Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,246 members, 7,953,926 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:05 AM

We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba (8442 Views)

The North Will Keep Ilorin and Offa If Nigeria Breaks, Junaid Warns Yorubas / Saraki Was Actually Stoned In Illorin..punch Newspaper / Saraki Arriving The Eid Praying Ground In Illorin Today (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by Jarus(m): 10:35pm On Aug 12, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Calm down, no one is taking Offa anywhere, we shall all live or die in this our Nigeria.

so semantics lo cause wahala lati aro? North is a geographical expression afterall smiley

This was how one edoyad started claiming that he is not a Northerner but a middlebelter. mumu
I wonder too o. How can a Kaduna boy claim he is not a northerner! Some people need lecturing that geographical expression (north) is different from ethnic grouping (Hausa, Fulani). Or is middle belt in his own compass? grin
Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by hercules07: 10:38pm On Aug 12, 2012
@Jarus

I know a lot of Ilorins and they do not deny being Yoruba, heck, the Emir himself is not full fulani nau. The Ilorins can choose wherever they want to be, that is no big deal, Offas are definitely better served coming to the SW as they are even marginalised as it is now.
Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by Desola(f): 10:40pm On Aug 12, 2012
Jarus:
I wonder too o. How can a Kaduna boy claim he is not a northerner! Some people need lecturing that geographical expression (north) is different from ethnic grouping (Hausa, Fulani). Or is middle belt in his own compass? grin

You are trying to be clever but some of us see through your veil. You are not only referring to Kwarans as geographical northerners but asserting that they are northerners in culture, traditions and religion. Who died and made you the spokesperson for the Kwarans, anyway? You bloody divisionist who thrive on propaganda and subjugation. You are northerners; inferior set of barbaric baboons who were mistakenly amalgamated with civilised people. You lot belong to Niger republic blood suckers!
Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by Jarus(m): 10:43pm On Aug 12, 2012
Aigbofa:

My friend, this is 2012.
2012. Nothing has changed from the time some tortoise-on-the-neck OPC members tried it in 2003/4 cheesy
Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by asha80(m): 10:45pm On Aug 12, 2012
Desola:

You are trying to be clever but some of us see through your veil. You are not only referring to Kwarans as geographical northerners but asserting that they are northerners in culture, traditions and religion. Who died and made you the spokesperson for the Kwarans, anyway? You bloody divisionist who thrive on propaganda and subjugation. You are northerners; inferior set of barbaric baboons who were mistakenly amalgamated with civilised people. You lot belong to Niger republic blood suckers!

undecided
Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by Jarus(m): 10:51pm On Aug 12, 2012
Desola:

Niger republic? What of Mali?

NB to serious followers of this thread: I never said we are northerners in 'culture, tradition and religion'. I have never failed to mention that we are northerners only by geo-political classification and we, especially Kwara South, clearly have more cultural affinity with the SW. This much I made known in more serious platforms. You may google my article: 1, Offa: History Beckons (2011, Sun, Thisday, Punch) and 2, Offa: A recipe for sustainable development (2010, Sun, Thisday)

Oya, let my fun with Iyalode Desola and Otun Iyalode Ileke Idi continue cheesy
Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by Nobody: 10:53pm On Aug 12, 2012
Jarus:
2012. Nothing has changed from the time some tortoise-on-the-neck OPC members tried it in 2003/4 cheesy

As long as Nigeria remains one country, it is foolish for either OPC or the northern establishment to lay claim to any section of the country. If Nigeria splits, then everyone will know where his land starts and where it ends. This may be done peacefully or violently, that is the reality.
Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by BlackBaron: 10:56pm On Aug 12, 2012
Can't speak for 'Kwarans'
All I know is Kabba-Kogi State would probably go SW if anything.
Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by Jarus(m): 10:58pm On Aug 12, 2012
Aigbofa:

As long as Nigeria remains one country, it is foolish for either OPC or the northern establishment to lay claim to any section of the country. If Nigeria splits, then everyone will know where his land starts and where it ends. This may be done peacefully or violently, that is the reality.
Yeah, that's it. Maybe OPC & Dr Junaid are only on pre-match
Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by Jarus(m): 11:00pm On Aug 12, 2012
BlackBaron: Can't speak for 'Kwarans'
All I know is Kabba-Kogi State would probably go SW if anything.
Like Sunday Awoniyi, Sunday Daniyan and the heirs to their political structure?
Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by BlackBaron: 11:03pm On Aug 12, 2012
Jarus:
Like Sunday Awoniyi, Sunday Daniyan and the heirs to their political structure?
Speak for what you know dude...
Kabba ain't your forte, least if others within Kogi choose North, it'll not be the 'Okuns'
Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by Chyz2: 11:05pm On Aug 12, 2012
Jarus: I am from Offa, born and bred there, an active 'youth voice' in the community, having written a number of articles on the politics of the town.

