Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,920 members, 7,817,695 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:28 PM

Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? (2649 Views)

Need A Webmaster To Partner With My Record Label / 5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner / An E-book That Will Make You A Webmaster In No Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by Coleslove: 10:02pm On Oct 27, 2007
@Nigeria1

I beg to say this, I bet you are getting the message by others kinda wrong. I believe its a critic that should be welcomed. If you had read through some post earlier, someone mentioned/commented on the articles you have got on your site as rich and good. The issue here is you should make the site more visual friendly. You know a little organized/arranged. This site is speaking for you before you talk, why not make it speak better then. I know this should be a difficult task. However, make it a lil nicer.

Finally always welcome constructive criticism, it could build you better.

Coleslove
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by akanze: 7:25pm On Oct 29, 2007
Strange?

If you are web designer, you are supposed to own your own website, at least to serve as proof that of what you are doing.
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by Jencejyde(m): 2:25pm On Jul 11, 2010
my2cents:

I hate to change topics but I feel obligated to. Why? Because of the "If it was. Google would not be the best." comment.

I hear the above all the time from some of us back home in response to how their sites may look. It seems like an instant justification for why their site looks the way it does. Has it occurred to anyone that:

1) Every site has its niche?

2) Google is popular not because of its simplicity but because of its search algorithm?

3) Though popular, if Google were indeed the best, that it would be the only search engine out there (in other words, there are those who will swear that Yahoo! is the best)?

4) Some people are arts-inclined, which implies they need to be visually stimulated to stay on a site?

5) By their very argument, they should be worth billions of dollars like google?

Some sites need to be visually appealing. That's just the way it is. By the way, I tried to open NigeriaOne twice but each time, it crashed my computer (and I have a pretty fast connection).

biko, let's get off this "google is best" thing and start letting our sites speak for themselves. If they need to be simple, let it be, for its own sake and not because "google is simple too".

As always, my 2 cents

Well said sir, you and tundewoods have been particularly impressive with your statements. Kudos to others who have contributed meaningfully as well.

@ the topic. There is no standard rule bearing on this, but personally i think it would be nice to own one (functional and live) as webmaster just to showcase your work albeit you can have them stored in a safe place to exhibit to clients on demand.

Coleslove:

@Nigeria1

I beg to say this, I bet you are getting the message by others kinda wrong. I believe its a critic that should be welcomed. If you had read through some post earlier, someone mentioned/commented on the articles you have got on your site as rich and good. The issue here is you should make the site more visual friendly. You know a little organized/arranged. This site is speaking for you before you talk, why not make it speak better then. I know this should be a difficult task. However, make it a lil nicer.

Finally always welcome constructive criticism, it could build you better.

Coleslove

Excellent advice, sounds pretty much to me that you have great understanding of how webmasters ought to think from a marketing point of view. Well said!
Re: Can A Webmaster Not Have A Site? by baccifinejewelry: 5:25am On Jul 12, 2010
That's possible as I also have some web designer friends that have no personal website. They only used thier skills to get job and earn money while do don't think that they can earn much if they have their own site and put a portfolio page on there.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Renamed Wp-login.php / Phpmailer Not Working / Its My Birthday, Get A Logo Or A Website For Free (2016)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.