Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,730 members, 7,817,002 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? (19167 Views)

The 6 Things Graduates Of Nigerian Public Universities Can Never Forget / Assessment Of Nigeria's Universities And Their Hosting Towns And Cities / Names Of Tuition Free Universities In Norway, Canada And Sweden (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by blackboi(m): 7:18am On Mar 20, 2012
Pakavy: wats d capital.of nairaland pls?!

nairalist noni cheesy
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Tolexander: 7:31am On Mar 20, 2012
owo2390: Ile-Ife - Home of Love!

(Not a large city but a quasi-city)

ile- ife is not ilé-ìfé (home of love as u said) but ilè-ífè (expanded land)
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by kwaghe: 7:47am On Mar 20, 2012
KINGwax: there's a school at otta, i think that's the capital
you mean the ambassadors international school.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by cfours: 7:49am On Mar 20, 2012
lol @ capital of Nairaland cheesy
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Tropilo(m): 8:20am On Mar 20, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

Asi ka isili! I will advice you to go to your true elders and ask them what "Igbuzor","Ibussa","Ibuzor" means because most Igbos here know what it means.

Oye isi kedu? Asi rum asi! Ife nma kam kwuru!
Pls if u know a more correct meaning pls, i'll appreciate. Ka Chineke gozie ayin!
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by alex406(m): 8:21am On Mar 20, 2012
Festac means,festival of art and culture.

1 Like

Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Nobody: 8:38am On Mar 20, 2012
I guez its KOBO WATER, heheeheeee
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Sike(m): 8:41am On Mar 20, 2012
omoajiri: OGUN is named after the Ogun river that flows through the state. While ABEOKUTA (the capital) means "under rock" is from the Olumo rock that provided shelter for the first settlers of the area during war.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Tropilo(m): 8:44am On Mar 20, 2012
Its been quite "edu-formative". Ds has been d best post so far. Thanks OP!
:Noticed no one from Borno has come to correct d meaning a chap gave of it (boko haram). I'll therefore attempt.
Borno is from d old Kanem Borno empire ruled by a very flambouyant but courageous king Mansa Musa who was known for his dressing, especially his pants (trousers) that were large and over flowing. This was before Utman Danfodio came with his wahala!
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by achi4u(m): 8:50am On Mar 20, 2012
Tropilo: Its been quite "edu-formative". Ds has been d best post so far. Thanks OP!
:Noticed no one from Borno has come to correct d meaning a chap gave of it (boko haram). I'll therefore attempt.
Borno is from d old Kanem Borno empire ruled by a very flambouyant but courageous king Mansa Musa who was known for his dressing, especially his pants (trousers) that were large and over flowing. This was before Utman Danfodio came with his wahala!
@triopilo,what madurguri?
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by emron1(m): 8:51am On Mar 20, 2012
well mbaise is derived from its five major cities ahiara,ekwereazu,abaaja,azinihite and oke-uvuru it is the most homogenious part of igboland and one of the most densely populated part of igboland. I am proud to be a soin of the country five
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by achi4u(m): 8:52am On Mar 20, 2012
Tropilo: Its been quite "edu-formative". Ds has been d best post so far. Thanks OP!
@triopilo,what of madurguri?
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by yamakuza: 8:57am On Mar 20, 2012

Romania

named after the Romance Section
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by dubem3(m): 9:04am On Mar 20, 2012
emron1: well mbaise is derived from its five major cities ahiara,ekwereazu,abaaja,azinihite and oke-uvuru it is the most homogenious part of igboland and one of the most densely populated part of igboland. I am proud to be a soin of the country five

since not everybody here can read Igbo, may be you could start with telling us that mba-ise means 'five lands' or towns, mba=land,town,place and ise=five before you tell us what towns it is composed of.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Phrankin(m): 9:18am On Mar 20, 2012
charlsecy4:

We are not here for jokes! Must a mess be made out of every thread?
May thunder strike you down there.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by dubem3(m): 9:24am On Mar 20, 2012
NRI PRIEST:

Ok, I see what you meant and I could be wrong but not far from the real meaning but I think you should also correct me if what I had up there is wrong.

But this is how I arrive to the meaning I gave; "nbala" means wide land/open land/farming place. . .nbala could be defined as just a piece of land but its has to do with a very wide/broad/huge/large amount of land. . .Then "oma/omo" means water in some parts of Anambra,especially the northern and central Anambra. Hence my definition. You can also say Omanbala means "the river in a farming land". If anybody have anything different let them post!

it was the reason i didn't post the history in the first place cos i didn't know the final meaning of omambala though your explanation makes some sense but i intend to inquire more.

