Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,112 members, 7,814,900 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

How To Start A University Lecturing Career? - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Start A University Lecturing Career? (69813 Views)

Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job / Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University / Lecturing Career. Need Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by pwerrymansion(f): 8:02am On Jun 30, 2015
Am so pleased at this thread T22. Am aspiring to be a lecturer. I graduated from Kwame Nkrumah University of science and tech Ghana. Studied Economics bt wish to get a masters in Logistic and supply chain mgt or procurement mgt funded. I wish to write he GRE exms as well. Pls how do I go about the whole thing? Am married with kids as well. Can we talk outside this forum? Thanks.

1 Like

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Nobody: 3:36pm On Jun 30, 2015
Thank you all for this great eye opener.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by mickey45: 1:30pm On Jul 05, 2015
tanimola22:

Put less emphasis on UK schools. They hardly fund master's.
Send me an email let's discuss there.
I'll appreciate a similar help too
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by endtime1(m): 9:14pm On Jul 05, 2015
gd day pls I had 2.2 in physics electronics with cgpa of 3.46 pls I want to lecture pls which master course can I get scholarship for related to physics
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Chuksemi(m): 12:53am On Jul 06, 2015
Present.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by andonajnr(m): 1:27pm On Jul 11, 2015
Hello guys... I finishd frm Electrical & Electronics with 3.97... Am looking at an Msc in the Electric Energy area. University of Alberta nd Ryerson Uni, both in canada are d schs I want to apply to.
Alberta has got d name, but having gone through both schs, i think Ryerson has a lot more to offer.
My questn is after sch, wld it be easier to get a nice job say frm General Electric with a Ryerson degree dan Alberta... Do dose companies look at names? Or better still proceed to do PHD because I learnt dat doing a PhD is easier, it comes with a lot of funding and d likes.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jul 25, 2015
2rutalk1:
Do Schools in Nigeria consider Msc grade while employing someone as a lecturer, if the person is applying with Msc degree? I finished with 3.01 in my Msc (Economics), which is below the requirement for admission into PhD programme in almost all Nigerian Federal universities . However, I am considering taking up an Assistant Lecturing Job before proceeding to Mphil/PhD. Will my Msc grade affect my chances of getting the job?
Someone please help with an answer to this question. This so much concerns me too.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by owolabiza(m): 3:57pm On Jul 25, 2015
I am a graduate of Statistics from the fUnaab..i finished wit a 2:1 with a cgpa of 3.87..I have passion for furthering my academics outside Nigeria, but i need a scholarship program, any Advice??.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jul 25, 2015
owolabiza:
I am a graduate of Statistics from the fUnaab..i finished wit a 2:1 with a cgpa of 3.87..I have passions for furthering my academics outside Nigeria, but i need a scholarship program, any Advice??.

Write the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
Write the TOEFL
Apply to mid-profile US schools.
Apply for Teaching or research assistantship.

Alternatively, you could harness the few local scholarship opportunities to study in foreign universities.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by igstars(f): 1:08pm On Aug 28, 2015
Good day my elders...
Am interested in lecturing too,
Still an undergraduate tho naija delayed me nd deprived me of ma intended course... I still plan to make it as a lecturer.... Hope you guys can all help see me through.... When its time...
Nice thread tho.

1 Like

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by batero: 6:00pm On Sep 09, 2015
Love this thread.....about to conclude my Msc in University of Ibadan. I also aspire to be a lecturer.....any suggestion for me? Thanks
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by ayokunlei(m): 7:54pm On Sep 11, 2015
readone1:
please i need you to explain to me how is it possible to do your phd immediately after your B.se i am a final year student in one of nigeria foremost university with a cgpa of 4.40 and still hoping to make a first class in physics and i will appreciate other additional information thanks a million times
Hello bro, saw your post in here... Hope you eventually made a first class cool
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by obiuzonwa: 1:41pm On Sep 23, 2015
Please it seems as it stands there are no hopes for Polytechnic and Monotechnic graduates of the country. Please someone respond.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by gidi4ever(m): 10:26am On Oct 29, 2015
D
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by mamacajah: 9:02am On Dec 16, 2015
@tanimola22, I have just glanced some posts here and I see you are the guru of the thread. Please I need some counsel. The plan is to get a PH.D, get some lecturing experience and then return home to a lecturing job.

