Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,732 members, 7,820,534 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:36 PM

Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians (8604 Views)

Withdraw From Saraki’s Trial, Eminent Lawyers Advise Umar / Southerners Erroneously Think The North Is Dependent On The South - Ben Bruce / Obasanjo Returns $200 Million To National Treasury. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians by Dede1(m): 9:45pm On Mar 10, 2012
gidiMonsta:

Apart from selling spare parts, importing knock off products, armed robbery, kidnapping, ritual killings and drug trafficking in what way has the eastern region surpassed the west?

Are you talking about the same religion of the Saudis, Jordanians, Omanis, Qataris, Emiratis, Malaysians and Indonesians? How come its a problem here and not there? If truly it is, then Christianity is also the reason why people like Ibori steal N4tr?

After reading your post, I concluded you are a lazy bigot. If eastern region had surpassed western region in the following fields such as selling spare parts, importing knock off products, armed robbery, kidnapping, ritual killings and drug trafficking, the human endeavors I alluded in my post is completed.

Did you also expect eastern region to take your ugly girls before you realize how far back you lacked? Eastern region could want few things from western region but your scared-faced-girls are certainly not one of them. grin grin

There are different approaches to religious doctrines. I guess the northern region of Nigeria adopted the backward phase of Islam.
Re: Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians by gidiMonsta(m): 9:55pm On Mar 10, 2012
Dede1:

Reading your post, I concluded you are a lazy bigot. If eastern region had surpassed in western region in the following fields such as selling spare parts, importing knock off products, armed robbery, kidnapping, ritual killings and drug trafficking, the human endeavors I alluded in my post is completed. Did you expect eastern region to take your ugly girls before you realize how far back you lacked? Eastern region could want few things from western region but your scared-faced-girls are certainly not one of them. grin grin

There are different approaches to religious doctrines. I guess the northern region of Nigeria adopted the backward phase of Islam.

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs. That my broda I'm not. On the other hand, from your posts on NL, I think it's safe to conclude that you have a serious problem with anybody who's not an Ibo Christian, its really really sad for you.

For God's sake what has yoruba girls got to do with a discussion about Awo? Again proving my point that you have serious issues.
Re: Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians by Dainfamous: 10:07pm On Mar 10, 2012
gidiMonsta:

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs. That my broda I'm not. On the other hand, from your posts on NL, I think it's safe to conclude that you have a serious problem with anybody who's not an Ibo Christian, its really really sad for you.

For God's sake what has yoruba girls got to do with a discussion about Awo? Again proving my point that you have serious issues.

you are the one that said eastern region selling spare parts, importing knock off products, armed robbery, kidnapping, ritual killings and drug trafficking,and your people are saints cheesy you have to make a balance argument before people takes you serious undecided undecidedwell even from statistic SE are far ahead from SW their is evidence on that, and looking at it SE people earn more per capital in businesses than civil servants we all know SW are mostly civil servants and we know how much an average salary is in Nigeria smiley smiley
Re: Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians by DaLover(m): 10:11pm On Mar 10, 2012
Da infamous:

you are the one that said eastern region selling spare parts, importing knock off products, armed robbery, kidnapping, ritual killings and drug trafficking,and your people are saints cheesy you have to make a balance argument before people takes you serious undecided undecidedwell even from statistic SE are far ahead from SW their is evidence on that, and looking at it SE people earn more per capital in businesses than civil servants we all know SW are mostly civil servants and we know how much an average salary is in Nigeria smiley smiley
da famous, please cross check your fact about earning power of civil servant vs business men, remember that civil servants in nigeria earn most of their pay from perpetuating corrupt and sharp practices,
Re: Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians by Dainfamous: 10:15pm On Mar 10, 2012
DaLover:

da famous, please cross check your fact about earning power of civil servant vs business men, remember that civil servants in nigeria earn most of their pay from perpetuating corrupt and sharp practices,
same as business people,am telling you apart from oil workers and corrupt NNPC their is no way you can compare business man from civil servant different is clear richest man in Nigeria is a business man not civil servant dankote,
Re: Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians by Dede1(m): 10:34pm On Mar 10, 2012
gidiMonsta:

