Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,952 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:38 AM

Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? (27755 Views)

5 Uniforms Every Responsible Lady Must Wear And The Correct Sequence / Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo / Snake Na Oyibo Culture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by macof(m): 6:36pm On Mar 09, 2015
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by StarFlux: 6:51pm On Mar 09, 2015
I do wonder, even though nasals are pretty commonplace, why add a nasal to it if it was indeed borrowed anyway. Borrowing usually simplifies spelling, doesn't it?

Some people will claim honey + peel is somewhat vague in actual meaning (as many literal translations, it's logical enough in Yoruba really), but then again so are a lot of contructed words, it's a part of the coding. It's a pretty moot point. Or it might actually refer to sunburns. Bee stings and leaves a red mark as if the skin was peeled on the person which would be common on white people.

Regardless, the word is too simple of a construction for all these claims. Oyinbo makes sense in Yoruba, therefore it is Yoruba. If oyibo makes sense in Igbo, then it's Igbo too. Really don't see the big fuzz lol.
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by macof(m): 6:54pm On Mar 09, 2015
bigfrancis21:

How does honey + peel make any useful meaning to you? Just because you're trying to concoct a meaning out of the word that coincidentally means something else in Yoruba doesn't make it originating from south west. Just as, " 'Obasanjo' means 'he spreadeth evil' (O basa njo) in Igbo doesn't mean the name is 'Igbo'. Or just as Oduduwa coincidentally means 'leader of the people of the world' (odu = leader, du/ndu/ndi = people, uwa = world) in Igbo, therefore I should claim the name and the legendary (unverifiable) man as Igbo coming from the South East. Yoruba legend has it that 'he fell from the sky' out of nowhere, which is symbolic to mean that he came from outside ancient Yoruba territory, which may have been Igboland. Since science proves that nobody is able to 'fall from nowhere', definitely not from the sky (grin), thus Odundiuwa (an Igbo man. Corrupted to 'Oduduwa' as usual) must have migrated from somewhere to Yorubaland, which is from the South East. Afterall, legendary Ife folk lore holds it that an ancient people called 'Igbo' (which modern Yoruba authors render as 'bush' people) inhabited the Yoruba closely during the times of yore and its people raided and constantly terrorized the people of Ife (or whichever people it was) until Moremi exposed their secrets. A surviving Yoruba legend which proves the ancient Igbo-Oduduwa connection. cheesy

Records have it that the Igbo have been using the word as at early as 16th century or even beyond, before the slave trade era. Till today, the word is still used in Igboland and all over Nigeria. Asides Yoruba land where it is 'Oyinbo', it is 'Oyibo' elsewhere. I've asked you before to furnish verifiable evidence of 'oyinbo' usage in ancient Yorubaland. You failed to do that. Thus, you have no basis for your wanton claim. Oh, that reminds me, an Igbo man was the first Nigerian to write a book (biography). No Yoruba wrote a book before him. How would you provide evidence anyway.

At the point Olaudah wrote his book, he mentioned the word as what his people (who had barely and outside influence with any non-Igbo speaking element. Mind you, he was from Isseke in modern-day Anambra state) referred to a light-skinned person. No, he didn't learn that word after he was sold into slavery and 'encountered' Yoruba-speaking slaves who 'taught' him the word (cheesy) which suddenly made him to go back in time to before he was kidnapped to mention that his people, not him, used 'oyibo' to refer to light-skinned.

I'm glad you provided the Yoruba equivalent for Okro, Ogbono, Agidi, etc which are growing less and less in usage and substituted by Okro, Ogbono, Agidi etc. from Igbo language. You've furthermore proven Okro, Ogbono, Agidi etc are Igbo words, often used in Yorubaland today.

More jokes..I don't know why u expect English sentence structure to make sense out of Yoruba
Let me explain it the way little kids will understand
"oyin" is a noun. "bo" is a verb. No object followup necessary. [I don't know Igbo much but I expect it to have similar sentence structure...if nt identical]
Yoruba will say Oyinbo = honey peels her/him/it

Oh well you can claim Oduduwa and the Ugbo-Ilaje people all you want, you'll jst be giving the impression that you are a mad man

we have Oyinbo-mefun in Ota, Ogun state. Ota origins is recorded to have been around 1400AD
"efun" is white chalk. You see all the connections?

