Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,639 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:28 PM

Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here - Career (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here (160934 Views)

Anatomy?,physiology?,or Medical Biochem? HELP!!! / **New**Opportunity for PHYSIOLOGY ,HUMAN ANATOMY and other BSc Graduates / Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Olumayor0rigina: 3:35pm On Jan 09, 2017
Well, let me contribute to this trend. Yes, in Nigeria and most developing countries, Physiology, anatomy and other basic medical sciences are seen and taught as a pure science without impartation of specific skills. I remember in 2014, during the annual scientific conference of physiological society of Nigeria (PSN), two papers were presented which centered on the formulation of curriculum that will help graduates of physiology have specific skills right at undergraduate level which will be adopted by all schools that train B.SC physiology graduates. I was surprised that one of the renown professor of physiology rose against the move claiming that the current curriculum is suitable for research and that he sees a physiologist as more of a researcher than clinician and that any one who wishes to become professional can do that postgraduate. My question was can every student become researcher and how many research institutes do we have in Nigeria to employ our graduates. The response of this man showed that the problem the medical science has is not caused by Nigeria government alone but it is due to failure of the professional body to form a body of skills which will be acceptable in all physiologist producing schools in Nigeria.
Let me also educate you about what professionalism means because I discover some people believe anatomy and physiology are not professional courses. This is not true. A professional is some one who applies a body of skills he/she has acquired to solve problem. As a physiologist even currently in Nigeria, you will be put through the following skills
(a) (Blood and body fluid) PCV, ESR, WBC, RBC, Blood group determination, HB
(b) (Cardiovascular system) ECG, Blood pressure measurements
(c) (Respiratory system) Spirometry, PEFR,
(d) (Digestive system) Determination of secretion rate of digestive juice,
(e) (Renal system) urinalysis,
The problem with physiology education is that the course, despite the aforementioned skills, is not handled the way other courses like MLS and Nursing are handled and there is no unified requirement of a physiologist as a professional. We have suggested the introduction of exercise physiology and electrophysiology into physiology curriculum and training so that graduates can come out either as exercise physiologists or electrophysiologists all to no avail. Let us pray it will work one of these days. Lastly, let me also mention that sub-professionalism is not peculiar to Anatomy and Physiology alone, pure sciences like physics, chemistry and a highly hyped engineering courses also share the bane. The solution to the problem is good university/industry collaboration and good university funding. Thanks

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by EbonyCy(f): 12:42pm On Apr 27, 2017
Interesting thread...wish I stumbled across this earlier,in would have known my fate...its 7years since I graduated from anatomy(3rd class) I haven't worked aside the teaching in schools...I am just confused,I wasted my time...

1 Like

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by peacesamuel94(m): 11:03pm On Apr 27, 2017
most of the posts on this thread made me come to the conclusion that Nigeria is the way it is, because the youths have refused to think outside the box, our thinking only revolves around what jobs the government can give us and nothing else.

Despite the derogatory opinions i've read about Anatomy, my passion for the course has not changed , though I'm still a fresher I hope to come out not just with good grades but to make a difference, by implementing ideas that we create jobs for others rather than wait for the government.

4 Likes

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by triplec93(m): 10:47am On Jul 03, 2017
Please can one get an IVF ART training in Nigeria? if so, please where.
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by triplec93(m): 10:49am On Jul 03, 2017
Please can one have an ART IVF training in Nigeria, if so where?.
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by jobbers: 11:41am On Jul 03, 2017
ok
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by klassykute(m): 11:01pm On Jul 28, 2017
Liverpoolfc:
Human physiology is supposed to be one of the best basic medical course bt in nigeria, it has nt gain recognition as it is often ommitted in course of study list, e.g in navy and airforce form. Let physiologist come together to discuss the way forward and link a fellow up in available job.
im going into physiology dis year please can u tell mi sm course i will be facing during my 100lv
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Sard(m): 7:23am On Jul 29, 2017
klassykute:
im going into physiology dis year please can u tell mi sm course i will be facing during my 100lv
If I were you, I would rather prepare and write UTME again to gain admission into medicine, mls, physiotherapy or nursing. You've a better prospect when you do one of those courses.
Physiology, as a course in Nigeria, is almost irrelevant. You will likely need a second degree to be relevant in any sector.

4 Likes

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Liverpoolfc(m): 9:46pm On Jul 29, 2017
klassykute:
basic science and mth
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by klassykute(m): 8:46am On Jul 30, 2017
Liverpoolfc:
basic science and mth
sm1 adviced me not to go into it. Cos there is no or little recognition in naija
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Liverpoolfc(m): 2:22pm On Jul 30, 2017
klassykute:
sm1 adviced me not to go into it. Cos there is no or little recognition in naija
the course is good if you understand the lectures. Today, graduates from the course are medical sales representative of pharmaceutical company.
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by sparkle2k3: 4:29pm On Sep 06, 2017
klassykute:

First why are you going into physiology?
I'm guessing you're wanted medicine but didn't get it? If yes I would suggest you repeat jamb and get in directly to medicine. Or get into a predegree medicine program that will guarantee you entry into medicine.

I graduated from physiology 10years ago. Went on and did medicine later on.
Physiology is a great course but not useful in Nigeria .
I personally won't advice any one to do it in Nigeria except you plan to be a physiology lecturer or will go further outside and maybe go into research.

