Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:32 AM

Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said (3736 Views)

Buhari Blames Economic Woes On Past Leaders / I Taught they said this Man was brutal / Buhari Will Not Probe Past Leaders – Oyegun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by Nobody: 6:02pm On Mar 05, 2012
DID OUR PAST LEADERS BELIEVED IN ONE NIGERIA ?, HEAR WHAT THEY SAID;

Obafemi Awolowo: We do not believe in one Nigeria;"Nigeria is a mere geographical expression ".

Sir Ahmadu Bello, " We do not beleive in the contraption called Nigeria; The amalgamation of Nothern and Southern Nigeria by the British colonialists was a mistake "

Dr.Nnamdi Azikiwe : “if because I am an instrument of destiny through which imperialism in West Africa is to be challenged and liquidated, and if in this mission I am compelled to pay the supreme penalty, then there is no need for me to quake or to quiver. I am becoming convinced day by day that the New Africa is destined to become a reality. No force under the heavens can stem it. Even my death cannot postpone its crystallization"

His vision and strong belief in one united Nigeria was unmitigated and unmatched. Thus, while some of his contemporaries were content creating impregnable regional bases, Zik pursued a pan Nigerian constituency. From every stretch of calculation, Zik is decidedly the father of Nigeria" .

Has Zik's dream remained an illussion ?
Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by manchy7531: 6:04pm On Mar 05, 2012
A dream is and will always be a dream! Vision is the KEY that unlocks the future! Ikemba didn't dream but rather, he saw a vision of Nigeria of today; hence greater than Zik who dreamt but didn't see beyond his dream!
Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by Nobody: 6:10pm On Mar 05, 2012
The 1st two were realists, while Zik was an idealist and utopian. In one sentence Awo and Ahmadu Bello gave u their opinion, but Zik went on with his trench

Zik saw a nation with questionable nationhood but never saw his people. Awo and Ahmadu Bello saw their people 1st.

1 Like

Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by chosen04(f): 6:38pm On Mar 05, 2012
Zik was too short sighted!!!! . . . . . . . .Why will he believe so much in ''one niGERia'' that never existed in reality?

1 Like

Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by Nobody: 6:42pm On Mar 05, 2012
Zik was a greed who wanted to rule Nigeria by force by liasioning with the same boko harams killing them to outdo the yorubas.

1 Like

Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by chosen04(f): 7:31pm On Mar 05, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Zik was a greed who wanted to rule Nigeria by force by liasioning with the same boko harams killing them to outdo the yorubas.

Am not a fan of Zik but are you sure you are not mistaken Awo for Zik?
Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by dayokanu(m): 7:43pm On Mar 05, 2012
^^ Didnt you notice Zik preferred to be a houseboy under Balewa just to rule Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by nku5: 7:52pm On Mar 05, 2012
@ bluetooth- its very easy to conjure up a conspiracy but can u dig up any shred of evidence of what you are alleging? Its just unfortunate was a nigerian. If he had been from ghana or anywhere else he would have lived to see his dream come true. Nigerians are a knuckleheaded breed
Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by Vansnickers: 10:34am On Mar 06, 2012
~Bluetooth:

SMH.
Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by kshow1(m): 10:43am On Mar 06, 2012
sam(obo):

DID OUR PAST LEADERS BELIEVED IN ONE NIGERIA ?, HEAR WHAT THEY SAID;

Obafemi Awolowo: We do not believe in one Nigeria;"Nigeria is a mere geographical expression ".

Sir Ahmadu Bello, " We do not beleive in the contraption called Nigeria; The amalgamation of Nothern and Southern Nigeria by the British colonialists was a mistake "

Dr.Nnamdi Azikiwe : “if because I am an instrument of destiny through which imperialism in West Africa is to be challenged and liquidated, and if in this mission I am compelled to pay the supreme penalty, then there is no need for me to quake or to quiver. I am becoming convinced day by day that the New Africa is destined to become a reality. No force under the heavens can stem it. Even my death cannot postpone its crystallization"

His vision and strong belief in one united Nigeria was unmitigated and unmatched. Thus, while some of his contemporaries were content creating impregnable regional bases, Zik pursued a pan Nigerian constituency. From every stretch of calculation, Zik is decidedly the father of Nigeria" .

TWO- THIRD IS A MAJORITY

So what are we waiting for ??

1 Like

Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by LEXYLOV: 11:15am On Mar 06, 2012
Tawafa Balawa and Obafemi Awolowo DID smiley
Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by T8ksy(m): 11:17am On Mar 06, 2012
chosen04:

Zik was too short sighted!!!! . . . . . . . .Why will heand his people believe so much in ''one niGERia'' that never existed in reality?