Lemme tell you the origins of the name are stated in Ogunda Meji and are closely related to Ogun

grin jst because there are no books before Olaudah making use of the word Oyinbo in all it's variants doesn't mean it's an original Igbo word
Oyibo doesn't even make sense in Igbo language and cannot be broken down to make sense...people have tried and failed
There are no places called oyibo

grin grin I jst told u nobody calls them that in Yoruba. Stop trying to force it into Yoruba language grin
Nobody calls them that! I already gave you the Yoruba names to prove u wrong but you insist on slander

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by bigfrancis21: 10:50pm On Mar 09, 2015
macof:

More jokes..I don't know why u expect English sentence structure to make sense out of Yoruba
Let me explain it the way little kids will understand
"oyin" is a noun. "bo" is a verb. No object followup necessary. [I don't know Igbo much but I expect it to have similar sentence structure...if nt identical]
Yoruba will say Oyinbo = honey peels her/him/it

Oh well you can claim Oduduwa and the Ugbo-Ilaje people all you want, you'll jst be giving the impression that you are a mad man

we have Oyinbo-mefun in Ota, Ogun state. Ota origins is recorded to have been around 1400AD
"efun" is white chalk. You see all the connections?

Lemme tell you the origins of the name are stated in Ogunda Meji and are closely related to Ogun

grin jst because there are no books before Olaudah making use of the word Oyinbo in all it's variants doesn't mean it's an original Igbo word
Oyibo doesn't even make sense in Igbo language and cannot be broken down to make sense...people have tried and failed
There are no places called oyibo

grin grin I jst told u nobody calls them that in Yoruba. Stop trying to force it into Yoruba language grin
Nobody calls them that! I already gave you the Yoruba names to prove u wrong but you insist on slander

Honey + peel utterly makes no sense whatsoever. If we should go by meaning, oyiibo in Igbo might mean 'looks like a [red] ibo', (o yi ibo) probably used to refer to a European who looks like a light-skinned Igbo.

To buttress your claim, furnish evidence that proves Yoruba invented the word and were using it prior to the 17th century.

http://www.mynewswatchtimesng.com/confab-must-remove-punitive-measures-igbos-oyibo-thompson/

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by bigfrancis21: 4:58am On Mar 10, 2015
StarFlux:
I do wonder, even though nasals are pretty commonplace, why add a nasal to it if it was indeed borrowed anyway. Borrowing usually simplifies spelling, doesn't it?

Some people will claim honey + peel is somewhat vague in actual meaning (as many literal translations, it's logical enough in Yoruba really), but then again so are a lot of contructed words, it's a part of the coding. It's a pretty moot point. Or it might actually refer to sunburns. Bee stings and leaves a red mark as if the skin was peeled on the person which would be common on white people.

Regardless, the word is too simple of a construction for all these claims. Oyinbo makes sense in Yoruba, therefore it is Yoruba. If oyibo makes sense in Igbo, then it's Igbo too. Really don't see the big fuzz lol.

Yoruba is a tonal language. The Igbo war chant, Nzogbu Enyi mba Enyi when rendered/written by a Yoruba as seen online is, 'Nzogbu Eyin mba Eyin', adding an 'n' to the Enyi word, in line with the language's tonal feature. Therefore, it comes as no surpise if the word was adapted and 'n' added to it in line with its tonal feature. Nwantinti = wantintin in Yoruba. It is always about the 'n'.

There is no evidence that the word originated from Yoruba. I have provided evicende that shows the usage in Igboland to as early as 17th century, and the pervasive use of the 'word' in Igbo names, thus making it likely originating originally from Igbo land and spreading to other areas.

