Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,442 members, 7,846,816 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 01:38 AM

Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights (4773 Views)

Am Not In Support Of The Bill That Criminalize Social Media -senator Adeola / Senator Adeola - I Can't Support A Bill That Seeks To Criminalize Use Of Social / Picture Of President Obasanjo Kissing A Girl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by Seun(m): 3:18am On Apr 08, 2006
Good point. I wonder if I'll have my passport before they get around to criminalizing atheism.
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by Akolawole(m): 10:53am On Apr 08, 2006
Shannon:

@Akolawole
I don't pretend to know all of the tenets of the Nigerian Constitution, therefore I cannot produce a litany of examples.

Here is a link to the latest Nigeria's Constitution: http://nigeriaworld.com/focus/constitution/

Seun:

Good point. I wonder if I'll have my passport before they get around to criminalizing atheism.

In Nigeria your Atheism is allowed even if one choses to worship STONE is allowed.

In Nigeria, we have enough problem already, i don't want to be walking around the street seeing same sex cuddling in the name of advancement or Right.

@Shannon
By the way, where exactly are you from?
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by diddy4(m): 5:05am On Apr 10, 2006
i hate gay people, i like lesbians. i hate gays because my ass wont be safe around them but i like lesbians because my ass will be safe not that what they are doing is good. what in this world of me and you will make a guy attracted to another guys ass. it baffles me. i mean kissing and cuddling man and man. what is this world turning into. and they even have the tancity to write a letter to legalize it. to be frank, if i were the president, death sentence will be my own punishment. i dont care what people think. that is so disgusting and naive and a great sin. i did rather comit adultery than be gay. what the hell? for all those people supporting them, i know you people are gay, dont let me catch you outside cuddling a man. i will cut that rod off.lol.
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by Shannon(f): 5:16am On Apr 10, 2006
@Akolawole

Not that it truly matters, I am from New York in the US.
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by diddy4(m): 8:14am On Apr 10, 2006
@ shannon

i have been following your point of argument and i am not all that good with it. now lets see, you are talking about right. why didnt you people speak of right when bola ige was murdered. where were you? why dont you speak of right when a criminal is incarcerated? he has the right to live. you said it is a choice. it is also a choice for an armed robber to steal. it is a choice for tinubu to embezel police money. its a choice for a giuy to rape a woman. they made that choice not you. now, all this choices are morally wrong. why should the one of gays be diffrent. it is because of punishment that there is a decrease in crime rate. if they are not punished or curbed in one way or the other, it will be rampant and what will then be the future of the next generations. 5 years maybe too harsh but 2 years with hard labour might be ok. even dealth panelty will be wonderful but i wont want that cause what the gays do aint worth their life but they should be punished. if its made a crime to be gay, i dont see how it will not be stopped in nigeria.all other things you said about being overweight and driving different cars aint a crime. but gays, come on, you know how it is. you have a family member who is and i bet you dont like it or do you?
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by Akolawole(m): 12:27pm On Apr 10, 2006
@Diddd4yt

Thanks for your comment but my friend Shanon is not a Nigerian(as she says) so she may not know Chief Ige( though CNN run documentary on him).
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by Shannon(f): 2:13pm On Apr 10, 2006
@diddy4dt

I have no idea who those people are you talked about. As Akolawole said, I am not a Nigerian. I don't view being gay as a crime which is why I gave the examples that I did when referring to it. If you read my posts carefully I don't even concede that it's actually a choice, I argued from that stance because of who I was speaking with. In reality I don't believe in the death penalty for any of the crimes you listed (the ones listed outright, the ones about people as I said I do not know of).

When it comes down to it though, I don't believe that being gay is a crime. Yes, my father is gay, no I don't particularly like it because it seems to have made my life increasingly difficult especially when dating guys who seem to have it through their thick skull that every gay man is somehow attracted to them just because they possess the proper equipment. Excuse me, but do you wish to sleep with every girl you see? I would hope not and if you do you have a problem. Gay men are the same way as everyone else, they don't want to sleep with every butt they come across. As for my father, his life is his own and I cannot live it for him, he has made his choices.

