Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,106 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:09 PM

Police Denies Killing Over 5,000 Nigerians Unlawfully - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Denies Killing Over 5,000 Nigerians Unlawfully (3334 Views)

London Police Denies Arrest Of Diezani Alison-madueke. - Reuters. / NEMA Denies Killing Of Chibok Church Worshippers / Boko-Haram Denies Killing Major-General Shuwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Denies Killing Over 5,000 Nigerians Unlawfully by mukina2: 4:28pm On Mar 12, 2012
The Nigeria Police headquarters has denied a report that they unlawfully killed over 5,000 detainees every year across the country.

The Chairman, Governing Council of the National Human Rights Commission, Prof. Chidi Odinkalu reportedly said at a workshop on the Nigerian Criminal Justice System in Abuja that police executes over 5,000 detainees summarily every year.

He also revealed that officers responsible for the killings were never punished.

But, the police headquarters’ spokesman, Olusola Amore, a deputy commissioner, said the commission did not consult with the police to substantiate the actual number of people killed illegally.

According to him, “I am not aware of the report because the commission did not consult the police to verify the actual number. I don’t know how they arrived at that but it’s their opinion and they are entitled to their opinion,”

Amore said even though there may be some incident of extra-judicial killing carried out by the police, but the number given by the commission wasn’t precise.

He said, “I can’t say there was no case of extra-judicial killing by the police. During the fuel subsidy protest, a DPO was allegedly said to have fired shots that led to the death of a protester in Lagos and he was arrested”.

http://dailypost.com.ng/2012/03/12/extra-judicial-killings-police-denies-killing-over-5000-nigerians-unlawfully/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=extra-judicial-killings-police-denies-killing-over-5000-nigerians-unlawfully
Re: Police Denies Killing Over 5,000 Nigerians Unlawfully by doctokwus: 5:58pm On Mar 12, 2012
I evn tink d figure is on d low side
Re: Police Denies Killing Over 5,000 Nigerians Unlawfully by Nobody: 6:03pm On Mar 12, 2012
Even if its true(which ofcourse it is), there is no proof that they did, and there is also no proof that that was the exact number of detainees murdered. So that give them the right to deny it.
Re: Police Denies Killing Over 5,000 Nigerians Unlawfully by guttentag(m): 6:34pm On Mar 12, 2012
okay if the police are found guity, wetin go come happen?
Re: Police Denies Killing Over 5,000 Nigerians Unlawfully by Joeblis(m): 6:41pm On Mar 12, 2012
guttentag: okay if the police are found guity, wetin go come happen?
they should face d ful wrath of the law
Re: Police Denies Killing Over 5,000 Nigerians Unlawfully by Paulsquare: 6:45pm On Mar 12, 2012
I am not sure if this true, how could i police kill 5,000 people unlawfully
Re: Police Denies Killing Over 5,000 Nigerians Unlawfully by BetaThings: 7:06pm On Mar 12, 2012
Paulsquare: I am not sure if this true, how could i police kill 5,000 people unlawfully

Ask the families of Apo 6 (massacred by police in Abuja) and Awosika (murdered by police in Lagos)
Re: Police Denies Killing Over 5,000 Nigerians Unlawfully by tunnytox(m): 7:56pm On Mar 12, 2012
Nigerian Police are worse than armed robbers, I believe the numbers of those killed will be more than 5000.
Re: Police Denies Killing Over 5,000 Nigerians Unlawfully by Knorkastur: 8:22pm On Mar 12, 2012
Re: Police Denies Killing Over 5,000 Nigerians Unlawfully by akin33(m): 9:30pm On Mar 12, 2012
Shebi IGP talk say make olopa komot their kaya 4 road, i saw police on d road in Ijebu Ode, at a very sharp corner. They stop me and request 4 my driver's licence. And they asked me 2 go. Many okada were seriously pursued and caught.
Re: Police Denies Killing Over 5,000 Nigerians Unlawfully by akin33(m): 9:30pm On Mar 12, 2012
Shebi IGP talk say make olopa komot their kaya 4 road, i saw police on d road in Ijebu Ode, at a very sharp corner. They stop me and request 4 my driver's licence. And they asked me 2 go. Many okada were seriously pursued and caught.
Re: Police Denies Killing Over 5,000 Nigerians Unlawfully by oiseworld: 9:40pm On Mar 12, 2012
Paulsquare: I am not sure if this true, how could i police kill 5,000 people unlawfully

what is it you read dat u don't understand.
Na commando? The nigerian police in general.
Re: Police Denies Killing Over 5,000 Nigerians Unlawfully by expert555: 9:59pm On Mar 12, 2012
Police never accepts anything. Accidental discharged gangsters grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Police Denies Killing Over 5,000 Nigerians Unlawfully by onojiwizardgmailcom(m): 10:07pm On Mar 12, 2012
i doubt that figure, i know they do have cases of police shoting people on the road sometims, but to say Nigerian police kills 5000 yearly i think is untrue, this guy is just trying to get global attention so he could attack more funds, this is what Nigerian nongovernmental organizations do to attack funds they will use to enrich themselves. nice try man but i think that figure is too high.
Re: Police Denies Killing Over 5,000 Nigerians Unlawfully by LEXYLOV: 11:07pm On Mar 12, 2012
i thought the figure is far higher than estimated !!! undecided
Re: Police Denies Killing Over 5,000 Nigerians Unlawfully by Vicjustice: 11:44pm On Mar 12, 2012
Re: Police Denies Killing Over 5,000 Nigerians Unlawfully by queensmith: 6:46am On Mar 13, 2012
The spokesman should sit down and sharrap, of only the police force were more transparent, is he going to say only 3 people have been slaughtered by serving police officers?

The BBC had picked up on Nigerias police brutality years ago, we all know how they go about killing innocent people and claiming they were 'armed robbers' killed in cross fire. Killing unarmed children and old men, it's about time the police are called out on this. Enough is enough, who will believe the police are here to serve the people and not the other way around! kmt
Re: Police Denies Killing Over 5,000 Nigerians Unlawfully by kl2020: 5:33pm On Mar 13, 2012
Joeblis: they should face d ful wrath of the law

is there law in nigeria?
Re: Police Denies Killing Over 5,000 Nigerians Unlawfully by guttentag(m): 8:36pm On Mar 13, 2012
kl2020:

is there law in nigeria?

I tire ooo,

(1) (Reply)

Has Boko Haram Changed Its Modus Operandi? / Tinubu Father Not Yoruba,Why He Stole All Lagos Money,shoperite is South africa / Adamawa By-election: Atiku Plots To Capture The State For APC As Crisis Hits PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.