Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,058 members, 7,814,642 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:49 PM

Why Cant My Married Friend Be My Chief Bridesmaid? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Cant My Married Friend Be My Chief Bridesmaid? (8360 Views)

My Married Friend Needs Your Advice / Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? / As A Best-man / Chief-bridesmaid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Cant My Married Friend Be My Chief Bridesmaid? by slimyem: 12:06pm On Mar 05, 2012
I dont have a female cousin or sister i'd want to play that role and all my other good friends are not desirable for it.
my best friend and only one i want the part for is married.
does my chief bridesmaid/maids of honour have to be single?
what if all my girl-friends are married?
is there a wedding police that's going to come arrest me if i choose a marriaed woman to play this part?
can't i break away from this old tradition? cool cool cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Why Cant My Married Friend Be My Chief Bridesmaid? by mission08: 1:54pm On Mar 05, 2012
Not necessarily. I don't think this practice is carved in stone, I personally feel there is nothing wrong if u decide to use your married friend as your chief bride's maid so long she is still in shape and she agreed to take up the role. I also wanted to use my married friend but when she hinted me that she was planning to get pregnant and there is possibility of her pregnancy being obvious by then( I told her 6 months b4 the wedding), I had no choice but opted for my younger sister's friend.
Re: Why Cant My Married Friend Be My Chief Bridesmaid? by TV01(m): 2:23pm On Mar 05, 2012
I believe the traditional way to include a "married" friend in your bridal train is the "maid of honour" role. But like mission08 has said, I don't see why you can't be a little creative here. The "wedding police" are technically your ushers, who the bride and groom hold sway over anyway grin!

Have a wonderful and memorable day.

TV
Re: Why Cant My Married Friend Be My Chief Bridesmaid? by agiboma(f): 2:50pm On Mar 05, 2012
Choose whoever you want married or not, its your big day so you call the shots.
Re: Why Cant My Married Friend Be My Chief Bridesmaid? by blank(f): 3:21pm On Mar 05, 2012
I was bridesmaid to my friend and i was pregnant then sef. But i love that chic so much, i couldnt say no.
Re: Why Cant My Married Friend Be My Chief Bridesmaid? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Mar 05, 2012
Slimcrazy is at it again, Doctorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Som1 here needs help. You better face your studies you this 17yrs old student, angry angry
Re: Why Cant My Married Friend Be My Chief Bridesmaid? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Mar 05, 2012
Why get married? It's a crazy thing to do! angry
Re: Why Cant My Married Friend Be My Chief Bridesmaid? by Commander12: 4:35pm On Mar 05, 2012
The "wedding police" are technically your ushers, who the bride and groom hold sway over anyway ![img]http://www.kroro.info/g.php[/img]
Re: Why Cant My Married Friend Be My Chief Bridesmaid? by kelz88(f): 5:00pm On Mar 05, 2012
Personally, I wouldn't want to use a married friend as I would assume she would bring her hubby as her guest. . . .wouldn't want her sitting with me while her hubby is sitting some other place.

I wouldn't want to use my sister as I would love for my family to relax and enjoy the day. . . .without having to hold my dress, etc.

Using a single babe is nice so she can meet the single grooms men tongue
But if you don't have a single friend manage the one wey dey.
Re: Why Cant My Married Friend Be My Chief Bridesmaid? by 4wardever(m): 5:15pm On Mar 05, 2012
kelz88:

Personally, I wouldn't want to use a married friend as I would assume she would bring her hubby as her guest. . . .wouldn't want her sitting with me while her hubby is sitting some other place.

I wouldn't want to use my sister as I would love for my family to relax and enjoy the day. . . .without having to hold my dress, etc.

But if you don't have a single friend manage the one wey dey.

Seriously, I doubt how successful this has been.

@Poster, it's your day. Write the rules!