We are Yoruba, no controversy about that; we are northerners too, at least since 1914.

I'm particularly indifferent about where we end up, in the event of split. North or South, I'm ok.

shocked
Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by Jarus(m): 11:07pm On Aug 12, 2012
BlackBaron:
Kabba ain't your forte, least if others within Kogi choose North, it'll not be the 'Okuns'
Yes, that is why Okun's most influential politician, late Sunday Awoniyi, was the spokesperson of the North as Arewa Consultative Forum Chairman and his arch-rival for 30 years, Sunday Daniyan, was also a key northern political figure.
Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by Chyz2: 11:09pm On Aug 12, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

I'm not attacking Jarus.

But I think it's wise if he keeps his propaganda to himself. I think the man might be a bit confused sha. The Ofa ppl are just like the Olukumis in the SE; they speak Yoruba but do not identify themselves as Yoruba.

I know we have Ekiti ppl separated; some in Kwara, some in Ekiti. However, you dont hear us claiming North.

LOL @ divided into 50 pieces. Were grin

Leave Anioma out of this. We are not from the SE either. Thanks.
Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by ezotik: 11:10pm On Aug 12, 2012
BlackBaron:

off topic.

how did the okuns get their name? coz i always thought okun meant the ocean and not just river? or at least that is what i have been made to believe. so are they anywhere close to the atlantic?
Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by BlackBaron: 11:11pm On Aug 12, 2012
Jarus:
Yes, that is why Okun's most influential politician, was the spokesperson of the North as Arewa Consultative Forum Chairman and his arch-rival for 30 years, Sunday Daniyan, was also a key northern political figure.

One man's political ambition does not translate to a blanket tagging of all and sundry as part of Arewa.
And last time I checked the other half of my family were born and grew up in Kabba, yet none can even speak Hausa or Fulani or whatnot.
Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by Nobody: 11:12pm On Aug 12, 2012
Yoruba should also forget about Lagos state because it belong to us Aworis tribe we can't wait to kick them out of our land once Nigeria break up
Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by BlackBaron: 11:27pm On Aug 12, 2012
ezotik:

off topic.

how did the okuns get their name? coz i always thought okun meant the ocean and not just river? or at least that is what i have been made to believe. so are they anywhere close to the atlantic?

Can't say about the origin, but I think the name 'Okun', was derived from a form of greeting commonly used by those who share a similar history and linguistic affinity. The form of greeting is usually - 'Okun' and you'd reply 'O'(?)
Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by ezotik: 11:34pm On Aug 12, 2012
BlackBaron: Can't say about the origin, but I think the name 'Okun', was derived from a form of greeting commonly used by those who share a similar history and linguistic affinity. The form of greeting is usually - 'Okun' and you'd reply 'O'(?)

ok cool, thanx.
Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by Nobody: 11:41pm On Aug 12, 2012
Chyz*:

Leave Anioma out of this. We are not from the SE either. Thanks.

Lmaoooooo

Naijaaaaaaaa..........

*Grabs Pop corn*
Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by Nobody: 11:44pm On Aug 12, 2012
Olaolufred: Ilorin has become a mixed state. Referendum will determine their fate If Nigeria disintegrate.
But their is nothing Northern in Offa.

Referendum ke?

Dude, you better start stocking up on Guns and Bombs if you really don't want to lose an inch of land to the North. Referendum with the North?! Lmao you probably think you're dealing with civilized folks from Western European Countries.

