Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,944 members, 7,952,811 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:23 AM

Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns (9675 Views)

NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine / Breaking News:chocola Royal Is Sealed By Nafdac / Contaminated Caprisonne Juice Is In Circulation - Beware (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by mukina2: 4:13pm On Mar 07, 2012
[img]http://premiumtimesng.com/thumbnail.php?file=st._louis_sugar_4800_p_253339513.jpg&size=article_large[/img]

The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) on Tuesday in Ibadan alerted Nigerians of a fake brand of sugar in circulation.

Omosola Osinbanjo, the Zonal Coordinator for Oyo State, said the discovery of the fake sugar followed the intensive surveillance exercise carried out across the state by officials of the agency.

Mrs. Osinbanjo said the initiatives of NAFDAC led to the discovery of the fake product at a market in Agbeni area of the metropolis.

She said the agency’s officials had stormed the area following reports of the production of fake St. Louis sugar brand being passed on to unsuspecting members of the public as fortified sugar.

Also speaking, Benjamin Haruna, the state’s head of the agency and leader of the team which conducted the operation, explained that the exercise was routine.

“We had a tip off that some people were bringing in sugar that was not fortified and did not carry the logo for certification.
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/4100-fake_sugar_in_circulation_nafdac_warns.html
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by stepo707: 4:34pm On Mar 07, 2012
Na wa o! which way naija?
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by xtremeidea(m): 4:35pm On Mar 07, 2012
[size=18pt]N A I J A, cnt we just care about ourselves for once? [/size]
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by Walexsammy(m): 4:43pm On Mar 07, 2012
Another man work, another man Chop, 9ja i hail thee.Why can't dis pple channel their man power to a legalise biz, Geez
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by Nobody: 4:44pm On Mar 07, 2012
Direct intake of sugar is bad anyway
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by wesley80(m): 5:12pm On Mar 07, 2012
Is there any other brand of sugar available in the market? Whoever owns this st louis must be making a killing, this brand of sugar seem to have had a semi monopoly ever since i can remember, they havent even bothered to change the packing over a period of close to 30years (i stand corrected) I cant recall how many times i've had to chase out those smelly tiny nimble ants from those blue packs that are always inadequate in doing the one thing they ought to do best; keeping ants out. I hope this forgery wakes whoever are the owners up, some innovation is overdue.
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by GudLion(m): 5:24pm On Mar 07, 2012
I suspect foul play; this could be a marketing gimmick of competitors, Cos honestly its like the brand has monopolized d mkt for ages.
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by hbrednic: 5:42pm On Mar 07, 2012
wesley80:

Is there any other brand of sugar available in the market? Whoever owns this st louis must be making a killing, this brand of sugar seem to have had a semi monopoly ever since i can remember, they havent even bothered to change the packing over a period of close to 30years (i stand corrected) I cant recall how many times i've had to chase out those smelly tiny nimble ants from those blue packs that are always inadequate in doing the one thing they ought to do best; keeping ants out. I hope this forgery wakes whoever are the owners up, some innovation is overdue.
st louis is a french company.
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by gentlegg(m): 5:50pm On Mar 07, 2012
who is the owner of this st Louis self? Ever since i become a Nigerian, it has always been st louis with same carton design and packaging, no iota of change.
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by Nobody: 6:01pm On Mar 07, 2012
Is it Aba made or made in china ?
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by kristiansmart: 6:13pm On Mar 07, 2012
Thanks for your reply.[img]http://www.lzxin.info/g.php[/img]
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by ifedun2: 6:35pm On Mar 07, 2012
This na serious matter o!Sugar!Naija!
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by nagoma(m): 7:48pm On Mar 07, 2012
What really is fake sugar? Does it have a sweet taste? Is it made from sugar cane ? Is it brown or bleached white? what is meant by fortification? What is the packaging like? Is it really fake or simply unregistered?Is it a polysaccharide or monosaccharide ? What is the basic molecule? Is it sucrose , lactose, fructose or mannose? What are the dangers of consuming it ?
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by ijigbamigb(m): 8:11pm On Mar 07, 2012
why cant they just make their brand to compete with st louis , maybe 'chigozie sugar' or 'ade sugar' or something, abi?
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by crackhouse(m): 8:14pm On Mar 07, 2012
ijigbamigb:

why cant they just make their brand to compete with st louis , maybe 'chigozie sugar' or 'ade sugar' or something, abi?
i would prefer st. Moritz sugar instead of chigozie or Ade sugar.
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by Nobody: 8:27pm On Mar 07, 2012
I thought it would have been wise if they had actually either post both packs; the fake and the real or tell the general public at least what to look out in differentiating the fake from the real.

