Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,446 members, 7,816,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community (9304 Views)

Two Die In Enugu Community Over Adulterous Woman / The Woman I Want To Marry Is A Divorcee With A Kid / Will You Marry Someone Who has been Trained To Kill? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community by mogunremi: 9:58am On Apr 02, 2012
C FOURS - My grandmother is Jewish and married an English man, she was non practising. That makes my Father Jewish by birth (matriachal) She was a Russain/polish Jew caught up in the SWW
My sister converted to Judaism (which took a very long time) She was NOT Jewish by birth as MY mum is not Jewish and married a Jewish husband and they both now live in Israel.
Don't be so rude when you have no idea yourself or where I come from. Where do YOU come from? Do you even know about your history?

I can't be bothered with this stuff really, you have made your point and obviously feeling very inadequate with yourselves. If some of you are worried about Nigerian men running off with foreign woman could it not be yourselves that are to blame?

they are no longer as influential as they were in the past because they have assimilated and blend in with the whites for the most part.

In Numbers 12:1, Moses is recorded as having married a non-Israelite woman who presumably followed a different religion. Aaron and Miriam criticized Moses because of this. God supported Moses' decision. He punished Miriam by making her leprous.

Matthew 1:5: This passage refers, without comment, to the marriage of Salmon, a Jew, and Rahab, a Canaanite. Their great-great grandchild was King David.

Jews were prohibited back then because of the RELIGION not because of race, creed or colour. The Torah is quite specific that a Jew should not marry a non Jew nothing about a white Jew marrying a black Jew.

Jews come from all over the world, they are different in that they do not have one set race between them so comapring them to Nigeria is not quite the same. An English Jew who marries and English Jew would bear little effect on the financial stability of Israel unless the two went to live there. They are a diaspora, scattered around the globe. They may help with Jewish projects in Israel but generally their wealth would be kept within the immediate family.

Speaking of wealth, do not most Nigerians abroad send home to family and friends in Nigeria? probably MORE than they might earn in Nigeria. I know my husband does and he is not even close to his family. Would I ever stop him? Of course not, that is his duty. If I were married to another white person we wouldn't have to worry about sending money home and people asking us to send it would we, so actually we are no better off, in fact it is the families of Nigerians abroad regardless of who they are married to that are better off altogether.
Maybe it is the emphasis on financial gain and pressure on Nigerians to show financial stability that doesn't help the situation. Rules, family name, status, finances - so much boils down to just that (not mentioning keeping the mother in law happy smiley) that I sometimes wonder where love is in all of this.
Of course these are all good things to keep our communities moving, but blaming whites for the problem is not going to make things better over there. Some of you are racist towards your own people and yet you blame the outside community for their racism in the past. Many of you bring in poor girls from the village to work for you and bring up your children do you not? Beating them when they don't do things right? You may not see this as a form of your past but in fact some of you are doing the same to your own people.
If you cannot live in harmony beside each other and treat everyone as equal there is no way you would do so to other races.
I don't see much change in Nigeria since the percentage of nigerians has apparently gone up?

If some of you come and post on a public forum about this kind of thing, it shows how offended you are about members of your race deferring. God knows how possessive you might be in a relationship.
If you were in happy sucessful relationships yourselves, I am sure you would not have the time to poke your noses into other people's, in fact more than likely you would be impartial, even happy for others who have the same joy and fufillment in their lives.
This post stinks of resentment.
I don't care what you call the way you speak about 'whites' but if I would talking about black people the way you are whites I would be called a racist. regardless of our past or present, it spurs hatred and that my friends will spill into your personal lives and relationships because it comes from the heart.

In conclusion, There are mixed race marriages all over the globe. White women don't just marry with Nigerians or Africans you know. Plenty are married to Asians, other europeans,Americans,Australasians and indians. You name it.
We all know that many Nigerians come here and marry whites for visa purposes and papers. AND belive you me so do Nigerian women. I often see a young black,pretty african woman with an old man and although I shouldn't judge it don't seem right to me. But there are also plenty of proffessional, well earning and well meaning people who get married out of their race and lead perfectly sucessful lives and marriages.
There are beautiful, smart, intelligent women in every race, including Nigerians so get used to it!
Sometimes beauty, intelligence and meeting the opposite sex is not enough to make a marriage work.
There will always be racist tendancies in any community towards some people or another. That doesnt mean every individual is racist.
Thank God there are some people on here who can see in another light and are not blinded by what they have been told or feel.
You can fault white women and society as much as you like but you can take the good and leave the bad if you want.
The things we might call illegal you might call acceptable and vice versa.