Abi ojare!!! also why did ironsi and his ibo advisers impose UNITARY system of govt

on this dumb contraption, that is obviously "a mere geographical expression"?

Prior to independence, only zik and his ibo people wanted ONE NIGERIA.

Illusion ke? No, it's a blo.ody farce which he himself (deep down), does not subscribe to.

1 Like

Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by Duru1(m): 11:41am On Mar 06, 2012
@POST

Ironically one of those who ran their mouths about being apathetic to One-Nigeria engaged in a war of attrition to impose On-Nigeria on the people. I guess some folks talk with both sides of their mouths. I warn a word is enough for the wise.
Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by otondo55: 11:42am On Mar 06, 2012

Nigeria remains a joke as its never realistic as things unfold.

What was seen in 1970 still repeat itself today, Nigerian elites in the corridor of power today see nothing wrong with

"the unholy marriage" called Nigeria as they continue their looting.

We the youth are watching, as the lion eats, the cubs are learning. But shall we continue like this ? HELL NO !

Living side by side as a separate entities, remains the best bet. And it shall eventually come to pass !
Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by T8ksy(m): 11:54am On Mar 06, 2012
Duru1:

@POST

Ironically one of those who ran their mouths about being apathetic to One-Nigeria engaged in a war of attrition to impose On-Nigeria on the people. I guess some folks talk with both sides of their mouths. I warn a word is enough for the wise. 

it was the ibos through Ironsi who foisted ONE NIGERIA on us without asking

anyone and those who engaged in the "war of attrition" as you tagged it, did so, not to maintain ONE

NIGERIA but rather to deny ibos their much-awaited rationale to occupy their homeland.
Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by ajbabs(m): 12:40pm On Mar 06, 2012
The self imposing leaders like AWOLOWO and CO would have loved nigeria to divide along the tribal groups just because they wanted to rule their people as C-in-C and to sit UN security council.They were power intoxicated. grin
Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by otondo55: 1:09pm On Mar 06, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woQ0KcAeVWE&feature=youtu.be[url][/url]

Interesting interview here even though we may not all agree with the Ikemba's assertions and conclusions. The man was an institution. This one is for the archives. Enjoy and learn, Femi Fani-Kayode
Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by babaowo: 1:16pm On Mar 06, 2012
too late now folks, embrace 1nigeria lol
Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by Kachi01: 2:22pm On Mar 06, 2012
Zik is a true nationalist who tried his best to keep nigeria together when Awo and Balewa are playing tribal politics. Ikemba declared independent state of Biafra and the igbos were attacked by nigerian army led by Obasanjo(Yoruba) T.Y Danjuma (half aboki) B. Adekunle (Yoruba) etc. After the war, no igbo man have attained the rank of a Major General in the army witout being retired for fear of another war. Why is nigeria so afraid of the igbos? Why cant they leave us to go and establish our nation? Long live BIAFRA, THE LAND OF THE RISING SUN. Is not over until it is over.
Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by Dede1(m): 3:01pm On Mar 06, 2012
T8ksy:

it was the ibos through Ironsi who foisted ONE NIGERIA on us without asking

anyone and those who engaged in the "war of attrition" as you tagged it, did so, not to maintain ONE

NIGERIA but rather to deny ibos their much-awaited rationale to occupy their homeland.

I really do not know the book you read which convinced you to believe in Ironsi and One-Nigeria. If I may deduce from your stream of thought, I had believed Nigeria was not one entity on January 1, 1966. During Tafawa Balewa regime, the central government wielded enormous power and control.
Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by bittyend(m): 3:14pm On Mar 06, 2012
You keyboard warriors can debate from now till kingdom come - Nigeria is here to stay. Nigeria is the only country I know, and I'll die a Nigerian. We just need a complete overhaul of the whole system and go back to regional governments - and less power at the center.

We're Nigerians and no one, I repeat no one is going to stop this union - not even the hallucinating paper tiger called Amerikkka. First, they said 2015, now it 2030 - and next it's going to be 20 and what the phuck??

I was born a Nigerian, and will die Nigerian - though, the country has never done anything for me - but the pride in being Nigerian, and seeing Nigerians achieving great things everywhere I go - keeps me going in life.

Phuck you keyboard warriors and all the prophets of doom - Nigeria is here to stay! cool
Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by Vavavoom(m): 4:18pm On Mar 06, 2012
By their actions - No! But I choose to speak of the current. The Status Quo.

