Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,302 members, 7,822,493 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. (19159 Views)

My Sick Husband Wants Me To Be Having Sex Elsewhere / Husband Wants Divorce From Wife Because Of Sexual Starvation / 15 Brutally Honest Signs Your Husband Wants A Divorce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Afam4eva(m): 6:59pm On Mar 12, 2012
After hausa/ fulani people, i think Yorubas come next when it comes to forcing their heritage down people's throats. We know how Maryam babangida got married to babangida and she made people not realize that she's an Igbo woman from Asaba. Why can't they learn from Godswill Akpabio and Liyel Imoke who both have Igbo wives but don't try to force their culture on them.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by KINGwax(m): 7:04pm On Mar 12, 2012
ndidibabe: This is why i like Nairaland. I will try this today - If he calls me Sinmisola, i will call him Chukwuemeka.
you're an id¡ot, and so inexplicably senseless for a married woman. Your age should be like 21yrs or so.
'this is why u love nairaland'? For bigotry and tribalistic reasons abi? You think nairaland will fix your childish marriage if their stup¡d ideas finally break it?
You knw? I've seen natured people post real problems and sensible people has helped them solve serious marital issues with helpful responses.
But here, u exposed d stup¡dity and immaturity in your senses by bringing this kind of issues on board wit no real sense of solution. You're a waste

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by aljharem(m): 7:05pm On Mar 12, 2012
afam4eva: This is one of the reasons why i don't like Igbo ladies marrying from outside Igboland. They go never to come back. They lose their identity, Igboness and all the characteristics that comes with being Ada-Igbo.

@OP
I think you married a tribalist who likes you but hates your heritage. You should never change Ndidi for anything in the world. Next time he calls you Simisola call him Okogwu. By the time this goes on for some days he will cease to call you such.

It is a shame that even you are talking like an Illiterate.

When the white people came, you easily adopted Allison, John etc what is wrong in adopting your husbands heritage ?

A Yoruba woman married to an Igbo man from Anambra is called Chioma today because that is what her husband wanted and she accepted it. Why can't they just laugh about something as trivial as this ?

What a shame, OP you no like am, break up you marriage then rather than share your happy marriage fun afire out for the world to see.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Afam4eva(m): 7:08pm On Mar 12, 2012
alj harem:

When the white people came, you easily adopted Allison, John etc what is wrong in adopting your husbands heritage ?

A Yoruba woman married to an Igbo man from Anambra is called Chioma today because that is what her husband wanted and she accepted it. Why can't they just laugh about something as trivial as this ?

What a shame, OP you no like am, break up you marriage then rather than share your happy marriage fun afire out for the world to see.

She can be given a new Yoruba name but it should never replace her original name. That's madness. That's probably the only thing left of her Igboness.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by KINGwax(m): 7:09pm On Mar 12, 2012
afam4eva: After hausa/ fulani people, i think Yorubas come next when it comes to forcing their heritage down people's throats. We know how Maryam babangida got married to babangida and she made people not realize that she's an Igbo woman from Asaba. Why can't they learn from Godswill Akpabio and Liyel Imoke who both have Igbo wives but don't try to force their culture on them.
well, ndidi, i hope d above and other like responses help fueled your hatred for you husband and may be d only excuse needed to fuckin that igbo gateman in that office. That will surely solve your problem abi? Plus as u said, not that he's wealthy! Typical igbo wife.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by aljharem(m): 7:10pm On Mar 12, 2012
KINGwax: you're an id¡ot, and so inexplicably senseless for a married woman. Your age should be like 21yrs or so.
'this is why u love nairaland'? For bigotry and tribalistic reasons abi? You think nairaland will fix your childish marriage if their stup¡d ideas finally break it?
You knw? I've seen natured people post real problems and sensible people has helped them solve serious marital issues with helpful responses.
But here, u exposed d stup¡dity and immaturity in your senses by bringing this kind of issues on board wit no real sense of solution. You're a waste

Thank you, in the world today, we have too many da.ft people living among humans.

I can really imagine calling my wife Halinat and she makes it a big deal

Knowing how insecure her people her, she then decided to bring it on nairaland.

@ OP

If you cannot get over something as silly as this, then my advice for you is to break your marriage because you have already suspected your husband to be a tribalist like you.

Break it and go tell your people that you broke your home because he called you Sinmisola rather than Ndidi. Aturu ewu
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by KINGwax(m): 7:12pm On Mar 12, 2012
alj harem:

and who said she has a happy marriage?
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Afam4eva(m): 7:13pm On Mar 12, 2012
KINGwax: well, ndidi, i hope d above and other like responses help fueled your hatred for you husband and may be d only excuse needed to fuckin that igbo gateman in that office. That will surely solve your problem abi? Plus as u said, not that he's wealthy! Typical igbo wife.