I disagree with criminalizing a lifestyle in general.
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by Akolawole(m): 7:48pm On Apr 10, 2006
Shannon:

@diddy4dt
Gay men are the same way as everyone else

Lets just forget this but i am sure Nigeria is not America.
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by jagwar: 10:25pm On Apr 11, 2006
If we will copy the western culture must we also copy socially & morally abnormal behaviour as well?homosexuality is a disgusting & sinful act which is denounced by all major religions & should not be tolerated.
We are Africans we hav our own values & culture, let us not be fooled to drop these values all in the name of human rights. This issue has absolutely nothing to do with human rights, if that is the case y do we not exercise the right to marry our own parents?? I support the president fully on this issue, anyone who doesnt like it should either go for psychological re-orientation or go where the sinful act is allowed. As africans we all know that being gay is not & will never be normal so stop trying to create rights that dont exist. As for the issue of going underground?? well so be it, we cant hav them corrupting our young ones. I may not be a lawyer but i know evil when i see it.
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by Akolawole(m): 10:53am On Apr 12, 2006
wordddddd!
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by simmy(m): 2:07pm On Apr 12, 2006
Give Nigerians an inch and they will take a million miles!! Extreme views by gayhaters give us all a bad name! I think homosexuality is the most digusting thing i can think of but making it criminal just proves that most Nigerians are either unable or unwilling to think. How can you criminalize a lifestyle? The Nigerian government is just jobless! They should spend their time thinking up how to better the life of the average Nigerian instead of choosing to score cheap points by favouring the views of a largely ignorant public
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by Seun(m): 2:57pm On Apr 12, 2006
I am dissapointed in Nigerians just as I was dissapointed in Americans when they re-elected Bush. Shame on us!
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by jagwar: 3:54pm On Apr 12, 2006
simmy:

How can you criminalize a lifestyle? The Nigerian government is just jobless! They should spend their time thinking up how to better the life of the average Nigerian instead of choosing to score cheap points by favouring the views of a largely ignorant public

Oh pls spare us this life style issue!! angry Homosexuality is just as bad as incest. How can such sin be a life style?? expecially when innocent children can be lured into trying it. By the way what sort of children do u intend to raise from such a relationship??

I agree that there are other problems for th govt to worry about, but dont u think that havin gay ppl huggin & kissin in public will add to these problems?? prevention is better than cure. If my views cause me to be labelled a gay hater by some, well so be it.
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by Akolawole(m): 12:51am On Apr 13, 2006
simmy:

but making it criminal just proves that most Nigerians are either unable or unwilling to think.

I beg teach us how to think jare.

simmy:

Extreme views by gayhaters give us all a bad name!

Sorry Sir, I will voice it out 1000 times, i hate gays and i am a proper Naija.

I am not suprised sha, some hear or read about this act, seeing them performing their act would be better.

simmy:

instead of choosing to score cheap points by favouring the views of a largely ignorant public

Largely ignorant people.

Visit the so called Wetern countries you will see what we call super ignorant people.
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by Mongue(m): 10:16am On Apr 13, 2006
Come on, it's none of your business what people do with each other consensually.

There are probably far far more morally corrupt and depraved hetrosexuals out there in the world.

Just because you're gay it doesn't make you evil!!!!

If you want prison terms for breaking all supposed MORAL codes then all you adulterors better watch out!!!!
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by jagwar: 5:29pm On Apr 13, 2006
@ minogue
would u like to hav been raised from such a couple?? pls lets face the facts whats bad is bad.
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by Akolawole(m): 10:44pm On Apr 13, 2006
Mongue:

Come on, it's none of your business what people do with each other consensually.

They can do it in their room but if they hold arms and try rubbish thing on the road in Nigeria, i will be the first to stone them very well, we must rid our society of those westernised STUPIDITY
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by jagwar: 11:29pm On Apr 13, 2006
Akolawole:

we must rid our society of those westernised STUPIDITY

well said. grin
where r all those gay supporters? let them come & answer a few questions angry angry
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by Seun(m): 12:05am On Apr 14, 2006
Akolawole, you mentioned that there's religious freedom in Nigeria. what if my religion encourages homosexuality? Would I be permitted to practice such a religion? What if my religion worships homosexuals and forbids punishment of homosexuals? Would Nigeria respect my religion and leave the homosexuals alone?
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by Akolawole(m): 12:41am On Apr 14, 2006
You said "What If"
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by GL(f): 1:04am On Apr 14, 2006
If we all had the right to do what we feel like doing, this would be a chaotic world. Today it is homosexuality, if we allow it the next thing we'll hear is a brother and sister ( or even father and daughter) saying they're in love and want to get married. The family structure would be broken down then. Incest is just as abnormal as homosexuality.

