Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,878 members, 7,813,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:41 PM

This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) (2220 Views)

Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians / How To Post Youtube Videos On New Nairaland / Nairaland Is The Most Visited Website In Africa... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by Nobody: 9:47pm On Mar 19, 2012
I personally enjoy it because it is fast-loading, i am more after information than design (maybe because i am more of a programmer).
But many developers dont see it that way: I have heard other developers regard is as "weird", "crap", "complete crap", "mad".

And some people have been asking me if i did some work on the new nairaland - no i did not - except to personally study the flaws (for personal purposes).

But i love the mobile experience, i will give a thumbs up for that. But it still has bugs which i feel should be sorted out - i wonder if unit testing was even done.

Now, where is that my friend? doncigalo?
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by DualCore1: 9:52pm On Mar 19, 2012
Just stick with your mobile. I come here now on PC with the view that I am on a mobile site not really meant for PC so I endure it. I think punch or vanguard once portrayed their mobile site as the main desktop version. . . or its still there? Well, this is a mobile site and I believe those it concerns had done their research so as to go on to favor a mobile approach over a desktop approach. Hope this helps their revenues.
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by Nobody: 10:24pm On Mar 19, 2012
I love the way you said that about the site being mobile, well, you are correct. I notice however that when i use some mobile browsers, it still asks me to select wap 1 or wap 2, meanwhile, the full version is mobile.
Anyway, i am still cool with it - it loads fast and i can get whatever i need on time - whether mobile or not.
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by yawatide(f): 10:37am On Mar 20, 2012
I used to visit NL at least once an hour. Since the release of the new NL, I have found it very confusing: hard to read, no "mark as read", hard to follow who is saying what, how many posts, etc. As a result, I visit NL maybe 3ce a day. In fact, this is only my 2nd post since NL was changed.

I know that people are for the most part not used to change and that I am only one person but if I am visiting 3ce a day at the most and have given the new NL 2 weeks and still find it difficult, this might also apply to others. Bottomline: Less page views = less google ad revenues.

Something to think about. . .
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by soloqy: 4:28pm On Mar 20, 2012
yawa-ti-de:
I used to visit NL at least once an hour. Since the release of the new NL, I have found it very confusing: hard to read, no "mark as read", hard to follow who is saying what, how many posts, etc. As a result, I visit NL maybe 3ce a day. In fact, this is only my 2nd post since NL was changed.

I know that people are for the most part not used to change and that I am only one person but if I am visiting 3ce a day at the most and have given the new NL 2 weeks and still find it difficult, this might also apply to others. Bottomline: Less page views = less google ad revenues.

Something to think about. . .

I personally dont enjoy visiting anymore. Like Dual Core said, the owners probably feel they have more visits from mobile devices than from pcs. The issue is not only that its not aesthetically appealing, its not user friendly either.

And it seems that the spams increased tremendously.
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by soloqy: 4:30pm On Mar 20, 2012
Also, is the email topic subscription alert still working? Does one have to do anything else to start receiving it on this new system? undecided
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by yawatide(f): 4:32pm On Mar 20, 2012
Hmm, just because 99% of ppl may come in on mobile doesn't mean you don't cater to the 1% who don't. Ideally, they should redirect mobile users to a mobile version. Regardless, I am not feeling the new format, especially a lack of "mark as read". I don't have time to scroll through every single "new" post. It's killing me. In fact, I am only visiting NL today because this thread caught my fancy.
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by Seun(m): 4:41pm On Mar 20, 2012
@yawa-ti-de: At first I was bewildered by all the random things you typed, but eventually, I figured out what you were trying to say. Your only problem with New Nairaland is the lack of a 'mark as read' feature. We can implement that. It won't be a problem. As a well-respected techie, you should be able to express your desires concisely and accurately in a form that can be acted upon. All the jarasis you added only distracted the reader from the actual issue you're having, which is the lack of the 'mark as read' feature. It has nothing to do with 'mobile'.
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by soloqy: 4:47pm On Mar 20, 2012
Seun: @yawa-ti-de: At first I was bewildered by all the random things you typed, but eventually, I figured out what you were trying to say. Your only problem with New Nairaland is the lack of a 'mark as read' feature. We can implement that. It won't be a problem. As a well-respected techie, you should be able to express your desires concisely and accurately in a form that can be acted upon. All the jarasis you added only distracted the reader from the actual issue you're having, which is the lack of the 'mark as read' feature. It has nothing to do with 'mobile'.

Mine is not only 'mark as read'. Is there a problem with the notification system? I dont get email notifications anymore.

Did you notice the increase in spam topics? What could be the cause?
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by Seun(m): 5:08pm On Mar 20, 2012
Mine is not only 'mark as read'. Is there a problem with the notification system? I don't get email notifications anymore.
Most users don't like email notifications, but we will implement that if we have to.

