Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,429 members, 7,954,682 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:05 AM

Estimated Population Of Lagos State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Estimated Population Of Lagos State (8047 Views)

Document Showing The Population Of Nigeria In 1920 / Estimated Results At A Glance / Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Estimated Population Of Lagos State by Larufa(m): 12:11pm On Mar 22, 2006
What Could Be The (Right) Estimated Population Of Lagos State

O yes, census has started in Nigeria. But what do you think could be the right estimated population of Lagos State, considering the daily inflow of people into the state?

C have being to Lagos on many occasions. Come and see crowds everywhere. Is it Ojota, Oshodi, Iyana Ipaja, Agege, Egbada, Ojuelegba, Yaba, Mile2, Mile 12, Ikorodu, Apapa/ TinCan, Ajegunle, Mushin, Oyingbo, Obalende, Falomo, Ogba, Ojodu-Berger, Lekki Axis, Festac e.t.c? Just name the place, you see crowd some running: some selling, some just walking. Na wa for Lagos People.

To my mind the population should not be less than 25 million.
Re: Estimated Population Of Lagos State by demmy(m): 6:01pm On Mar 22, 2006
25 million is pushing it. Estimate is close to 10 million.
Re: Estimated Population Of Lagos State by Badman888(m): 8:40pm On Mar 22, 2006
yea around 10 to 12 million and lagos is said to be one of the fastest growing habitat in the world.
Re: Estimated Population Of Lagos State by OldGlory1(m): 9:04pm On Mar 22, 2006
25million would be outrageously high, i will say about 14million.
Re: Estimated Population Of Lagos State by DarkNight1(m): 9:29pm On Mar 22, 2006
Lagos Ke? Man, I dont really know O. Aint been there in ages.
Popular opinion as to the population would be wrogn and speculative, u think this census go let us know how many people dey not just lag, but naija as a whole?
Re: Estimated Population Of Lagos State by Badman888(m): 9:36pm On Mar 22, 2006
It would be hard to count the number of people in lagos, I wonder how many people are usually at Oshodi market

Re: Estimated Population Of Lagos State by goodguy(m): 10:08pm On Mar 22, 2006
The last estimate I heard of, which I don't believe, was 15 million. I actually think we are more than that in Lagos - close to 20 or even 25 million.
Re: Estimated Population Of Lagos State by Hero(m): 11:24pm On Mar 22, 2006
UN estimations say that the city should have no less than 15Mill, rapidly rising to about 25Mill by the year 2015, to become the worlds second most populous City. Though if in fact its found out, via the census, that the City-State actually already has 20-25Mill inhabitants then this would mean that the city is already the second most populous in the world, and that by 2015 it would not only become the worlds most populous, but the worlds most populous by far, with 5-10Mill more people than the next closes city in population, Calcutta, India. shocked
Re: Estimated Population Of Lagos State by vichel(m): 11:27pm On Mar 22, 2006
Lagos is definitely more than Ten Million, Edo state as i recall some years ago was said to be about Ten Million, and dem no reach half of people wey dey ogba self tongue

1 Like

Re: Estimated Population Of Lagos State by bebe6(f): 11:48pm On Mar 22, 2006
Wow @ the congestion in Oshodi! Everyone is on top of each other- - Ouch! Please don't take offense- - I just can't believe how congested it is. Just to think I be about ready to throw bows in the grocery store sometimes around holidays or special event days tongue

I guess it's no different than rush hour traffic bumper to bumper w/o movement undecided
Re: Estimated Population Of Lagos State by Abeem(m): 9:14am On Mar 23, 2006
According to the UN, the population of Lagos in 2000 was estimated as 13.4 million, and by 2015, it is projected to reach 23.2 million. Source: http://www.unescap.org/ttdw/Publications/TPTS_pubs/pub_2157/review2001_ch2.pdf (scroll down to page 3 for the data).
Re: Estimated Population Of Lagos State by obong(m): 8:08pm On Mar 25, 2006
i dont understand why they dont privatise those markets liek Oshodi to allow for better organisation. you would have a more effective system than the mess gong on now
Re: Estimated Population Of Lagos State by Badman888(m): 8:24pm On Mar 25, 2006
privatise oshodi market thats impossible.
Re: Estimated Population Of Lagos State by Abeem(m): 2:51am On Mar 26, 2006
@Obong - On paper, privatisation is a better option because it will allow for better organization and effective management of resources. Privatisation is often intended as an economic remedy to a social malaise that is stunting the growth of a public sector organization. But why prescribe privatisation for a market like Oshodi that is not a public sector organization? I fail to appreciate the rationale. Most of the traders captured in that aerial picture are gatecrashers, if I may use that word, who are trying to make a hurried living from the attractiveness of Oshodi as a central bus terminal for commuters in the Lagos metropolis. By so doing, they are denying legitimate traders, who own shops or rent them, and who must pay tenements and all kind of taxes to the Oshodi local government authorities. These traders that I nicknamed gatecrashers only congregate in the evening and night, when the local government officials must have retired to their homes, effectively evading taxes. And they do so spreading there wares in unfathomnable places - in the slum, on the rail lines, on the road, thereby creating a chaotic experience for commuters, pedestrians and motorists alike. The problem as I see it is not one of organization, but of lawlessness of Nigerians at display. Your prescription should be an antidote to curing the traders of their lawlessness.
Re: Estimated Population Of Lagos State by demmy(m): 7:31am On Mar 26, 2006
Abeem:

@Obong - On paper, privatisation is a better option because it will allow for better organization and effective management of resources. Privatisation is often intended as an economic remedy to a social malaise that is stunting the growth of a public sector organization. But why prescribe privatisation for a market like Oshodi that is not a public sector organization? I fail to appreciate the rationale. Most of the traders captured in that aerial picture are gatecrashers, if I may use that word, who are trying to make a hurried living from the attractiveness of Oshodi as a central bus terminal for commuters in the Lagos metropolis. By so doing, they are denying legitimate traders, who own shops or rent them, and who must pay tenements and all kind of taxes to the Oshodi local government authorities. These traders that I nicknamed gatecrashers only congregate in the evening and night, when the local government officials must have retired to their homes, effectively evading taxes. And they do so spreading there wares in unfathomnable places - in the slum, on the rail lines, on the road, thereby creating a chaotic experience for commuters, pedestrians and motorists alike. The problem as I see it is not one of organization, but of lawlessness of Nigerians at display. Your prescription should be an antidote to curing the traders of their lawlessness.

I agree this is no privatisation issue. Nigerians have this penchant for chaos. Anybody with table and bench can put them anywhere even in the middle of the road and spread his or her wares. They do this all the time though not just at evenings and nights and government hasn't been consistent in maintaining order. You see make-shift shops all over the place because there are no standards prescribed and enforced for setting up shops. Iron shingles and rotten woods are patched together everywhere even in Ikeja Computer Village. This bastardised the name computer village.

Re: Estimated Population Of Lagos State by Badman888(m): 12:19pm On Mar 26, 2006
This is computer village sillicon valley of africa, compared to Los Angeles, can get any software there for like 5% if the real price
Re: Estimated Population Of Lagos State by Hotstepper(f): 4:45pm On Mar 26, 2006
about 15 million
Re: Estimated Population Of Lagos State by SIBLI06(m): 10:34am On Mar 30, 2006
22 million

(1) (Reply)

Oshiomhole Presents Three Jeeps To Ogbemudia Former Edo State Governor / Group To Name A Multi-Million-Naira Edifice Okonjo-Iweala. / PDP Scores Buhari, Ambode’s Below Average In Performance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.