Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,036 members, 7,818,059 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:16 AM

How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? (3939 Views)

Fertility Issues And Contraception In Islam: / Ingredients Of Marital Love In Islam / Islam Is Peace? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by emofine2(f): 12:46pm On Jul 11, 2012
I recognize that there have been similar topics addressing this theme but usually authored from non-Muslim’s understanding of peace.

Islam as we all know is famously dubbed by its adherents as "the religion of peace". A title that is often met with disapproval, disagreement and often debate by many outside the Muslim faith.

But it could even be argued that it is specific bad elements that rock the boat of peace and that is down to the individuals not Islam. However what diagnosis is to be given when we look at the foundation and spread of Islam?

I had for some time often wondered: Can an expansionist, monotheistic religion with a history of militancy be called the "religion of peace"?
Of course my own reasoning was affected by how I understood peace to be.

Which leads me to ask: How Is "Peace" defined in Islam?
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by maclatunji: 9:36pm On Jul 11, 2012
I typed a response this afternoon but it was lost in transit. Later, God willing.
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by LagosShia: 10:42pm On Jul 11, 2012
well,that is a good question.

peace in Islam is very wide and can be understood from different angles.

first there is inner peace and outer peace.inner peace have to do with how mankind can attain spiritual and self-conscious peace within themselves.inner peace should bring about outter peace and put the Muslim at state of ease and conscious of the rights of others.those so called muslims who commit terrorism and crimes against humanity are therefore said not to be following Islam,which is the religion of peace.they are neither at peace with themselves nor with their Creator.

the Quran says:"It is with the rememberance of Allah that hearts are at rest".

then there is also the outter peace which has to do how mankind deal with one another.if man has inner peace,then he should behave well with others and act accordingly.therefore acts of fighting should only be in self-defense in order to deter enemies or bring back the state of peace that a Muslim enjoys within himself and in his society and the state of peace with His Creator.and that is self-defense.

any form of violent expansion or offensive wars are at odds with Islam.Islam expands through this:

"Invite to the way of your Lord with wisdom and good instruction, and argue with them in a way that is best. Indeed, your Lord is most knowing of who has strayed from His way, and He is most knowing of who is [rightly] guided".

being at peace with one's Creator can be achieved by submitting to His teachings and commands and doing what pleases Him and believing in Him.that is total submission,and thus in arabic there is a connecting mean between "Islam" (submission) and "salam" (peace)."salam" comes from "islam" to Allah (swt).
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by emofine2(f): 11:27pm On Jul 12, 2012
LagosShia thanks for your response but I have a couple of questions...

LagosShia: then there is also the outter peace which has to do how mankind deal with one another.if man has inner peace,then he should behave well with others and act accordingly.therefore acts of fighting should only be in self-defense in order to deter enemies or bring back the state of peace that a Muslim enjoys within himself and in his society and the state of peace with His Creator.and that is self-defense.

Hmm “fighting for peace”?

Does peace and defence fit together?
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by emofine2(f): 11:28pm On Jul 12, 2012
maclatunji: I typed a response this afternoon but it was lost in transit. Later, God willing.

How did it get lost in transit? shocked

However I would still like to read at least a semblance of your original explanation if you can remember what you had intended to post.
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by LagosShia: 11:49pm On Jul 12, 2012
emöfine2: LagosShia thanks for your response but I have a couple of questions...

Hmm “fighting for peace”?

Does peace and defence fit together?

Well your question is a general one.it is not only a muslim that can answer.anyone can have his pov.I sugguest you answer your question and tell what you think.
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by MacDaddy01: 11:58pm On Jul 12, 2012
LagosShia:

Well your question is a general one.it is not only a muslim that can answer.anyone can have his pov.I sugguest you answer your question and tell what you think.