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by macof(m): 4:18pm On Mar 10, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Honey + peel utterly makes no sense whatsoever. If we should go by meaning, oyiibo in Igbo might mean 'looks like a [red] ibo', (o yi ibo) probably used to refer to a European who looks like a light-skinned Igbo.

To buttress your claim, furnish evidence that proves Yoruba invented the word and were using it prior to the 17th century.

http://www.mynewswatchtimesng.com/confab-must-remove-punitive-measures-igbos-oyibo-thompson/
But why do u keep trying to use English to make sense out of another language?

Oyin + bo makes perfect sense to anybody that speaks Yoruba, there's no other way of saying it

that's a recent idea you just made up, no people would refer to foreigners the same name they call themselves
And you really need to stop acting like Igbo are people of light skin. Most Igbos are black and only few have "peeled skin" like you have all around southern Nigeria. Difference is Igbos have more compared to their neighbors.
There's no way "o yi ibo"(looks like Ibo) would have been used to refer to Europeans when most Igbos are black and look more like their neighbours than anything from outside sub-Saharan Africa

Onye Ocha is what everybody knows Igbo speakers call Europeans and Light skinned Negros
Just like Yoruba have only word for that which is Oyinbo
You want to say Yorubas didn't know what light skin is before 20th century?

Olaudah said his people were subjects of Bini, Bini call Europeans Oyinbo too, but mostly Ebo
Which could be rendered by Igbos subjects as "O yi Ebo" to refer to the light skinned among them
So it's no surprise Anioma and Anambra people say Oyibo

It could also have spread by Olukumi people in Aniocha delta

U keep saying 17th century, where's the record Igbos used it by that time. The man u quoted from was a slave who's account especially in terms of names and terms were not rendered properly. More so it was in the 18th century nt 17th century

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Mar 10, 2015
Though it makes no sense to debate who named the white man but in actual Yoruba it is Oyibo not Oyinbo.

Oyi in Yoruba = cold wind/breeze

Bo = peel/fade/scratch/whiten/lighten

Combine the above and you'd have the answer.

@ bigfrancis21 and Macof
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by macof(m): 7:47pm On Mar 10, 2015
9jacrip:
Though it makes no sense to debate who named the white man but in actual Yoruba it is Oyibo not Oyinbo.

@ bigfrancis21 and Macof

Oyi?
Growing up we called cold breeze Oye

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Mar 10, 2015
macof:

Oyi?
Growing up we called cold breeze Oye

Oye
Otutu
Ategun
Afefe
Oyi

Oye is hamarttan while Oyi is usually morning cold when it is not harmattan period.
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by bigfrancis21: 4:00am On Mar 11, 2015
9jacrip:

Oye
Otutu
Ategun
Afefe
Oyi

Oye is hamarttan while Oyi is usually morning cold when it is not harmattan period.

Reminds me of Flavour N'abania's hit song, 'oyi na-atu m' (cold dey-catch me). South West adopting Igbo words since 17th century. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Ilekeh(f): 4:03am On Mar 11, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Reminds me of Flavour N'abania's hit song, 'oyi na-atu m' (cold dey-catch me). South West adopting Igbo words since 17th century. cheesy

Interesting. While we were conquering lands and forming empires........weren't y'all running around with bows and arrows? jk jk

Yoruba words have always been adopted by its neighbors and immigrants. Even up till today.
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by bigfrancis21: 4:18am On Mar 11, 2015
9jacrip:

@ bigfrancis21 and Macof

Evidence so far proves 'Oyibo' is most likely the original word, being only pronounced as 'oyinbo' elsewhere. Further proof of this is the fact that asides south west, other tribes of Nigeria that have come to adopt the word all pronounce it 'oyibo'. The famous Nigerian mathematician, Gabriel Oyibo from Igala bears 'Oyibo' as surname. http://www.math.buffalo.edu/mad/PEEPS/oyibo_gabriela.html