You are the person who got twisted out of human form about Nidgbo and have the audacity to put your prejudicial comments against them in prints by stating the specialties of Ndigbo in a manner no less than denigration.
Re: Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians by gidiMonsta(m): 10:40pm On Mar 10, 2012
Da infamous:

you are the one that said eastern region  selling spare parts, importing knock off products, armed robbery, kidnapping, ritual killings and drug trafficking,and your people are saints  cheesy you have to make a balance argument before people takes you serious  undecided undecidedwell even from statistic SE are far ahead from SW their is evidence on that,  and looking at it SE people earn more per capital in businesses than civil servants we all know SW are mostly civil servants and we know how much an average salary is in Nigeria smiley smiley

Guy this is not an imbalanced argument, its what every Nigerian knows:

Go to spare parts market, who do u see there? Ibo people (not a bad thing)
Go to Alaba, Badagry, Onitsha, Aba and other places where u buy knock offs, who do u find there selling this stuff? Ibo people
Majority of those arrested for armed robbery and drug trafficking are Ibos.
How many people have been kidnapped in the southwest?
We have heard tons of stories of young ibo men killing their family members for blood money. (happens everywhr in Naija but more rampant in the east).

I'm not saying SWners are saints and this is not an attempt to attack Ibo people but u have to admit that this is true, a lot of people in ur tribe are known to worship money.

On the issue of per capital income, it's true the Ibo's may be more successful in SME's (no evidence to back this tho) but when it comes to the big corporations and financial institutions that run this economy, the SW is still ahead. The Nigerian civil service consists mostly of Northerners with an almost equal distribution of SWners and Easterners.
Re: Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians by Dede1(m): 10:40pm On Mar 10, 2012
Da infamous:

same as business people,am telling you apart from oil workers and corrupt NNPC their is no way you can compare business man from civil servant different is clear richest man in Nigeria is a business man not civil servant dankote,

Bros, eastern region led every region in Nigeria in number of civil servants before 1967. It was the sheer number of Ndigbo in government payroll and dominance in private sectors that instigated the hatred and mythical fear of Igbo domination which led to civil war of 1967.
Re: Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians by DaLover(m): 10:55pm On Mar 10, 2012
Dede1:

Bros, eastern region led every region in Nigeria in number of civil servants before 1967. It was the sheer number of Ndigbo in government payroll and dominance in private sectors that instigated the hatred and mythical fear of Igbo domination which led to civil war of 1967.
word, i also they still are quite there is good numbers despite the tough challanges especially those from the owerri/imo axis,
Re: Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians by gidiMonsta(m): 10:57pm On Mar 10, 2012
Dede1:

You are the person who got twisted out of human form about Nidgbo and have the audacity to put your prejudicial comments against them in prints by stating the specialties of Ndigbo in a manner no less than denigration.

Prejudice (or foredeeming) is most often used to refer to preconceived judgments toward people or a person because of race, social class, ethnicity, age, disability, obesity, religion, sexual orientation, or other personal characteristics. It also means beliefs without knowledge of the facts.

Neither are my comments preconceived nor are they without knowledge of the facts. There are certain vices that are associated with certain tribes which doesn't necessarily mean everyone from that tribe is like that. It is not an attempt to denigrate or insult any tribe, doing that is totally against my philosophy and beliefs.

I actually admire the Ibo's for their resourcefulness and savvy but that doesn't take away the fact that there are some bad eggs amongst them just like in every other tribe.
Re: Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians by DaLover(m): 11:02pm On Mar 10, 2012
gidiMonsta:

Guy this is not an imbalanced argument, its what every Nigerian knows:

Go to spare parts market, who do u see there? Ibo people (not a bad thing)
Go to Alaba, Badagry, Onitsha, Aba and other places where u buy knock offs, who do u find there selling this stuff? Ibo people
Majority of those arrested for armed robbery and drug trafficking are Ibos.
How many people have been kidnapped in the southwest?
We have heard tons of stories of young ibo men killing their family members for blood money. (happens everywhr in Naija but more rampant in the east).