On the aggregate, the evidence is not good for Islam;

No islamic/Sharia country in the top 10 peaceful nations

Least peaceful on the global peace index are islamic with about 5 islamic countries in the 10 least peaceful countries
https://www.nairaland.com/987827/request-evidence-greatness-truthfulness-islam
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by Fulaman198(m): 2:28am On Jul 13, 2012
MacDaddy01:

On the aggregate, the evidence is not good for Islam;

No islamic/Sharia country in the top 10 peaceful nations

Least peaceful on the global peace index are islamic with about 5 islamic countries in the 10 least peaceful countries
https://www.nairaland.com/987827/request-evidence-greatness-truthfulness-islam

Peacefulness is a controversial and opinionated thing. Some of the most peaceful countries in the world are Islamic (Burkina Faso, Senegal, Mali (before this stupid war in Timbuktu), Niger, Chad)). Some of the most violent countries are Christian nations not to be mean (The Americas (United states, Haiti, Colombia, Cuba, Mexico, Canada, and Western nations in general). Peace can not be associated with religion, it has to be connected to the individual(s) who want peace. Human beings are the ones who create conflict, not their respective religions.
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by isalegan2: 3:34am On Jul 13, 2012
LagosShia: well,that is a good question.

peace in Islam is very wide and can be understood from different angles.

first there is inner peace and outer peace.inner peace have to do with how mankind can attain spiritual and self-conscious peace within themselves.inner peace should bring about outter peace and put the Muslim at state of ease and conscious of the rights of others.those so called muslims who commit terrorism and crimes against humanity are therefore said not to be following Islam,which is the religion of peace.they are neither at peace with themselves nor with their Creator.

the Quran says:"It is with the rememberance of Allah that hearts are at rest".

then there is also the outter peace which has to do how mankind deal with one another.if man has inner peace,then he should behave well with others and act accordingly.therefore acts of fighting should only be in self-defense in order to deter enemies or bring back the state of peace that a Muslim enjoys within himself and in his society and the state of peace with His Creator.and that is self-defense.

any form of violent expansion or offensive wars are at odds with Islam.Islam expands through this:

"Invite to the way of your Lord with wisdom and good instruction, and argue with them in a way that is best. Indeed, your Lord is most knowing of who has strayed from His way, and He is most knowing of who is [rightly] guided".

being at peace with one's Creator can be achieved by submitting to His teachings and commands and doing what pleases Him and believing in Him.that is total submission,and thus in arabic there is a connecting mean between "Islam" (submission) and "salam" (peace)."salam" comes from "islam" to Allah (swt).

applause for your post, brother. salaam.
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by LagosShia: 10:23am On Jul 13, 2012
isale_gan2:

applause for your post, brother. salaam.

Alhamdulillah.

wa alaikum assalam.
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by MacDaddy01: 10:39am On Jul 13, 2012
Fulaman198:

Peacefulness is a controversial and opinionated thing. Some of the most peaceful countries in the world are Islamic (Burkina Faso, Senegal, Mali (before this stupid war in Timbuktu), Niger, Chad)). Some of the most violent countries are Christian nations not to be mean (The Americas (United states, Haiti, Colombia, Cuba, Mexico, Canada, and Western nations in general). Peace can not be associated with religion, it has to be connected to the individual(s) who want peace. Human beings are the ones who create conflict, not their respective religions.

You are talking nonsense. Burkina Faso, Chad and Mali are peaceful? Are you serious? Do you take me to be fool? Please stop the lies. urkina faso is aplace where political freedoms and human rights are abuse. Mali just had a miltary coup detat. As for Chad, I just have to say that, as a Nigerian, you lost me on that one.

Peaceful is is quite subjective no doubt however, the golbal peace index used many measures/factors to come up with their peace index.

-level of criminality in the country/organised crime
-internal or external wars
-level of respect for human rights
-politcal instability.
etc

For you just to dismiss the global peace index and list countries that are less peaceful compared to others, is akin to buring your head in the sand.

Currently, I can not see where Islam, on an aggregate level, is good for the countries or socieities. Give me evidence against this and i will believe you.

1 Like

Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by Rafidi: 12:23pm On Jul 13, 2012
MacDaddy01:

You are talking nonsense. Burkina Faso, Chad and Mali are peaceful? Are you serious? Do you take me to be fool? Please stop the lies. urkina faso is aplace where political freedoms and human rights are abuse. Mali just had a miltary coup detat. As for Chad, I just have to say that, as a Nigerian, you lost me on that one.

Peaceful is is quite subjective no doubt however, the golbal peace index used many measures/factors to come up with their peace index.

-politcal instability.
etc

For you just to dismiss the global peace index and list countries that are less peaceful compared to others, is akin to buring your head in the sand.