Njikoka = unity is better
amawbia = home of visitors
oraukwu = big crowd (not too sure sha)
enugwu-ukwu = ontop the big hill/mountain
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by debedebe(m): 9:29am On Mar 20, 2012
is dis a project or wot? I believe d OP must av been given an assignment...lol, but let me try small, ABUJA- means CORRUPTION
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Ijeawele(m): 9:29am On Mar 20, 2012
Tropilo:
Oye isi kedu? Asi rum asi! Ife nma kam kwuru!
Pls if u know a more correct meaning pls, i'll appreciate. Ka Chineke gozie ayin!
.. IBUSA is d British murder of d word "Igbuzo".
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by femicensus: 9:32am On Mar 20, 2012
owo2390: Ile-Ife - Home of Love!

(Not a large city but a quasi-city)

Point of correction 'Ile-Ife' literary meaning is not 'Home of love' as u translated.
However, i don't understand what you mean by 'quasi-city'
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Phrankin(m): 9:37am On Mar 20, 2012
odumchi: Arochukwu means 'God's Spear' in Igbo.
Enugu aka Enu-ugwu means 'top of the hill' in Igbo.
Cross River State was name after the River Cross River.
Abia state is an acronym for its original four LGAs.
Gbam
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Phrankin(m): 9:46am On Mar 20, 2012
dubem3:

it was the reason i didn't post the history in the first place cos i didn't know the final meaning of omambala though your explanation makes some sense but i intend to inquire more.

Njikoka = unity is better
amawbia = home of visitors
oraukwu = big crowd (not too sure sha)
enugwu-ukwu = ontop the big hill/mountain
As a point of correction, Oraukwu=great public/people
enugu ukwu=greater enugu
ama awbia=the area for visitors. You tried anyway. Thanks.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Royalston: 10:02am On Mar 20, 2012
This is nice
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by sexlog(m): 10:04am On Mar 20, 2012
Lagos simply means agbero city.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by dubem3(m): 10:39am On Mar 20, 2012
Ijeawele: .. IBUSA is d British murder of d word "Igbuzo". Which in full is "IGBO BI NUZ0R. It means Igbo pple dat leaves at d roadside.

in this context, 'uzor' does not necessarily mean 'road' but outside Igbo terrain. Its not like am in support of ur version nor am i against it, am just helping to fine tune whatever intepretation we get.

1 Like

Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by dubem3(m): 10:46am On Mar 20, 2012
Phrankin: As a point of correction, Oraukwu=great public/people
enugu ukwu=greater enugu
ama awbia=the area for visitors. You tried anyway. Thanks.

Thanks for the improvement.
For Enugwu-ukwu; ordinarily, ugwu is hill/mountain and enu is top or up hence my interpretation.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Sugardiva(f): 11:13am On Mar 20, 2012
CROSS RIVER is pretty self explanatory. Means Across the river.
CALABAR -The english settlers thot of the area across d calabar river as a CALM BAY. But d natives of adiabo along d calabar river cldnt pronounce it hence d word CALABAR. The popular acronym for CALABAR is COME AND LIVE AND BE AT REST.

In modern times Calabar has been nicknamed CALLY CITY by its loving inhabitants. Number one hotspot for hospitality, tourism, cleanliness and swag in Nigeria. I REP CALLY CITY.

@ OP Wonderrful thread. First thread on NL dt i actually learnt somefing from. Thumbs Up.

1 Like

Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by ayobase(m): 11:14am On Mar 20, 2012

Nairalist!
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by stanleybiggie(m): 11:20am On Mar 20, 2012
Ogun-medicine
Abeokuta-under d rock(olumo)
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by ayobase(m): 11:21am On Mar 20, 2012
Phrankin: May thunder strike you down there.

Why now?
The issue has been settled amicably!
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by ayobase(m): 11:27am On Mar 20, 2012
stanleybiggie: Ogun-medicine
Abeokuta-under d rock(olumo)

hope its not panadol-like medicine u r referring to!
Ogun means god of iron!
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by ayobase(m): 11:34am On Mar 20, 2012
1Dray: Abuja, Suleja, Lokoja are coined from the name of 3 sons of a King, King Ja. The names of his said 3 sons are Abu, Sule and Loko

seriously?
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Ndkings1(m): 11:35am On Mar 20, 2012
Imo state, was named after the Great Imo river which conect to upto the occean.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Unilag. Postgraduate Application Forms, Any News? / NASU, Others Begin Indefinite Strike Action / ASUU Strike: Lecturers Walk Out Of Meeting With Government Delegation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.