While i think her post was childish by her saying that "it's not as if he has money" and kkinda insulting her husband, i think we should face the topic.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by aljharem(m): 7:14pm On Mar 12, 2012
afam4eva:

She can be given a new Yoruba name but it should never replace her original name. That's madness. That's probably the only thing left of her Igboness.

What are you talking about Afam. The husband never tried to replace her name in her birth certificate or something, I am sure he only called her Sinmisola because he loves her not because he wants to change her first name.

Would her ID card read Sinmisola or Ndidi ? Of course Ndidi

The OP is just a tribalist that reads meaning into things and she does not deserve a marriage because A MAN AND A WOMAN LIVE THEIR PARENTS HOUSES TO FORM ONE FAMILY.

She should call him Emeka as well and it should be expected they both laugh about it.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Maxymilliano(m): 7:18pm On Mar 12, 2012
Inasmuch as i'm not on same page with your hubby, rest in wealth is way ahead of rest in peace... The call is yours.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by KINGwax(m): 7:24pm On Mar 12, 2012
texazzpete:

From the way you're fuming over this storm in a teacup, I wonder if your husband isn't the one getting a raw deal inside this marriage.
You admit you know he still loves you very much yet here you are flinging words like 'I am not going to take this from him' and 'why does he hate my name so much'.

The first few paragraphs were all about how much he loves you and nothing at all about how you felt for him. All you could say was that you married him because he loves you.

Minus the flaky insistence on calling you by a pet name you don't like, i really feel sorry for your husband!
ME too. How i wish her husband can read all these and see how unlucky he had been
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Nobody: 7:38pm On Mar 12, 2012
Too many dumbos on this thread pretending to be neutral and of help to the OP but we see through their disguise that the reason they are persuading the OP to pick up a rather new and unfamiliar name from her selfish husband is not due to their concern for the OP's marriage but due to their contempt for the OP's place of origin and tribe. Afterall we can deduce this from their past posts and abuse on these forums.

OP,you must be a big dumbazz if you let any man or woman change the name given to you by your parents in the name of some flimsy marriage. Except you are an ''anu enu'' you would know that Igbos name their children based on the circumstances of their birth, parents past, parents experience and so on. Every Igbo man or woman bears a name not just for identity but to relate a secret story, appreciation and so on. So if you think your parents are fools for giving you a name they actually know it's meaning, go ahead and replace it with some stuupid name that has no relevance to your origin and existence simply because some man you met from God knows where married you and decided that your name is unworthy. Erase your meaning and history and become just another yoruba woman out there with no root. Afterall many out-of-point posters here who only live their life according to trend are letting you know that name is nothing but just name. Terrible, just terrible.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Yeske2(m): 7:43pm On Mar 12, 2012
Okija_juju:

Chukwuemeka is a porshe Igbo name jor!!

She should call him EbubeDike
LWKMD
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by BaBaMike: 7:45pm On Mar 12, 2012
ndidibabe: What is really wrong with my husband? I am Ibo and he is Yoruba. Before we got married, he talked so much about how beautiful (light skinned), intelligent, hardworking ibo ladies are. He also said an average Ibo lady knows how prepare good delicacies. He loves me and that was the reason i married him not minding our ethnic differences. After 14 months of marriage, i can say his love for me is still intact but the problem is that he is fond of calling me Sinmisola, a name i do not like. I asked him the meaning of the name and he said 'rest in wealth'. What sort of stupid name is that? I didn't marry him because i want rest in his wealth! Besides, it is not that he is wealthy, so why the name? Now, his parents too call me Sinmisola. He told me to do a change of name to Sinmisola + his surname. His Surname, Yes but why should i change my first name. Isn't he the yoruba man that love Ibo ladies so much to the extent of marrying one them? Why does he hate my Ibo name? I asked him why he wants my name changed and he said he just love it that way. I am not going to take this from him but i need mature people (married) to advice me on how to resolve this issue wisely.

This your story is 100 % false ... Sounds like a story line for Nollywood,I do not see or smell tribalism and empty brain anywhere close to this story

Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Bluelights: 7:45pm On Mar 12, 2012
I'd say go with the name change. If u can change ur last/family name, why not ur first name? U chose to marry him, changing ur first name will make u inseparable and ensure ur husband can fully "shelter" u. imagine if u were in his village and a tribal war broke out. would u rather the villagers knew u as Ndidi or Sinmi? I'm just saying..
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by LogicMind: 7:48pm On Mar 12, 2012
Op you really deserve not only a change of name but a change of everything. You have already started by calling yourself ibo instead of igbo. Just like that abomination of a tribe you married into. How could your family have agreed to such a marriage? Aru!

Please change your names. All of them. Change your language. Never give any of your offsprings an igbo name so our gods may not curse us. Please dress like them. When you see his mama, lie down flat on your stomach. Prepare your daughters to sexually satisfy your husband.

