Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,382 members, 7,958,068 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 08:18 AM

New Nairaland: State Of The Forum - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / New Nairaland: State Of The Forum (7457 Views)

Nairaland State The Reason Why You Were Ban From Nairaland / Topic-Based [Following] & New Topic Bugfix (New Nairaland Update) / The New Nairaland: Are You Staying Or Leaving? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by NL1960: 12:39pm On Mar 12, 2012
Seun: Dear Nairalanders,

I have to apologize about the intermittent errors we've been experiencing since we switched to the New Nairaland script. When making the switch, my estimate was that we would lose about 20% of our traffic on the short term, and hopefully gain all it back in a month or so, and I was prepared to take that risk.

However, I never expected that we'd have issues with site uptime as a result of the switch. Most of the issues have been as a result of bugs pushed by me in the middle of the night when my faculties were not working optimally. I think we'd be lucky not to lose 40% or more of our traffic if this keeps happening.

I hereby apologize to Nairalanders for these errors of mine. I want to assure you that my programming partner and I are doing our best to deliver a world class "New Nairaland" experience to you. Our ultimate goal is to make New Nairaland better than Old Nairaland, in every way, within a month.

Thanks a million for your understanding.

Thank you also for now driving me crazy with this your new 'Bleep hours yyy minutes ago' replacement of the date usage. This is madness. How do i know where i stopped and where to come back to?. In the previous, it was easier using the date to know this. If i read a post yesterday and i come back in two (2) days time, i simply use the date to track where i stopped and where to continue from. Now, all thanks to your changes, i now have to start converting the days to hours and minutes to know where i stopped initially. You can continue your changes as much as you want but bring back the date usage instead of this hours and minutes usage.
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by denzel2009: 12:43pm On Mar 12, 2012
odiaero: Seun, can u please add PM?

So that you can use direct otumorkpo on the forum members one after the other?

2 Likes

Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by Rooneyboy(m): 1:00pm On Mar 12, 2012
Seun pls I use God or what ever thing u worship to beg u.
Pls restore the "post count" on everybody's post, I do a lot of transactions on NL hence use the "post count" to know dubious fellas.
Pls ! Pls !! and pls !!!

I observed the "post count" is now clogged in our profile, pls I'm not a patient person, wouldn't have that time to go through people's profile.
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by Connoisseur(m): 1:04pm On Mar 12, 2012
Encouragement is the word here. This new interface ain't as bad as most guys re making it.
@seun
If you would open a complaints page, then we can give our suggestions as we proceed.
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by Yorisb: 1:09pm On Mar 12, 2012
denzel2009:
So that you can use direct otumorkpo on the forum members one after the other?

+10 grin
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by marcus1234: 1:20pm On Mar 12, 2012
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by cap28: 1:54pm On Mar 12, 2012
i preferred the old format, i ve only just been able to log on to this so called new improved version despite trying throughout yesterday, what a joke!
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by zikaengee(f): 2:29pm On Mar 12, 2012
Seun,thanx for the upgrade. Is very good for my phone and I can view photos posted clearly than before that I can't even open any post that has photo on it. Keep it up and don't change anything. Our people have to know that change is the only thing that is constant in this world. I likey
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by okuya: 2:58pm On Mar 12, 2012
Thanks a lot for the new Nairaland, @ least we can now interact better on nairaland anytime using mobile phones which is always with us much more than our laptops. Couldn't help loving the new nairaland. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by ginas: 3:05pm On Mar 12, 2012
my advice for seun

restore the old layout

but improve on the functionality (add only meaningful features)

two (2) reasons nigerians like this forum is for :

1. its simple layout

2. ease of use

1 Like

Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by kaysy(m): 4:08pm On Mar 12, 2012
The only thing i enjoy in this new NL is that 1 can actually follow a thread with or without posting to it

1 Like

Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by IFELEKE(m): 4:59pm On Mar 12, 2012
Seun,
Firstly,I say kudos to you and your team.that said,i think you erred by drastically changing the outlook of NL,this is a sharp disconnection from what has hitherto being obtainable and am afraid it might drive people away.
My advise,kindly revert back to status quo ante and leverage on it.
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by dayokanu(m): 5:12pm On Mar 12, 2012
Horrible
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by NOLONGTIN1(m): 7:13pm On Mar 12, 2012
As a computer scientist, I have 2 advice for you:
1. This site is 'too' colourful, You went against the 1st rule in designing a website - Know ur audience. You could be forgiven if you made the site for children, because this look childish(immature) . If its not for children then the interface is Poor
2. It takes years to build a reputation. I'll use an illustration my lecturer loved to use; he says: it takes years to get a reasonable traffic(to a website) but days to loose it.
You made the site for us, therefore WE & not YOU must like the site

2 Likes

Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by NOLONGTIN1(m): 7:33pm On Mar 12, 2012
I forgot to Add, I prefer the Green & White outlook, it makes the website look Nigerian
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by Kilode1: 7:39pm On Mar 12, 2012
NO LONG TIN:
You made the site for us, therefore WE & not YOU must like the site

Customer Service 101

1 Like

Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by NOLONGTIN1(m): 7:42pm On Mar 12, 2012
I forgot to Add, I prefer the Green & White outlook, it makes the website look Nigerian
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by tpia5: 9:31pm On Mar 12, 2012
Seun, where is the signature that comes up at the bottom of each person's post/thread

huh?

my signature is gone?

seun kindly post a link to the old nairaland like i suggested before.
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by tpia5: 9:35pm On Mar 12, 2012
my signature is still in my profile, but its not showing on the threads.

is this going to be fixed?