1 Like

Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by ezotik: 11:48pm On Aug 12, 2012
from this thread alone, the next civil war in nigeria would be very interesting. genocide go plenty nor be small.grin

1 Like

Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by Epalos: 1:14am On Aug 13, 2012
What is the difference between Yoruba and Awori? you are not Awori/Yoruba.
dazey: Yoruba should also forget about Lagos state because it belong to us Aworis tribe we can't wait to kick them out of our land once Nigeria break up
Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by tpia5: 5:25am On Aug 13, 2012
ezotik:

off topic.

okun means sea but it can also mean hello in some yoruba dialects.

ie hello, take care or sorry, depending on the context and/or pronunciation.

not sure of its etymology as the noun however, as per your question.
Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by tpia5: 5:28am On Aug 13, 2012
@ topic

rehashed.
Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by CyberG: 6:04am On Aug 13, 2012
Looking at map of Nigeria, the perpetual inferior weak-minded Ibo tribalists only want the land size of other people to become as small as that of the entire landlocked SE. I think the loss of your stupid war has left most of you in a state of stupor. Otherwise, why is it that only the SE tribalists are here championing a course that is of no remote relevance to their existence? Well, one day, you ingrates will require visas and strict monitoring to visit other parts of Nigeria. This is the only kind of hard stance you people understand!

1 Like

Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by Mesico2(m): 7:16am On Aug 13, 2012
unphilaz: which north? hausa-fulani north? wel tho he did not specifically say this, but he should know and tell himself and his illk, southern kaduna, plateau state WILL not see the same way!
. God bless u jare. This man just talk trash anytime he's in front of press. No be only Ilorin and Offa na the whole kwara state. Old fool. I'll rather disown my own very Ilorin and go with any village in Southwest than join North again.

2 Likes

Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by PaulJohn1: 3:08pm On Aug 13, 2012
Mesico2: . God bless u jare. This man just talk trash anytime he's in front of press. No be only Ilorin and Offa na the whole kwara state. Old fool. I'll rather disown my own very Ilorin and go with any village in Southwest than join North again.

We'll always welcome you people. But my fear is that I'm not sure if our way of life is still related, as in our way of thinking. I'm saying this because, I'm not sure if you people have not been infected with some inhuman behavior rampant among the Northerners. Like killing all in the name of religion. Our muslim down here in the S/West are not extremist, we live together in peace. We have families where members share different religious view and they've got no problem.
So, it's not a problem with you people @ all if you're still tolerating.
Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by KiKatanga: 3:15pm On Aug 13, 2012
Let them take Offa and Illorin. Most of the people are Muslim, if they choose willing to join the North then they should.

Better to lose a city that you cannot hold than an army trying to do the impossible.

If Nigeria cannot stay together, it must split as quickly and a quietly as it can.
Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by PaulJohn1: 4:00pm On Aug 13, 2012
Ki-Katanga:
Let them take Offa and Illorin. Most of the people are Muslim, if they choose willing to join the North then they should.

Better to lose a city that you cannot hold than an army trying to do the impossible.

If Nigeria cannot stay together, it must split as quickly and a quietly as it can.

Can't say better.
It's better they go with the North, than to have them and be a problem to us. lipsrsealed Goodluck to their decision.

1 Like

Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by Katsumoto: 4:16pm On Aug 13, 2012
Jarus: I am from Offa, born and bred there, an active 'youth voice' in the community, having written a number of articles on the politics of the town.

We are Yoruba, no controversy about that; we are northerners too, at least since 1914.

I'm particularly indifferent about where we end up, in the event of split. North or South, I'm ok.

People from Kwara may pay for this ambivalence if a majority feel this way. You can't be neither here nor there.

No one, including the Fulani, wants an ambivalent bunch at the gateway of their region. Regardless of where they end up in an hypothetical scenario, they will be treated with suspicion. And not just for historical reasons but also for the ambivalence which you display. But I agree with you somewhat, let the people of Kwara and Kogi decide for themselves.
Re: We Are Taking Illorin And Offa With Us, North Dares Yoruba by Akanbiedu(m): 5:09pm On Aug 13, 2012
This kwara palava.

Has anybody considered what will happen to the rulers i.e Sarakis and the Emir if the state is categorized as south or north? A lot of things depend on who controls what at the end of the day. This should be very obvious from the way Ilorin was lost in the first place.

A power structure is in place and anybody that will unsettle that must be prepared to use force.

Apart from that I think a lot of Ilorin people don't really feel strongly about their attachment to West. this may be largely due to religion.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Uba Appeals Court’s Disqualification As APC Candidate / I Haven’t Borrowed A Dime As Governor Of Anambra State, Says Soludo / Jonathan Describes Boko Haram As Uncivilised

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.