Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,121 members, 7,814,938 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? (27753 Views)

5 Uniforms Every Responsible Lady Must Wear And The Correct Sequence / Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo / Snake Na Oyibo Culture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by bokohalal(m): 1:13pm On Mar 20, 2012
The word is most likely Urhobo or Itshekiri.
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by amor4ce(m): 3:33am On Mar 26, 2012
It is Yoruba for "a person whose skin appears to be peeling from bee stings" as oyin refers to bees while bo refers to peel.
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by rabzy: 12:16pm On Mar 26, 2012
amor4ce: It is Yoruba for "a person whose skin appears to be peeling from bee stings" as oyin refers to bees while bo refers to peel.

Oyinbo would be 'bees peel him/her'. But those who are stung by bees don't have peeled skins that would look like white skin. They look more like peeled by hot water. So a Yoruba man on first sight would have thot 'peeled by hot water' 'omi gbona bo' and then maybe 'omibo'. Omibo would have been more descriptive and more plausible to have been the case than a bee attack.
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Nobody: 1:18pm On Mar 26, 2012
Small small, "bawo ni" will also be an Igbo phrase. Lol just as how Igbos are now claiming ashewo - ashawo as an Igbo word.
Too much close proximity with Yorubas is the case.

@Post

It's "Oyinbo".

2 Likes

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Mar 26, 2012
rabzy:

Oyinbo would be 'bees peel him/her'. But those who are stung by bees don't have peeled skins that would look like white skin. They look more like peeled by hot water. So a Yoruba man on first sight would have thot 'peeled by hot water' 'omi gbona bo' and then maybe 'omibo'. Omibo would have been more descriptive and more plausible to have been the case than a bee attack.

I like your frankness and objectivity.

This subject is still open for more research. Hopefully, one day we shall get the correct info.
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Mar 26, 2012
amor4ce: It is Yoruba for "a person whose skin appears to be peeling from bee stings" as oyin refers to bees while bo refers to peel.

First of all, [i]Oyin [/i]means honey, not bees.
Aren't you Bini or something like that? undecided

And who is this person with 100% incorrect information? undecided
Please stop, okay? Claim your father's language, not Yoruba.
Even if na "hot shoit", it would have been "ominbo", not "omibo".
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Mar 26, 2012
Obiagu1:

So you mean that "Oyinbo" is a broken Yoruba "He scratched peeled". SMH!
By the way, scratched like tiger whiskers?

Someone please help me here, did the first Europeans to Yorubaland have scratched skins/face?

Look at this uncultured rat, as if you didn't see "peel" as part of his explanation.
furthermore, with languages, one word can have multiple synonymous meanings. Something your father paid to be taught to you while learning English in one Abakaliki village.
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Obiagu1(m): 2:46pm On Mar 26, 2012

rabzy:

Hahaha, I have actually come to believe that Oyinbo is a Yoruba word meaning "bees/honey peeled him/her". In Yoruba tradition, it is believed that a bee sting could peel a man's skin. Am I surprised at this conjecture? Not at all, when the same Yoruba tradition actually believes that Oduduwa fell from the sky.

2 Likes

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by PhysicsQED(m): 6:07pm On Mar 26, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

amor4ce is Ijebu.
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Mar 26, 2012
PhysicsQED:

amor4ce is Ijebu.

Is that so. . . . Ijebu-Igbo or Ijebu-Yoruba? There's a difference there.
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by PhysicsQED(m): 6:38pm On Mar 26, 2012
Ijebu Yoruba. He admitted on another thread a while back that his Yoruba wasn't exactly the best.

Ijebu-Igbo is just a town, not a group, right? So even if he were from there he'd still be Ijebu Yoruba.
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Mar 26, 2012
PhysicsQED: Ijebu Yoruba. He admitted on another thread a while back that his Yoruba wasn't exactly the best.

Ijebu-Igbo is just a town, not a group, right? So even if he were from there he'd still be Ijebu Yoruba.

That explains much.

Oyin is not bee, it's honey.

@Ijebu-igbo, my slight attempt at a joke.
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Mar 26, 2012
Old witch.
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Nobody: 7:00pm On Mar 26, 2012
mbatuku2: Old witch.

Older witch.
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Moyola(f): 7:07pm On Mar 26, 2012
itz:

Ohibo not Oyibo

Ohinbo not Oyinbo tongue
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by rabzy: 9:08am On Mar 27, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

And who is this person with 100% incorrect information? undecided
Please stop, okay? Claim your father's language, not Yoruba.
Even if na "hot shoit", it would have been "ominbo", not "omibo".