1 Like

Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by kokorunna(m): 11:59pm On Mar 12, 2012
Every website needs a change once in awhile but instead of going live, you should have created a beta version where some people could have tested it. The colours are too bright and so many things do not feel right, fair enough you own the website but should have listened to what the users wanted.

It will take some time to get use to it but I feel NL is loosing its identify.

With the million of users facebook have, they cannot wake one morning and just change the whole design of their website.

NL used to be number one [/b]for so long but its [b]falling apart …… Seun you better do something about it, all the people that are complaining are your loyal NL users and want the best for the site.

Lastly its too slow loading up ..... WHY
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by InkedNerd(f): 1:07am On Mar 13, 2012
Okija_juju: This is the worst thing to happen to happen to Nairaland since the registration of Mr. Cork. . . angry

If you insert a smiley, it duplicates your post!! kai!! Suen, you no just try to try. . .

Old Nairaland or Nothing!!

lmao @ the Mr. Cork comment grin

Omg, I thought I was the only one that noticed the whole duplicating thing. When I was writing my feedback of this new layout on another thread, I saw it and i thought my eyes were playing games with me.
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by tpia5: 2:57am On Mar 13, 2012
However, I never expected that we'd have issues with site uptime as a result of the switch. Most of the issues have been as a result of bugs pushed by[b] me in the middle of the night when my faculties were not working optimally[/b]. I think we'd be lucky not to lose 40% or more of our traffic if this keeps happening.

I hereby apologize to Nairalanders for these errors of mine. I want to assure you that [b]my programming partner [/b]and I are doing our best to deliver a world class "New Nairaland" experience to you.

is this "programming partner" of yours of the opposite gender?

why were your faculties not working optimally in the middle of the night?
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by nwanioma(f): 10:48am On Mar 13, 2012
I miss been able to see how many posts someone has made! I think that should be put back.And seun and his able programming partner should think of putting a twitter button on the posts like if you read a very funny post you should be able to simply click a button and twit it!
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by tolu001: 6:17pm On Mar 13, 2012
This NL2 sucks... it aint even comely and kinda difficult to read thru. Adding some few tweaks to the old one would have been OK. Hope u are not murdering this site
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by Emeka71(m): 6:47pm On Mar 13, 2012
Seun: Dear Nairalanders,

I have to apologize about the intermittent errors we've been experiencing since we switched to the New Nairaland script. When making the switch, my estimate was that we would lose about 20% of our traffic on the short term, and hopefully gain all it back in a month or so, and I was prepared to take that risk.

However, I never expected that we'd have issues with site uptime as a result of the switch. Most of the issues have been as a result of bugs pushed by me in the middle of the night when my faculties were not working optimally. I think we'd be lucky not to lose 40% or more of our traffic if this keeps happening.

I hereby apologize to Nairalanders for these errors of mine. I want to assure you that my programming partner and I are doing our best to deliver a world class "New Nairaland" experience to you. Our ultimate goal is to make New Nairaland better than Old Nairaland, in every way, within a month.

Thanks a million for your understanding.

@Seun, was anything wrong with the old Nairaland Forum platform? pls this new one is not good at all. you see that one can no longer search for old topics. Nairaland Forum is going to become boring if left like this.
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by Nobody: 10:39pm On Mar 13, 2012
@Seun,
This new Nairaland is too colourful and confusing. It is also less personalized. This simply looks like a blog. The part I hate most is the dating system of posts. The dating system where you see things like '6 days, 3 hours, 43 minutes ago' is confusing and needless. Retain the former dating system. Topics and posts are far easier to sort out in the old Nairaland. Why dedicate all ur effort changing the a growing and successful site?
This is funny to me. Traffic to the site is certainly going to reduce drastically. At least, mine will reduce
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by denzel2009: 2:43am On Mar 14, 2012
x-fire:
This new Nairaland is too colourful and confusing. It is also less personalized. This simply looks like a blog. The part I hate most is the dating system of posts. The dating system where you see things like '6 days, 3 hours, 43 minutes ago' is confusing and needless. Retain the former dating system. Topics and posts are far easier to sort out in the old Nairaland. Why dedicate all ur effort changing the a growing and successful site?
This is funny to me. Traffic to the site is certainly going to reduce drastically. At least, mine will reduce

duh, this is linda iketa blog.
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by lolaluv1(f): 4:22am On Mar 14, 2012
Seun,
My main grouse is with the colour. It looks washed-out and strains the eyes. Each partition is not clearly defined. Something darker would be perfect!
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by OAM4J: 5:17am On Mar 14, 2012
lola.luv:
Seun,
My main grouse is with the colour. It looks washed-out and strains the eyes. Each partition is not clearly defined. Something darker would be perfect!

The colors have been darkened now. I think its more eye friendly now. If it's still straining your eyes, I will advice you increase your view size with ctrl+(+) and ctrl+(-)
Re: New Nairaland: State Of The Forum by Emeka71(m): 9:35am On Mar 19, 2012
The current state of this Nairaland is not good at all. It does not work well on phones, you can no longer view statistics. I will have to be forced to leave.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FUTA 2015/2016 Admission List Released, For Admission Assistance Contact Dr Luck / Forum Game: Guess The Names Of These Countries / Ogugua88 Added As Romance Mod.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.