Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,492 members, 7,830,481 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:10 PM

Afro-Brazilian Woman With Afrocentric Hair Barred From University - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Afro-Brazilian Woman With Afrocentric Hair Barred From University (3963 Views)

Foreigners Will Be Barred From Owning Land In South Africa / Afro-Brazilian Women Repudiate New TV Show / Brazilian Man Buries His Bentley To Use In Afterlife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Afro-Brazilian Woman With Afrocentric Hair Barred From University by AfroBlue(m): 9:17am On Mar 16, 2012
Afro-Brazilian Woman With Afrocentric Hair Barred From University

http://www.dominionofnewyork.com/2012/03/15/afro-brazilian-woman-with-afrocentric-hair-barred-from-university/#.T2Lkm3nlqVo

Brazilian Student Barred Entry to University for Wearing “Black Power” Natural Hairstyle

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2012/03/brazilian-student-barred-entry-to-university-for-wearing-black-power-natural-hairstyle/

Student is barred because of her hair and clothes; accuses school of racism

http://www.blackwomenofbrazil.com/2012/03/student-is-barred-because-of-her-hair.html

[img]http://2.bp..com/-JKwXdO_Y2P8/T2ANe5T65-I/AAAAAAAADUA/Adl_RjZahjU/s320/Ana+Carolina+-+Aluna+%C3%A9+barrada+por+roupa+e+cabelo+e+acusa+escola+de+racismo.jpg[/img]
Ana Carolina (in black top) with her sister

The young Ana Carolina is part of a group that plays African-oriented (Yoruba) music in São Luís. Her dream is to be a sociologist so that she can fight for minorities in the capital city of Maranhão. "When I was barred, my sister cried and I was horrified. A lot of people were looking at me. It was a massacre. I wasn’t start anything. I go to school to be someone in life”, said the student. "I have a black identity and I will not change it,” she added.

[img]http://4.bp..com/-LFI1CC-TZMc/T2ExRw1MYjI/AAAAAAAADUo/cjiwRn9hySE/s320/Ana+Carolina+-+manifesto+3.jpg[/img]
Racism is a crime

[img]http://4.bp..com/-bzPibZOvnUk/T2ExSnB7ikI/AAAAAAAADUw/MtmSxgGUmNg/s320/Ana+Carolina+-+manifesto.jpg[/img]
Re: Afro-Brazilian Woman With Afrocentric Hair Barred From University by cheikh: 12:23am On Mar 17, 2012
@OP
Well, In Brazil despite the large black/African population, there's an inherent hostility and antipathy towards anything African hairdo or Braids. It is considered vulgar or too black for the So called Brazilian psyche. Brazil is truly a horrible place for the Black experience, never mind the general goodwill most people(outsiders) hold for Brazilians. it's a shame indeed.
Re: Afro-Brazilian Woman With Afrocentric Hair Barred From University by Nobody: 12:17am On May 29, 2012
SMH! Since the first Angolan and Congolese Africans touched Brazilian soil as a result of slavery, racism in Brazil against blacks was the way of life. Even today despite the fact that Brazil boasts the country with the largest black population in the "New World", that anti-black fo0lishness is still prevalent. In fact many of them denied being black for a long time. After seeing the "black pride" movements of African Americans and Caribbeans, now Afro. Brazilians realize they are just as important and beautiful as any other race in that country. I am just very proud of them for finally standing up for their rights to be proud of their heritage. smiley

After all, Brazil wouldn't have the spice it does without them. wink
Re: Afro-Brazilian Woman With Afrocentric Hair Barred From University by cheikh: 10:21pm On Jun 01, 2012
MsDarkSkin
SMH! Since the first Angolan and Congolese Africans touched Brazilian soil as a result of slavery, racism in Brazil against blacks was the way of life. Even today despite the fact that Brazil boasts the country with the largest black population in the "New World", that anti-black fo0lishness is still prevalent. In fact many of them denied being black for a long time. After seeing the "black pride" movements of African Americans and Caribbeans, now Afro. Brazilians realize they are just as important and beautiful as any other race in that country. I am just very proud of them for finally standing up for their rights to be proud of their heritage.