Madam take am easy, this is a discussion and not a war front, am not among tribal war mongers, so just chill. So if i said omibo and you said ominbo, what great catastrophe have i committed. I never claimed yoruba, sogbo. Yeah i know hot water is 'omingbono', but it would have been a mouthful to say 'ominbo' and ominbo could easily have later become 'omibo' 'water peeled him'. Now am not saying this is how 'oyinbo' came to be, am only just examining the 'bee/honey peeled' idea.

Now for something more 'catastrophic', the yorubas or some of them also call the white man's language 'eebo', while 'geesi' is the official, grammatic word for English, but in everyday life, yorubas call English 'eebo' or 'ede oyinbo'. E.g mi o gbeebo, i dont understand english, eebo lo n so yen (na English you dey speak). There is this popular joke about the former military adminstrator in lagos Raji Rasaki, when he was chided about his poor English, he said ' won pe, aa gbe eebo, aa gbe eebo, but aksion si n lo' meaning, 'they said i cant speak english, i cant speak english, but action (i.e work) is going on.

If 'eebo' is used to mean the English language, how does that jell with the honey/bee theory. The Edos also call the language 'eebo', with a slight twist in the pronunciation, also the whiteman and any fair person is called 'eebo'. Now 'ovbi-eebo', the sons/offsprings of white, can easily become oyinbo.

Now the common denominator in all this is the syllable 'bo'. The syllable sounds exactly the same in 'eebo' and 'oyinbo', unlike in the 'oyin-bo (honey/bee peeled contraption). For me the search should commence from how did they come to be called 'eebo'.

Notwithstanding, this is just a discussion, Someone can come up later and show us an ancient, hardly known or otherwise Yoruba/hausa/Igbo word or incidence that would shed more light on the term and that could be the right source or a more plausible term.

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by amor4ce(m): 10:17pm On Mar 27, 2012
What is the Yoruba word for bee?

If a person has lesions/boils (which usually look reddish) from an insect sting, is it not easier for the epidermis at that area to be broken/ruptured?
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by okooyinbo(m): 8:14pm On Apr 08, 2012
amor4ce: What is the Yoruba word for bee?

If a person has lesions/boils (which usually look reddish) from an insect sting, is it not easier for the epidermis at that area to be broken/ruptured?

Oyin = Bee, the insect
Oyin = Honey, the sweet thing the bees produce
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Mustay(m): 8:30am On Apr 12, 2012
ifyalways: Both are correct.
Oyinbo is yoruba while oyibo is igbo.

Exactly!!!
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Antivirus92(m): 8:23pm On Jul 12, 2012
Dagos is a word englishmen use to describe italians,portuguese and spanish becos of their language and name that ends always with "0".SO one can be nicknamed from his language.europeans calling onye igbo;oyibo can be given that nickname "oyibo" by igbos. Afterall during the nigeria/biafran war the name nyamiri was given to the igbos by the hausas becos they heard one igbo soldier shout "nyem mmiri". So yorubas coming out here to claim that yin means scratch and bo means peeled,when put together will give "scratch peel" and not peeled skin as u claimed it means.

2 Likes

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by mruknaijaboy(m): 8:54am On Jan 30, 2013
I dont know about oyinbo but the word oyibo is urhobo and it means white

but its no big deal wether ppl call it oyinbo or oyibo it still means the same thing
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by EzePromoe: 11:39am On Jan 30, 2013
Oyibo is a Nigerian Kalabari (ijaw tribe) word meaning "MAN", it also means "white person" generally used in the country, which originates from Igbo Language . The first "White people" to settle in Nigeria as colonial masters were the English people . In Igbo language demonym takes the form " onye + the place of origin" of the person, hence, and Igbo person is called " Onye Igbo". A Yoruba person is called " Onye Yoruba". A German is "onye Germany". Thus the first white people were called "onye ocha" for singular and "ndi ocha" for plural meaning "white person and white people" respectively. This was because the Igbo people of those days did not know from where the white people came. Interaction between the Igbos and the white people resulted in the white people trying to refer to the Igbos with a name similar to what the Igbos called them, but there was problem in pronouncing Igbo words due to presence of double lettered alphabets which involve nasal pronunciation,in some of the consonants such as 'ch', 'gb', 'gh', 'gw', 'kp', 'kw', 'nw', 'ny', 'sh'. These were not present in English language hence the difficulty in the white man's effort in giving the Igbos similar demonym as the Igbo people had given to him, instead a name resulting from a mutilation of Igbo words was produced "Oyi ibo' instead of " onyi igbo' meaning 'Igbo person' just as he 'the white man' was called ' onye ocha' meaning 'white person'. It was this 'oyi ibo' that the Igbos later started referring to as 'white person' in a way of mocking the white man for his inability in saying "Onye Igbo". This would later be adopted by other Southern Nigerian tribes as the standard name for the white man and coupled with dialect variance one obtains different pronunciations such as "Oyinbo' in Yoruba and other western Nigerian tribes. Also, 'Oyibo' means English Language in Igbo. In general usage it may refer to individuals with various skin complaints such as vitiligo or genetic conditions such as albinism.

