Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,708 members, 7,816,912 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:01 PM

Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk - Health (2315) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk (8144622 Views)

Birth Defects: Are You Pregnant Or Planning To? What You Need To Know! (pics) / Can I Still Get Pregnant Or Do I Remove The Fibroid / Revealed: The Secret Fertility System That Cures Infertility & Get You Pregnant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2312) (2313) (2314) (2315) (2316) (2317) (2318) ... (6955) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Ijelex: 2:29pm On Sep 13, 2016
[quote author=jazzyjazz post=49319932] jumps in with big bump. Holds waist, picks up microphone and screams

lovely bumps.Welcome back to CHANGE
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by jazzyjazz: 2:51pm On Sep 13, 2016
This one is the real change cheesy
[quote author=Ijelex post=49324607][/quote]
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by jazzyjazz: 2:54pm On Sep 13, 2016
Yes oh. I had a great time. Goodies de inside freezer.
Mummytee:
welcum back darln,hope you hd fun.wheres our goodies?
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by enque(f): 3:20pm On Sep 13, 2016
Eheeeeen Donjazzy....u don give us gist finish. Wey my shokolate?

jazzyjazz:
grin grin grin

Fear de catch me someone's when I look the bump sef
Lol

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by quin9(f): 3:28pm On Sep 13, 2016
Our first time on #bumpietuesday
37wks bump
#teamoctober eyeing team September

24 Likes

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by imetsignature: 3:29pm On Sep 13, 2016
BEST WAY TO KNOW IF YOUR BABY IS FINE

4D scan allow you to see your baby as if it has been born, so that any malformations can be detected and something done about it. Also sex can be seen and is 100% accurate. The Doppler detects whether the baby's condition is fine, ie if enough blood is flowing to the baby. For example, once there is any concern about the babies health, Doppler should be done.

The conditions that can be assessed are:
1. Exact picture of the baby in colour and video like one shown here. You can have the videos recorded on flash drive to play for families. It promotes bonding as you see the baby open its mouth, suck thumb, grin, and other behaviors you never thought babies engage in. No woman ever forgets the experience, and the pictures and videos are there for life
2. Sex from 3 months
3. Any abnormality in the baby
4. Doppler of mother and baby to know if enough blood is getting to the baby. If enough blood is getting to the baby (ie if the Doppler of umbilical artery is normal), that baby cannot die in the womb in the next one week. So Doppler is the main test of fetal wellbeing worldwide now. So, whenever the doctor says that IUGR is suspected, that is poor fetal growth, then Umbilical artery Doppler must be done so that unnecessary CS is avoided. Umbilical artery Doppler was shown to have 100% specificity for predicting foetal outcome, See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23457860 . What this means is that once the Doppler scan of your babies umbilical artery shows that blood is flowing to your baby, it means that in all of such cases the baby will be okay.
So, if your baby is not kicking fine, or you have any illness that you think might have affected your baby, or the doctor/nurse says your baby is not growing well etc, go straight for umbilical artery doppler ultrasound.

5. Prediction of outcomes of pregnancy. Eg MCA Doppler if woman is Rhesus negative, Uterine artery Doppler to know if the woman will develop Hypertension in pregnancy, so that low dose aspirin can be started to prevent it
6. Nuchal translucency to detect if baby has chromosomal anomaly eg Down syndrome
7. Infertility scan, such as sonoHSG to replace X-Ray HSG, Follicular monitoring etc

Essentially it performs all the required scan to ensure that the woman sees and interpret the findings herself.

4D ultrasound allows the pregnant woman to see her baby's overall body so that if there is any abnormality, it can be detected on time and the woman can see for herself. Gone are the days when an ultrasound scan will say one thing and the woman or the doctor is not convinced

follow our page with the link below:

https://www.facebook.com/4D-Ultrasound-Doppler-Scan-For-Pregnant-Mothers-1685505391770591/?ref=bookmarks

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by jazzyjazz: 3:36pm On Sep 13, 2016
E de inside freezer
enque:
Eheeeeen Donjazzy....u don give us gist finish. Wey my shokolate?

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by princessKF(f): 4:25pm On Sep 13, 2016
@quin9, jaZzyjazz and mummyife... Cute bump u've all got.
@my muslim sisters where is my sallah meat
Cc mummy zaynie
@tallgirlslim.. congratulations, God bless ur LO
@november mamas, e ku waddling... God is our strength.
We r 33wks My bump has drop o and BH is now frequent. Yesterday I had a very strong contraction I was so scared I had to beg LO to pls wait till october.
@fruitfulhome.... welcome, I wish you Happy and healthy nine months.