I want to embark on a career change and switch to teaching. I have a 2.2 in Statistics B.Sc and Merit in Masters (Supply Chain Mgt). I am thinking of going for my PHD in US or Canada. However I don't want to limit myself to these two places.
So my question to you is
(I) which country would you advice ?
(ii) Is it easier to just get he PHD and come back immediately to work or wait and get some teaching experience ?

Any other counsel you could give would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by adavebobo(m): 5:33pm On Dec 16, 2015
this thread is one of the best and most educative i've come bye on this forum. T22 you are a bomb. Thanks so much for your contributions.

I just graduated from Ekiti State University (BSC. Acc) with a CGPA of 3.78, but wants to diversify my scope of learning to another course entirely. My aim is to become a lecturer in Public Admin. I intend to apply for my Masters in this field. Can anyone pls enlighten me on the necessary steps or advice .
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by ogunsinamayowa(m): 6:51pm On Dec 17, 2015
pato405:

@T22: I'm not relegating the quality of your education. you are taking it too personal. we are here to make valid contributions and not sway comments. sometimes people like you push me above the walls to make statements I ought not to make. for instance, here is another fellow researcher in Turkey [ahamdiheme], just the same way I challenged your statements, I also challenged his...but guess what, your approach to the questions have rather been uncouth and your responses garnished with so much resentment. on the other hand, the same question I asked you is the same question I have asked ahamdiheme. unlike you, he clearly pointed out why he will not recommend the UK by pointing out cost of education and the privileges of publication. it's as simple as that. just lay your cards on the table. when it comes to rationalising issues, i just dont know why people take a pugnacious dimension. well, like you rightly pointed out, I dont know you and I dont care to know you - whether you see America as a universe or whatever, go hug a transformer if you cannot engage in intellectual debates.

@ Ahamdiheme:

i must say it's not always the case. for instance, if you explore the opportunities for a scholarship, you may get one. I'm pretty sure about this as I am currently benefiting from one with stipends to go with. I dont pay a dime as tution. meanwhile, it may also amaze you to know that some of these positions get advertised without applicants knowing about it or turning up to receive such grants. sometimes, the problem with prospective researchers is getting the right information and being alert to advertisements for such opportunities particularly students from developing countries. you cannot imagine how much is often set aside to assist students from developing countries via scholarships and grants, but they hardly know about it.

secondly, that you cannot publish as a researcher is a misconception. im currently working towards having 2 publications before im through. again, your final thesis is almost always submitted for a publication if you desire. there are many opportunities for publications here. as a matter of fact, I know of many MSC students with one publication already.one is a friend who finished from Uniben with a first class deegree in mathematics. he subsequently came to the Uk for MSC ; University of Loughborough and made a distinction, he's currrently in his final year PHD [fully funded by the british govt] and already has 2 publications. so please, varify the sources of your information lest you be misguided in your decisions. your PhD thesis, if published [provided you submit it as no one will hold you under duress] will always have your name first, then the name(s) of your supervisor(s).

i will like if you can do us the favour of educating us on how to get information with regard to scholarship opportunities.

1 Like

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by pato405(m): 7:25pm On Dec 17, 2015
ogunsinamayowa:

i will like if you can do us the favour of educating us on how to get information with regard to scholarship opportunities.

I left this thread long ago. anyway, you can pm me and I'll send you some links to sign up on.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by ogunsinamayowa(m): 7:33pm On Dec 17, 2015
pato405:

I left this thread long ago. anyway, you can pm me and I'll send you some links to sign up on.

thanks. i have pm you sir.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by pato405(m): 1:53pm On Dec 18, 2015
ogunsinamayowa:

thanks. i have pm you sir.

Can't find it. Ayway, sign up here: http://www.prospects.ac.uk/.