We have our values in Nigeria and we must stand by them. I remember hearing something like, "if you don't stand for anything, you'll fall for everything". Not everyone in a country can approve of something, it's what the majority wants that goes. The majority here are anti-homosexuality (i've not seen any opinion polls but i believe this is the case).

We don't have to copy everything the West does, they aren't copying us anyway. Why isn't Polygamy allowed in the US? It's harmless afterall.
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by Shannon(f): 1:57am On Apr 14, 2006
Let he who is without sin throw the first stone. That's all I have to say to your latest litany of religious fervor Akolawole.
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by larger20(m): 2:09am On Apr 14, 2006
I will be neutral in the issue of homosexual.
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by Akolawole(m): 9:50am On Apr 14, 2006
GL:

If we all had the right to do what we feel like doing, this would be a chaotic world. Today it is homosexuality, if we allow it the next thing we'll hear is a brother and sister ( or even father and daughter) saying they're in love and want to get married. The family structure would be broken down then. Incest is just as abnormal as homosexuality.

We have our values in Nigeria and we must stand by them. I remember hearing something like, "if you don't stand for anything, you'll fall for everything". Not everyone in a country can approve of something, it's what the majority wants that goes. The majority here are anti-homosexuality (i've not seen any opinion polls but i believe this is the case).

We don't have to copy everything the West does, they aren't copying us anyway. Why isn't Polygamy allowed in the US? It's harmless afterall.

WORD
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by Akolawole(m): 9:52am On Apr 14, 2006
Shannon:

Let he who is without sin throw the first stone. That's all I have to say to your latest litany of religious fervor Akolawole.

@Shanon

Sorry, i need to ask you this again.

Are you white American or American with black roots.
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by babwilms(m): 10:31am On Apr 14, 2006
@shanon. Although non of us can cast a stone like you quoted from the bible because we have all sin and fall short of the glory of God. Atleast we are trying our best to stay on the right part and we do acknowledge the fact we are sinners so as to be forgiven by the almighty, but it does not mean we should do things which are sinful on purpose. You and i know that every religion is against it unless the homosexuals have made up another religion that allows it.
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by Akolawole(m): 1:05pm On Apr 14, 2006
babwilms:

unless the homosexuals have made up another religion that allows it.
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by freddie1(m): 2:36pm On Apr 14, 2006
Tell me which religion will allow and encourage you to be a homosexual?
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by babwilms(m): 3:51pm On Apr 14, 2006
are you asking me the question ?
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by kimba(m): 8:32pm On Apr 14, 2006
@ Alariwo
what if my religion encourages homosexuality?

Which Religion?
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by simmy(m): 3:22pm On Apr 15, 2006
I wonder y most nigerians cannot mind their business! What homosexuals do to themselves is nobody's business. I maintain that that criminalising homosexuality is in itself the most grevious thing a government can do to its citizens. Shame on Nigeria1 we;ve just proved to the world that were still a bunch of silly people
Re: Letter To President Obasanjo Regarding Bill To Criminalize Gay Rights by Akolawole(m): 5:18pm On Apr 15, 2006
simmy:

I wonder y most nigerians cannot mind their business

So we should mind our business to allow western madness, i have no other country than Nigeria.

simmy:

criminalising homosexuality is in itself the most grevious thing a government can do to its citizens.

Sorry o!, When you become Nigeria's president, we will sponsor and encourage it the-more sir.

simmy:

Shame on Nigeria1 we;ve just proved to the world that were still a bunch of silly people

Silly people, Does that include you and I?

To hell with the world in this regard?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Senator Obende Calls On FG To Ban Night Travelling / My Grandfather Was Buhari's Class Mate - Picture / 2015 Elections: Nigerian Masses About To Make A Strong Statement To Politicians!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.