is one that gives instructions in times of peace and war. But it always inclines towards peace

It understands that there will be conflict and wars so it gives conditions in the times of wars:

1. Do not hurt non-combatants, animals, women, children and old folks.

2. Do not even cut down trees/vegetation,

Fighting in wars comes with caveats: Muslims are warned not to go beyond limits and[b] to be keen to make peace with those inclined to peace:[/b]

2:190. Fight in the way of God those who fight you[b] but do not transgress. Indeed, God does not like transgressors.[/b]

192. And if they cease, then indeed, God is Forgiving and Merciful

193. Fight them until there is no [more] fitnah and [until] religion [i.e., worship] is [acknowledged to be] for God. But if they cease, then there is to be no aggression [i.e., assault] except against the oppressors. ( fitnah -persecution, oppression, injustice)

Now the word used "Qitaal" refers to combat in warfare,

So whilst you can fight for your rights or in self defence , you must not trangress bounds and must be inclined to peace and Justice.

The point is this, Islam is practical way of life and it covers how a state and individuals within that state deal with all issues including peace and war.
Re: Islam Is Peace? by Kay17: 10:35am On Feb 27, 2012
There can be Peace without Justice, there can be peace and fairness without justice. Justice has is a brother of laws, rules and rigidity. Justice is blind adherence to laws. Justice is an eye for an eye and it makes the world go blind. There can be no justice without laws

Buddhists had discovered this long ago. Wars and struggles lead to exhaustion both physical and spiritual.

An army is not an agent of peace but master of war, a virgin can't have sex for the purpose of preserving her virginity.
Re: Islam Is Peace? by mazaje(m): 10:54am On Feb 27, 2012
Islam is more a religion of justice as the OP puts it. . . .Nothing wrong with that any way, but it can hardly be characterized as a religion of peace. . .
Re: Islam Is Peace? by tbaba12345: 12:03pm On Feb 27, 2012
Kay 17:

There can be Peace without Justice, there can be peace and fairness without justice. Justice has is a brother of laws, rules and rigidity. Justice is blind adherence to laws. Justice is an eye for an eye and it makes the world go blind. There can be no justice without laws

Buddhists had discovered this long ago. Wars and struggles lead to exhaustion both physical and spiritual.

An army is not an agent of peace but master of war, a virgin can't Be Intimate for the purpose of preserving her virginity.

The Buddhists have some good attributes but their way of life is not practical in the real world.

Peace without Justice will sooner or later break down: that is why we had the civil movement in America, the fight against apartheid and currently the Arab Revolution,

An oppressor will never give you freedom/Justice without a fight,

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

"Whoever amongst you sees anything objectionable, let him change it with his hand, if he is not able, then with his tongue, and if he is not even able to do so, then with his heart, and the latter is the weakest form of faith."[Muslim].

As muslims, we believe that true peace/tranquility comes from the remembrance of your lord:

"Truly, it is by the Remembrance of Allah that hearts find rest." [Qur'an, 13.28]

Peace without Justice does not last,
Re: Islam Is Peace? by Kay17: 12:39pm On Feb 27, 2012
The Buddhists have been practising their doctrines for centuries, they have peaceful means of opposing oppression by sending powerful messages of self sacrifice, civil disobedience. Peace is never sacrificed at the altar of war or violence. A warrior with blood soaked hands can't claim to be a saint of peace.

Peace is not impracticable.
Re: Islam Is Peace? by Jenwitemi(m): 12:50pm On Feb 27, 2012
If a religion is of peace, it will strive for equality and justice. Two elements that are necessary for peace. ISLAM, unfortunately, is primarily a virulently FASCIST religion that has one purpose only, TO IMPOSE ISLAM AND SHARIA LAW all over the planet. I am sorry to say this, but a religion with such presets will never be peaceful even if it tries.
Re: Islam Is Peace? by tbaba12345: 1:08pm On Feb 27, 2012
Jenwitemi:

If a religion is of peace, it will strive for equality and justice. Two elements that are necessary for peace. ISLAM, unfortunately, is primarily a virulently FASCIST religion that has one purpose only, TO IMPOSE ISLAM AND SHARIA LAW all over the planet. I am sorry to say this, but a religion with such presets will never be peaceful even if it tries.

I think your problem lies with your understanding of Islam,

First of all, Sharia law is only applicable to muslims, Even in an islamic state , Non-muslims can Judge by their own law.

2. No-one wants to impose Islam on you:: There is no compulsion in Religion.

There shall be no compulsion in [acceptance of] the religion. The right course has become clear from the wrong. So whoever disbelieves in taghut and believes in God has grasped the most trustworthy handhold with no break in it. And God is Hearing and Knowing. (Quran 2:256)

3. Learn about Islam the right way,
Re: Islam Is Peace? by mazaje(m): 1:20pm On Feb 27, 2012
tbaba12345:

First of all, Sharia law is only applicable to muslims, Even in an islamic state , Non-muslims can Judge by their own law.