2 Likes

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by amor4ce(m): 9:17pm On Jan 30, 2013
^^^the yoruba translation of oyinbo is still very different from yours so before asserting that oyinbo is derived from onye igbo you'ld have to come up with explanations to show that the yoruba translation is wrong, else yours remains faulty.
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by pazienza(m): 12:54am On Jan 31, 2013
As an igbo man from anambra,we don't call english language 'bekee',i think,bekee is more of abia and imo thing. In anambra and enugu, english= oyibo, white man's land= obodo oyibo.

But to imo and abia people, english= bekee,white man's land= ala bekee.

2 Likes

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Abagworo(m): 8:38am On Jan 31, 2013
pazienza: As an igbo man from anambra,we don't call english language 'bekee',i think,bekee is more of abia and imo thing. In anambra and enugu, english= oyibo, white man's land= obodo oyibo.

But to imo and abia people, english= bekee,white man's land= ala bekee.

You are somehow right but I think is quite mixed. Bekee originated from Aboh/Ukwuani but Oyibo seems older. You can hear such names as Akuoyibo and Egoyibo but not Akubekee or Egobekee in Imo State. However I've seen people from Enugu/Anambra/Abia going by Egobekee or Nwabekee. Bekee was adopted as central Igbo though.
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by oboy3(m): 5:26pm On Jan 31, 2013
Oyibo is an igbo word
meaning white person,yoruba bastardised the word to make it sound like a yoruba word,corrupted it to onyinbo
same as in ejima meaning twins In igbo,they changed their's to Ejire
and Ube,theirs is Ibe(pear)

4 Likes

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by pazienza(m): 8:44pm On Jan 31, 2013
Abagworo:

You are somehow right but I think is quite mixed. Bekee originated from Aboh/Ukwuani but Oyibo seems older. You can hear such names as Akuoyibo and Egoyibo but not Akubekee or Egobekee in Imo State. However I've seen people from Enugu/Anambra/Abia going by Egobekee or Nwabekee. Bekee was adopted as central Igbo though.

Yea,you are right,bekee became the central igbo. You are really versed in igbo things,yea, oyibo appears older,especially that akuoyibo(coconut),it's the same thing even in imo and abia,one would have expected them to call it akubekee.
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by pazienza(m): 8:49pm On Jan 31, 2013
o'boy:
Oyibo is an igbo word
meaning white person,yoruba bastardised the word to make it sound like a yoruba word,corrupted it to onyinbo
same as in ejima meaning twins In igbo,they changed their's to Ejire
and Ube,theirs is Ibe(pear)

Don't be too sure,igbo,yoruba,edo belongs to the same language sub grouping called 'kwa' or something like that,they share a lot in common. For example,do you know that the edos and yorubas call box 'akpati' too.

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Afam4eva(m): 11:49pm On Jan 31, 2013
lol grin See as everybody jusy dey claim.

Though i have a friend whose last name is "Oyibo" and she's from Imo state.

3 Likes

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by odumchi: 1:11am On Feb 01, 2013
Food for thought.

6 Likes

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by odumchi: 1:19am On Feb 01, 2013
pazienza:

Yea,you are right,bekee became the central igbo. You are really versed in igbo things,yea, oyibo appears older,especially that akuoyibo(coconut),it's the same thing even in imo and abia,one would have expected them to call it akubekee.

We say Bekee and not Oyibo, in my part of Abia.
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Nobody: 3:11am On Feb 01, 2013
Ibo - Oyibo

Yoruba - Oyinbo

Oyinbo is a Yoruba word tho.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Does Mirror Affect Infants / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) / Oluwo Of Iwo, Akanbi, Dangote And Paddy Adenuga Meet In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.