Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,202 members, 7,829,301 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

Understanding Benue! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Understanding Benue! (12144 Views)

Benue South Tribunal: David Mark In Court, Refuses To Enter Witness Box / Flooded Area In Benue State, From The Air / Pictures Of The Flood In Makurdi, Benue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Understanding Benue! by aninibinladen1(m): 11:36am On Mar 06, 2012
i took my first visit to benue "precisely - makurdi and gboko and i was totally confused and in disbelief. prior to my visit the only thing i knew about benue was from the media and what people say or tell me. i've always had the belief that benue even though middle belt has traces of hausa fulani in it after all its part of the nineteen northern states. i was shocked to find out that those people act,behave and even look more southern than northern. how the hell did a state like benue end up being called north? i would really like to know the actual status of the people occupying benue(tiv & idoma) prior to the amalgamation because what i saw in benue is different from what i read. ironically of the three major ethnic groups they're more igbos in benue than hausas so how come benue is labelled north?
Re: Understanding Benue! by DRANOEL(m): 12:09pm On Mar 06, 2012
before amalgamation northern tivland was under wukari division (northern protectorate) while southern tivland was under ogoja division (southern protectorate). due to the fact that the tivs had no traditional ruler (they are natural republicans) the british colonialist placed them under the authority of the uka of wukari (jukun traditional head) and subsequently under northern protectorate.

1 Like

Re: Understanding Benue! by DRANOEL(m): 12:58pm On Mar 06, 2012
. . . . . .historically the tivs were the last group to settle in present day nigeria and so hold no cultural affirnity to any of the tribes.
the idomas on the under hand were once under the influence of the kwararafa kingdom and argueably with little affirnity with the igbos
Re: Understanding Benue! by kokoA(m): 1:07pm On Mar 06, 2012
Benue state have nothing in common with Northern Nigeria at all. The way of life of the Benue people is completely different from that of the core-north, they have 99% similarities with people from southern Nigeria in terms of looks, behaviours, cultural and religious beliefs. Looking clearly at the Nigerian map, I still wonder how on earth will they say Benue is in the North central?

1 Like

Re: Understanding Benue! by aninibinladen1(m): 1:28pm On Mar 06, 2012
kokoA:

Benue state have nothing in common with Northern Nigeria at all. The way of life of the Benue people is completely different from that of the core-north, they have 99% similarities with people from southern Nigeria in terms of looks, behaviours, cultural and religious beliefs. Looking clearly at the Nigerian map, I still wonder how on earth will they say Benue is in the North central?

exactly my observation. in other north central states like plateau,nassarawa,kogi etc you see traces of northerness in them whereas the benue scenario is completely different.
Re: Understanding Benue! by Beaf: 1:49pm On Mar 06, 2012
This is why it is good to travel. In all honesty, I was shocked and taken aback when I read the OP's words about Benue.
It is important to know every part of the country (or as much of it as possible).

Even if you have no reason, travel. cool

Visit Shere hills (Nigeria's highest point); see what the Osun Grove is about; learn about the crafts in Bida; see wonderful ancient architecture in Kano; visit the National Museum in Lagos and see a majestic palace gate, as well as the enchanting Igbo Ukwu bronzes; pass through Obolo Afor and eat banana's the size of plantains, marvel at acres of cashew and mango tree's seemingly growing wild; check out the dye pits of Kano; visit Naraguta and see beautiful leather; don't just hear about Onitsha and Ochanja Markets, actually go there; go see what Ebu Wonder is about or watch Atilogwu or Bata.

Nigeria is a very beautiful place. Travel.

1 Like

Re: Understanding Benue! by DRANOEL(m): 1:56pm On Mar 06, 2012
kokoA:

constitutionally theres nothing like north central,northwest,south west, south east etc these were coined by abacha to effectively lord over nigeria. if you ask an average benue person i think they'll prefer a seperate region of their own independent of the middle belt or core north.
Re: Understanding Benue! by aletheia(m): 2:37pm On Mar 06, 2012
Beaf:

Visit Shere hills (Nigeria's highest point);
^
Err. . .Sir, Nigeria's highest point is Chapal Waddi on the Mambilla Plateau which is one of the most beautiful places in Nigeria. You are right though about:
Beaf:

This is why it is good to travel.