3 Likes

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by haryourlar: 4:36pm On Sep 13, 2016
enque:
Where do u stay? I got it today for 2200

Sorry for getting back late just logging in now. I stay in osogbo osun state, thanks mama
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by sugah: 4:41pm On Sep 13, 2016
Tallgirlslim:
I Don get alert!

Prince Charming arrived yesterday morning 3.1 kg. Mother and son are doing great.
Congrats dear
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by iomoge2(f): 4:46pm On Sep 13, 2016
Graciouscharis:

I'll try to explain what Jaundice is all about and what leads to it.
The human body constantly produces blood(red, white and platelets), the old blood cells is broken into different particles and excreted by the body. The human liver breaks the red blood cells into bilirubin which is excreted by the body. The bilirubin is yellowish in color.
The baby removes the bilirubin while in the womb via the placenta i.e. The mothers liver does the breaking down of the bilirubin and excretes it for the baby. Once a baby is born it's liver is supposed to take up the job but sometimes the liver may not be matured enough or slow to carry out the job which will now cause a build up of bilirubin in the blood stream.
If there's too much bilirubin in the blood stream, the body may circulate it to the brain and this will cause a yellowish stain in the brain. It mostly attacks the left cerebrum.
The build up of the bilirubin is called jaundice and yes it can happen to adults too.
The phototherapy the baby undergoes is to help the liver break down the bilirubin so the body can excrete it.
Look at these facts:
1. No two babies develop the same. Every baby is born with a level of bilirubin in its bloodstream.
2. It's an irony that babies react differently to jaundice. A 10mg level can be fatal in one baby while another baby will walk over it.
3. Malaria doesn't cause jaundice.
4. You can't deduce the level of jaundice by mere looking at the baby. It's safer for your baby to get tested and receive treatment immediately.
5. Antibiotics cannot be used to cure jaundice.

We may not be able to prevent jaundice but we can reduce or minimize its effect on babies by taking our prenatal pills religiously and drinking plenty water while pregnant.
Build up of drugs inhibit the functioning of the liver including ordinary paracetamol. Taking enough water especially while on drugs helps to remove the toxins from the drugs and helps the liver to function better.
Eat well, drink plenty water and pray.

Ok. I don tire. I may modify this to add more things later.

Thank you so much.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by chizeal(f): 4:46pm On Sep 13, 2016
Congrats on d birth of ur prince charming tallgirlslim,

Congrats ND hapi bumping fruitfulhome..

Cutie bump everywhere, kip eyeing us team September @" quin9 kiss..
Easy delivery to d rest of us September mamas. It Wil surely end in praise oo, backache ND leg ache is real oo, e no easy.

With God all tins are possible.... Ye ye!!
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by chizeal(f): 4:52pm On Sep 13, 2016
Hmmm, information is power.

Was told malaria causes jaundice oo, especially wen not treated. In fact was told over ND over again, had to take my drugs wen given in d clinic to avoid it.

I hav a friend dat used local methods to cure her twin of jaundice, jst asked her now, waiting for her response, den Wil relate it wif u mama liftedhands.

Tnks Graciiuscharis

Dis sallah holiday has slowed d pages on dis thread. Hmm, mak una giv me meat na grin
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Liftedhands(f): 4:55pm On Sep 13, 2016
Adding to what graciouscharis wrote, Jaundice could manifest as pathologycal or physiological.

Both can be fatal but pathologycal fatality rate is higher than physiological.

Physiological hyperbilirubinemia is a build-up of bilirubin due to the normal breakdown of red blood cells that were needed for fetal circulation before birth and discarded afterward. Normally, the liver processes the bilirubin and converts it to a form that can be excreted in poo. In a newborn, the immature liver is just very "young" to function on its own outside the womb.

The imbalance of an overabundance of bilirubin to process and a liver that is not mature enough allows the yellow pigment from broken down red blood cells to accumulate in the blood and give the skin and whites of the eyes the yellow tone we call jaundice.

Pathological hyperbilirubinemia is related to a condition other than normal newborn bilirubin being processed slowly by an immature liver. Such conditions include an incompatibility between the baby's and the mother's blood types, incompatibility of additional blood factors, or liver problems. This type might require more aggressive and lengthier intervention than physiological bilirubin problems.

Physiological jaundice coupled with risk factors--small baby, multiples, exclusive breastfeeding, poor feeding and a few others--can cause the serum bilirubin level to reach high risk levels and make the use of bili lights and bili blankets necessary. But generally speaking, pathological bilirubin levels reach higher levels faster and take a longer time to come down.

