Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,149 members, 7,818,456 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:14 PM

Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? (14121 Views)

And Jesus Wept,....as US Church Pours Water On Homeless People To Keep Them Away / Can Someone Explain Why God Killed David's Son For David's Sin? / Jesus Wept … Oh, It's Bad Plumbing. Indian Rationalist Targets 'Miracles' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by FXKing2012(m): 8:42pm On Mar 02, 2012
John 11: 35 "Jesus Wept". This is the shortest verse in the entire Bible yet very few even know the reason why. Who is knowledgeable enough to decipher the reason why Jesus wept?

Please only Christians to comment.
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by Goshen360(m): 9:35pm On Mar 02, 2012
My understanding of this event will be presented in two ways. One according to letter and two, according to the Spirit. Both sounds good but the spirit gives life meaning, the spiritual aspect gives you revelation rather than the letter (mere words).

According to the letter: In the natural, Lazarus is a friend of Jesus when Jesus was still walking on earth. Lazarus died, was bounded and was placed in the tomb. Naturally, the bible teaches us to rejoice with them that rejoice and weep with those who weep. Jesus wept in the natural simply to show his feelings towards his friend.

"Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep." Romans 12:15 KJV

For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.Heb 4:15, KJV

Revelation aspect of the event, the Spirit or Life given aspect of the event.

And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! Mark 3:34, KJV

Lazarus as a friend of Jesus is a type of believer or person who have come to know Christ in the natural but doesn't have life of Christ in him or her. Such person the devil kills, bound and places in a tomb (decaying state or condition). Such kind of people, Jesus wept, seeing the state of condition the devil and the world keeps them. As we later saw from the verse. Because Jesus loves such person, verse 36 says, "Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him", Jesus wept for their condition.

"Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" John 11:25, KJV

This verse shows that a person can come to believe in the person of Christ probably based on what he or she is hearing about Christ but does not necessarily mean such person have experience the resurrected life of Christ, a life above the natural. The resurrected life of Christ makes us dead to the world or the natural but alive to God.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by crossman9(m): 9:58pm On Mar 02, 2012
well in christ embassy you are told if show emtions your a baby in christ

(NIV)  John 11:35 Jesus wept.

(KJV) 2 Corinthians 2:4 For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote unto you with many tears; not that ye should be grieved, but that ye might know the love which I have more abundantly unto you.
(KJV) 2 Corinthians 2:5 But if any have caused grief, he hath not grieved me, but in part: that I may not overcharge you all.
(KJV) 2 Corinthians 2:6 Sufficient to such a man is this punishment, which was inflicted of many.
(KJV) 2 Corinthians 2:7 So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow.
(KJV) 2 Corinthians 2:8 Wherefore I beseech you that ye would confirm your love toward him.
(KJV) 2 Corinthians 2:9 For to this end also did I write, that I might know the proof of you, whether ye be obedient in all things.
(KJV) 2 Corinthians 2:10 To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ;
(KJV) 2 Corinthians 2:11 Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by amor4ce(m): 2:14am On Mar 03, 2012
The Messiah felt unhappiness because of the lack of belief of the people who thought it was over for Lazarus and that HE could do nothing about the transition, despite the mighty works HE had been doing in their sight and the Gospel HE preached. Remember that HE already knew that Lazarus's body was in the tomb long before getting there. I see the verse in question as one of the most thoroughly and gleefully misunderstood of the Bible.

1 Like

Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by amor4ce(m): 2:17am On Mar 03, 2012
FXKing2012:

John 11: 35 "Jesus Wept". This is the shortest verse in the entire Bible yet very few even know the reason why. Who is knowledgeable enough to decipher the reason why Jesus wept?

Please only Christians to comment.

Oops!
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by xynerise: 9:47am On Mar 03, 2012
Due to the love he has for lazarus. He came as a human u know?
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by Chukkasy(m): 10:15am On Mar 03, 2012
So that guys like u & me won't doubt that He was human here on earth. And so that He'll know how 2 comfort us when we lose some1 dear 2 us, because He also xperiencd same.
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by ifihearam: 10:30am On Mar 03, 2012
@op tell us ur own. He knew lazarus was dead already so why did he weep at the tomb obviously to either reveal his human angle or provoke extra ordinary miracle
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by Knight1(m): 10:49am On Mar 03, 2012
xynerise:

On Point! The Man cool JESUS was simply overwhelmed by grief and he let it out!

amor4ce:

The Messiah felt unhappiness because of the lack of belief of the people who thought it was over for Lazarus and that HE could do nothing about the transition, despite the mighty works HE had been doing in their sight and the Gospel HE preached. Remember that HE already knew that Lazarus's body was in the tomb long before getting there. I see the verse in question as one of the most thoroughly and gleefully misunderstood of the Bible.