It is important to know every part of the country (or as much of it as possible).

Re: Understanding Benue! by Beaf: 2:45pm On Mar 06, 2012
^
I checked it and you are right indeed. Now I have to go there to be at the highest point experience the landscape for myself. cheesy
Re: Understanding Benue! by chosen04(f): 4:37pm On Mar 06, 2012
whats the essence of this thread? To tell us that those fools who joined their northern cohort to twist justice in niGERia now looks like ''US'' now that they are at the receiving end? . . . . . . .

I can now understand why JESUS had to WEEP!
Re: Understanding Benue! by DRANOEL(m): 7:05pm On Mar 06, 2012
@chosen04

enlighten me, benue is at the receiving end of what exactly? the last i checked theres no religious or ethnic problem in benue neither is there 'boko haram' or are you one of those who foolishly ascribe fulani herdsmen attacking farmers to be a benue thinhg? well sorry to disappoint you but the problem of fulani herdsmen affects every part of nigeria!. . . . . .stop trying to turn everything to an "igbo" issue.

1 Like

Re: Understanding Benue! by chosen04(f): 7:19pm On Mar 06, 2012
DRANOEL:

@chosen04

enlighten me, benue is at the receiving end of what exactly? the last i checked theres no religious or ethnic problem in benue neither is there 'boko haram' or are you one of those who foolishly ascribe fulani herdsmen attacking farmers to be a benue thinhg? well sorry to disappoint you but the problem of fulani herdsmen affects every part of nigeria!. . . . . .

stop trying to turn everything to an "igbo" issue.

And who mentioned Igbo in the whole of this thread?

The last time i checked i was very much aware that a kid like you wont comprehend the ''true meaning of Benue being at today's receiving end''

Its not your fault sha. . . . . . .Its the sub-standard ''quip'' you received.
Re: Understanding Benue! by Krazylover: 7:28pm On Mar 06, 2012
This is why it is good to travel. In all honesty, I was shocked and taken aback when I read the OP's words about Benue. [img]http://www.demama.info/g.php[/img]
Re: Understanding Benue! by chosen04(f): 7:29pm On Mar 06, 2012
Krazylover:

This is why it is good to travel. In all honesty, I was shocked and taken aback when I read the OP's words about Benue. [img]http://www.demama.info/g.php[/img]
Re: Understanding Benue! by DRANOEL(m): 7:54pm On Mar 06, 2012
@chosen04

at your age you still don't know the difference between benue and plateau! i still ask you how is benue at the receiving end?

like i said, there is no ethnic, religious or boko haram crisis in benue!
there have been stories of fulani herdsmen in benue like in oyo,ondo,kwara,ebonyi etc to mention a few.
but since you know more you can do good in enlightening me!

1 Like

Re: Understanding Benue! by Hatitude: 7:58pm On Mar 06, 2012
Nice to hear about Benue. Well, I was there for about 5 years and I can categorically tell you that not only are they not northerners (i.e Hausas or Fulanis), they DETEST being referred to as such. They would usually let you know that they are from the Middle Belt. I was there when there were three major tribes in the state - Tiv (pronounced TeeVee), Igalas & Idomas.

The wonderful attraction for me was the extremely rare sea mammal - Manatee. An endangered specie which at the time was rumored to be only two in captivity in the entire world. One of them was at the Makurdi Zoo. I was always chuffed to see it. I only wonder what has become of this rare mammal. It would be nice if someone could confirm if it still exists. I certainly would recommend NLanders to go see it. I don't think a lot of people can boast of having seen one. Nigeria does have some tourism treasure that they are unaware of.

