Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,297 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:52 PM

Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. (13332 Views)

Massage Therapists In The House: Lets Discuss / Any Speech Therapist In The House? / “how Enugu Doctor ‘killed’ My Son’ – Senator Jim Nwobodo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by 4BBS(f): 6:52am On Oct 15, 2013
Hello all, I am based in Akure, my son needs a speech therapist urgently. Any help pls.
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by Nobody: 10:22pm On Oct 17, 2013
Why not look for a paediatric neurologist. So that all other aspects can be managed and properly diagnosed? That's the best thing to do instead of cutting corners.
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by daisyjo(f): 10:19am On Oct 19, 2013
Hi Doc,
We would seriously appreciate if you CAN refer us to a pediatric neurologist instead of accusing serious minded,caring and loving mothers working their butts off day and night trying to recover their kids and ensure they live a better life of trying to cut corners.Pray tell me,how many doctors do you know in Nigeria and even outside of Nigeria who understand and can manage autism?I for one would be very willing to sell all i own and borrow more to ensure my son gets the best of treatment.Trust me, we have tried it all.The teaching hospitals.....private doctors....neurologists etc and most of them DO NOT HAVE A CLUE!The closest they can guess is referrals for CT scans and MRI that usually show nothing.Thereafter the usually confused doctor not wanting to seem unknowing and incompetent prescribes 'Ritalin'.By the way, one of the parents who have been in contact through this forum is a consultant pediatrician in a teaching hospital married to a gynecologist and for 6 years they have watched their son continue to regress without a clue as to how to help him.

I do not want to mention names but i have met with several pediatric neurologist in different states in Nigeria.Many are acclaimed as authorities in their field but they have been unable to help.Oh,we don't even count the trips to UK,Dubai and South Africa......the many Skype,phone and email consultations with doctors in India, South Africa,USA and UK that some of us mothers have made.Many have been useful because doctors over there care to listen,research and understand that autism is a Spectrum development disability and as such requires a multidimensional approach to addressing its many and varied symptoms.

Pray tell me again,in what areas are we trying to cut corners? Speech, behavior and or occupational therapy? Sensory integration therapy? special diets like GFCF/SF or SCD,trying to live green and organic? Providing support to worn and tired out mothers? Standing up for our children and breaking the silence on autism?
Please do your research sir !Autism can be managed and many children lose their diagnosis because their parents chose to 'cut corners' and not rely on doctors sitting on their high horses with their noses in their medical books!
I am a SUPERMOM.I am doing the best that i can for my son who by the way is losing his diagnosis each passing day because i chose to 'cut corners'.
GOD BLESS YOU DOC and thank you for you very 'encouraging' comment. undecided

8 Likes

Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by 4BBS(f): 7:58am On Oct 20, 2013
Thank you @daisyjo, you've said it all. I know the steps i have taken to arrive at my conclusion. Help from any God sent person will be appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by jonnyJ: 5:55pm On Jan 28, 2015
Ohhh My Days..... Dont i just feel like hugging daisyjo and having a good cry on her shoulders. Thanks for been the voice of mothers who are overwhelmed by this scourge threathing to take over our adorable children. I stumbled on this post and was amazed at the insight and the level of research and help you have gone to help your child. To you and every mother out there.... The lord would surely give us victory.

Please i am sending you a private email, i hope you receive and response. Stay blessed and love to your boy.

1 Like

Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by debbiey43(f): 9:00pm On Apr 09, 2015
I am a certified speech pathologist in the US, who often comes to Nigeria. It was very interesting to read many of the comments.

First, I'd like to offer words of encouragement to the parents who are seeking treatment for their children with autism. Secondly, my email address is FunkeSLP@gmail.com for those looking for referrals and assistance with speech therapy services.

