Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,814 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? (6464 Views)

How Some Private Hospitals Mistreat Patients / Check In For Your Weight Management Products And Consultations / Doctor On Board-free Consultations From A Team Of Best Infertility Experts !!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by onyxo76(m): 9:26am On Mar 09, 2012
I have had my fair share of medical practice involving nasty patients, but what i can't stand is the obvious misleading information that they render most times.
Major culprits are women who never want to tell you anything useful even their age! a woman came to complain of menstrual irregularity and when asked her age, she declared 38 years! when she is over 48 years! why all these when they come for infertility cases they always start by telling that "my menses is becoming black" instead of saying that i need more children. when you ask when a certain patient when a symptom started,its always 3 days even when your clinical judgement tells you 2 weeks!! and you will see them swearing god of ogun etc.
Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by naijachikky: 1:07pm On Mar 09, 2012
hey, please, this reply has nothing to do with ur forum.
But please how can someone post a Topic on nairaland?
Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by swtchicgurl: 1:11pm On Mar 09, 2012
^^^^ just go the section you want and click on 'new topic'

after typing in the body and topic, then u can post! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by Akwasi(m): 1:15pm On Mar 09, 2012
I guess some feel embarrassed
Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by Jemibee: 1:16pm On Mar 09, 2012
U got me laughing with the Swearing by ogun part, lol
Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by achi4u(m): 1:24pm On Mar 09, 2012
Fear of the unkwon.
Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by thorpido(m): 1:32pm On Mar 09, 2012
Like lying about having had a D&C before.They think it's the doctor who has something to lose.
Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by Ninapha(f): 1:34pm On Mar 09, 2012
official age factor.  so that you wont go and tell her employer her real age and force her to retire grin or stop her from painting her face and wearing show -me-your- waist cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by benvivi: 1:34pm On Mar 09, 2012
they lie becos most doctors are living mortuaries they say tins without any atom of feelings for their patience, d way it was not easy to tell ur parents when u started sleeping with a woman dats d same way they find it difficult to tell u d truth. some dont want d embarrassment, imagine d kind of try and error diagnosis they give to some people  without thorough investigation. TELL A DOCTOR U VE BEEN HAVING FEVER FOR SOME DAYS THEN U ARE IN FOR RVS . about women lying about their age my dear is every where in my own profession i ve seen worse cases of age reduction both male and female gender but women are experts. the way the doctors interrogate their patients u will think that u are with a homicide investigator trying to bring u in for questioning.
Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Mar 09, 2012
onyxo76:

I have had my fair share of medical practice involving nasty patients, but what i can't stand is the obvious misleading information that they render most times.
Major culprits are women who never want to tell you anything useful even their age! a woman came to complain of menstrual irregularity and when asked her age, she declared 38 years! when she is over 48 years! why all these when they come for infertility cases they always start by telling that "my menses is becoming black" instead of saying that i need more children. when you ask when a certain patient when a symptom started,its always 3 days even when your clinical judgement tells you 2 weeks!! and you will see them swearing god of ogun etc.

God bless U for this thread. A doctor was telling me about how women r brought bleeding from some botched abortion and instead of giving information on the quack they'll be swearing (even at the point of death)that they are virgins and they're not pregnant, and they've never been straffed etc. Lawd have mercy  angry
Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Mar 09, 2012
benvivi:

they lie becos most doctors are living mortuaries they say tins without any atom of feelings for their patience, d way it was not easy to tell ur parents when u started sleeping with a woman dats d same way they find it difficult to tell u d truth. some dont want d embarrassment, imagine d kind of try and error diagnosis they give to some people  without thorough investigation. TELL A DOCTOR U VE BEEN HAVING FEVER FOR SOME DAYS THEN U ARE IN FOR RVS . about women lying about their age my dear is every where in my own profession i ve seen worse cases of age reduction both male and female gender but women are experts. the way the doctors interrogate their patients u will think that u are with a homicide investigator trying to bring u in for questioning.

Homie that information is meant to help them (the patients) and make the doctor's work easier. The more open you are the better no shame. but if as a patient u feel the doctor is a killer or a judge then you shouldnt bother seeking his services. abi how u c am?
Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by koolJ1(f): 1:47pm On Mar 09, 2012
Every profession has got its fair share of heartaches. In dis case,ignorance is a killing factor. How can treatment be administered based on falseties?
Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by doofanc: 1:59pm On Mar 09, 2012
Isn't there something in western countries about the patients right to withold info from the doc as he/she wishes?