Must add that they've also got the best ever Yams in the whole entire world. Never seen so much food, cheap and so abundantly available. Enough waffling.

Enjoy Benue!!!
Re: Understanding Benue! by Afam4eva(m): 8:00pm On Mar 06, 2012
I remember the argument I has with one girl from Idoma. She kept harping that she wasn't from the north. I understood what she meant but in my bid to play the devils's advocate I kept ringing it to her that Benue is in the North central.

This people don't see themselves as northerners. At least what the term "north is "in the psyche of the average southerner. That's why people should learn that there's difference between culture and an artificial creation. I hope I'm making sense.

1 Like

Re: Understanding Benue! by chosen04(f): 8:07pm On Mar 06, 2012
DRANOEL:

@chosen04

at your age you still don't know the difference between benue and plateau! i still ask you how is benue at the receiving end?

there have been stories of fulani herdsmen in benue like in oyo,ondo,kwara,ebonyi etc to mention a few.

Chai . . . . . who is talking about Plateau state here?

If only you have uppered your quiping level you would know how BENUE is now at the receiving end.

BTW, whats the essence of this thread again? To tell us that BENUE PEOPLE now look like southerners abi? . . . . . .

Please kindly dont make JESUS RE-WEEP!!!!!
Re: Understanding Benue! by DRANOEL(m): 9:02pm On Mar 06, 2012
^ first off i didn't start this thread.
secondly with your well equipped brain you have managed to say everythinG except telling me how benue is at the receiving end!
like i said earlier, remove the issue of fulani herdsmen that is ravaging most of nigeria and then tell me how benue is at the receiving end. if you can't please keep your peace!
Re: Understanding Benue! by macjive01: 9:45pm On Mar 06, 2012
Beaf:

This is why it is good to travel. In all honesty, I was shocked and taken aback when I read the OP's words about Benue.

Visit Shere hills (Nigeria's highest point); see what the Osun Grove is about; learn about the crafts in Bida; see wonderful ancient architecture in Kano; visit the National Museum in Lagos and see a majestic palace gate, as well as the enchanting Igbo Ukwu bronzes; pass through Obolo Afor and eat banana's the size of plantains, marvel at acres of cashew and mango tree's seemingly growing wild; check out the dye pits of Kano; visit Naraguta and see beautiful leather; don't just hear about Onitsha and Ochanja Markets, actually go there; go see what Ebu Wonder is about or watch Atilogwu or Bata.

Visit Kaduna south and call any of them an Hausa, and see for yourself.

on my first day in kaduna proper , after three weeks in camp, i got onto a bike and requested to be taken to an address that was like 15km away, my dear, as we approach the place with the bike man still on full rev i tapped him on the shoulders and called out " Aboki , aboki stop. "

this guy got so angry that i called him aboki-( which means a gentleman or something like that in Hausa) that he left without accepting my money.

i still feel his fuming and disappointment. he was really mad and angry.

he asked me a question i won't forget : "what is the difference btw yourself and me ?"

my broda, where do i start to answer such a question ?
Re: Understanding Benue! by Beaf: 9:53pm On Mar 06, 2012
^
Lol! Kaduna is the wrong place to get id's mixed. Have you forgoten about Zango-kataf? There is no love lost between Northern and Southern Kaduna.

"what is the difference btw yourself and me ?" That tells it all. He was telling you that he suffers the same thing as you.
Re: Understanding Benue! by achi4u(m): 11:39pm On Mar 06, 2012
DRANOEL:

@chosen04

there have been stories of fulani herdsmen in benue like in oyo,ondo,kwara,EBONYI etc to mention a few.
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]@DARONEL inasmuchas i'm not in support of the killings that occur in benue state,but can you tell me when fulani herdsmen attacted any village in ebonyi?or do u like draging the name of ebonyi to your troubled state.

nawa for you!!!
*marakwa na agbataobi onye bu nwanne ya*
Re: Understanding Benue! by oduasolja: 11:46pm On Mar 06, 2012
buhahhahaa. igbos looking for allies. i laff ohh.
Re: Understanding Benue! by aninibinladen1(m): 11:48pm On Mar 06, 2012
@beaf
thanks for the tourism updates. unfortunately travelling round the country is on the high side. I'll make due with opportunist travels.