1 Like

Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by iboh: 5:18am On Sep 10, 2015
daisyjo:
Hi Doc,
We would seriously appreciate if you CAN refer us to a pediatric neurologist instead of accusing serious minded,caring and loving mothers working their butts off day and night trying to recover their kids and ensure they live a better life of trying to cut corners.Pray tell me,how many doctors do you know in Nigeria and even outside of Nigeria who understand and can manage autism?I for one would be very willing to sell all i own and borrow more to ensure my son gets the best of treatment.Trust me, we have tried it all.The teaching hospitals.....private doctors....neurologists etc and most of them DO NOT HAVE A CLUE!The closest they can guess is referrals for CT scans and MRI that usually show nothing.Thereafter the usually confused doctor not wanting to seem unknowing and incompetent prescribes 'Ritalin'.By the way, one of the parents who have been in contact through this forum is a consultant pediatrician in a teaching hospital married to a gynecologist and for 6 years they have watched their son continue to regress without a clue as to how to help him.
I do not want to mention names but i have met with several pediatric neurologist in different states in Nigeria.Many are acclaimed as authorities in their field but they have been unable to help.Oh,we don't even count the trips to UK,Dubai and South Africa......the many Skype,phone and email consultations with doctors in India, South Africa,USA and UK that some of us mothers have made.Many have been useful because doctors over there care to listen,research and understand that autism is a Spectrum development disability and as such requires a multidimensional approach to addressing its many and varied symptoms.
Pray tell me again,in what areas are we trying to cut corners? Speech, behavior and or occupational therapy? Sensory integration therapy? special diets like GFCF/SF or SCD,trying to live green and organic? Providing support to worn and tired out mothers? Standing up for our children and breaking the silence on autism?
Please do your research sir !Autism can be managed and many children lose their diagnosis because their parents chose to 'cut corners' and not rely on doctors sitting on their high horses with their noses in their medical books!
I am a SUPERMOM.I am doing the best that i can for my son who by the way is losing his diagnosis each passing day because i chose to 'cut corners'.
GOD BLESS YOU DOC and thank you for you very 'encouraging' comment. undecided

Thanks Daisy for all your contributions, you are really a blessing to mothers like me, I just saw your thread from naira land, Am so encouraged by your son story and am presently in the same issue now and I don't know how to help him.

My son ‎will be 4 years old tomorrow, for now he knows all his 26 alphabets, and 1-20, he says just one words now and no sentences. He understands most instructions you give him and he is completely toilet trained. I do flash cards with him and I have started him on omega H3. Please what more advice can you give me on getting a speech therapist in PortHarcourt. I will love to join your BlackBerry group and any advice I can get on where to take him for investigation will be appreciated.
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by LaMangolagos(m): 8:38pm On Jan 19, 2016
I'm a speech and behavior therapist contact me on 08110442723 or email me on osundeomorodion@yahoo.com
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by LaMangolagos(m): 9:30pm On Jan 19, 2016
4BBS:
Thank you @daisyjo, you've said it all. I know the steps i have taken to arrive at my conclusion. Help from any God sent person will be appreciated. Thanks.
you can call or email me on osundeomorodion@yahoo.com 08110442723.
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by LaMangolagos(m): 9:40pm On Jan 19, 2016
4BBS:
Hello all, I am based in Akure, my son needs a speech therapist urgently. Any help pls.

Call or email me on 08110442723 osundeomorodion@yahoo.com
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by LaMangolagos(m): 11:45pm On Jan 19, 2016
hardesuwah:
Hi Daisy,

I hope you dont mind i send you an email too.My daughter has some of the autistic symptoms and i need a behavioural and speech therapist in lagos.thanks

Contact me for behaviourer and speech therapy on osundeomorodion@yahoo.com or 08110442723
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by LaMangolagos(m): 11:49pm On Jan 19, 2016
chowchow:
Thanks for the posts so far.Please let us keep this thread alife.I have 2 kids,one is 41/2 and the other 3 years old,they both sing most nursery rhymes,say daddy,understand most things we say9sit,come,tke,hand etc) but cannot have a conversation yet.they play willingly with adults and children and only throw tantrums when they are unhappy about something(maybe delay in food preparation etc)i have taken them to several centers and they said they are not autistic and will talk sooner than i know.but i can't help been worried .Presently we have a speech therapist that has been working with them for over 7 months but i can't see any improvement.Allthey have learnt is what we have taught them at home.
Please help,am writing from Lagos

Call or email me 08110442723
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by daisyjo(f): 6:10am On Jan 20, 2016
Hi Osunde Omorodion,
I am 'excited' to see your contact all over this thread. I believe the more credible, authentic and good quality services are available for our kids, the smoother our journey to recovery.
It would be nice to know your training background as a speech and behaviour therapist , the name of your agency and location.i have checked through RBTs, BCaBAs and BCBAs at the behaviour analyst certification board and did not see your name on the credential list.

Please forgive my inquisitive self. I am just a little bit concerned.