The truth is words have spread between languages in Nigeria. Yoruba words like 'jare', 'oya', 'ni' etc. have spread into Nigerian pidgin English through the influence of the language in the music industry and Lagos being the economic nerve center of Nigeria (had Kano, Enugu or Calabar been in the position Lagos was, as former capital of Nigeria, Hausa, Igbo or Efik might have had more influence today), thus attracting people from all over Nigeria into the state, while Igbo words (especially in food) such as 'akamu', 'okro', 'nna', 'ogbono', 'dey' (I dey. 'dey' is said to be originated from Igbo 'di' in Jamaican Patois. i.e. Chidi = God dey, Chi di mma = God dey good, Nne di mma = Mama dey good, O di risky = E dey risky, etc. A word which is still used in Jamaican Patois till today - one of the legacies left behind by Igbo slaves who once walked on the plantations of Jamaica) have spread into Nigerian English and other languages via the dispersal tendencies of the Igbo outside Igboland, carrying their food and language along with them. No tribe in Nigeria today has a well-assorted dish menu well-known all over Nigeria as the Igbo. My mother and grandmothers taught me very well how to cook and I have had some of my non-Igbo friends approach me to learn my style of cooking, even here in the US.

At the end of the day, all it takes is simple humility to accept our differences and accord merit to whom it is due.

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by bigfrancis21: 4:37am On Mar 11, 2015
Ilekeh:

Interesting. While we were conquering lands and forming empires........weren't y'all running around with bows and arrows? jk jk

Yoruba words have always been adopted by its neighbors and immigrants. Even up till today.

Excuse me, you mean the mighty Nri civilization in Igbo land? Or the great Aro traders that were known all over Igboland? Even when the white men came, they didn't find Igboland in that state. So what are you talking about? Or you mean the Nsibidi writing script of southern Igboland where ancient Igbo were already writing scripts? Or the ancient Igbo pyramids?

The Igbo believed and still believe in a parliamentary system of governance, where no person is greater than the other and therefore no one should lord himself over others. The Igbo existed in well-delineated villages headed by a group or council of elders, with each elder representing each faction (ogbe) or family of the village. Only a few areas of Igboland had kings or 'Igwe' or 'Ezer'. This spirit of equality amongst all men in Igboland accounts for the nature of individualism of its people. No Igbo man bows down to any one. His future nor his success lies in the dictates of the so-called 'king'. He realizes that he is the architect and master of his own future. This same system of governance is practised in the UK today where they have a house of commons made up of members representing each constituency (Chelsea, Manchester, Bolton etc.) in the UK and they operate a equality-based style of government with no so-called leader or 'king'. The UK has no president but a 'prime minister' who is only but a ceremonial head with little or no power. The main power of the UK lies in the house of commons, which is responsible for all decision making processes involving the UK. This government system was adopted in UK in only as recently as in the 14th century, meanwhile ancient Igbo may have been practising it since, at least, from the 10th century. The UK realized very early that the parliamentary system of governance is better than democracy where there is a central leader accorded with so much power and the abuse of power that comes with a single individual too much power, as we can see in the Nigerian example today.

2 Likes

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Ilekeh(f): 4:47am On Mar 11, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Excuse me, you mean the mighty Nri civilization in Igbo land? Or the great Aro traders that were known all over Igboland? Even when the white men came, they didn't find Igboland in that state. So what are you talking about? Or you mean the Nsibidi writing script of southern Igboland where ancient Igbo were already writing scripts? Or the ancient Igbo pyramids?

The Igbo believed and still believe in a parliamentary system of governance, where no person is greater than the other and therefore no one should lord himself over others. The Igbo existed in well-delineated villages headed by a group or council of elders, with each elder representing each faction (ogbe) of the village. Only a few areas of Igboland had kings or 'Igwe' or 'Ezer'. This spirit of equality amongst all men in Igboland accounts for the nature of individualism of its people. No Igbo man bows down to any one. His future nor his success lies in the dictates of the so-called 'king'. He realizes that he is the architect and master of his own future. This same system of governance is practised in the UK today where they have a house of commons made up of members representing each constituency (Chelsea, Manchester, Bolton etc.) in the UK and they operate a equality-based style of government with no so-called leader or 'king'. The UK has no president but a 'prime minister' who is only but a ceremonial head with little or no power. The main power of the UK lies in the house of commons, which is responsible for all decision making processes involving the UK. This government system was adopted in UK in only as recently as in the 14th century, meanwhile ancient Igbo had been practising it since, at least, from the 10th century. The UK realized very early that the parliamentary system of governance is better than democracy where there is a central leader accorded with so much power and the abuse of power that comes with it, as we can see in the Nigerian example today.