Currently, I can not see where Islam, on an aggregate level, is good for the countries or socieities. Give me evidence against this and i will believe you.

a typical case of when a Muslim commits a crime,it is Islam that goes on trial.when thers commit crimes,no one talks about their religion or how they pray.

the fact remains that Muslim societies around the world are more peaceful and conducive for Muslims than non-muslim societies for non-muslims.how many robbery cases are reported in muslim countries? aside from the wars and wahhabi terrorists america has made to give Islam a bad image,Muslims are peaceful people.now an obsessed character like MacDaddy would use boko haram to judge over 1.5 billion muslims around the world.

1 Like

Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by MacDaddy01: 12:29pm On Jul 13, 2012
Rafidi :

a typical case of when a Muslim commits a crime,it is Islam that goes on trial.when thers commit crimes,no one talks about their religion or how they pray.

the fact remains that Muslim societies around the world are more peaceful and conducive for Muslims than non-muslim societies for non-muslims.how many robbery cases are reported in muslim countries? aside from the wars and wahhabi terrorists america has made to give Islam a bad image,Muslims are peaceful people.now a lunatic like MacDaddy would use boko haram to judge over 1.5 billion muslims around the world.

Calm down. I dont believe that all muslims are terrorist. My girlfriend was a muslim. There are moderates and there are extremist muslims and there are false moderates. The moderate muslim will not insult my girlfriend for moving with a kaffir

Moderates; respect other people's religion and are truthful about their religion
Falso moderates; they are very nice people but they lie about their religion. They always ignore the bad side of islam
Extremists; Boko haram

If you notice, I am asking for contrary evidence to my position. I am freindly with moderate muslims.
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by maclatunji: 12:53pm On Jul 13, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Calm down. I dont believe that all muslims are terrorist. My girlfriend was a muslim. There are moderates and there are extremist muslims and there are false moderates. The moderate muslim will not insult my girlfriend for moving with a kaffir

Moderates; respect other people's religion and are truthful about their religion
Falso moderates; they are very nice people but they lie about their religion. They always ignore the bad side of islam
Extremists; Boko haram

If you notice, I am asking for contrary evidence to my position. I am freindly with moderate muslims.

Save your questions for your numerous threads and let the lady who created this thread enjoy it.
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by MacDaddy01: 3:00pm On Jul 13, 2012
maclatunji:

Save your questions for your numerous threads and let the lady who created this thread enjoy it.

Seriously?? angry

Smh
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by MacDaddy01: 3:02pm On Jul 13, 2012
maclatunji:

Are my questions not on the topic of peace and Islam? Do you have a problem with me or atheists in general? Is anybody complaining on his thread about me?

When peeps derail my thread, you are nowhere.
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by Fulaman198(m): 3:19pm On Jul 13, 2012
MacDaddy01:

-politcal instability.
etc

I think you are brainwashed by Western media, because you are a Westerner. If it wasn't for the Coup in Mali, it is an extremely peaceful place. Compare crime in these African Sahelian nations to crime in Western countries and you will see there is no comparison. Quit posting rubbish you don't know about.
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by Fulaman198(m): 3:22pm On Jul 13, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Extremists; Boko haram

When there are murders in America, or any country for that matter is majority Christian no one ever says it is because of Christianity. Whenever it is Islam, people always blame Islam and not the individual him/herself. It has nothing to do with religion, it is only how the individual behaves. However, for some reason you can't seem to comprehend this.

Which country in those countries I listed besides Mali (Mali has always been peaceful before then, they have many tourists who visit Timbuktu during the Festival in the Desert which was canceled this year) do you hear of people being gang members, shooting people to death, and stuff like that? The KKK is still around (Ku Klux Klan), do you hear people blaming Christianity for their evil doings?
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by MacDaddy01: 3:50pm On Jul 13, 2012
Fulaman198:

I think you are brainwashed by Western media, because you are a Westerner. If it wasn't for the Coup in Mali, it is an extremely peaceful place. Compare crime in these African Sahelian nations to crime in Western countries and you will see there is no comparison. Quit posting rubbish you don't know about.

I am a Nigerian first and foremost. You are brainwashed to believe that all Westerners believe the western media. Even Americans nowadays dont trust their media after the Iraq war.