1 Like

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 2:32pm On Nov 30, 2017
Liverpoolfc:
the course is good if you understand the lectures. Today, graduates from the course are medical sales representative of pharmaceutical company.
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by afolayanvictor: 6:46pm On Dec 12, 2017
Please what textbooks can you my seniors recommend for me, I'm a fresher 100level student of physiology
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by EbonyCy(f): 10:30pm On Dec 12, 2017
afolayanvictor:
Please what textbooks can you my seniors recommend for me, I'm a fresher 100level student of physiology

Essential physiology, very clear and explanatory,I prefer it to all others.... though there is another by guyton & hall

1 Like

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 12:46pm On Dec 22, 2017
Liverpoolfc:
What did you just say? Better don't mislead them. Because you are a medical sales rep doesnt mean everyone will. Moreover how much is your salary sef and you are there happy. Physiology and anatomy is very very very useless. Overseas, its even a branch of biology. When you have pure biologist where will a physiologist or anatomist stand. That course is a career destroyer. Many graduates are into taloring or fashion designing as they will like to call it. Many are teaching. Its just useless. If you say you wan use BMS chop you are jonzing.

11 Likes

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 9:39pm On Dec 30, 2017

What did you just say? Better don't mislead them. Because you are a medical sales rep doesnt mean everyone will. Moreover how much is your salary sef and you are there happy. Physiology and anatomy is very very very useless. Overseas, its even a branch of biology. When you have pure biologist where will a physiologist or anatomist stand. That course is a career destroyer. Many graduates are into taloring or fashion designing as they will like to call it. Many are teaching. Its just useless. If you say you wan use BMS chop you are jonzing.
Hi trying to go 4 m.sc in pharmacology?
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by NwaChibuzor13: 10:24pm On Dec 30, 2017
Ikio:
Hi trying to go 4 m.sc in pharmacology?
Except I want to deceive you, pharmacology sef nor be here but its still a better option. The job prospect are a lil bit better compared to physiology but your best bet is becoming a lecturer in the field. Good luck and God bless
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Vman1(m): 12:42am On Apr 09, 2018
Winners72:
Guys, I am a gradute of university of ilorin anatomy dept. I graduated more dan 5 years now but no job. The only tin that is left for me is to go and prepare for jamb. There is no future in those useless paramedical courses. Its high time time we stopped deciving ourselves, expect by the grace of God, else one cannot do any thing with a degree in those courses. Infact, go to google and search, you will discover that the problem is not only peculier to nigerians but all over the world.
I am disappointed cos I was deceived to study the fake course despite reading like a mad man and graduated with a fantastic grade. Pls my pple, go and obtain a direct entry form or anoda jamb and fill in a better course. I tell you, its far better cos one will just sit @ home doing nofin till eternity. I have said my piece oooooooo. You may fink jamb is a long process but if you'd done dat all these while you would have had more hope by now.
No future in paramedics period.

Does it mean that the course is useless?
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by kowalsky: 3:15am On Apr 09, 2018
Vman1:

Does it mean that the course is useless?

Yes
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 10:51am On Oct 12, 2018
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Onyii90(f): 11:34am On Jun 11, 2019
This thread shouldn't die pls.. Let help one another.. I'm a graduate of human Anatomy from OOU.. As a matter of fact, was national v.p for anatomy students during my time.. Its my opinion that this course should be scrapped alongside physiology.. Pharmacology is the only BMS course with a lil opportunity.. Only veery few have been able to do something with the anatomy degree... I went for my MSC but stopped along the line.. My mates that were Ble to complete it are trying to secure lecturing job at same school were they had their degrees but very difficult..

2 Likes

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Dotman23(m): 10:07am On Aug 30, 2019
This is serious
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Khayfresh01: 7:31pm On Sep 19, 2019
Hello brothers/ and sister. Is this thread still alive? I need an advice pls
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Khayfresh01: 8:15pm On Sep 19, 2019
Liverpoolfc. And titifunm. Please can I get your contacts am really in need of such an experience people like you with all this threads
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by ibukun17: 7:53am On Sep 25, 2019
Please, I've been offered admission to study anatomy. Should I go ahead and accept it cos it's all I've got this year
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Madeu(m): 10:28am On Sep 25, 2019
Khayfresh01:
Liverpoolfc. And titifunm. Please can I get your contacts am really in need of such an experience people like you with all this threads
let your issue be know.
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Madeu(m): 10:30am On Sep 25, 2019
ibukun17:
Please, I've been offered admission to study anatomy. Should I go ahead and accept it cos it's all I've got this year
well accept it since that's all you got this year. If you had other options I would have said you go for it.
what University?
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Invalid1: 1:43pm On Oct 22, 2019
I hope this thread is still alive though..just so we all know anatomy, physiology,and biochemistry are all courses that one must choose from and graduate with a cgpa of 3.5 before one can be given admission to study medicine in UK..I don't think this courses should be tarnished..I'm a fresher studying physiology after which I'll study medicine ND sug. Science oriented courses are courses one must have passion for. For those who want to study physiology I wish u luck but you'll have to further your study before you'll be offered a job
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by alphabbey1(m): 8:57am On Oct 25, 2019
Larryzeez:

every profession has dier own problems. bt one is still preferable compare to odas. I can still survive mbbs problems compare to anatomy or oda BMS courses
Certainly. BMS courses aren't in any way close to MBBS standard...

2 Likes

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Adeola1122: 11:28am On Dec 07, 2019
Thanks for sharing pros and cons of studying both courses but can anyone volunteer to create either whatsapp/telegram group for better discussion and enlightment from the biggs in the house.
In case my no is 08101835659

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Enquiries: Chartered Institute Of Personnel Management [CIPM] Membership / Nigerian Army Direct Short Service Commission (DSSC) Out. Register Online / Oil Workers Zone.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.