Ok, so you were selling the meat you hunted.

That's nice to know.

A system of equality, you say? The Osu people would beg to differ.
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by bigfrancis21: 4:48am On Mar 11, 2015
macof:

But why do u keep trying to use English to make sense out of another language?

Oyin + bo makes perfect sense to anybody that speaks Yoruba, there's no other way of saying it

that's a recent idea you just made up, no people would refer to foreigners the same name they call themselves
And you really need to stop acting like Igbo are people of light skin. Most Igbos are black and only few have "peeled skin" like you have all around southern Nigeria. Difference is Igbos have more compared to their neighbors.
There's no way "o yi ibo"(looks like Ibo) would have been used to refer to Europeans when most Igbos are black and look more like their neighbours than anything from outside sub-Saharan Africa

Onye Ocha is what everybody knows Igbo speakers call Europeans and Light skinned Negros
Just like Yoruba have only word for that which is Oyinbo
You want to say Yorubas didn't know what light skin is before 20th century?

Olaudah said his people were subjects of Bini, Bini call Europeans Oyinbo too, but mostly Ebo
Which could be rendered by Igbos subjects as "O yi Ebo" to refer to the light skinned among them
So it's no surprise Anioma and Anambra people say Oyibo

It could also have spread by Olukumi people in Aniocha delta

U keep saying 17th century, where's the record Igbos used it by that time. The man u quoted from was a slave who's account especially in terms of names and terms were not rendered properly. More so it was in the 18th century nt 17th century

You keep making empty statements without backing them up with any evidence. In the world of academia, academic evidence is key to establishing early origins of words. Olaudah Ekweanuo of blessed memory left behind a wonderful biography detailing the Igbo people of 17th/18th century and left evidence of the usage of 'Oyibo' by the Igbo people as of that period. With no evidence proving the usage of the word by another west african tribe before the 17th century, then that word did most likely originate from Igbo.

Until you are able to furnish evidence supporting your claim, then it is mere wishful thinking.

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by bigfrancis21: 4:50am On Mar 11, 2015
Correction, Edo people pronounce it the proper way = oyibo or ebo.
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Ilekeh(f): 4:52am On Mar 11, 2015
bigfrancis21:

You keep making empty statements without backing them up with any evidence. In the world of academia, academic evidence is key to establishing early origins of words. Olaudah Ekweanuo of blessed memory left behind a wonderful biography detailing the Igbo people of 17th/18th century and left evidence of the usage of 'Oyibo' by the Igbo people as of that period. With no evidence proving the usage of the word by another west african tribe before the 17th century, then that word did most likely originate from Igbo.

Until you are able to furnish evidence supporting your claim, then it is mere wishful thinking.

Yorubas were and are still opened to learning different cultures. Other cultures in Nigeria are also receptive of Yoruba cultures, even if they hate Yorubas. Look at Nigeria today, Yoruba is emphasized in every aspect of Nigeria. Even Ojukwu claims to be "omo Yoruba". Give it 100 more years and you guys will claim wahala as an Igbo word.
Yoruba culture lives beyond Yorubaland and beyond Nigeria and within the heart of Igboland. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by bigfrancis21: 4:58am On Mar 11, 2015
Ilekeh:

Ok, so you were selling the meat you hunted.

That's nice to know.

A system of equality, you say? The Osu people would beg to differ.