1 Like

Re: Why Cant My Married Friend Be My Chief Bridesmaid? by slimyem: 5:47pm On Mar 05, 2012
sauer:

seriously?? shocked shocked shocked
Ijogz K:

Slimcrazy is at it again, Doctorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Som1 here needs help. You better face your studies you this[b] 17yrs old student, angry angry[/b]
lmao@bolded.
i'm sorry i'm not willing to feed your lack of scruples on here.
just wander away! grin grin grin
@all, i appreciate all comments so far.keep 'em coming! smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Why Cant My Married Friend Be My Chief Bridesmaid? by dustydee: 5:55pm On Mar 05, 2012
it's just the African or should I say Nigerian mentality. who says the person must be single?you can choose to have none or use your mum if you are comfortable with it?I know people who didn't use their closest friends because they felt they will be better off running around on that day putting things in order.
Re: Why Cant My Married Friend Be My Chief Bridesmaid? by mission08: 6:16pm On Mar 05, 2012
dustydee:

it's just the African or should I say Nigerian mentality. who says the person must be single?you can choose to have none or use your mum if you are comfortable with it?I know people who didn't use their closest friends because they felt they will be better off running around on that day putting things in order.

Well said.

Bride's maid dont do much on the D-day except fan you, hold ur gown (dat is if it's flowing), pick ur calls and do other petty things for ur convenience. Another important thing though is she'll help in picking the money sprayed on u, that is if it's an owambe party grin grin grin. For the money part, it may not work well using someone u dont trust with money because u cant monitor the cash u'll receive as gift. So apart from the trust aspect, she doesnt have to be ur best friend but someone trustworthy. But if u are ok with ur married friend as a bride's maid, common, you are good to go and other friends may come handy with other logistics.
Re: Why Cant My Married Friend Be My Chief Bridesmaid? by dasparrow: 7:24pm On Mar 05, 2012
sauer:

Genau, herrn Sauer cheesy
Re: Why Cant My Married Friend Be My Chief Bridesmaid? by yemiofGod(f): 8:51am On Mar 06, 2012
Who says?

I was chief bridesmaid to two of my friends married as I was (still am).

Go ahead with ur plans and I wish u a fruitful wedlock ahead!
Re: Why Cant My Married Friend Be My Chief Bridesmaid? by Jemibee: 9:20am On Mar 06, 2012
There's no universal reule that states that she has to be single. So u can go ahead and do what suits u most. The most important thg is that u stick to ur plans for that day so u get to enjoy ur day to it's fullest.
Re: Why Cant My Married Friend Be My Chief Bridesmaid? by pynkspyce: 11:32am On Mar 06, 2012
ur day, ur rules
Re: Why Cant My Married Friend Be My Chief Bridesmaid? by LordReed(m): 2:55pm On Mar 06, 2012
@dustydee
I feel like calling you names but I will refrain. Did white weddings originate in Africa or in Nigeria? State facts instead of saying rubbish.

@topic
Feel free to have your married friend as your Chief Bridesmaid. The reason singles are usually used as brides maids and grooms men is simply because the bride's or groom's closest friends would also be single. As your bestie is married it doesn't negate the wedding tradition in anyway.
Re: Why Cant My Married Friend Be My Chief Bridesmaid? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Mar 28, 2012
Come and make me ur chief bride's maid. Wa la hi. Everytin go set well well
Re: Why Cant My Married Friend Be My Chief Bridesmaid? by oln: 6:00pm On Mar 28, 2012
[quote author=kelz88]

[quote author=4wardever]

Seriously, I doubt how successful this has been.

^^U can't be soo sure my dear.It does happen.Was the maid of honour at a wedding when i met my hubby'one of the groom's men' grin kiss
Re: Why Cant My Married Friend Be My Chief Bridesmaid? by slimyem: 2:29am On Mar 30, 2012
bennyraz: Come and make me ur chief bride's maid. Wa la hi. Everytin go set well well
how man go be chief bridesmaid?
You smoke mess? cheesy

(1) (Reply)

My Husband Is Selfish / Moved Out Of My Parents House Today And This Happened / ‘I Took Off My Underwear’ (A Must Read For All Ladies And Mummies-MEN Keep-Off)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.