I remember watching something like that on boston legal
Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by GWslim(f): 2:08pm On Mar 09, 2012
From experience, doctor presentation matter most in patient confession.
Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by Yeske2(m): 2:33pm On Mar 09, 2012
Some patients don't know it's for their own good to be truthful, had this guy rushed into the clinic some months back profusely bleeding from the a.n.us. While clerking and examining him, i observed a rectal wall tear, no heamorrhoids but all his friend(partner i guess ) could say was that he fell off a bike, asked if he landed on any sharp object answer was no. Imagine falling off a moving bike with no external injury, briuse or fracture but a deep rectal wall laceration.
Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by gempo(m): 2:34pm On Mar 09, 2012
Am just sorry for any patient that doesn't say the truth when questioned. For Christ sake it is your health or life on the line. Nawah for some people.
Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by ifedun2: 2:46pm On Mar 09, 2012
Ignorance or Stupidity or both.
Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by Outstrip(f): 3:26pm On Mar 09, 2012
Tell them how stuopid they are. It is just sheer ignorance. There is no other word for it. How can you go to doctor and lie about the duration of your symptoms or your age. Foolishness
Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by emmalexabl(m): 3:38pm On Mar 09, 2012
Frm her symptoms and LMP, i suspected pregnancy and the pregnancy test came out positive and teenage girl was swearing she is still virgin. . .virgin ko, mary ni. .
Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by eledalo: 3:44pm On Mar 09, 2012
Yeske!:

had this guy rushed into the clinic some months back profusely bleeding from the a.n.us. While clerking and examining him, i observed a rectal wall tear, no heamorrhoids but all his friend(partner i guess ) could say was that he fell off a bike.
ROFLMAO fell of a bike straight on top of a hard phallus!
Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by elampiro(m): 3:49pm On Mar 09, 2012
So patients tell lies to doctors. Na wao.
Anyway, may be the doctor should make them comfortable and feel at home, gradually they will open up.

In the Catholic church, there is what we call confession. Where we go and confess our sins to the priests. It is the friendly disposition of the priests that makes the person going to confess to relax and tell everything. So there is something to be learnt there.
Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by Nobody: 4:11pm On Mar 09, 2012
Yeske!:

Some patients don't know it's for their own good to be truthful, had this guy rushed into the clinic some months back profusely bleeding from the a.n.us. While clerking and examining him, i observed a rectal wall tear, no heamorrhoids but all his friend(partner i guess ) could say was that he fell off a bike, asked if he landed on any sharp object answer was no. Imagine falling off a moving bike with no external injury, briuse or fracture but a deep rectal wall laceration.
Lol, bloody gays trying to cover up their dirty acts. What if that fool had lost his life there? What a shameful way to die!
Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by mcnepow(m): 5:50pm On Mar 09, 2012

. . all his friend(partner i guess ) could say was that he fell off a bike, asked if he landed on any sharp object answer was no. Imagine falling off a moving bike with no external injury, briuse or fracture but a deep rectal wall laceration.

hahahaha! laff don kill my phone bat3!
Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by Yeske2(m): 5:55pm On Mar 09, 2012
blogger1.0:

Lol, bloody gays trying to cover up their dirty acts. What if that fool had lost his life there? What a shameful way to die!
eledalo:

mcnepow:

.hahahaha! laff don kill my phone bat3!
You could all imagine the callousness.
Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by lepasharon(f): 7:00pm On Mar 09, 2012
Babzilla:

God bless U for this thread. A doctor was telling me about how women r brought bleeding from some botched abortion and instead of giving information on the quack they'll be swearing (even at the point of death)that they are virgins and they're not pregnant, and they've never been straffed etc. Lawd have mercy  angry

Whatt!? shocked shocked how do u expect to get away with a lie like that?! shocked shocked
Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by propofol: 7:10pm On Mar 09, 2012
patients lie because
1, they are afraid
2.they are uneducated because they dont know that giving the correct info may actually save their life.
3.they do not want to be condemned; so medical staff can be quite condescending. angry angry angry
4. apart from hospitals they also consult their pastors, imams and babalawos ; so there is a conflict of interest, and most pts are confused
5.medical care is expensive so they wont give you all the information you need so that they wont be charged for more tests and drugs.

1 Like

Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by Leopantro: 8:23pm On Mar 09, 2012
the way
the doctors interrogate their
patients u will think that u are
with a homicide investigator
trying to bring u in for
questioning.

Lolz. I love that statement because I also do y
that. It doesn't give them time to compose or maintain a lie.the greatest mistake is to ask do you drink alcohol? they would swear by their late mother ( who most times would be in the market) that they stopped drinking last month. I simply ask how many bottles of small stout do you drink and do you was your month with sapele water in the morning. you will be amazed by what you hear. if they say one or two bottles,I'm hearing four to five bottles
Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by saibuhari(m): 8:30pm On Mar 09, 2012
There are four people on earth you must not lie to: Your priest during confession, your lawyer and your doctor. Any attempt to withhold the truth from any of these people is at your own peril.
Re: Why Patients Lie During Medical Consultations? by shoboy9: 8:41pm On Mar 09, 2012
Some things are lies, others require understanding. But everything is part of the training and part of the interview process. A woman looking for a child who lowers her age might do so because she already fears the worst - that she'll be told there is no hope. Remember that medicine is about holistic care- its not just subfertility we're dealing with but also the patient psychological state as well.

And what if a woman says her baby just became ill yesterday when its obvious its been much longer? There may be many causes. Is she trying to avoid admission and consequent high bills? In that case, the physician approach should take such concerns into account when drawing up a management plan. Or is she avoiding blame? Some gentle admonition may make her a better mother and patient.

We live with these people and their problems. We can only do our best and pray God help them.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Testimony On How God Is Changing Lives With Swissgarde Products / Any Cardiologist In House? Pls I Need Your Help / NGO Marks 2023 World Heart Day With Donation Of Relief Items To Hospitals In FCT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.