I'm not saying SWners are saints and this is not an attempt to attack Ibo people but u have to admit that this is true, a lot of people in ur tribe are known to worship money.

On the issue of per capital income, it's true the Ibo's may be more successful in SME's (no evidence to back this tho) but when it comes to the big corporations and financial institutions that run this economy, the SW is still ahead. The Nigerian civil service consists mostly of Northerners with an almost equal distribution of SWners and Easterners.

the reason for the bolded was the indeginization decree smartly crafted by awolowo as finance minister in gowons government, knowing fully well that the igbos were still recovering from the civil war, after also masterminding the 20 pounds for every igbo law, since then the SW have held on to the corporate world like bees to honey.
Re: Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians by gidiMonsta(m): 11:03pm On Mar 10, 2012
Dede1:

errr, I believe the hatred of the Ibo's started when soldiers of eastern origin killed leaders from every region except theirs in a bloody coup not intimidation or domination as you are trying to spin it here.

As for the fear, I think that has to do with the number of vices attributed to people from that tribe.

DaLover:

the reason for the bolded was the indeginization decree smartly crafted by awolowo as finance minister in gowons government, knowing fully well that the igbos were still recovering from the civil war, after also masterminding the 20 pounds for every igbo law, since then the SW have held on to the corporate world like bees to honey.

You are very wrong, the SW has been in the forefront of running a capitalist Nigerian economy since the days of Herbert Macaulay. Go and read the history of British West Africa post world war II and see why there's a lot of Yoruba influence all the way to the Gambia.
Re: Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians by Dede1(m): 11:12pm On Mar 10, 2012
gidiMonsta:

errr, I believe the hatred of the Ibo's started when soldiers of eastern origin killed leaders from every region except theirs in a bloody coup not intimidation or domination as you are trying to spin it here.

As for the fear, I think that has to do with the number of vices attributed to people from that tribe.

Are you also oblivious to the statements allegedly made by SL Akintola and Ahmadu Bello?
Re: Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians by gidiMonsta(m): 11:17pm On Mar 10, 2012
Dede1:

Are you also oblivious to the statements allegedly made by SL Akintola and Ahmadu Bello?

I really don't know what they said but are you insinuating that they were killed brutally cos of these alleged statements? If so, should the Yoruba's also kill GEJ for calling them rascals during a political campaign? angry
Re: Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians by lagcity(m): 6:37am On Mar 11, 2012
Our polithiefians should roll up their sleeves and get to work like Awo did, not just wearing Awo cap all over the place.
Re: Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians by juman(m): 8:35am On Mar 11, 2012
lagcity
Our polithiefians should roll up their sleeves and get to work like Awo did, not just wearing Awo cap all over the place.

Exactly.

Most of them are not serious politicians.
Re: Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians by DaLover(m): 8:57am On Mar 11, 2012
@gidimonsta,
i am not saying the SW were not seriously into captialist running of the country prior to the indiginisation decree....but lets assume that there was almost a 50/50 split in the corporate world between the Sw and Se, plus the SE had the army and commerce...meaning that overall they were leading.....

This dominace and extreme competitive spirit drove the SE to cover the almost 50years head start the SW had on education due to earlier contact with the british...even the free education of the SW did not still make them outright leaders in the corporate world....
the dominace was so great that they were seen in every activity in the SW and north....the earliest recorded case of mass kolling in the north was in the 1950s....many years before the nzeogu coup? because it was feared by the core northernsers that shoild the british leave..the igbos with their aggresive drive would be the once runjing things....so over the years mistrust, jealosy, envy and haterate built up in the nigerian mind against the igbos....the nzeogu coup was just the final straw for the northerners......