In both conditions, if the numbers reach high enough levels(15-20mg/dl)it may require one or more blood transfusions, although transfusion is most likely with pathological jaundice.

Physiological manifest 2-3 days after birth whilst pathologycal shows less than 24 hours after birth.

In summary all babies are born with the risk of jaundice but some factors aggravate with it.

We noticed hers some days after which may have been brought on by poor feeding, thing is we thought her baby was getting enough milk all the time she spent on the breast(ebf) not knowing that milk wasn't enough to make her poo thus causing the bilirubin to accumulate.
It's not until she started pumping that we realised the milk was small and I had to donate breast milk yesterday which filled the baby up faster, thus reducing the time she was out of the phototherapy(bili) light to make the liver work better in breaking down the bilirubin.

Today it's down to 10mg(Thank God).

She is still under observation and hasn't been discharged naming might be done at the hospital tomorrow undecided

Cc iomoge.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Liftedhands(f): 5:00pm On Sep 13, 2016
chizeal:

Was told malaria causes jaundice oo, especially wen not treated. In fact was told over ND over again, had to take my drugs wen given in d clinic to avoid it.

I hav a friend dat used local methods to cure her twin of jaundice, jst asked her now, waiting for her response, den Wil relate it wif u mama liftedh.ands.

Tnks Graciius.charis

Dis sallah holiday has slowed d pages on dis thread. Hmm, mak una giv me meat na grin
My sisters mil wanted to offer her unripe pawpaw water she swears by it but my sister and her DH no gree. Thanks dear the jaundice is now under control and reducing.

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Rukkington(f): 5:20pm On Sep 13, 2016
Thanks graciouscharis and liftedhands for the enlightening information. I av learnt a lot
May God heal the baby soonest

2 Likes

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by lolaymary(f): 5:24pm On Sep 13, 2016
how true is the drinking of unripe pawpaw water during preg to prevent jaundice
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Graciouscharis: 5:47pm On Sep 13, 2016
Liftedhands:
My sisters mil wanted to offer her unripe pawpaw water she swears by it but my sister and her DH no gree. Thanks dear the jaundice is now under control and reducing.

Thank God she's much better now. I've heard some horrible stories about all these local treatment. It has killed a lot of babies and some ends up with severe kerinicterus. I ripe pawpaw, scent leaves and all those Agbo are trial and error methods. It's just like gambling with the life of your baby.

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Graciouscharis: 5:48pm On Sep 13, 2016
lolaymary:
how true is the drinking of unripe pawpaw water during preg to prevent jaundice

The question is, does unripe pawpaw water mature the liver?

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by iomoge2(f): 5:51pm On Sep 13, 2016
Liftedhands:
Adding to what graciouscharis wrote, Jaundice could manifest as pathologycal or physiological.
Both can be fatal but pathologycal fatality rate is higher than physiological.
Physiological hyperbilirubinemia is a build-up of bilirubin due to the normal breakdown of red blood cells that were needed for fetal circulation before birth and discarded afterward. Normally, the liver processes the bilirubin and converts it to a form that can be excreted in poo. In a newborn, the immature liver is just very "young" to function on its own outside the womb.
The imbalance of an overabundance of bilirubin to process and a liver that is not mature enough allows the yellow pigment from broken down red blood cells to accumulate in the blood and give the skin and whites of the eyes the yellow tone we call jaundice.
Pathological hyperbilirubinemia is related to a condition other than normal newborn bilirubin being processed slowly by an immature liver. Such conditions include an incompatibility between the baby's and the mother's blood types, incompatibility of additional blood factors, or liver problems. This type might require more aggressive and lengthier intervention than physiological bilirubin problems.
Physiological jaundice coupled with risk factors--small baby, multiples, exclusive breastfeeding, poor feeding and a few others--can cause the serum bilirubin level to reach high risk levels and make the use of bili lights and bili blankets necessary. But generally speaking, pathological bilirubin levels reach higher levels faster and take a longer time to come down.
In both conditions, if the numbers reach high enough levels(15-20mg/dl)it may require one or more blood transfusions, although transfusion is most likely with pathological jaundice.
Physiological manifest 2-3 days after birth whilst pathologycal shows less than 24 hours after birth.
In summary all babies are born with the risk of jaundice but some factors aggravate with it.
We noticed hers some days after which may have been brought on by poor feeding, thing is we thought her baby was getting enough milk all the time she spent on the breast(ebf) not knowing that milk wasn't enough to make her poo thus causing the bilirubin to accumulate.
It's not until she started pumping that we realised the milk was small
Cc iomoge.