2 Likes

Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by LaMangolagos(m): 4:08pm On Jan 20, 2016
daisyjo:
Hi Osunde Omorodion,
I am 'excited' to see your contact all over this thread. I believe the more credible, authentic and good quality services are available for our kids, the smoother our journey to recovery.
It would be nice to know your training background as a speech and behaviour therapist , the name of your agency and location.i have checked through RBTs, BCaBAs and BCBAs at the behaviour analyst certification board and did not see your name on the credential list.

Please forgive my inquisitive self. I am just a little bit concerned.

@daisyjo i was trained by SNAP actually and i have worked with like 3 kids which i give glory to Almighty God for their improvement while i was with them,why cant you give me a call,tell me more about your child and lets see how we can help him.
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by daisyjo(f): 10:08pm On Jan 20, 2016
Thanks for your response. Nice to know you have attended some SNAP sessions. Having been in contact with SNAP in Durban as well as ASAP in Somerset West and recieved some trainings too, I recognize that its good starting point.
There may however be a need to build on this a lot more... If you get what I mean. Speech and Behaviour therapy is a lot more that a couple of seminars and courses. You may want to contact the international center for Behaviour analysis (Ajah, lagos) if interested in more in depth training.
My son is doing great now and fully mainstreamed. I currently have a team of 19 board certified therapists/ technicians with trainings in different holistic therapies to support him and the other kids under my agency.
It takes a great heart to want to work with kids with different abilities and I commend you.

2 Likes

Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by soopamom: 5:20pm On May 12, 2016
daisyjo:
Thanks for your response. Nice to know you have attended some SNAP sessions. Having been in contact with SNAP in Durban as well as ASAP in Somerset West and recieved some trainings too, I recognize that its good starting point.
There may however be a need to build on this a lot more... If you get what I mean. Speech and Behaviour therapy is a lot more that a couple of seminars and courses. You may want to contact the international center for Behaviour analysis (Ajah, lagos) if interested in more in depth training.
My son is doing great now and fully mainstreamed. I currently have a team of 19 board certified therapists/ technicians with trainings in different holistic therapies to support him and the other kids under my agency.
It takes a great heart to want to work with kids with different abilities and I commend you.

Hi. I sent you a pm. You know when you suspect that there's something off about your kids but you don't know where to start. I was hoping you could give me some pointers. Thanks.
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by eyennyin: 7:13am On Jun 08, 2016
Place is there any speech therapist in uyo in Akwa Ibom. My son of 3 years has issues on speech. Can't pronounce words correctly and he cries over anything. If he asks for something he asks with a cry. He withdraws in school from his classmates and is easily intimidated or bullied.
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by Amy20: 10:19pm On Aug 03, 2018
daisyjo:

Good day daisyjo. Pls are you still in port Harcourt? If yes I would like to see you asap. My daughter also has the same issues and would love to come to your agency. Will send you an email.
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by billchucks(m): 10:07am On Apr 07, 2020
.Peter, 08036532254

Early Care Intervention For Autism and Special Needs Children
I don’t know about you but I know raising a special needs child can be tasking and energy sapping.
I know that as a parent you desire your child to live an independent life to an extent.
You want a situation where your child has a mind of its own.

You desire your child to make an impact not only socially but also academically.
These are just a few of your earnest desire.

While the journey can be a real challenge you can make the journey simpler, and less energy sapping if you have an experienced tutor who understands how to analyze the emotional and intellectual capacity of your child.

Armed with this skill, the tutor is fully capable of impacting your child.
It is important you have an experienced tutor who:

1. Has Great Organizational Skills
2. Has the creativity to adapt lessons to suit the learning strength of your child be it visual, auditory or kinesthetic style.
3. Is highly intuitive and can instinctively understand what your child is trying to say even when they have a difficulty expressing themselves.
4. Has a calming nature in order to reduce the level of stress during tutoring.
5. Pays attention to details
6. Adapts to stressors such as outburst, meltdown and disruptions.
7. Knows how to control ones anger even when there is outburst and
8. Has a good sense of humour and empathy.

These will help the child become the best version of themselves and will indeed make you proud.
And that is what we do.

We offer
• Speech Therapy
• Behavioural Therapy
• Occupational Therapy
• Cognitive Drilling and Dietary Intervention.

Why dietary intervention?

Dietary intervention is key for an autistic child since most children with ASD have weak gut offering the right diet is very helpful and have been proven to relieve some of the symptoms.

