Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,408 members, 7,954,622 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:56 AM

Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens (4133 Views)

Fuel Crisis Worsens As Motorists Struggle To Get Fuel In Abuja / Nigeria Economic Crisis Worsens - BBC / Senate Leadership Crisis Worsens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by Beaf: 7:45pm On Mar 07, 2012
[size=14pt]Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens [/size]
Published on March 7, 2012 by

In a manner reminiscent of a guerilla warfare, Lawanson Motor Park and its environs were engulfed in chaos and commotion this morning as two rival factions of the National Union of Road Transport Workers, NURTW, engaged each other in a supremacy battle over who controls the park.

An eyewitness told P.M.NEWS that as early as 7.30 a.m. there were sporadic gunshots leading to instant closure of shops in the area. Banks around the vicinity also closed their doors to customers.

Passersby and workers who were going to their offices scampered to safety.

It was gathered that the battle ensued between the two factions with each of them wielding dangerous weapons such as, pistols, pump action guns charms cutlasses, knives and axes.

A lady simply identified as Alimot was shot and injured and was rushed to a nearby hospital for treatment. Several others were also reported injured.

When P.M.NEWS arrived he scene, armed policemen have already taken over the scene of the battle. The Divisional Police Officer, DPO Itire Police Division, Mr. A. A. Oyekan was at the scene dishing out instructions to his men. There was more reinforcement with an armoured personnel carrier deployed there.

The Lawanson motor park was littered with broken bottles, cudgels, sticks and other weapons used in the battle.

One of the drivers who spoke with P.M.NEWS on condition of anonimity blamed the NURTW crisis on its erstwhile leader.

“Having realised he had been removed as chairman, he sent his boys to take over the park, which we resisted and we shall continue to resist,” the union member alleged.

He added that the sacked leaders tenure was too oppressive as the levy he impossed on them was too high for them to bear.

The driver said some of their members could no longer pay their children’s school fees while the majority are jobless.

After the dust had settled down, some drivers carried placards to protest the alleged intrusion of the Lawanson Motor Park by the ex-leader’s boys. They vowed to resist future attack by the invaders.

As at press time, the situation remained tense. Commuters were forced to move to a far distance to board commuter buses to their various destinations.

Meanwhile, the NURTW faction that carried out the attack were inside the Lawanson Motor Park jubilating that they had succeeded in taking over the park.

Similarly, the unending Lagos Island factional youth gang war, claimed the life of a tailor and resident of Lafiaji, identified as Daniel Adeyemi on Monday.

The incident occurred at about 9 p.m. on Monday at Sangrouse bus stop, Lagos Island, Lagos State, Southwest Nigeria.

Eyewitness told P.M.NEWS that at least 20 hoodlums armed with guns invaded Sangrose Market and the bus stop from Beecroft, Osho and other streets, shooting sporadically and firing at the victim who died instantly.

The rampaging hoodlums were said to have capitalised on the removal of Armoured Personnel Carrier, APC and policemen deployed to Sangrouse Market by the police authorities to perpetrate the dastardly act.

They were also said to have robbed shop owners and snatched hand bags of innocent people in the ensuing commotion, while scores of people sustained various injuries.

Narrating the incident to P.M.NEWS at Sangrouse, Adekunle Qudus, who claimed to be a friend of the deceased, said they were having a meal before the incident occurred.

“I and the deceased, Adeyemi, were having a meal of amala at a food joint at Sangrouse bus stop at about 9 p.m. when suddenly thugs numbering about 20 led by some people I recognised started to fire sporadically and they invaded Sangrose bus stop. They shot everywhere and one of the bullets hit my friend, on his chest and he fell to the ground.

“Before we could rush him to the hospital, he died.

“ The hoodlums,” he continued, “capitalised on the removal of the APC tank stationed at Sangrouse Market by the police on Sunday night to perpetrate the dastardly act.

They killed my friend so as to drag Lafiaji youths into the senseless crisis which have claimed innocent lives on Lagos Island.