Did you notice the increase in spam topics? What could be the cause?
There has been no increase in spam topic as a result of the transition to New Nairaland.
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by bros12345: 5:22pm On Mar 20, 2012
i stopped visitin here due to this look
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by yawatide(f): 6:14pm On Mar 20, 2012
As a well-respected techie, you should be able to express your desires concisely and accurately in a form that can be acted upon. All the jarasis you added only distracted the reader from the actual issue you're having, which is the lack of the 'mark as read' feature. It has nothing to do with 'mobile'.

1) Nowhere in any of my posts had I mentioned that my current frustrations with NL has to do with mobile

2) Yes, my main bone of contention is lack of "mark as read". Another is the way posts are listed is making me nauseous, and I say that literally and not insultingly. By the time I get to the 5th or so post, everything comes at me like one long post, and so I stop. Humans read (proven by research) a web page in an "F" pattern. The way the board is now, you have no choice but to read from top to bottom. The book that comes to mind here is, "Don't make me think" by Daniel Krug.

3) My comments may be "jarasis" but as the customer, you have to at least listen without sounding condescending. . .not that I care. I am only looking out for the other folks who may be too intimidated or shy to speak up.

I am not asking or telling you to change anything. It's your website and it's popular to boot. All I am saying is, try and be more receptive to your customers. No one knows tomorrow.
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by sisqology(m): 6:20pm On Mar 20, 2012
"No" to the email notification thing
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by Nobody: 6:54pm On Mar 20, 2012
I personally love the email notification thinggy. What i do is to filter all mails coming from nairaland to a special folder in my yahoo mail so my inbox does not get clogged up - hopefully this may help some people having issues.

For the spam increase, i dont believe there is an increase in spam - the spam bot is still working as before. But now, due to the update, many people are finding it hard to post - so there seem to be reduction in new topics creation and discussion in general - at least on this board.

Aye, the mark as read is important too - it helps me to know who to fire very quickly.

Now, this link gave me some headaches - https://www.nairaland.com/885157/observation-nigerian-webmasters-suck-show/3124 - because i thought the page was still loading - i believe that is a backward compatibility issue.

Then there are also some bug(s) in the registration section (in fact i am still carrying out some investigations on that section - but it seems easier to spam that the previous one - i wonder why - that may also be why someone said spam has increased)
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by Nobody: 6:57pm On Mar 20, 2012
I got a message at some point while creating a topic - that i was creating too much topics - i believe that is an antispam procedure - kudos.

Then i also love the way you guys are commenting on this thread. If you dont like anything, please state reasons as clearly as possible (with as much jarasis as you like too)
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by DualCore1: 6:59pm On Mar 20, 2012
Yawa, I could Google but I am lazy. Please explain the reading in F pattern kini. I am interested in this because I do not read long posts, I have a general phobia for lengthy stuff that isnt a manual or an api documentation.
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by Seun(m): 7:07pm On Mar 20, 2012
The antispam bot issue is real. It started two days ago due to an awful bug that was exposed by a configuration change that should have had nothing to do with the antispam bot. Since then it's not been checking posts, and mods (especially me) have been forced to remove spam posts manually. So sorry about this. The way it was presented, I thought you were saying the spam has increased since we switched to new nairaland, which is false. It started just 2 days ago.
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by DualCore1: 7:19pm On Mar 20, 2012
You should improve your testing and project management skills. We dont know how what we do in public affects what we get in the future.

Listen to the users, they are the ones who use the application.

I really have nothing more to say on this new NL matter cuz I am very convinced this is a mobile site. I use it on my Galaxy tab and the difference is all too clear and I cant see why I should be checking this site on my desktoo. This will kill your revenue because I dont see any ads running while I am on mobile.

I like the "new" image with a backgroud, lets me know threads I have previously posted on and that have new posts.

Peace bro.
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by yamakuza: 7:27pm On Mar 20, 2012
*dhtml:
I personally love the email notification thinggy. What i do is to filter all mails coming from nairaland to a special folder in my yahoo mail so my inbox does not get clogged up - hopefully this may help some people having issues.

For the spam increase, i dont believe there is an increase in spam - the spam bot is still working as before. But now, due to the update, many people are finding it hard to post - so there seem to be reduction in new topics creation and discussion in general - at least on this board.

Aye, the mark as read is important too - it helps me to know who to fire very quickly.

Now, this link gave me some headaches - https://www.nairaland.com/885157/observation-nigerian-webmasters-suck-show/3124 - because i thought the page was still loading - i believe that is a backward compatibility issue.

Then there are also some bug(s) in the registration section (in fact i am still carrying out some investigations on that section - but it seems easier to spam that the previous one - i wonder why - that may also be why someone said spam has increased)

how did u get d link?

That thread doesnt have up to 3124 pages.