Fees

While our service is not damn cheap they are affordable to those who want to see an improvement in their communication and cognitive skills.
We look forward to hearing you
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by JesChill(m): 10:37am On Aug 10, 2020
daisyjo:

@amenamen.my son is doing very well.I am amazed at how far we have come in the last one year and half.God has been merciful.My son talks now,his conversation skills are improving daily, so are his social skills.He can feed himself,responds to his name,better eye contact,hyperactivity has reduced a lot,he is more composed and focused and a lot of the behaviors that classified him as autistic are gone no.He is recovering very fast and at a pace that amazes me.A few months ago we discovered that he has an unusual gift for reading.He reads and pronounces very complex words and sentences to the amazement of many including his teachers.H e does social play and pretend play e.g attempting to feed his teddy,pretending to cook etc.He dresses and undresses himself without help.There are still some behaviors that we are still grappling with like he recently started echolalia which makes him repeat questions you ask him before he answers.so when you say 'what do yu want' he replies 'what do you want' before he says 'water'.He can answer 'yes' and 'no' appropriately and he enjoys playing pranks at me.He also says 'sorry' when he has done something to upset you and would pray before he sleeps.He writes and reads and identifies up 1 to 200 if he wants to.he knows his alphabets and phonics and would write both small and capital letters when in the mood.He vehemently refuses to have anything to do with numbers.If you ask him to write '1', he would write 'one' instead.He sometimes ignores parts of numbers e.g he would see 106 and say 6 or 10 leaving either the first part or last part behind.
He still does speech and behavior therapy but we reduced to two hours at home daily.His therapist only goes to school twice weekly now though it was formerly everyday.He participates in assembly etc.I have had to change therapists and organizations about four times as most of them do not have a heart for the job or do not know what they are doing.He shows interest in music so we got him a set of drums and a piano which he uses sometimes.He is almost obsessed with shapes and would go to bed with a round object(any one) daily.He calls those objects circle.
Over the past months,i have supplemented him,chelated and used homeopathy.These i did based on findings from specific tests we did to test for allergies,mineral and vitamin deficiencies,metabolic issues and heavy metals.
He is completely off the GFCF diet after over a year on it.We however still limit his intake of processed foods,unhealthy snacks and drinks which make him spacey and hyperactive.Cellfood mineral oxygen water helped a lot with his gut issues.He still takes this daily.He also does his epsom baths weekly and bentonite clay bath weekly too.Essential oils like lavender,ylang ylang, vetiver and cedarwood used to massage his week helped his sleep too but he doesn't need them anymore.Homeopathy and supplements like DMG,Folinic acid,B6 and L carnosine also helped with his speech greatly.
I started a Blackeberry group-SUPERMOMS as a support group for mums with children who have development challenges and many of the members are from Nairaland.Together we have embraced hope and every little improvement in our kids is worth celebrating.we share tips and ideas and no matter how distraught we feel,there is always someone on the group with a listening ear.
@ Iguodela, your nephew may not be on the spectrum but he sure needs a lot of help.Early intervention is key and trust me, most of the work,you guys would have to do alone.I have met several doctors and most of them know next to nothing about autism or speech and development delays such as .Sadly,many do not want to know and this is not only in Nigeria.Getting a proper diagnosis is difficult.They like us mothers are groping for answers but unlike them,we cant wait!
@K4KENNY,over time i have come to respect a mother's power or intuition.When a mum thinks there is something about her child,usually,there is.I would advice that you get him assessed and right away start addressing the issues you are identifying.Aggression and self injurious behaviors such as head banging are major red flags.I have attached an assessment form here which would give you an idea but PLEASE don't be quick to label your child as several tools will be used to determine if he is on the spectrum or not.Also,accurate diagnosis cant be made until he is 3 years old but you need not wait.Clean out his diet,help him eat healthy,socialize with his peers. Although quite difficult be sure to let him know that aggressive behaviors and tantrums are unacceptable behaviors.
You can email me on gedaisy2000@yahoo.com

Hello Daisy, i am just seeing this post after all these years and it resonates with me, Can i contact you in anyway? I also stay in PH....Thanks
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by Lydiazcorner: 11:26am On Apr 08
I suspect Autism,please see a pediatrician.
Re: Are There Any Speech Therapists In Portharcourt?-my Son Needs One. by Lydiazcorner: 10:47am On Apr 11
Dear daisy,
Please I sent you an email,kindly read and respond, thank you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kaduna confirms 20 Coronavirus Cases, including 4-Month-Old Girl / Woman's Breast And Butt Implants Goes Horribly Wrong / Health Benefits Of Mackerel Fish (titus Fish)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.