I hope you don't take any of this personally but you guys really have ruffled my skin as have some other posts on here. I'm clearly in the wrong place, ended up here through an internet search question yesterday and look where it has got me. embarassed

I don't think I or my generation can take responsibility for the past in which we had no dealings with, the same goes for anyone else. You are just breeding a new form of dressed up racial slur. Good luck to you guys because its really changed my attitude towards some things now.

1 Like

Re: Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community by nene1: 6:17pm On Apr 02, 2012
@ maclatunji:

A lot of african muslims who go to hajj of all places complain about the racism they get from Arabs. Malcolm X was light skinned. A black person like say Obama's complexion and one of Wesley Snipes complexion are not going to get the same treatment.
Re: Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community by nene1: 6:21pm On Apr 02, 2012
@ Mogunremi: Yes some Africans are tribalist against other africans just like some Eastern Europeans have issues with each other (remember the ethnic cleanssing in Kosovo?). Anyway,I am not tribalist. Actually Europeans were major instigaators in tribalism when they were using their divide and conquer tactics during colonial rule, but I blame Africans for not being smart enough to free themselves from that backwards mindset and even allowing the Europeans to divide them.
Re: Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community by mogunremi: 6:55pm On Apr 02, 2012
Thats very true Nene. I agree. I just wanted to highlight that racism exists in every place even sometimes in our own countries among our own people. Europe is still a divided constitution. When I was taking about ethnic minorities and mixing in up thread I was referring also to some European people who come and don't speak any English, or bother to intergrate like other peoples. Most of the time nowdays English resentment is aimed at our European neighbours who beacuse they are in Europe have pretty much the same rights and benefits as English people do whether they work or not. Although we have a high number of illegal immigrants here also from Africa and elsewhere, The Africans who do come over here are often in the medical profession, education ect and hold some of the top jobs - They are smart and get where they want to and generally do extremely well. I find that in general these africans tend to keep to marrying partners of their own though and if they do intermarry then they would want you to participate as much as possible in the yoruba tradition. (usually the yoruba families I think)
I think it's possibly the igbo's who tend to intermarry into poorer white families or at least have kids with them without marrying them. forgive me if I'm wrong here please.
Re: Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community by maclatunji: 7:02pm On Apr 02, 2012
nene1: @ maclatunji:

A lot of african muslims who go to hajj of all places complain about the racism they get from Arabs. Malcolm X was light skinned. A black person like say Obama's complexion and one of Wesley Snipes complexion are not going to get the same treatment.

Nene Sweetheart (Joking), why don't you just tell us what you have suffered from in terms of racism? Maybe we can help you heal. I say this because your saying that Malcolm X got good treatment in Mecca because he was 1/4 white smacks of bitterness. Come on, the man was murdered as a black leader and activist, what else did he have to do to be 'truly black
' to you?

When I say he was 1/4 white, I mean his mother had a white father and was of mixed-race.
Re: Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community by nene1: 7:38pm On Apr 02, 2012
I wasn't criticizing Malcolm X or saying he was not truly black. I love Malcolm X. I was talking about how racism is not always about race, but SKIN COLOR, especially outside of the western world. Light skinned blacks are no less black than dark skinned blacks. Don't twist my words please.
Re: Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community by Nobody: 7:51pm On Apr 02, 2012
@Mogunremi
No, you aren't in the wrong place. So get your skin unruffled, pls cheesy. I must confess to you, that your inputs are pretty insightful and well explanatory. Keep it up. Most times it takes those who wear the shoe to know where it hurts. Weldone, you.
Re: Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community by mogunremi: 7:56pm On Apr 02, 2012
Oh thankyou Olowotee smiley Think I was getting more stressed out with the kids and trying to type here at the same time grin
I'm not very good at putting across my words well anyway and then end up rambling on when in fact I am thinking out aloud. Then sometimes I end up thinking something totally different at the end shocked
Re: Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community by maclatunji: 8:09pm On Apr 02, 2012
nene1: I wasn't criticizing Malcolm X or saying he was not truly black. I love Malcolm X. I was talking about how racism is not always about race, but SKIN COLOR, especially outside of the western world. Light skinned blacks are no less black than dark skinned blacks. Don't twist my words please.

