Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,834 members, 7,810,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:57 PM

Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? (3445 Views)

Man Trying To Sleep With A Married Woman In Bayelsa Caught Pants Down (Pics) / Househelp Cleans Her Vagina With Napkin, Then Wipes Her Boss' Dishes With It:Pic / My Married Friend Needs Your Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by Nobody: 10:31am On Jan 05, 2015
A little background info...

A dear friend sent me a message that I should stop doing those things exclusive to married couples whenever I come to visit his household.

To say I was shocked to get that message would be an understatement. I kept my cool and asked him as nicely as I could muster what my crime was.

He smiled and told me that whenever I come to visit and I am presented with food, I should not appreciate his hospitality by helping the wife take the dirty dishes to the kitchen.

He said that sends the wrong message to the wife and it is one area that should be left for him to handle. I totally did not understand him and he said I would understand when I eventually get a wife of my own.

Recalling my conversation with him still leaves me rather confused, hence my question: Is it improper to help put away the dirty dishes in the home of a married friend?
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by AZeD1(m): 10:53am On Jan 05, 2015
Nope.
Your friend is lazy and insecure. The reason he wants you to stop is because he doesn't do those things and has probably told his wife that "Men" don't do such. You doing it exposes him.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by Nobody: 10:55am On Jan 05, 2015
AZeD1:
Nope.
Your friend is lazy and insecure. The reason he wants you to stop is because he doesn't do those things and has probably told his wife that "Men" don't do such. You doing it exposes him.

If that's his reason then I think its not a good one. Anyways I assured him that I won't do it again whenever I come visiting.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by AZeD1(m): 10:59am On Jan 05, 2015
striktlymi:

If that's his reason then I think its not a good one. Anyways I assured him that I won't do it again whenever I come visiting.
Well that's my theory. Besides when ever people give you vague answers like "When you marry, you'll understand bla bla", it means they have no point.

9 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by Nobody: 11:10am On Jan 05, 2015
AZeD1:

Well that's my theory. Besides when ever people give you vague answers like "When you marry, you'll understand bla bla", it means they have no point.

Okay, cool!
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by TrishaP(f): 11:18am On Jan 05, 2015
You had a good home training.. Majority of guys can't do that, reason..it's supposed to be the woman who should do it whereas it's not just the woman that ate there. It's something any one can help with and I think ur friend is just being jealous and insecured bcus he can't ever reason doing such.
But u should just respect his wish bcus it's not ur home and you wouldn't want to ruin ur friendship.

13 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by Nobody: 11:22am On Jan 05, 2015
TrishaP:
You had a good home training.. Majority of guys can't do that, reason..it's supposed to be the woman who should do it whereas it's not just the woman that ate there. It's something any one can help with and I think ur friend is just being jealous and insecured bcus he can't ever reason doing such.
But u should just respect his wish bcus it's not ur home and you wouldn't want to ruin ur friendship.

Cool!

I have hands off already.

Tempted to not visit him at home again.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by marbee(f): 11:30am On Jan 05, 2015
Maybe,the wife don't want you to be entering her kitchen.

It is better you obey your friend,because you are a guest and you can also do yourself good by limiting your visit.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by TrishaP(f): 11:33am On Jan 05, 2015
striktlymi:

Cool!

I have hands off already.

Tempted to not visit him at home again.
Better.. I'll do the same too

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by Nobody: 11:41am On Jan 05, 2015
It isn't wrong! It is very polite. I would appreciate it. It says a lot about you, very good manners. However, if your friend has a problem with it, you have to accept it.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by Onegai(f): 12:06pm On Jan 05, 2015
It shows you have good manners.

However, a lot of men feel it is forbidden to actually help their wives in the kitchen, lest she starts to demand it and before you know it, she will also want a maid, expect him to tidy up after himself, iron his clothes, demand for a washing machine and ask her Lord and Master, sorry I meant Husband grin to please help her with chores and keeping an eye on the children they both have and kasala will just burst.

However, please accede to his demands, as it is his home (most likely his wife brought it up in an argument like "why can't you be as nice as your friend!"wink

If you did come to my home and do that, I'd make sure you get 2 pieces of meat in your plate everytime you showed up. I'd also look for a good girl for you wink

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by KanwuliaJara: 12:10pm On Jan 05, 2015
striktlymi:

A dear friend sent me a message that I should stop doing those things exclusive to married couples whenever I come to visit his household.

To say I was shocked to get that message would be an understatement. I kept my cool and asked him as nicely as I could muster what my crime was.