After all, Brazil wouldn't have the spice it does without them.
(

@^^ Well, it's kind of difficult for them, given the insidious nature of the latin(Portuguese) oppression they are living under. There is a total blackout of positive foreign(African world) information besides the usual (staples) negative news. The Portuguese language does not lend itself easily to open and easy communication intercourse between the inside(Brazil) and the outside world- especially between our people still held captive in the whole of latin America. The place is truly terrible and difficult for the (Africans) in Brazil and indeed South America. The Caribbean and North America were "lucky" with the impact of Haitian revolution grin cool. Brazil had its own version of internal(African) revolts but they did not have the same kind of far reaching impact like the Haitian revolution locally and internationally too.
Re: Afro-Brazilian Woman With Afrocentric Hair Barred From University by zolzlolz(f): 11:29pm On Jun 02, 2012
So if you let your hair grow naturally, it's a 'Black Power' hairstyle? I'm glad I wasn't born in Brazil. Shame
Re: Afro-Brazilian Woman With Afrocentric Hair Barred From University by cheikh: 11:49pm On Jun 03, 2012
zolzlolz
So if you let your hair grow naturally, it's a 'Black Power' hairstyle? I'm glad I wasn't born in Brazil. Shame

@^^ No sis, it's not about black power or anything political. Brazilians inherently have an aversion for blackness. Even the black people to you and I, would classify/identify their racial origin as anything else but black. The racial classification of citizens(Brazilians) is vast and it is official too. Nobody wants to be classified as Black shocked sad.
Re: Afro-Brazilian Woman With Afrocentric Hair Barred From University by zolzlolz(f): 3:04pm On Jun 04, 2012
But is wearin
cheikh: zolzlolz

@^^ No sis, it's not about black power or anything political. Brazilians inherently have an aversion for blackness. Even the black people to you and I, would classify/identify their racial origin as anything else but black. The racial classification of citizens(Brazilians) is vast and it is official too. Nobody wants to be classified as Black shocked sad.

so since 'black features' like afro hair are looked down upon because it's associated with blackness, wearing your hair natural would be seen as an extreme political statement like black power, right. Which means that if you just want to wear the hair the way God gave you, you would be seen as making a political statement, regardless of whether you are political or apolitical. Which is sad because Brazilians with straight hair can wear their hair the way it is and not be worried about making some sort of statement which is not the same for Brazilians with afro hair. Because blackness is hated so much in the country, wearing an afro is seen as extreme.
Re: Afro-Brazilian Woman With Afrocentric Hair Barred From University by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jun 04, 2012
I once got suspended from school for my hair...

I remember me and my puerto rican friend were once walking into school and down the hallway

We both wore poneytails....

His was long thinner and curly...

mines was more thick blacker and bushy...

The vice Principal Mrs Laws stopped "me" in the hallway...with him walking right next to me

She told me..."son what are you doing?..you cannot wear your hair like that to school"

I asked as a confused boy..."why?....my boy hector is wearing the same poneytail mines is just thicker"

She told me "Hector hair is ok, his is good, yours is not..."

Now keep in mind this woman was in a position of power and she was a very tall seemingly highly educated strong black woman

Yet she is kicking me out of the school because of the way my hair looks....

A Black Woman.

...Crazy Black Betch tried to screw up my mind...lol i keep my hair very very long for that specific reason.

society is always trying to tell certain people what is and is not acceptable.

There is probably more to this story though...because they alSO mention racist clothes...

"BLack Power" is racist......and a form of bigotry

So is profiling textures of Hair LmL
Re: Afro-Brazilian Woman With Afrocentric Hair Barred From University by cheikh: 8:38pm On Jun 04, 2012
zolzlolz
Which means that if you just want to wear the hair the way God gave you, you would be seen as making a political statement, regardless of whether you are political or apolitical. Which is sad because Brazilians with straight hair can wear their hair the way it is and not be worried about making some sort of statement which is not the same for Brazilians with afro hair. Because blackness is hated so much in the country, wearing an afro is seen as extreme.

@^^ Well, it is sad but perhaps your statement may be right in the minds of the uninformed "elite" white Brazilians who invariably are the employers most of the times. Black/Africans are at the bottom of the food chain sadly.

(1) (Reply)

Longest Sniper Kill Ever, Canadian Soldier Kill ISIS Fighter From 2.1mile Away / To Beat Back Poverty, Pay The Poor / What Will America Look Like If Blacks Take Over The Country

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.