“Nobody can force us into any meaningless crises, no matter the provocation. This is because we are civilised and nobody can fool us to do their biddings.

“We are now appealing to the government and the police to find lasting solutions to these crises before it gets out of hand. We must realise that life is sacred and people must desist from using the crises to rob and commit other vices,” he stated.

The police have returned the APC tank to Sangrouse as normalcy has returned to the troubled spot.

—Akin Kuponiyi & Paul Iyoghojie

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/03/07/shootout-at-lawanson-nurtw-crisis-worsens/
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by boneruns(m): 8:14pm On Mar 07, 2012
Touting is the only lucrative job these yoruba illiterates do in Lagos. Instead to engage themselves in reasonable artisanship, they feel the battle of who controls the finance of local motor parks and bus-stops is a task that must be done.

And this menance is gradually spreading into streets. Fashola, please call your boys to order
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by Ejine(m): 8:30pm On Mar 07, 2012
Tarantinoooooooooooo! grin cool
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by oderemo(m): 8:45pm On Mar 07, 2012
u could have made sense without being tribal, never knew u were checking out the touts tribe., anyway u don't need to go to iceland to know how cold it is.
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by Afam4eva(m): 8:51pm On Mar 07, 2012
Why can't these touts engage themselves in something useful in life instead of killing themselves.
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by Beaf: 9:36pm On Mar 07, 2012
ode remo:

u could have made sense without being tribal, never knew u were checking out the touts tribe., anyway u don't need to go to iceland to know how cold it is.

Word. cool

@topic
What is going on in Lagos? Within the last few years, ares like Mushin, Fadeyi, Onipanu, Bariga etc have become dangerous ganglands where guns and knives are badges of honour.
It is an alarming development that portends no good and sends chills through the veins of law abiding and God fearing citizens.

Who empowers these thugs?
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by islamrules(m): 9:23am On Mar 08, 2012
Fashola has already gotten his second term and he doesnt care about Lagos anymore.

This is another reason why every Nigerians deserves to have a gun. On monday while going to work, I witnessed 3 armed robbery. Lagos is back to the old days.

Hoodlums are back.

We need guns
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by monkvirus(m): 9:30am On Mar 08, 2012
i was at the scene of the incident.Those bastarDS dont even fear for the police anymore.I was just wishing thAT AT that moment of the incedent that opmessa should arrive,but it didn't happen.

The problem is that they would not kill and injure themselves but it is the innocent and armless civilians that would be killed and injured. Wat a shame. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by Okijajuju1(m): 9:42am On Mar 08, 2012
What is it with Ofemmanus and NURTW?!

Why is it so important to them?!

The government should disband that group!! angry
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by kokoA(m): 9:48am On Mar 08, 2012
Just curios, Why is it that yoruba men love this NURTW work soo much? An NURTW chiarman in a yoruba land has more power than a local government chiarman lipsrsealed
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by Nobody: 9:57am On Mar 08, 2012
kokoA:

Just curios, Why is it that yoruba men love this NURTW work soo much? An NURTW chiarman in a yoruba land has more power than a local government chiarman lipsrsealed

simple, cos It's lucrative. they make more money than LGA chairman and are useful tools in the hand of politicians, they go with the highest bidder. Gang war is all about money, power and respect. I was born and bred in mushin and they have been there all along. The only governor that was about to get rid of them then was Buba Marwa. But tinubu brought them back on the scene.
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by haboosa(m): 9:57am On Mar 08, 2012
Beaf:

Word. cool

@topic
What is going on in Lagos? Within the last few years, ares like Mushin, Fadeyi, Onipanu, Bariga etc have become dangerous ganglands where guns and knives are badges of honour.
It is an alarming development that portends no good and sends chills through the veins of law abiding and God fearing citizens.