@chosen04
i started this thread based on what i travelled and saw. Stop trying to derail the thread. You don't have to come here spreading your HATE.
Re: Understanding Benue! by DRANOEL(m): 12:09am On Mar 07, 2012
achi4u:

[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]@DARONEL inasmuchas i'm not in support of the killings that occur in benue state,but can you tell me when fulani herdsmen attacted any village in ebonyi?or do u like draging the name of ebonyi to your troubled state.

nawa for you!!!
*marakwa na agbataobi onye bu nwanne ya*

my friend you can read this: www.momentng.com/en/news/4434/-monarchs-want-fulani-herdsmen-to-vacate-ebonyi.html
Re: Understanding Benue! by Onlytruth(m): 12:18am On Mar 07, 2012
DRANOEL:

my friend you can read this: www.momentng.com/en/news/4434/-monarchs-want-fulani-herdsmen-to-vacate-ebonyi.html

My friend if you want to cite a story, try hard enough to cite a relevant story.
The case you cited is where SOLDIERS AND MOBILE POLICEMEN killed villagers who were defending themselves against Fulani herdsmen.
The traditional rulers of the state lamented that paid government security operatives were aiding and abetting Fulani rogue tresspasses on farmlands.
I would guess that if the Nigerian soldiers and mobile policemen were not doing the killing of villagers, the fulanis would not have gone unpunished for their actions.

This is part of why Nigeria needs to disintegrate so that we can have our Biafran soldiers manning the borders. Let us see then how the Fulani can even enter Biafra.
Re: Understanding Benue! by DRANOEL(m): 12:47am On Mar 07, 2012
@onlytruth

Before you run your mouth you should have atleast understood why the link was posted. the essence of that link was to show that  the problem of fulani herdsmen affects most of the nation or were fulani not involved in the story?
Re: Understanding Benue! by dayokanu(m): 1:24am On Mar 07, 2012
The victims are already here.

Whining as usual

Maybe Benue is jealous of them
Re: Understanding Benue! by chosen04(f): 6:07pm On Mar 14, 2012
dayokanu: The victims are already here.

Whining as usual

Maybe Benue is jealous of them

What is this one ranting about?
Re: Understanding Benue! by dustydee: 12:04am On Mar 15, 2012
When I see some posts on NL I wonder what they teach them in social studies these days. So much ignorance. When I was serving one girl was surprised that I was from the north and a Christian. She even looked bewildered that I could speak good english.

4 Likes

Re: Understanding Benue! by chosen04(f): 8:23am On Mar 15, 2012
dustydee: When I see some posts on NL I wonder what they teach them in social studies these days. So much ignorance. When I was serving one girl was surprised that I was from the north and a Christian. She even looked bewildered that I could speak good english.

And what is the essence of your tales by moonlight?

1 Like

Re: Understanding Benue! by captainxero: 8:30am On Mar 15, 2012
This thread actually reminds me of my nysc days!I served in taraba nd on my way 2 taraba we pass tru benue state nd normally pass a nite @ Gboko.I love benue state cos the weather is kinda diff nd d people are so accommodating! benue state is very big! Dey hav so much food nd hav d best yam in the country nd are very cheap.dey also hav sweet oranges nd mangoes!! travelling is fun tho!
And for d dude up dere the highest point in nigeria is in taraba state in sadauna local government! Gembu 2 b precise! Its also the coldest place in nigeria!cold all year round nd its a very beautiful place! Beautiful landscape nd also hav the fattest cows!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Rivers Crisis / Senators, Reps Shy Away From Asset Disclosure - Daily Trust / The Saraki Brouhaha: Buhari Might Be Setting Himself Up For Impeachment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.