I don't think looking back just now we face a different problem - contempt for kind still exist widely, sustained conceit by class abounds within a chosen group; fear-wrapped in the burden of tomorrow's offerings most of us are likely to turn out as those in privileged positions. What difference would I be if given a chance? Will I be different from what aspersions I cast?

History for me is repeating itself, we haven't made conscious effort to move away from the failings of the founding fathers instead we have continued to potray and push forward what differences that separate us. We continue to be bunched together without any realization of a common purpose.

I don't know how, but I see the lack of a national spirit as a major drawback - and the danger is what we as adult don't have we hardly can pass on to a watchful teenager/youth to imbibe. Nationalism '' no be wetin dem write for book, na sacrifice, conscious sacrifice made today to help sustain people of tomorrow to go in the right path''.

Until we become such men who cease to potray self first (region/ethnic sentiments/religious sentiments/class sentiments) - we will continue to hover and puff around with no sense of collective accomplishment as a unit.
Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by Fhemmmy: 4:22pm On Mar 06, 2012
we dont ave to worry about what they believe, WHAT DO WE BELIEVE?
Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by adventisty: 4:59pm On Mar 06, 2012
DECEIT!!!
And we are still deceiving ourselves still.
Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by Standing5(m): 5:07pm On Mar 06, 2012
The new nation called Nigeria should be an estate of our great grand father, Othman Danfodio. We must ruthlessly prevent a change of power. We must use the minorities in the North as willing tools and the South as conquered territories and never allow them to rule over us or have control over their future.” (Sir Ahmadu Bello October 12, 1960)

With the above statement, i don't believe in Ojukwu saw or Awolowo saw blah blah blah crap,  Any sane person should get message and know its implication well enough.
Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by ginger2: 5:23pm On Mar 06, 2012
@bittyend so you will die soon? ohh its a pity you wont live long. be sure of what ur wishing for urself
Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by ijigbamigb(m): 7:53pm On Mar 06, 2012
bittyend:

You keyboard warriors can debate from now till kingdom come - Nigeria is here to stay. Nigeria is the only country I know, and I'll die a Nigerian. We just need a complete overhaul of the whole system and go back to regional governments - and less power at the center.

We're Nigerians and no one, I repeat no one is going to stop this union - not even the hallucinating paper tiger called Amerikkka. First, they said 2015, now it 2030 - and next it's going to be 20 and what the phuck??

I was born a Nigerian, and will die Nigerian - though, the country has never done anything for me - but the pride in being Nigerian, and seeing Nigerians achieving great things everywhere I go - keeps me going in life.

Phuck you keyboard warriors and all the prophets of doom - Nigeria is here to stay! cool

I laugh in Swahili @ your comment,

Take a look at the bolded line and tell me you really meant Nigeria should be run like the ECOWAS model, the application of your suggestion here is the starting point for disintegration, or do you just mean states and not REGIONS should control their resources,
Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by iconaus: 8:24am On Mar 07, 2012
Although Nnaanyi Zik is my brother but i disagree with that and i think most igbos also disagree that is why Ojukwu is so popular in Igboland. Awo and Bello were correct.

1 Like

Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by yiladogo: 9:08am On Mar 07, 2012
I have a question, where did this guy gt his quotes from exactly?
I don't believe Ahmadu Bello and Awolowo wanted Nigeria to divide on tribal grounds.
This sounds like someone trying to promote his own agenda,
I won't point fingers sha.
Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by TonySpike: 9:10am On Mar 07, 2012
IMHO, the duo of Awolowo and Saraduna championed the necessity of a confederacy because they understood the implications of foisting a "fake" marriage on the Nigerian people. Zik was an utopian who thought Nigeria could easily outgrow tribal cohesion, for a non-realistic nationalism. BTW, was it not Zik and his Northern masters that destabilised the then Western Region in other to forcefully drag them to the mainstream politics? In a way, I think Zik's ambition was the remote cause of the Nigerian Civil war.

1 Like

Re: Did Our Past Leaders Believed In One Nigeria ?, Hear What They Said by OneNaira6: 9:16am On Mar 07, 2012
I like Zik but it is he who put us in this mess.
why didn't he join Cameroon when they wished out of Nigeria or better yet copy their act and pull us out.
Even his own daughter was able to see what her own father could not. it is of no wonder she left and claimed another African nation as her own.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Akinwumi Adesina Wins Forbes 2013 Person Of The Year / (photo) Another Plane Crash In Adamawa State / Election Results Benue - Punch Newspaper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.