On topic, are you trying to tell me the West and Central african countries are peaceful? Where human rights are abused day in and day out? Where crime goes unpunished? Where the police is useless? Who told you Mali is peaceful? It is just like Nigeria, corrupt and backwards i the smaller towns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Mali
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by MacDaddy01: 3:53pm On Jul 13, 2012
Fulaman198:

When there are murders in America, or any country for that matter is majority Christian no one ever says it is because of Christianity. Whenever it is Islam, people always blame Islam and not the individual him/herself. It has nothing to do with religion, it is only how the individual behaves. However, for some reason you can't seem to comprehend this.

Which country in those countries I listed besides Mali (Mali has always been peaceful before then, they have many tourists who visit Timbuktu during the Festival in the Desert which was canceled this year) do you hear of people being gang members, shooting people to death, and stuff like that? The KKK is still around (Ku Klux Klan), do you hear people blaming Christianity for their evil doings?

America is not even in the top peaceful countries so keep quiet about America. Defend your Islamic communities or countries. Explain how islamic socieites are better when there is evidence to show that they are less peaceful

Your Timbuktu is being destroyed by militant islamists. Of course, the moderate muslims are complaining but the govt is failing them.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/07/13/156715515/destruction-of-timbuktus-treasures-continues-humanitarian-crisis-looms
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by Fulaman198(m): 3:59pm On Jul 13, 2012
MacDaddy01:

America is not even in the top peaceful countries so keep quiet about America. Defend your Islamic communities or countries. Explain how islamic socieites are better when there is evidence to show that they are less peaceful

Your Timbuktu is being destroyed by militant islamists. Of course, the moderate muslims are complaining but the govt is failing them.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/07/13/156715515/destruction-of-timbuktus-treasures-continues-humanitarian-crisis-looms

Obviously you have a reading comprehension problem. Before this little Skirmish in Mali, Mali was quite peaceful and hosted Festival in the desert every year in the Sahara in Timbuktu, Mali. People from Mauritania, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Burkina Faso who also play Sahelian music were also invited. Westerners would often frequent this event. This was before Militants decided to ruin the beautiful nation of Mali.

So I repeat myself again since you dodge the question like a HYPOCRITE. Why is it that crime rates in these so-called Muslim nations are much lower to that in the majority Christian nations like America, France, England, Spain, Colombia, Italy, Germany, Canada, Mexico, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Haiti, etc.? Explain that and quit dodging.
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by Fulaman198(m): 4:16pm On Jul 13, 2012
You can not blame a religion for a persons actions. Sadly people like MacDaddy do not understand this. I can't blame Christianity if a person decides to be a racist (Ku Klux Clan). I can not blame Christianity if a person decides to be a drug dealer (all Western/Westernized countries). I can not blame Christianity if a person decides to be one-sided and biast like a lot of Nigerian Christians I have met who have hatred for Muslims.

I can only blame those people for being who they are, for both Christianity and Islam do not preach or teach hatred for others.
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by MacDaddy01: 4:23pm On Jul 13, 2012
Fulaman198:

Obviously you have a reading comprehension problem. Before this little Skirmish in Mali, Mali was quite peaceful and hosted Festival in the desert every year in the Sahara in Timbuktu, Mali. People from Mauritania, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Burkina Faso who also play Sahelian music were also invited. Westerners would often frequent this event. This was before Militants decided to ruin the beautiful nation of Mali.

So I repeat myself again since you dodge the question like a HYPOCRITE. Why is it that crime rates in these so-called Muslim nations are much lower to that in the majority Christian nations like America, France, England, Spain, Colombia, Italy, Germany, Canada, Mexico, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Haiti, etc.? Explain that and quit dodging.

Crime rates? How much is rape reported in Sharia countries? How much is wife beating kept under the radar? Even without these problems your Sharia/islamic countries are less peaceful than other countries.

The country with the lowest crime rate is Iceland. ot a muslim country. Predoiminantly christian but a growing atheist population.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1DSGK_enGB420GB420&sugexp=chrome,mod=11&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=rape+under+reported+in+sharia
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by Fulaman198(m): 4:29pm On Jul 13, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Crime rates? How much is rape reported in Sharia countries? How much is wife beating kept under the radar? Even without these problems your Sharia/islamic countries are less peaceful than other countries.