Even with the Igbo parliamentary system of government, the Osu were and are still not maltreated in Igboland. They lived life normally just like every other diala of the village only that they did not inter-marry with the dialas. Truthfully, the entire Osu thing in Igboland is over-exaggerated beyond proportions. Personally, I have never come across any Osu in my entire life. It is only on nairaland that you see the Osu system being over-exaggerated. In real life, among Igbos you would hardly see any Igbo person openly discriminating against another for being Osu. A fact which other tribes who have lived with Igbos will attest to. Let me ask you, have you seen any Osu person in your life before? Have you seen an Igbo person openly condemning another Igbo person for being Osu? Then ask yourself, why is it only on nairaland that you see people spreading false news of its purported pervasiveness all over Igboland? Even the Osus don't go around or come to nairaland complaining of a so-called Igbo maltreatment, then one begins to wonder why the issue is being carried as a serious matter by non-Igbos all over Nairaland.

2 Likes

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by bigfrancis21: 5:04am On Mar 11, 2015
Ilekeh:

Yorubas were and are still opened to learning different cultures. Other cultures in Nigeria are also receptive of Yoruba cultures, even if they hate Yorubas. Look at Nigeria today, Yoruba is emphasized in every aspect of Nigeria. Even Ojukwu claims to be "omo Yoruba". Give it 100 more years and you guys will claim wahala as an Igbo word.
Yoruba culture lives beyond Yorubaland and beyond Nigeria and within the heart of Igboland. smiley

Nah. Trouble in Igbo is 'Nsogbu' and when speaking Igbo, Igbos use 'Nsogbu'. 'Wahala' doesn't even fit in Igbo language to start with. In Igbo we say, Nsogbu di (trouble dey) or Nsogbu adiro (trouble no dey). Wahala is only dominant in Pidgin English.

Yoruba is influential in Nigeria, no doubt, owing to the influence and position of Lagos and a great role it has played in Nigeria's economy.

@bold...if that is the case why is your brother finding it difficult to admit that 'Oyibo' might have been adopted by the Yoruba? It has become a de-facto trend of Yorubas that they must be the 'inventors' of any thing Nigerian common all over Nigeria, even when it is glaring that they are not but yet they find it difficult to admit they adopted from other cultures.

2 Likes

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Ilekeh(f): 5:12am On Mar 11, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Even with the Igbo parliamentary system of government, the Osu were and are still not maltreated in Igboland. They lived life normally just like every other diala of the village only that they did not inter-marry with the dialas. Truthfully, the entire Osu thing in Igboland is over-exaggerated beyond proportions. Personally, I have never come across any Osu in my entire life. It is only on nairaland that you see the Osu system being over-exaggerated. In real life, among Igbos you would hardly see any Igbo person openly discriminating against another for being Osu. A fact which other tribes who have lived with Igbos will attest to. Let me ask you, have you seen any Osu person in your life before? Have you seen an Igbo person openly condemning another Igbo person for being Osu? Then ask yourself, why is it only on nairaland that you see people spreading false news of its purpoted pervasiveness all over Igboland? Even the Osus don't go around or come to nairaland complaining of a so-called Igbo maltreatment, then one begins to wonder why the issue is being carried as a serious matter by non-Igbos all over Nairaland.

Lol what do you define as mistreatment? as

Readers, simply Google igbo osu.
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Ilekeh(f): 5:15am On Mar 11, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Nah. Trouble in Igbo is 'Nsogbu' and when speaking Igbo, Igbos use 'Nsogbu'. 'Wahala' doesn't even fit in Igbo language to start with. In Igbo we say, Nsogbu di (trouble dey) or Nsogbu adiro (trouble no dey).

Yoruba is influential in Nigeria, no doubt, owing to the influence and position of Lagos and a great role it has played in Nigeria's economy.

@bold...if that is the case why is your brother finding it difficult to admit that 'Oyibo' might have been adopted by the Yoruba? It has become a de-facto trend of Yorubas that they must be the 'inventors' of any thing Nigerian common all over Nigeria, even when it is glaring that they are not but yet they find it difficult to admit they adopted from other cultures.

Yoruba language has always been equally influential. Oyinbo is a Yoruba word.
You're making claims you can't prove, son.
Even with our close ties with Edo, We have not adopted their language.