NAFDAC u na deserve koboko this time around.
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by rman: 8:40pm On Mar 07, 2012
I thought as much!
The last on I bought ( currently in my refrigerator) is so stale and no matter how many cubes I put in my tea or garri it has no sweetening effect at all.
Been wondering if it was fake and this just confirms it.

O ga o!
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by sylve11: 8:46pm On Mar 07, 2012
xtremeidea:

[size=18pt]N A I J A, cnt we just care about ourselves for once? [/size]

ijigbamigb:

lol!

grin cool
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by Nobody: 8:52pm On Mar 07, 2012
For d DIFFERENCES btw d two, its very simple but u must watch out too. D original pack has d 'Vitamin A' eye logo on it while d fake one doesn't av it. Besides this difference, both ar d same outside, dnt knw of d content.
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by Nobody: 8:57pm On Mar 07, 2012
rman:

I thought as much!
The last on I bought ( currently in my refrigerator) is so stale and no matter how many cubes I put in my tea or garri it has no sweetening effect at all.
Been wondering if it was fake and this just confirms it.

O ga o!
My dear, jst check if it has d Vitamin A Eye Logo written on d pack, if not, i fear u've got d fake one o
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by bakila: 9:11pm On Mar 07, 2012
Thanks
chindi:

My dear, jst check if it has d Vitamin A Eye Logo written on d pack, if not, i fear u've got d fake one o
Come to think of it there a sugar company produce golden brown nature sugar from cane.
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by kokoye(m): 9:13pm On Mar 07, 2012
chindi:

So . .are you saying the fakers cant add the "Vitamin A Eye Logo" to the pack . . easily?

If they can make the sugar and the pack, i'm willing to bet they can write anything in it wink

My point is - once they realise they left something out, they will fix their mistake and give you what you want - "Vitamin A Eye Logo" grin

1 Like

Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by ovd: 9:19pm On Mar 07, 2012
I wonder y ppl wil decide to make money in detriment to other ppls life
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by babaowo: 9:43pm On Mar 07, 2012
Na only sugar? Wot about many fakes drugs in circulations Na today
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by Nobody: 10:28pm On Mar 07, 2012
I thought Dangote was the only seller of Sugar in Nigeria!! Don't Nigerians perennially complain that only one man is allowed to import sugar into the country? Where did St. Louis sugar come from? A product that has been imported into Nigeria for decades.

If st. Louis isn't a monopoly, how come it has refused to improve its product, packaging and value all these years? It wouldn't remain the same over decades if it had competitors. So accusers of Dangote sugar as a monopoly have been proved to be bitter liars.
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by purefella(m): 10:34pm On Mar 07, 2012
I am not against people trying to obtain by trick but when it comes to the one that can take other people's live that is murderer and anybody caught in the act should be hang , giving people fake sugar or other fake products like fake pills that can kill their organs is totally wrong and bad!!!
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by rman: 6:48am On Mar 08, 2012
chindi:

Mine has no vitamin A eye logo, ny suspicion is confirmed. Thanks.
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by Stallion84(m): 9:27am On Mar 08, 2012
Just as it was rightly said in one of the post, St Loius sugar has had the monopoly over the years.the people in charge of its importation must be in dre billions now. Think of it, there is no other brand that we know of. Except 'Tate' that I saw in the northern area of Nigeria in lil qty. Now if there is the chance to produce a new brand of cube sugar, why dont u come out with ur  wn name and compete with what is on ground. Nigerians, we just don't act right.n
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by tpia5: 11:52am On Mar 08, 2012
Do they mean fake as in dangerous or fake as in imitation?

Should one assume they mean dangerous ?
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by Marlboro1: 11:06pm On Mar 08, 2012
do we still have nafdac? i thought they ceased to exist after dora akunyili left. what has the replacement fellow been doing anyway?
Re: Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns by cynthiafred67(f): 11:32am On Mar 09, 2012
Even sugar? Choi na wah 4 nija oo

(1) (Reply)

Jollof Rice With Chicken For 300 People / Intercontinental Dishes And Recipe / Why Do We Eat Chicken On Christmas Day?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.