He smiled and told me that whenever I come to visit and I am presented with food, I should not appreciate his hospitality by helping the wife take the dirty dishes to the kitchen.

He said that sends the wrong message to the wife and it is one area that should be left for him to handle. I totally did not understand him and he said I would understand when I eventually get a wife of my own.

Recalling my conversation with him still leaves me rather confused, hence my question: Is it improper to help put away the dirty dishes in the home of a married friend?

He has told you WHAT he does not like.
You should have no problem complying. . . . .OR STOP GOING/EATING THERE! kiss
Your crime is that you are interfering with the 'master-servant' relationship in this marriage.
A BIBLICAL, submissive wife is the ONLY thing that allows MOST NIGERIAN MEN'S BLOKOSES TO RISE TO HALF DECENT MASTS ABOVE OR BELOW THE MATTRESS LEVELS!

Do you want him to suffer ERRRRRRRRREKTILE DYSFUNCTION or PREMATURE EJJJAKULATION? cheesy

15 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by LordReed(m): 12:30pm On Jan 05, 2015
KanwuliaJara:

Your crime is that you are interfering with the 'master-servant' relationship in this marriage.
A BIBLICAL, submissive wife is the ONLY thing that allows MOST NIGERIAN MEN'S BLOKOSES TO RISE TO HALF DECENT MAST ABOVE OR BELOW THE MATTRESS!

Do you want him to suffer ERRRRRRRRREKTILE DYSFUNCTION or PREMATURE EJJJAKULATION? cheesy

KanwuliaJara strikes again! grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jan 05, 2015
marbee:
Maybe,the wife don't want you to be entering her kitchen.

It is better you obey your friend,because you are a guest and you can also do yourself good by limiting your visit.

I don't think the wife has any issue with it. I maintain my distance actually.

I go there strictly on invitation and most times I don't honour the invites.

Any more limiting my visit would mean not going there at all even when invited.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jan 05, 2015
carefreewannabe:
It isn't wrong! It is very polite. I would appreciate it. It says a lot about you, very good manners. However, if your friend has a problem with it, you have to accept it.

I do accept it....

Just trying yo understand the rationale.

Thanks!
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jan 05, 2015
KanwuliaJara:

A BIBLICAL, submissive wife is the ONLY thing that allows MOST NIGERIAN MEN'S BLOKOSES TO RISE TO HALF DECENT MAST ABOVE OR BELOW THE MATTRESS!

Now didn't he make me feel sheepish! grin

Ajuwaya brah!
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jan 05, 2015
striktlymi:

I do accept it....

Just trying yo understand the rationale.

Thanks!

I doubt it is rational.

Maybe he is jealous but definitely not rational, my two cents.

However, I really like your attitude. Keep it up. Some people will appreciate it.

8 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jan 05, 2015
carefreewannabe:

I doubt it is rational.

Maybe he is jealous but definitely not rational, my two cents.

However, I really like your attitude. Keep it up. Some people will appreciate it.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by TV01(m): 1:02pm On Jan 05, 2015
striktlymi:

What is proper is for you to humbly respect the boundaries your friend sets for you in his home. If you can't, don't visit, or un-friend him cheesy. You are gracious to offer, but should take no offence - and graciously accept - if he declines. End of.

It could be either he or his wife are uncomfortable with it - for reasons best known to them. Perhaps the see doing the dishes as a special bonding activity for just the two of them. Please learn to be more diplomatic, unperturbed by relatively insignigficant stuff and stop over-analysing. All you've done here is expose yourself and your friend to unthinking criticism. Honestly.

TV

I've come back to some wierd utterances by men on the Family board. May have to put a series together angry.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jan 05, 2015
TV01:

What is proper is for you to humbly respect the boundaries your friend sets for you in his home. If you can't, don't visit, or un-friend him cheesy. You are gracious to offer, but should take no offence - and graciously accept - if he declines. End of.

It could be either he or his wife are uncomfortable with it - for reasons best known to them. Perhaps the see doing the dishes as a special bonding activity for just the two of them. Please learn to be more diplomatic, unperturbed by relatively insignigficant stuff and stop over-analysing. All you've done here is expose yourself and your friend to unthinking criticism. Honestly.

TV

I've come back to some wierd utterances by men on the Family board. May have to put a series together angry.