Please become like them.
May you never come back to igboland. Stay there with your curse.

I am off to make a sacrifice in my shrine so that my gods will not be offended that I stumbled upon this thread.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by IRAPADA(m): 8:01pm On Mar 12, 2012
Bandit C.:
Lol. Yoruba man wants to convert an Igbo woman to Yoruba by all means. Why he didn't go for a Sinmisola in the first place baffles me. Then again, any Igbo woman f00lish enough to settle for a yoruba man deserves whatever comes her way. This is the first sign of the kind of marriage she has gotten herself into. After one and half years of marriage, it is name change, what then would happen after say 15 years? she might then have been totally subdued and living in a cage somewhere in ogbomosho or something like that. SMH.
simisola is a good name,op is just trying to label hr husbd as a bad man
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by IRAPADA(m): 8:03pm On Mar 12, 2012
akpanbaba: My sister use your head and watch out because some of your advisers are waiting for your husband to throw you out and they will gladly change their names to Sinmisola just to marry him.Shine your eyes well well.
u just said my mind,
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by kelz88(f): 8:08pm On Mar 12, 2012
He should let it be the pet name that it is. Haba!! Is he trying to say your mama no name you well or what? Kmt!
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by phreakabit(m): 8:10pm On Mar 12, 2012
She should change it after all, no be she wan marry ******nu angry
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by onyengbu: 8:10pm On Mar 12, 2012
Dont blame the man or the lady. They both love each other and thats why they married each other despite their obvious dislike for their tribes.

What i dont really get is whether the akpu oru actually want you to do a formal name change or just the informal stuff where only he and your inlaws will address you as simi.

If it is the formal change that he wants, I can only say na nsogbu dikwa ooo.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by gidiMonsta(m): 8:22pm On Mar 12, 2012
@op
I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you cos I'm not married nor am I gonna be anytime soon cool but here's my personal opinion;
I don't see the big deal in this, is it that u don't like the name Sinmisola (I don't like it too) or you just don't like any Yoruba name?
I am a Yoruba man, I don't speak Ibo and neither does my girlfriend but I fondly call her Nkem kiss sometimes just because I like what it means and how it sounds. To me it's a term of endearment.

BTW: Telling you to change your name officially is chauvinistic and I don't believe he'll go that far.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Ninilowo(m): 8:23pm On Mar 12, 2012
Let her bear her Ndidi nah which one is changi changi? she ll not be comfortable with yoruba name.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by cynthiafred67(f): 8:28pm On Mar 12, 2012
Analytical: @Ndidibabe, I really don't understand why your husband would want you to change your first name! Surname, yes;but first name, I am hearing that for the first time! You have to let him know that is about the last thing that is personal to you as an identity. I don't think it's cool for anyone to ask his spouse to do that. If he wasn't comfortable with it or your being Ibo in the first instance, he shouldn't have gone into the union with you.

Sinmisola may be a fine name to him, but obviously not to you. He can give you a pet name to call you, but going to the extent of asking you to change your first name is going too far. Please find out from him why he wants you to change the name and lose that identity and everything associated with it (certificates, credentials, attachment, cultural etc). Does he know the meaning of your name? Let him know if he doesn't already. The Sinmisola can be reserved for your daughter when she comes.

^^On point
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by afm4ever(m): 8:36pm On Mar 12, 2012
is not to change d name ur mother gave u because ur married to a yoruba man is not done anx where wise up my sister
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by afm4ever(m): 8:37pm On Mar 12, 2012
is not to change d name ur mother gave u because ur married to a yoruba man is not done anx where wise up my sister
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by tpia5: 8:37pm On Mar 12, 2012
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by tpia5: 8:37pm On Mar 12, 2012
i think the thread is fake anyway.

never heard the like.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by Onlytruth(m): 8:48pm On Mar 12, 2012
@OP,
I believe that sane Igbo folks here: Bandit_C, Afam4eva, Logic_mind, Chyz, Phreakabit and Ifyalways have all covered all the issues involved here. This is part of why I caution Igbo girls against marrying outside the EASTERN NIGERIA and ANIOMA. Just be ready for ANYTHING. I would marry a white lady from far away Sweden first before I can touch some Nigerian tribes in marriage. Sad but true. This husband is a diehard tribalist. Nuff said.
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by MeGaStReEt: 8:51pm On Mar 12, 2012
Call him Ogbuefi
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by NRIPRIEST(m): 8:57pm On Mar 12, 2012
Op,you havent seen anything yet ! You have brought curse unto yourself and your family by marrying from a cursed people!
Re: Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. by tpia5: 9:02pm On Mar 12, 2012

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Excess Money: Moment MC Asked Groom To Spray His Bride 500k At A Wedding Party / As A Family Man, Am I A Miser, Greedy Or Trying To Be Financially Smart? / Can She Assumed A Wife Responsibility When Engaged?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.