Kn the SW...lagos was threated as a federal capital and the igbos threw their all into the development of the place just like they are doing for Abuja today..their presence was felt to the extent that NCNC could win elections in the Sw in the 50s...almost causing an embrarasing situation for awolowo....in a final act odlf desperation Awo played the ethnic card...causing the yorubas that supported the NCNC to cross over to the AG......

there are so many things to write were about igbo participation in the development of nigeria..and how they lost out thier spheres of influence after the civil war.....but whqt needs to be acknoledged is that key big corporations that dominated the economy mostly run by lebanese and british were forced to sell their shares to nigerians by awolowo....the igbos only had 20pounds (another awo magic)....the northerners as usual were far behind in education and all sorts....the only people with money then were the SW....guess what happened next..
That why those sitting on the boards of old companies like pz, liver brothers, fristbank are at least 80% ... this does not mean they wouldnt have been there....but they may not have been so dominant......please now your history...
Re: Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians by gidiMonsta(m): 9:29am On Mar 11, 2012
@DaLover
Its good to finally have a sane convos with a fellow nairalander devoid of insults, thank you for that.

Though I have never read it anywhere that the Ibos were killed in the North as far back as the 50's, I wouldn't totally rule it out cos of lack of evidence. Historical reports from neutral sources shows that even though the Ibos had a competitive drive to catch up with the SW in terms of development, they still lagged behind in education and infrastructural development up until the civil war, hence your 50/50 postulation is somewhat far-off.

I would like you to consider this with an unbiased mentality; Are the Ibos supposedly feared and hated because of their relentless drive for wealth which drives a lot of your youths into different kind of vices or some fairy tale dominance you believe you have over every other Nigerian tribe?
Re: Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians by Dainfamous: 4:27pm On Mar 11, 2012
Abeg save that word!!! stop beating your chest igbos are on their own level brov,all these your talk that igbo are too greedy and this and that means nothing because other tribes have done worst than igbos as far as nigeria is concern go ask any ghanaian they will tell you igbos are better to deal with than other tribes, see all these sucide bombers which crime is worst than a terrorist?? me personally a yoruba man have scam me and i told him if it was igbo now nobody go hear word from una..That why i said to you try and balance things dont play those old tricks is out dated.......
Re: Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians by okunoba(m): 9:23pm On Mar 11, 2012
@Dede1, What led to the civil war had nothing to do with the fear of Igbo domination, the second coup took care of that domination by killing the supreme commander, Gen Ironsi. The war was all about two mens ego, Gowan and Ojuwku. But Rather unfortunately millions had to die because of this power struggle. They say when two Elephants fight it`s the grass that suffers.
Re: Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians by Dede1(m): 12:29am On Mar 12, 2012
okunoba: @Dede1, What led to the civil war had nothing to do with the fear of Igbo domination, the second coup took care of that domination by killing the supreme commander, Gen Ironsi. The war was all about two mens ego, Gowan and Ojuwku. But Rather unfortunately millions had to die because of this power struggle. They say when two Elephants fight it`s the grass that suffers.

I believe you are insinuating after Gowon and Ojukwu, Nigeria ceased to produce egocentric individuals. The Nigeria/Biafra civil war and its outcome undoubtedly changed the balance of all things in Nigeria.

If you were not dangerously disingenuous with your childish post, you would have inquired what factors contributed to the coups. I guess based on your intellect, there could not have been a civil war without fear of Igbo domination which led actions that instigated the coups. And in your wildest of imagination, Nigeria was unfortunate to produce personalities such as Gowon and Ojukwu whose egos ran amok.

The socio-politico-economic factors in Nigeria mostly instigated by the fear of Igbo domination caused certain governments to embark on wanton nepotism, acts of political intolerance and open display of ethnical insensitivity which led to the first coup.
Re: Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians by Pygru: 11:00am On Jul 27, 2013
Re: Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians by Uchek(m): 12:04am On Feb 22, 2021
Please how did Zik join the country together?

dayokanu:

Was it Awolowo who joined the country together? If you want to blame anyone blame Azikwe the clueless Owelle

The bold shows you needed Awolowos free education
Re: Awo Lecture: Why North Is A Problem To National Unity – Eminent Nigerians by Uchek(m): 5:45pm On Aug 25, 2021
His ignominious role in the Nigeria-Biafra War rubbished all his achievments.

Afam4eva:
If not for the role Awolowo played during the civil war, he would have been one of my favourite leaders. Anyway, he still left his mark on the Yoruba race.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tension In CBN Over Appointments, Promotions / Rotimi Amaechi : You See Your Life? Picture / Why I Married Lara Fortes-oshiomhole Reveals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.