The country with the lowest crime rate is Iceland. ot a muslim country. Predoiminantly christian but a growing atheist population.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1DSGK_enGB420GB420&sugexp=chrome,mod=11&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=rape+under+reported+in+sharia

Ask yourself these qustions about Christianity...

Wife beating happens everywhere in the world, it happens quite a bit in the Western world too. However they use political terms like "Domestic Violence" to cover stuff like that up. A good man never beats his wife.

Again, I sense hypocrisy and hatred towards Islam in all your posts. What about the women raped in Iraq by Western CHRISTIAN troops? What about the abuse of prisoners by Westerners who are Christians? I urge you to stop the hypocrisy and use your brain. You can not blame a religion for peoples actions. What about the bombing of innocents with the Atomic bomb in WWII by Christians? We can go on all day, and I can give you examples.
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by TheShopKeeper(m): 4:49pm On Jul 13, 2012
@OP...you will never get a direct answer to your question, because there is no evidence that 'islam is peace'.
Good luck in your quest to unravel the mystery.
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by MacDaddy01: 4:54pm On Jul 13, 2012
Fulaman198:

Ask yourself these qustions about Christianity...

Wife beating happens everywhere in the world, it happens quite a bit in the Western world too. However they use political terms like "Domestic Violence" to cover stuff like that up. A good man never beats his wife.

Again, I sense hypocrisy and hatred towards Islam in all your posts. What about the women raped in Iraq by Western CHRISTIAN troops? What about the abuse of prisoners by Westerners who are Christians? I urge you to stop the hypocrisy and use your brain. You can not blame a religion for peoples actions. What about the bombing of innocents with the Atomic bomb in WWII by Christians? We can go on all day, and I can give you examples.

I am not a christian. If I were one, yes, I would be a hypocrite.

I am an atheist
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by Rafidi: 6:04pm On Jul 13, 2012
MacDaddy01:

I am a Nigerian first and foremost. You are brainwashed to believe that all Westerners believe the western media. Even Americans nowadays dont trust their media after the Iraq war.

On topic, are you trying to tell me the West and Central african countries are peaceful? Where human rights are abused day in and day out? Where crime goes unpunished? Where the police is useless? Who told you Mali is peaceful? It is just like Nigeria, corrupt and backwards i the smaller towns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Mali

oh yeah,Macdaddy.

compile all the wrongs no matter how tiny or less in muslim countries by imperfect people or mischief-mongers and blame Islam.

the funny part is you do not even distinguish between what un-islamic governments do and what muslims do and what their lives look like.how can you blame islam for human right abuses of citizens of a country who are themselves Muslims? is the government practicing Islam by abusing its people?was saddam who abused the iraqis following islam?

oppression and injustice does not have a religion.a member of any religion can do such harmful acts.

1 Like

Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by MacDaddy01: 6:36pm On Jul 13, 2012
Rafidi :

oh yeah,Macdaddy.

compile all the wrongs no matter how tiny or less in muslim countries by imperfect people or mischief-mongers and blame Islam.

the funny part is you do not even distinguish between what un-islamic governments do and what muslims do and what their lives look like.how can you blame islam for human right abuses of citizens of a country who are themselves Muslims? is the government practicing Islam by abusing its people?was saddam who abused the iraqis following islam?

oppression and injustice does not have a religion.a member of any religion can do such harmful acts.

Okay, please tell me how islam will improve my life. I'm a kaffir
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by Rafidi: 6:43pm On Jul 13, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Okay, please tell me how islam will improve my life. I'm a kaffir

you should stop being silly and purposefully annoying.

how? you have asked this question before and got answers:

https://www.nairaland.com/932792/how-islam-make-life-better
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by MacDaddy01: 7:16pm On Jul 13, 2012
Rafidi :

you should stop being silly and purposefully annoying.

how? you have asked this question before and got answers:

https://www.nairaland.com/932792/how-islam-make-life-better

Hahaha....nice one! You remembered?

But I didnt get satisfactory answers!
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by maclatunji: 1:38pm On Jul 14, 2012
^Then hold on to yourself and stop sticking out like a sore thumb.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

At What Point Would You Consider Marrying A Second Wife? / Dealing With Family Stuff The Islamic Way / Lessons From The Explanation Of Riyaadus Saaliheen Made By Shaykh Ibn Uthaymeen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.