Cool!
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jan 05, 2015
KanwuliaJara:

A BIBLICAL, submissive wife is the ONLY thing that allows MOST NIGERIAN MEN'S BLOKOSES TO RISE TO HALF DECENT MASTS ABOVE OR BELOW THE MATTRESS LEVELS!

Carlotti! you no go kill me with laff, see as you take translate am. Naija man don suffer for your hand

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by crackhaus: 6:26pm On Jan 05, 2015
striktlymi:

It's not wrong to put away dirty dishes when you visit someone, neither is it a sign of proper upbringing if you do (I see that sentiment being thrown around here).

It's quite simple really - you visit your friend, his wife serves you a plate of food (on the dining table probably), then you finish having your meal but instead of heading back to the sitting area, you pick up the plate and head into the kitchen.

Please tell me you're seeing the problem here...

It's either you're much too comfortable in that house, or you overestimate the kind of friendship you have with your friend and his wife.

Now imagine you are not the only visitor, and they all finish their meal (served by the hostess of course) and make their way to the kitchen - each and everyone of them...
Would you understand your friend's POV better now?

My only grouse with your friend is in the way he voiced his displeasure by sending a message.
Usually it happens that when you're in the process of returning the used dish(es) to the kitchen, a normal friend would ask you politely then and there not to bother but to come join him in the sitting room/continue your conversation if you both were having one.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jan 05, 2015
crackhaus:

It's not wrong to put away dirty dishes when you visit someone, neither is it a sign of proper upbringing if you do (I see that sentiment being thrown around here).

It's quite simple really - you visit your friend, his wife serves you a plate of food (on the dining table probably), then you finish having your meal but instead of heading back to the sitting area, you pick up the plate and head into the kitchen.

Please tell me you're seeing the problem here...

It's either you're much too comfortable in that house, or you overestimate the kind of friendship you have with your friend and his wife.

Now imagine you are not the only visitor, and they all finish their meal (served by the hostess of course) and make their way to the kitchen - each and everyone of them...
Would you understand your friend's POV better now?

My only grouse with your friend is in the way he voiced his displeasure, usually it happens that when you're in the process of returning a used dish(es) to the kitchen, a normal friend would ask you politely then and there not to bother but to come join him in the sitting room/continue your conversation if you both were having one.

Nah not as you say it is.

We are close enough for him to have a key to my crib and prepare himself whatever meal he wants in my absence.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by crackhaus: 6:44pm On Jan 05, 2015
striktlymi:

Nah not as you say it is.

We are close enough for him to have a key to my crib and prepare himself whatever meal he wants in my absence.
I see, and thus you feel very comfortable in his crib as well...

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by veave(f): 6:55pm On Jan 05, 2015
Bros. Dont eat their food again. Just an indirect way of saying... your visits are becoming a nuisance. Sit your azz down in your own house. Or better still, go and marry.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jan 05, 2015
crackhaus:

I see, and thus you feel very comfortable in his crib as well...

Yep until he got married.

Though I am somewhat close to the wife before they got married but I know my limits when gf turns to wify.

Anyways, his grouse really is that we are sending the wrong message to the wife.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jan 05, 2015
veave:
Bros. Dont eat their food again. Just an indirect way of saying... your visits are becoming a nuisance. Sit your azz down in your own house. Or better still, go and marry.

Lol!!!

I don't visit unless invited actually!

The only reason I even visit is because he accused me of pulling away from any friend who gets married.

Maybe I would have to revert to that since I obviously am getting things wrong with him.

At least now I have an excuse not to honour the invites.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by crackhaus: 7:19pm On Jan 05, 2015
striktlymi:

Yep until he got married.

Though I am somewhat close to the wife before they got married but I know my limits when gf turns to wify.

Anyways, his grouse really is that we are sending the wrong message to the wife.
Okay.
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by mployer(m): 7:24pm On Jan 05, 2015
I even do that in the restaurant sometimes cheesy
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by mployer(m): 7:25pm On Jan 05, 2015

Unknowingly tho.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jan 05, 2015
Maybe it gave his wife ideas and he is not too happy about it cheesy
Re: Is It Wrong To Help Put Away The Dirty Dishes In The Home Of A Married Friend? by bukatyne(f): 7:54pm On Jan 05, 2015
mployer:

Used to do that too

Sometimes clean up an hotel room or the table I use in a restaurant cheesy To me, good manbers cheesy

@OP: All has been said

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Wife Says She Won't Cook For Me Again. Pls Advice! / Village Girl Just Enter Lagos For The First Time (pic) / At What Age Did You Marry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.