It should end in /2 for now.
[s]
On my part, i've been trying to post tips up and down, or answer questions.

I believe people need a comprehensive tutorial thread. Preferably with pictures, before new topics can increase.
[/s]
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by yawatide(f): 7:29pm On Mar 20, 2012
Dual:
Here is one link of several: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/reading_pattern.html
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by DualCore1: 7:32pm On Mar 20, 2012
yamakuza:

how did u get d link?

It has about 6 pages.

New bug lipsrsealed
yamakuza:

how did u get d link?

It has about 6 pages.

New bug: when i click on any of the smileys and the page reloads, it duplicates whatever is already in the textarea.
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by DualCore1: 7:34pm On Mar 20, 2012
yawa-ti-de:
Dual:
Here is one link of several: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/reading_pattern.html
Thanks. I for give you 1 kiss but my post go double up.
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by yamakuza: 7:36pm On Mar 20, 2012
Dual Core:
It has about 6 pages.

New bug lipsrsealed
It has about 6 pages.

New bug: when i click on any of the smileys and the page reloads, it duplicates whatever is already in the textarea.

true that!

I was able to get to page 6 using a trailing /6 in the url
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by yamakuza: 7:41pm On Mar 20, 2012
Dual Core: You should improve your testing and project management skills. We dont know how what we do in public affects what we get in the future.

Listen to the users, they are the ones who use the application.

I really have nothing more to say on this new NL matter cuz I am very convinced this is a mobile site. I use it on my Galaxy tab and the difference is all too clear and I cant see why I should be checking this site on my desktoo. This will kill your revenue because I dont see any ads running while I am on mobile.

I like the "new" image with a backgroud, lets me know threads I have previously posted on and that have new posts.

Peace bro.

do you know that cliking the greenbox around the NEW button takes you down to the last post you read on that thread?
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by Seun(m): 7:42pm On Mar 20, 2012
Of course I will improve my project management skills, because I strive for continual improvement, but you don't seem to be grasping the magnitude of what we've achieved here. We wrote a forum script from scratch in a few months and deployed it on the busiest web forum in Africa, and things have been humming along nicely as if it was a routine UI upgrade. Our untested script goes down less frequently than the average Nigerian bank server, and comes back up in minutes. It's a momentous achievement!There have been mistakes here and there but I can't think of any human endeavor without mistakes. Those mistakes do not in any way diminish the magnitude of our achievement. The Challenger space shuttle exploded with astronauts on board, but we still respect NASA's thorough development process!

That aside, the mobile UI issue is my call. If it's a mistake, it's my mistake. I hereby take responsibility for it. I have limited cognitive and financial resources, so I try to conserve them by making some "lazy" decisions. I just don't see the sense in developing a separate desktop and mobile UI for every new feature. It's not as simple as implementing a different view, because the mobile UI will have different features, which will complicate the entire code-base. If your code-base is too complicated, it becomes more difficult to fix bugs and add new features over time. Simple things are far more manageable on the long run. I also notice that mobile users don't like limited mobile sites. They want to have access to the full features of the site, and that's what we're offering them.
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by yamakuza: 7:59pm On Mar 20, 2012
^ granted. Kudos!

But the PC users claim they generate the revenue since there are no ads on the Mobiles, and so they should be given preferential or at least equal treatment.

I guess they just need reassuring that they wont be sidelined, and that they also will get to enjoy the new NL as much as the mobile users.

A delicate balancing act, i must say!

Una well done. It is not easy.
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by DualCore1: 8:05pm On Mar 20, 2012
No one put you on a race track and neither were you gunning for an award for speed in development. I understand this is done fron scratch, the more reason it should have been open to several tests and releases. If you have chosen to use the whole of nairaland as your test team well you have to scrub the whole forum looking for feedbacks and bug disclosures.

As for the mobile thing, we are all responsible for the choices we make so ride on with your decisions.

I dont know if the dev team was a mix of pros and learners. some areas like the search and backward compatibility with the smf links were so well done that it makes me wonder if it was the same coder that handled the login, registration and exception handling.
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by Nobody: 8:38pm On Mar 20, 2012
Hmmn, thread keeps getting more and more interesting. . . . see pirated unit testers taking the APP APART!!
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by netesy(m): 11:09am On Mar 21, 2012
this new site does not have the simplicity of the old one
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by Nobody: 12:12pm On Mar 21, 2012
^^true that, it is complex, weird and has much bugs - in time, it should improve.

I can't preview my posts. . .
Re: This New Nairaland Is Weird (my Views) by Seun(m): 12:29pm On Mar 21, 2012
What's complex about New Nairaland?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do You Run A Whatsapp Group ?. This App Would Help You Get More People To Join / Elon Musk Changes Twitter Logo / SMF Forum Design Tutorial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.