Wao... thank u 4 this.

Thank God baby is doing well now.
God would heal her.

Naming can be done at the hospital then party done with dedication.

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by iomoge2(f): 5:52pm On Sep 13, 2016
quin9:
Our first time on #bumpietuesday
37wks bump
#teamoctober eyeing team September

See small bump.
Looking like 32weeks..

Mummyife too.
Your bumps are cute o

Cho.
Mine is like trailer at 32w6d
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by gurlnext2u: 6:01pm On Sep 13, 2016
Yay!! Congrats teamie!! God bless you and your LO.
#TeamSeptemberdroppingitlikeitshot
God is good.
Tallgirlslim:
I Don get alert!

Prince Charming arrived yesterday morning 3.1 kg. Mother and son are doing great.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by tatacherie: 6:02pm On Sep 13, 2016
Gudpm all,been a while,@ oni'zino ahnie Im fine tnx,I'm back.will try n reply all ur mentions.i missed dis lively family.luv y'all
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by lolaymary(f): 6:12pm On Sep 13, 2016
Graciouscharis:

The question is, does unripe pawpaw water mature the liver?
thanks 4 dat, can u pls enlighten me more abt it
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by realdentist(f): 6:12pm On Sep 13, 2016
thank u liftedhands and graciouscharis

welcome back jazzyjazz. I can see I'm not d only one who's going to have a biiig bump
#changebeginswithyou

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by Graciouscharis: 6:22pm On Sep 13, 2016
chizeal:

I hav a friend dat used local methods to cure her twin of jaundice, jst asked her now, waiting for her response, den Wil relate it wif u mama liftedhands.

Tnks Graciiuscharis

Malaria is not good for a pregnant woman. It can make one anaemic and weakens your body. Taking the drugs when you don't take enough water is also dangerous. I took malaria treatment immediately I found out I was pregnant, was on this Sunday medicine throughout my pregnancy and slept inside an insecticide treated net but my baby still had jaundice. I'm just trying to say that it has not been established that it causes jaundice. You may need to read what lifted hands wrote.

Using these local herbs is like a gamble. You can't decode the level of jaundice by merely looking at the baby. What if the cause of the jaundice is not physiological? A lot of treatment for treatment of jaundice in Nigeria is just trial and error.
If you take a trip to Island maternity, you will weep for these children. It's inside Lagos island and a lot of the mothers there depend only on Agbo so by the time they bring in those babies for medical attention after days of pumping them with unripe pawpaw water and bathing them with Agbo, some of them will die and some will be disabled for life.
It's just that in Nigeria, parents with special needs children mostly lock them up in the rooms away from the public.
Some of the children you see that develop hearing loss or sight issues at a tender age are as a result of poor handling of jaundice.
I hope to share my story before weekend so that people can learn from it.

4 Likes

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by olatebony(f): 6:45pm On Sep 13, 2016
Thank God she is getting better.
Liftedhands:

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by simababe(f): 6:51pm On Sep 13, 2016
Liftedhands:

My step mum swears by it. I know people that used it and it helped but ds own was physiological jaundice so he wasn't treated cos it went away on its own since they noticed the point was reducing. In all may God watch over our kids for us.

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by iomoge2(f): 6:53pm On Sep 13, 2016
Join me, myself n my bump...
We having iceblock meal. grin

Pix taken down.

15 Likes

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by raptor2: 6:53pm On Sep 13, 2016
[quote author=Liftedhands post=49307003]Where all the mamas on this thread? Almost three hours since the last post

My niece has finally poopoo(massive and smells horrible cheesy) jaundice is now @12mg hoping for it to

Thank God the jaundice is dropping. From my experience with my miracle baby. My mum was always given her glucose water to make her poo poo and this helps a lot. Because the more poo poo the more the jaundice reduces. When we were discharged mummy continued with pawpaw water. Using it to bath her and l would drink it so she can suck it from the breast milk.

Do not worry the baby is healed. She coming out strong.

1 Like

Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by fruitfulhome: 6:54pm On Sep 13, 2016
thanks all for the warm welcome. My dues dey transit.
Re: Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk by raptor2: 6:55pm On Sep 13, 2016
Where are my Teamie.....
Team JULY where una dey oooio
@ Mitchyy
@ Fortius you still dey vex
@ olatenbony

(1) (2) (3) ... (2312) (2313) (2314) (2315) (2316) (2317) (2318) ... (6955) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.