Night. Gotta hustle tomorrow morning.
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by bigfrancis21: 5:16am On Mar 11, 2015
Ilekeh:

Lol what do you define as mistreatment? as

Readers, simply Google igbo osu.

I just did and didn't see any 'massive' portrayal of Igbo maltreatment of Osu on google but saw some threads from nairaland which flood the topic on the internet.

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by bigfrancis21: 5:20am On Mar 11, 2015
Ilekeh:

Sure, Oyinbo is Yoruba pronunciation as we know it today. And Oyibo is Igbo. The actual debate here lies in which is the original, which precedes the other, and academic evidence furnished so far proves Oyibo has been older.

I'm sure your brother must have searched the internet furiously searching for just one bit of evidence, even if it is made-up evidence grin to prove his mere wishful thinking but failed woefully to find any.

Don't get me wrong about the Yoruba. I admire the Yoruba for their strong ties to culture. When it comes to culture, give it up to the Yorubas. Each tribe has its uniqueness that makes them stand. For the Yorubas it is culture.

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by bigfrancis21: 5:31am On Mar 11, 2015
Ilekeh:

Mind you, ancient Edo (ruling class) were a royal people and despite aggregrating lands and communities and colonies, they hardly imposed their language on their colonies because they felt it was a royal language to be spoken by the royals only but let the colonized people speak their respective languages, thus limiting the bini language for use mostly in the royal palace of the bini king. The same attitude still exists today among the Edo people who would hardly want to teach you their language.
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by semitunde: 9:49am On Mar 11, 2015
Ilekeh:

It's morning already smiley

I once told a story of when I was in Benue state. Our surveyor was Igbo and had his son become his assistant on site. His son had not been anywhere outside the north and only knows Hausa and Igbo.

One day, as part of conversation, I said "this place nko?" And he asked where I learnt Igbo. He insisted that nko was Igbo ( now spelt nkor). I gave him a lecture and an assignment on the other words he uses.

He, just like most igbos of present generation, learnt spoken language from his parents who had been in the west and were code mixing Yoruba language with even Igbo while he was growing up.

As Igbo in the west pick up Yoruba words and get used to saying them as part of conversation, they pass this way of speaking to younger generation who then thinks all those words are part of their language and that the other tribes are probably the one borrowing theirs.

Many ibos of our parent generation had assimilated the language and culture of Yorubas up to the point that when in a conversation they slot in Yoruba words like " nko, abi, shebi, oya" etc into Igbo conversation and thier kids pick it up.

The entertainment sector doesn't help their cause, as most of the slangs used are Yoruba. Many of them doont know this, and start using them as part of their own language.

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by semitunde: 10:04am On Mar 11, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Mind you, ancient Edo (ruling class) were a royal people and despite aggregrating lands and communities and colonies, they hardly imposed their language on their colonies because they felt it was a royal language to be spoken by the royals only but let the colonized people speak their respective languages, thus limiting the bini language for use mostly in the royal palace of the bini king. The same attitude still exists today among the Edo people who would hardly want to teach you their language.

Not wanting ( or being interested ) to teach a language is quite different from not wanting to impose a language on others. I hope you know that...
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Nobody: 10:49am On Mar 11, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Words have been adopted accross cultures for eons, it does not mean any big deal really. Asides this, Oyi as a word has been used by Yoruba many centuries back and there are records of any interactions between Igbo and Yoruba.

Logically, a group that has recorded a certain height of development with world renowned empires and kingdoms would have developed a meaningfully complete words and language structure for social relations to have achieved those feats as opposed to a group that was still 'nekid' in the forests even in the 19th centuries who would have to develop language structures for social relations to build empires, kindgoms and wear clothes within them.

Have I made sense?

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by bigfrancis21: 1:01pm On Mar 11, 2015
semitunde:

It's morning already smiley

I once told a story of when I was in Benue state. Our surveyor was Igbo and had his son become his assistant on site. His son had not been anywhere outside the north and only knows Hausa and Igbo.