Who empowers these thugs?
Who else do you think will be responsible for all these evil if not our good for nothing leaders, govt officials and Politicians angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by islamrules(m): 9:58am On Mar 08, 2012
Just curios,  Why is it that yoruba men love this NURTW work soo much?   An NURTW chiarman in a yoruba land has more power than a local government chiarman

Because transport business is a huge sector in south west cuz of population and market. Lagos is state is making huge out of transportion. The same thing applies to MEN/Niger deltans killing for oil.
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by kristiansmart: 10:00am On Mar 08, 2012
Instead to engage themselves in reasonable artisanship, they feel the battle of who controls the finance of local motor parks and bus-stops is a task that must be done.[img]http://www.demama.info/g.php[/img]
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by boneruns(m): 10:18am On Mar 08, 2012
Even secondary school students are dropping out from schools to engage in this lucrative business. They control money, power and illiterate girls. Jobless graduates are even joining this trade.

Funniest thing is that, they all speak the same language. Pathetic!
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by hbrednic: 11:04am On Mar 08, 2012
ship them back
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by livapul86(m): 11:24am On Mar 08, 2012
PLEASE, we need the MIlitary back in Lagos. The rate of reoccurence is becoming frightening. These BASTA.RDS nearly break my head as I dey comot early momo to go for a job interview. Which kind Lagos be dis sef? Please, its already evident that the Lagos state govt is in bed with these hoodlums, Let the FG deploy the Military. OP MESSA, WE NEED YOU GUYS.
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by Nobody: 11:25am On Mar 08, 2012
I witnessed the NURTW shootout.

It was like action film when it happened, people and businesses within the area had to close shops, offices  and lock their gates.

CASUALTIES:

An agbero that lived on aina street lawanson died of gunshots. He was shot on the leg and chest. I saw his body been taken on okada to hospital but didn't survive.

An elderly man  was also caught in the crossfire while on his way to idi araba market though I didn't see his body but I learnt he died too

Another man was shot at the back while buying food at aina street and I saw him drenched in blood but the 3 bullets were removed by some young men within the vicinity. He survived may be because he was drunk at the time.  

THE ACTORS OF THESE VIOLENCES WITHIN LAGOS ARE KNOWN BY THE POWERS IN ALAUSA & BOURDILLON BUT 'LL STOP HERE FOR NOW.
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by Afam4eva(m): 11:38am On Mar 08, 2012
Timehin:

Another man was shot at the back while buying food at aina street and I saw him drenched in blood but the 3 bullets were removed by some young men within the vicinity. He survived may be because he was drunk at the time.  

I've learned something new today.
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by Nobody: 11:51am On Mar 08, 2012
Who said Lagos is a SAFE HEAVEN, Alj "confused" Haram , Aboki Man without home where r you??
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by kufreabasi(m): 12:03pm On Mar 08, 2012
Why can't Lagos state government takes over thr smooth running of this park themselves and stop shelving it to miscrants and tout? Why do they encourage this sort of group that is always posting a thread to human's life?
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by Otunbakunle: 12:30pm On Mar 08, 2012
boneruns:

Touting is the only lucrative job these yoruba illiterates do in Lagos. Instead to engage themselves in reasonable artisanship, they feel the battle of who controls the finance of local motor parks and bus-stops is a task that must be done.

It is very silly to be silly.try and update your mentality.and stop tribalistic and racist posts on Nairaland
pls stop this silly internet mischief and hypocrisy.
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by Pukkah: 12:43pm On Mar 08, 2012
boneruns:

And this menance is gradually spreading into streets. Fashola, please call your boys to order

Read over the highlighted statement again and you'll see that it is highly fallacious and nonsensical. How can 'touting' be the only lucrative job that Yoruba illiterates do in Lagos?

@Topic, the state government needs to come down very hard on this nuisance and flush them out. Enough is enough of the violence and damage!
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by LEXYLOV: 12:59pm On Mar 08, 2012
boneruns:

And this menance is gradually spreading into streets. Fashola, please  call your boys to order
You are the most unfortunate e-goat that ever surface on this forum. I wonder which baboon give birth to you, because you are nothing than Animal. Tribalism cretin like you are miserable trouble maker.
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by elewele100: 1:14pm On Mar 08, 2012
@boneruns,you owe this forum an apology not only to the yoruba's
but to every Nigerian in here.you are the kind of people Seun need to eliminate from Nairaland
You do not just write without thinking, such only happens when you have brain size of a peanut which i guess you have. Pls fellow Nairalander, We need to get this tribalistic mentality bullshit away Nairaland is a Beautiful forum but
tribal mentality and racist posts is what is eating away nairaland every day.
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by Beaf: 1:15pm On Mar 08, 2012
LEXYLOV:

You are the most unfortunate e-goat that ever surface on this forum. I wonder which baboon give birth to you, because you are nothing than Animal. [size=14pt]Tribalism cretin like you are miserable trouble maker.[/size]

Kpuho! Kpuho!! Kpuho!!!

Damn it!

Guy, if you attempt English in England you will be summarily arrested and the key thrown away!
You really have a talent at sppppprrrrrrreaking Enggggggggrrrrrrrrrissss! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by Akanbiedu(m): 1:25pm On Mar 08, 2012
Just routine exercise
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by nku5: 1:28pm On Mar 08, 2012
At times I wonder if democracy is for us. ACN needs these thugs for election matters so in between they get hard-up for dough and voila! The ppl that give them guns should think about tomorrow o! The day I saw an nurtw guy harrassing a cop I knew that a beast had been created.what type of society breeds touts that can tell a cop, with weed dangling from his mouth that he can't be arrested
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by Beaf: 1:34pm On Mar 08, 2012
nku5:

At times I wonder if democracy is for us. ACN needs these thugs for election matters so in between they get hard-up for dough and voila! The ppl that give them guns should think about tomorrow o! The day I saw an nurtw guy harrassing a cop I knew that a beast had been created.what type of society breeds touts that can tell a cop, with weed dangling from his mouth that he can't be arrested

What?
--Beaf is speechless--
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by LEXYLOV: 2:08pm On Mar 08, 2012
Beaf:

Kpuho! Kpuho!! Kpuho!!!

Damn it!

Guy, if you attempt English in England you will be summarily arrested and the key thrown away!
You really have a talent at sppppprrrrrrreaking Enggggggggrrrrrrrrrissss! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
You that you are a professor of English why have you not received medals or ministerial appointment from your clueless retardeen uncle I perceived you might even be jobless because you always sound like a frustrating lousy idi.ot . A mentally challenged buffoon like you are just here to gain cheap recognition. I don't have your time now because your brain is like of Sheep, Goat, Ram, Turkey, phomo , fish, etc as your name undecided
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by Beaf: 2:20pm On Mar 08, 2012
LEXYLOV:

You that you are a professor of English why have you not received medals or ministerial appointment from your clueless retardeen uncle I perceived you might even be jobless because you always sound like a frustrating lousy idi.ot . A mentally challenged buffoon like you are just here to gain cheap recognition. I don't have your time now because your brain is like of Sheep, Goat, Ram, Turkey, phomo , fish, etc as your name undecided 

Lolzzzzz!

Mr Rita Kokolette. The US bera field your Ennnnnngggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriisssssssss as a weapon of mass destruction against the Taliban in Afghanistan.
With you on their side, they will win the war, cos all Taliban will immediately surrender rather than be cruelly, mercilessly, phucked up and killed with Ennnnnngggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriisssssssss!! grin grin grin grin

I de hail oooooooooo! You can use your ibon to fry eggs! grin
Re: Shootout At Lawanson: NURTW Crisis Worsens by Pukkah: 3:26pm On Mar 08, 2012
LEXYLOV:

If I were you, I would ignore the messenger and the fun he poked and concentrate on improving my skills. In life, someone somewhere gets to point out your inadequacies or weaknesses whether in a gentle or brash manner. You should simply thank or ignore him and move on while making a promise to yourself to remove the cobwebs in your writing skills.

Don't get mad. Get even by improving yourself to get better than him.

(1) (2) (Reply)

PDP Chairman Adamu Mu'azu's Daughter To Wed Abdulmutallab's Son / BREAKING NEWS: APC Files A Suit Against Mayweather / El-rufai’ Moves Against Dunamis Church In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.