I have no intention to twist your words but I will put you on the spot from time-to-time to be sure that you know what some of your posts look like to your readers.

I agree that many people are racist in the western world but don't let them drag you down with them. Now, what happened that hurts you so much? Let us learn from your experience no matter how painful.

Don't for a second think I am trying to ridicule or lampoon you because I am not. It is just in my character to present my points in a very bare and direct manner. I know- it can be harsh sometimes but I carry no mal-intent towards you or anybody else for that matter.

2 Likes

Re: Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community by maclatunji: 8:18pm On Apr 02, 2012
nene1: I wasn't criticizing Malcolm X or saying he was not truly black. I love Malcolm X. I was talking about how racism is not always about race, but SKIN COLOR, especially outside of the western world. Light skinned blacks are no less black than dark skinned blacks. Don't twist my words please.

Sorry, new Nairaland bug.
Re: Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community by chic2pimp(m): 11:48pm On Apr 02, 2012
nene1: .
Also I didn't say ANY black man who married a nonblack woman is a hypocrite. I am taling about the black activists, pro-blacks, and pan africans who marry nonblacks. Is isn't it awkward that the MAJORITY of these men who promote black consciousness and black economic power and unity have white wives and half white families instead. That is just going to turn the next generaton of black people into biracials. How is that promoting black success?

Now this I must say I agree with. They say one thing but their actions clearly demonstrates another. Actions they say speaks louder than words.
Re: Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community by queensmith: 12:05am On Apr 03, 2012
i still think he's a crazy american black man that got overly lost in what he thought was his 'african' identity, like spike lee. . .dear lawd i cannot even BEGIN to talk about spike lee. . .crazy racist man! #

anyways mac we agree to disagree.
Re: Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community by dayokanu(m): 12:31am On Apr 03, 2012
Actually Nene contends that any black man who marries a woman fairer than him, even within his own race is a hypocrite.

So if Jim Iyke should marry Rita Dominic, he is a hypocrite
Re: Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community by nene1: 12:51am On Apr 03, 2012
No dayokanu, I was talking marrying nonblacks not blacks of different shades. I see you want my attention too. Btw, didn't Jim Ike and Rita Dominic date in real life. She is my fav actor.

@ maclatunji: Why are you convinced that I have some personal experience with this? Like I said, why does it have to be personal? I am just bringing to light this FACT that everybody in the world notices.
Re: Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community by maclatunji: 8:46am On Apr 03, 2012
nene1: No dayokanu, I was talking marrying nonblacks not blacks of different shades. I see you want my attention too. Btw, didn't Jim Ike and Rita Dominic date in real life. She is my fav actor.

@ maclatunji: Why are you convinced that I have some personal experience with this? Like I said, why does it have to be personal? I am just bringing to light this FACT that everybody in the world notices.

Now, how did this 'FACT' become 'FACT' to you? Is it not from observation, contemplation and yes experience? Let us be real. For example, why would I complain about Tiger Woods choice of a wife if not because I feel personally slighted by it. The question that follows is: why do I feel slighted? I only feel slighted because I feel threatened or ridiculed? Why do I feel threatened or ridiculed? It is because I feel that I may lose something I find valuable to me. The questions I am now asking you are:

1. What are you afraid of losing?

2. What makes you feel you will lose that object/subject that you value so much?

Nene, these thoughts and ideas didn't enter your head randomly or by accident. I dare say they are there because of experience, it is that experience that pushed you to create this thread and until you face it, we will continue to go in circles on this thread.

Sheesh girl, you are turning me into a psychologist this morning.
Re: Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community by Tgirl4real(f): 12:24pm On Apr 03, 2012
dayokanu: Actually Nene contends that any black man who marries a woman fairer than him, even within his own race is a hypocrite.