One day, as part of conversation, I said "this place nko?" And he asked where I learnt Igbo. He insisted that nko was Igbo ( now spelt nkor). I gave him a lecture and an assignment on the other words he uses.

He, just like most igbos of present generation, learnt spoken language from his parents who had been in the west and were code mixing Yoruba language with even Igbo while he was growing up.

As Igbo in the west pick up Yoruba words and get used to saying them as part of conversation, they pass this way of speaking to younger generation who then thinks all those words are part of their language and that the other tribes are probably the one borrowing theirs.

Many ibos of our parent generation had assimilated the language and culture of Yorubas up to the point that when in a conversation they slot in Yoruba words like " nko, abi, shebi, oya" etc into Igbo conversation and thier kids pick it up.

The entertainment sector doesn't help their cause, as most of the slangs used are Yoruba. Many of them doont know this, and start using them as part of their own language.

Before 'nko' isn't even Igbo to start with but pidgin english. How is that Igbo? In Igbo, we say 'before kwanu'. 'kwanu' is the Igbo word used for 'emphasis'.

I can give you several examples of Yorubas claiming that 'ogbono', 'okro' etc are Yoruba because they grew up hearing those words as part of daily Yoruba lingo. Your sister IlekehIdi is a prime suspect of this who claimed in the past that those words were Yoruba, while fogetting 'ila', 'apon' etc. until she got lectured on those words.

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by bigfrancis21: 1:07pm On Mar 11, 2015
9jacrip:

Words have been adopted accross cultures for eons, it does not mean any big deal really. Asides this, Oyi as a word has been used by Yoruba many centuries back and there are records of any interactions between Igbo and Yoruba.

Logically, a group that has recorded a certain height of development with world renowned empires and kingdoms would have developed a meaningfully complete words and language structure for social relations to have achieved those feats as opposed to a group that was still 'nekid' in the forests even in the 19th centuries who would have to develop language structures for social relations to build empires, kindgoms and wear clothes within them.

Have I made sense?

Your logic makes absolutely no sense without academic evidence, son. You can't sit in your bedroom and type false statements and expect everyone to believe you. Sorry, but whatever so-called civilization Oyo had never crossed the borders of the more mightier Edo kingdom to get to SE. The civilization whatsoever was checkmated by the greater Edo kingdom of the Niger Delta, which is more known worldwide than Oyo.

Why have you failed to furnish any academic exercise, even if it is half-baked to backup your claim? Why is that difficult for you??

2 Likes

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Ilekeh(f): 1:07pm On Mar 11, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Before 'nko' isn't even Igbo to start with but pidgin english. How is that Igbo? In Igbo, we say 'before kwanu'. 'kwanu' is the Igbo word used for 'emphasis'.

I can give you several examples of Yorubas claiming that 'ogbono', 'okro' etc are Yoruba because they grew up hearing those words as part of daily Yoruba lingo. Your sister IlekehIdi is a prime suspect of this who claimed in the past that those words were Yoruba, while fogetting 'ila', 'apon' etc. until she got lectured on those words.

Are you smoking. Who and who lectured who?
Dude, You Okay?
Oyinbo Is a Yoruba word.
Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by Ilekeh(f): 1:12pm On Mar 11, 2015
Are people actually going around calling "nko " an Igbo word? Lawwwwd have mercy.

1 Like

Re: Oyibo Or Oyinbo..which Of Them Is Correct? by bigfrancis21: 1:20pm On Mar 11, 2015
Ilekeh:
Are people actually going around calling "nko " an Igbo word? Lawwwwd have mercy.

hahaha. Nobody is claiming 'nko, okay? Semitunde, out of desperation, could make anything up, he doesn't even have proof of what he wrote.

Madam, Oyinbo is a Yoruba pronunciation. Nobody is arguing that, ok. I suggest that you read, re-read and re-re-read the topic of the thread to find out what it is about. smiley

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Does Mirror Affect Infants / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) / Oluwo Of Iwo, Akanbi, Dangote And Paddy Adenuga Meet In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.