There's another useful online site, will search for it and get back to you. I found it particularly useful then.

cheers and best of luck..also don't forget to put it in prayers, sometimes NOT by power!
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by ogunsinamayowa(m): 4:52pm On Dec 18, 2015
pato405:

thank you,boss.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Nobody: 10:30am On Dec 19, 2015
this the best career thread here on nairaland nice work to y'll... really appreciate reading. i will love to be enlightened more a lecturing career opportunities/scholarship for a student of religious and african culture. still an undergraduate with an improving good enough G.P.A of 4.46.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by pato405(m): 9:07pm On Dec 19, 2015
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by diggy4real: 4:38am On Dec 20, 2015
pato405:

uwc

also check new calls and apply fast:

http://arts.brighton.ac.uk/research/doctoral-centre-arts/studentships/techne-ahrc-studentships

http://lifeofbreath.org/index.php/2015/12/16/fully-funded-life-of-breath-phd-at-durham-university/

Please Sir.....I intend studying in a US university for MSC program on scholarship......I graduated with 2.47 CGPA mechanical Engineering....... What are my chances? Any site u can direct me to......will be appreciated.

http://scholarshubafrica.com/10326/skoll-mba-scholarship-oxford-university/ (see more on lower right hand corner) cheers!

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by diggy4real: 4:45am On Dec 20, 2015
pato405:

uwc

also check new calls and apply fast:

http://arts.brighton.ac.uk/research/doctoral-centre-arts/studentships/techne-ahrc-studentships

http://lifeofbreath.org/index.php/2015/12/16/fully-funded-life-of-breath-phd-at-durham-university/

Please Sir.....I intend studying in a US university for MSC program on scholarship......I graduated with 2.47 CGPA mechanical Engineering....... What are my chances? Any site u can direct me to......will be appreciated.

http://scholarshubafrica.com/10326/skoll-mba-scholarship-oxford-university/ (see more on lower right hand corner) cheers!

Sir.....I intend going for MSC program on scholarship in the US.... I graduated with 2.47 CGPA mechanical engineering...... Wat are my chances like? Any link to help me out will be appreciated
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by ogunsinamayowa(m): 5:21am On Dec 20, 2015
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by bukatyne(f): 7:58pm On Apr 06, 2016
Woaw!

I practically devoured this thread

Tanimola22 and co are really God sent.

1 Like

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Nobody: 4:33am On Apr 17, 2016
Mcleo007:
@Tanimola, your words are kind and insightful. I will take your advice to heart.
But then, with my BSc, is there a chance I can get a graduate assistant position (unilag in mind). My thought here is, so I can familiarise myself with the academia as I gladly start up my MSc programme? I wouldn't mind taking peanuts as pay, I just enjoy being in school and impacting knowledge. I read philosophy at bsc level and intend continuing in that line.
Thanks
same here o. This guy just read my mind. Am so interested in this.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Nobody: 4:41am On Apr 17, 2016
hopsydboi:
this the best career thread here on nairaland nice work to y'll... really appreciate reading. i will love to be enlightened more a lecturing career opportunities/scholarship for a student of religious and african culture. still an undergraduate with an improving good enough G.P.A of 4.46.
same here bro. Religious and cultural studies. Heard lecturing jobs are quite easy in that department cause few people actually go for the course
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Apr 17, 2016
pato405:

to the above statement in RED

1. I have not generalised in anyway. this is a qualitative dialogue and i've just interpreted your comments. there's no generalisation in qualitative approach [rule of thumb] mind you. I'm equally sure I've not drawn wrong inferences from your transcript. you clearly advised prospective researchers to steer clear without stating valid reasons. as a researcher, I'll label you as being biased. your likes will sample data to suit the end result they wish to achieve. objectivity will eventually get defeated - and this a typical reflection of the kind of studies we have back home. you have extended such prejudice to this forum. I challenge you once again to summarily state valid reasons buttressed with sufficient evidence why you will NOT recommend the Uk.

2. your second statement highlighted in red sounds so nebulous. the UK is known for outstanding journals and publications. go check the world best universities and see how UK universities compete keenly for top posts with American UNis. mind you, the Uk isn't a continent and north America is one . yet, their impact in standardised education is felt not just in Europe, but all over the world. I'm not advertising UK schools, I'm just being objective based on experience.

Beautiful.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Nobody: 7:11am On May 03, 2016
same here bro. Religious and cultural studies. Heard lecturing jobs are quite easy in that department cause few people actually go for the course
actually making enquiry for a friend. but I think it has more number of people than the job it can offer. so far o think you have to be sound in contemporary religion and social research, and them proficiency in either Arabic or Greek will give u an advantage

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Experience After Working For About Five Years. / Police Women From Countries Worldwide (photos) / Need Your Assistant ! Motivation Letter For Admission Into Master’s Degree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.