ERrrrrrrrm, i doubt this is correct. I think at their level, it was still okay to believe that it was over for Laz as far as this life was concerned; which is what Laz's sisters said and Jesus did not rebuke them for unbelief
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by aurenflani: 10:55am On Mar 03, 2012
Jesus prayed to God almighty so that God will raise Lazarus from the dead for jews to see and believe that he is sent by the same Creator Who also sent Moses and so believe in him. Alas dis did not happened as even with this d Jews still refused to believe in him. That is d reason why today if you travel to Palestine (Israel), u still find d jews as an entity there rejecting him.
As to those dat will be tempted to claim dat Jesus was not praying to God almighty to raise Lazarus from d dead, they should ponder upon his prayers 2wards dat end in d verses and also recall what Peter said about Jesus being a man and his miracles as being d handiwork of God. SALAM.
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by jedisco(m): 11:29am On Mar 03, 2012
He wept because at that point he moved from the ministry of a Prophet to that of a priest.
If you follow the story before this you will notice that he acted like a Prophet. It seemed as though he didn't care about Lazarus as he knew he was going to raise him and Infact was telling Laz sisters that they shouldn't worry as he would live again. But when he arrived he moved into his priesthood ministry where he was touched by the agony of the people around him.

PS: I would recommend a message (can't remember its title but u can find it online) by Bishop T. D. Jakes where he spoke exclusively on this. Infact he preached the whole message on that verse and its one of the best messages I've listened to
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by whitedove(m): 11:43am On Mar 03, 2012
Jesus Wept when He saw the condition of our Dear country Nigeria, He probaly saw these mismanagement,corruption,Nepotism and Boko Haram too, lol!
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by sniperwolf(m): 12:00pm On Mar 03, 2012
He wept because Lazarus' sister didn't believe that he can bring Lazarus back to life
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by Otunbakunle: 12:03pm On Mar 03, 2012
Jesus wept - Out of sympathy with those who were in tears all around him, as well as from a deep sense of the misery sin had brought upon human nature.
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by jmoore(m): 12:29pm On Mar 03, 2012
Jesus did not cry out of sympathy. Why should I cry if my pen is lost when I can get another one within seconds?

Why should Jesus cry when he was going to raise lazarus from the dead?

Jesus cried because of their unbelief.
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by Suntemi(m): 12:38pm On Mar 03, 2012
jmoore:

Jesus did not cry out of sympathy. Why should I cry if my pen is lost when I can get another one within seconds?

I disagree with you.
xynerise:

supported
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by numo86(m): 12:40pm On Mar 03, 2012
Simply put Jesus felt d loss of lazarus even when he knew he culd still with d help of his Father Yahweh ressurect him, d bereaved relatives of lazarus that were cryin and wailing definitly affected Jesus's disposition and he gave way to tears,
It shows 1 thing::::
1, That Jesus does sympathize with our ordeals we face today
2, Jesus as our master is compassionate and will accomplish a lot as Yahwehs king designate when d end comes, he will,with d authority vested on him by Yahweh  ressurect all those who have died to life,
3, And it shows finally that Jesus is Yahwehs only begotten son,
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by Otunbakunle: 12:47pm On Mar 03, 2012
jmoore:

[s]Jesus did not cry out of sympathy. Why should I cry if my pen is lost when I can get another one within seconds?