So if Jim Iyke should marry Rita Dominic, he is a hypocrite

lol

@ Mac,

Spare nene plz
Re: Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community by mogunremi: 2:18pm On Apr 03, 2012
;DAgree with mac, I think there is a reason for our feelings. Unless people have been brainwashed with ideas which does happen.
I kind of agree that if one race came over here and took all our lovely English men cheesy Women would be quite pissed off, I guess that is only natural. But how many whites really live with their families in Nigeria and bring up their kids there? Not many. The 'results' of this interbreeding are usually confined to western countries no?
Surely if you go to another country to live, there is a high chance you will meet someone from that country.
If I came to live in Nigeria and wouldn't date any black men and just kept looking for a white man that would be a bit weird too wouldn't it?
...........and then I would be called something else because I wouldn't date a black man. We really can't win can we? angry
Once you have been together for a while or are married, skin colour doesn't even come into the mind, unl;ess someone else points it out.
I am much more concerned about his snoring tbh. cheesy
Re: Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community by maclatunji: 3:33pm On Apr 03, 2012
^Ahh, the snoring reminds me of me. To be honest, that is how it should be and it is like that sometimes although not very common. Even a white woman and black lady could be best of friends and understand each other like sisters. At that point, colour is insignificant.
Re: Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community by oyiboonacha: 3:52pm On Apr 03, 2012
Of course mac, My best friend at uni was a girl from Uganda. We shared everything. even though we didn't see eye to eye on many things!
(name changed)
Re: Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community by maclatunji: 4:11pm On Apr 03, 2012
oyiboonacha: Of course mac, My best friend at uni was a girl from Uganda. We shared everything. even though we didn't see eye to eye on many things!
(name changed)

I know, some of us just need to grow up and leave some deeply entrenched positions. I relate with anybody as a person and not as a colour. When you do that, you realize that it is so stupid to be racist. I also know that when one encounters racism it makes one bitter but you shouldn't allow it to consume you!
Re: Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community by nene1: 7:29pm On Apr 03, 2012
Well stop trying to be Dr. Phil Maclatunji.
Re: Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community by nene1: 7:34pm On Apr 03, 2012
I didn't say not to be friends or even marry out of your race. All I was wondering why do black men all of a sudden don't see color when they become rich? I find it hard to believe it is just coincidence. I feel like a white woman seems like an upgrade in their eyes. So it just HAPPENS that when a black man gets rich he falls in love with women who just happen to not be black. I think not. Oh Senegal's presidents just happened to have white wives and a black country just happened to have ALL white first ladies. Please. Like I said, you all need to take off your rose colored glasses. Love DOES see color.
Re: Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community by maclatunji: 7:43pm On Apr 03, 2012
@Nene, I am not trying to be Dr. Whatever. I am just being me tongue .
Re: Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community by maclatunji: 7:43pm On Apr 03, 2012
nene1: I didn't say not to be friends or even marry out of your race. All I was wondering why do black men all of a sudden don't see color when they become rich? I find it hard to believe it is just coincidence. I feel like a white woman seems like an upgrade in their eyes. So it just HAPPENS that when a black man gets rich he falls in love with women who just happen to not be black. I think not. Oh Senegal's presidents just happened to have white wives and a black country just happened to have ALL white first ladies. Please. Like I said, you all need to take off your rose colored glasses. Love DOES see color.

So, I am agreeing with you now. What do you want us to do about it? cheesy
Re: Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community by dayokanu(m): 7:06am On Apr 05, 2012
Watched an Anderson Cooper special on Racism in America just now and a black girl was asked about dating

And she said if she as a black girl dated a white guy, there wont be much issues about it

But if her brother should try to date a white girl, everyone starting from her would raise hell

Maybe these explains why some ppl on this thread are able to explain Why black celebrities women date whites but raise Hell when the black man do the same thing

Do I smell HYPOCRISY?
Re: Who You Marry Is Important For Your Community by cfours: 1:24am On Apr 10, 2012
queensmith: i swear jews are rich because they got restitution from the holocaust? seriously i've missed alot!

hindu's are forbidden intermarriages yet most of them are poor? hmm racism is not good for the thinking. Many people only marry thier brothers and sisters and that does not make thier families rich.

The whole theory in my opinion is bs!

Did you go to school at all?
I usually don't like to bash people but you need to open a book once in a while dearie.
I am in a state of shock that someone could live in the western world and not know a thing about Jewish history or caste system in India.
let's just hope you didn't swear that one on your mother's life.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bride Price In Imo State Now 10,000naira / Husband And Wife Issue / Wake Up! We Need To Talk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.