There shall be no compulsion in [acceptance of] the religion. The right course has become clear from the wrong. So whoever disbelieves in taghut and believes in God has grasped the most trustworthy handhold with no break in it. And God is Hearing and Knowing. (Quran 2:256)

What is the punishment for apostasy in islam if there is no compulsion in religion?. . .A religion where its God(Allah) is said to have told his followers in their scriptures that he dislikes the unbelievers can not promote peace, after all the alleged creator of the universe dislikes them(infidels). . .
Re: Islam Is Peace? by Jenwitemi(m): 1:23pm On Feb 27, 2012
Tell that to the fundamentalist imama preaching hate religious messages all over the place.
tbaba12345:

There shall be no compulsion in [acceptance of] the religion. The right course has become clear from the wrong. So whoever disbelieves in taghut and believes in God has grasped the most trustworthy handhold with no break in it. And God is Hearing and Knowing
. (Quran 2:256)

The truth is i am personally not that interested in Islam to bother myself learning about it because it really is not that interesting to me as a person. I see Islam as just another means of  cultural imposition of certain race of humans(The arabs) on other races via religious doctrines.
tbaba12345:

Re: Islam Is Peace? by tbaba12345: 1:36pm On Feb 27, 2012
mazaje:

What is the punishment for apostasy in islam if there is no compulsion in religion?. . .A religion where its God(Allah) is said to have told his followers in their scriptures that he dislikes the unbelievers can not promote peace, after all the alleged creator of the universe dislikes them(infidels). . .

First of all, there is no term like Infidels in Islam::

A kafir = One who rejects the truth/ one who rejects faith

No one is condemned, unless he is presented with the truth in its real form and he rejects it.

“… And We never punish until We have sent a Messenger (to give warning).” [al-Israa’ 17:15].

I have addressed the law of apostasy numerous times: I will do it one more time

the act of simply converting is not punishable by death. It is easy to quote hadiths but it is important to understand the history and the context of every hadith. The verses quoted from the Quran have nothing to do with the apostasy law.

The first thing to say is that in islam, there is no compulsion in religion,  The Quran(translated) states:

Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error: whoever rejects evil and believes in Allah hath grasped the most trustworthy hand-hold, that never breaks. And Allah heareth and knoweth all things. (Quran 2:256)

However in an Islamic state, there are certain conditions where conversion is accompanied with acts that could be considered treasonable by the state. The punishment for treason is death.

Like i said, the act of just conversion is not punishable in most cases, however if that conversion is accompanied by an attempt to discredit Islam or propagate another religion within the islamic state, It is considered treasonable.

The apostacy law came about during the time of the prophet;

In order to discredit Islam, some Jews in medina would accept islam in the day and  leave by sunset; They continued to do so until the law was put in place.

Guess how many people did so the next day? None.

The point is this, under an Islamic state:

If you want to convert,you are free.  however your conversion should not be accompanied by actions that are deemed treasonable by the state.

Explanation of the law

Afzal ur-Rahman in Muhammad, Blessing for Mankind, Seerah Foundation, London, Revised Second Edition, 1988, p. 218 under "Apostasy" states:

"People who turn away from Islam and do not repent but wage war and create mischief in the land are also considered as murderers

The punishment can only be carried out by an Islamic state.

There is a longer more detailed explanation on this site

http://islamnewsroom.com/if-someone-leaves-islam-hot-topics-45
Re: Islam Is Peace? by tbaba12345: 1:38pm On Feb 27, 2012
Jenwitemi:

Tell that to the fundamentalist imama preaching hate religious messages all over the place.

The truth is i am personally not that interested in Islam to bother myself learning about it because it really is not that interesting to me as a person. I see Islam as just another means of  cultural imposition of certain race of humans(The arabs) on other races via religious doctrines.

I hope you do change your position and at least read a translation of the Quran:

Either way, all the best
Re: Islam Is Peace? by emofine2(f): 1:47pm On Feb 27, 2012
I thought "Islam" meant submission? undecided
Re: Islam Is Peace? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Feb 27, 2012
X + PEACE = ALLAH

Find the value of X , where X is ISLAM

ISLAM + PEACE = ALLAH

ISLAM = ALLAH - PEACE

Therefore ISLAM is the absence of PEACE
Re: Islam Is Peace? by tbaba12345: 2:08pm On Feb 27, 2012
emöfine:

I thought "Islam" meant submission? undecided

Islam means submission:: You are right

(1) (Reply)

Super Funny Joke "Second Wife" By Abdur Raheem Green / IERA Ground Breaking Dawah Trip To Africa (mission Africa) / How Can We Forget Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.