[/s]

I disagree with that as well
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by reloboy(m): 12:55pm On Mar 03, 2012
Buhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Omo laugh wan kill me for here ooooo I hope u guys will not kill person, see how people dey decieve theirself
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by Tropilo(m): 1:17pm On Mar 03, 2012
I think HIS emotions betrayed HIM. The SuperMAN in HIM left the human appeared temporarily. Lay reason, baa? (abeg teach me). GOD bless us all.
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by Leemak: 1:19pm On Mar 03, 2012
Jesus Christ cried becos he has forseen dt many "fake" pastors, revrend & bishop wil emerge afta his departure, imagine a bishop slapping a defenseless follower 4 unnecessary reason or a recognised pastor dt prayed 4 sumbody to bcom a president for monetary return? Look at a born again christian dt killed her niece all in d name of Holy Ghost, Jesus has forseen all dis before dt was reason he wept!
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by Contradiction: 1:38pm On Mar 03, 2012
Jesus wept because kongil wan kill am !!!
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by Dawdy(m): 2:12pm On Mar 03, 2012
Is it proper to say "GOD almighty wept" since you believe He (JESUS) IS ur God?
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by ordained(m): 2:13pm On Mar 03, 2012
U dont give Holy things to pigs, they will always mess it up!
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by seunofGod: 2:14pm On Mar 03, 2012
Please may i ask, what GOSPEL is there 2 preach frm d said verse of scripture?

1 Like

Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by stillme(m): 2:15pm On Mar 03, 2012
The book titled,loose that man let him go,written by pastor T.D Jakes.
It was a sign of respect for His friend family.
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by ordained(m): 2:34pm On Mar 03, 2012
"As Jesus drew near Jerusalem, he saw the city and wept over it . . . . "
Luke 19:41-44

COMPASSION for the supposed city of God

Jesus Wept - John 11: 35

COMPASSION for a supposed people of God

All perishing for LACK OF THE KNOWLEDGE that IN HIM WAS LIFE!
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by chalerea(m): 2:37pm On Mar 03, 2012
goshen360:

My understanding of this event will be presented in two ways. One according to letter and two, according to the Spirit. Both sounds good but the spirit gives life meaning, the spiritual aspect gives you revelation rather than the letter (mere words).

According to the letter: In the natural, Lazarus is a friend of Jesus when Jesus was still walking on earth. Lazarus died, was bounded and was placed in the tomb. Naturally, the bible teaches us to rejoice with them that rejoice and weep with those who weep. Jesus wept in the natural simply to show his feelings towards his friend.

"Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep." Romans 12:15 KJV

For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.Heb 4:15, KJV

Revelation aspect of the event, the Spirit or Life given aspect of the event.

And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! Mark 3:34, KJV

Lazarus as a friend of Jesus is a type of believer or person who have come to know Christ in the natural but doesn't have life of Christ in him or her. Such person the devil kills, bound and places in a tomb (decaying state or condition). Such kind of people, Jesus wept, seeing the state of condition the devil and the world keeps them. As we later saw from the verse. Because Jesus loves such person, verse 36 says, "Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him", Jesus wept for their condition.

"Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" John 11:25, KJV

This verse shows that a person can come to believe in the person of Christ probably based on what he or she is hearing about Christ but does not necessarily mean such person have experience the resurrected life of Christ, a life above the natural. The resurrected life of Christ makes us dead to the world or the natural but alive to God.

I hope this helps.

You surely have a clear understanding of the spirit that brings life to the word. You are very correct in both ways but you are more correct from the spiritual translation. Many may not understand what you have said because the bread is for the children. God bless you. Amen.
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by GWslim(f): 2:40pm On Mar 03, 2012
Wept for the prejudice befalling a sinful life. It is the cry for a comeback message for the lost soul. Thank you Jesus for crying aloud for my change.
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Mar 03, 2012
God/Gods do not cry/weep, he is not God. remember he also cried Elai Elai lama sabatani bla bla bla.
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by antartica(m): 4:07pm On Mar 03, 2012
He wept becos u a dum.b. Ur du.mbness is d reason why u are bothering whether jesus wept or not,while u are in a sorry state,u and d rest of d blind believers should be weeping everyday for ur fundamental ignorance and mental backwardness that primarily have its roots in ur beliefs indoctrinated religions,i.e christianity and islam.
Re: Jesus Wept - John 11: 35. Who Can Explain Why? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Mar 03, 2012
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful, It’s an incredible scam when you think about it, to believe something now in exchange for something after death.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

When Principles Meet Principalities. / 22 Things Christ Followers Should Quit / Difference Between Qabli And Ba'di

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.