Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,989 members, 7,821,447 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:05 PM

Anatomy?,physiology?,or Medical Biochem? HELP!!! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Anatomy?,physiology?,or Medical Biochem? HELP!!! (18200 Views)

**New**Opportunity for PHYSIOLOGY ,HUMAN ANATOMY and other BSc Graduates / Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here / Is It Wrong To Study Human Physiology? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anatomy?,physiology?,or Medical Biochem? HELP!!! by GoldenPenny(f): 9:09pm On Oct 04, 2014
I'm a jambite who wants to choose UNIBEN.but the problem here is that I'm confused about what course to choose between Anatomy,PHYSIOLOGY,and Medical biochem Please guys, i really need ur advice on these three courses. 1.which do u think is best among the three 2.what do they do 3.their job opportunity
Re: Anatomy?,physiology?,or Medical Biochem? HELP!!! by GoldenPenny(f): 9:11pm On Oct 04, 2014
Tags: xfire ,
Re: Anatomy?,physiology?,or Medical Biochem? HELP!!! by PROCTOR: 9:28pm On Oct 04, 2014
Do a little research about the courses
it all depends on what u want and ur passion
Re: Anatomy?,physiology?,or Medical Biochem? HELP!!! by xfire: 12:53am On Oct 05, 2014
GoldenPenny:
Tags: xfire ,
You have tagged me. cheesy. Though I am an engineer, you want me to go on a foray into the medical world? Ok o. I got to know a little about anatomy, physiology and biochemistry in my year 1 and 2, as I had roommates who were medical students. They usually take those 3 courses in their 2nd year.

I will tell you the little I know. Hopefully, other medical professionals (like pricelessmr) will give you a helping hand and even correct me where I may have veered off:

Anatomy is the branch of biological science that studies the physical structure and shape of plants, animals and other organisms. It deals with the structural organization of living things. It is divided mainly into 2 - plant and animal anatomy. I believe you are more interested in human anatomy which the study of the physical structure of humans (bones, respiratory system, immune system, circulatory system, nervous system, etc.) It is almost inseparable from physiology which is the study of functioning of living things - deals with the way the living things function such as metabolism, respiration and reproduction, rather than with their shape or structure (which is anatomy). Physiology can somewhat be called 'functional anatomy'.
Anatomists and Physiologists can work in almost the same places - hospitals, research centers and academic institutions. Though due to the nature of the courses (which are branches of science), I think it is easier for them to get jobs in research centres, government agencies and academic institutions than in medical hospitals and facilities. In advance countries, they can work in biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries too. I do not think it is easy to stand alone as an anatomist or physiologist.

Medical biochemistry is also another branch of biological/medical science that deals with biochemistry and metabolism of human health and disease. Medical biochemists study the causes of disease and possible treatment/therapeutic options. Medical biochemists can easily work as a lab technician in a clinical biochemistry lab. They can also work in hospitals, biotechnology firms, pharmaceutical industries, research and academic institutions. A medical biochemists can be consultant and can even stand alone by setting up a medical laboratory.

On which one you should choose, I can not decide that for you. I have laid down all the major facts I know about the 3 courses. You have to make that decision yourself.

You may also find this thread useful:

www.nairaland.com/898487/human-anatomy-physiology-graduates-lets

Cheers.....!
Re: Anatomy?,physiology?,or Medical Biochem? HELP!!! by GoldenPenny(f): 6:27am On Oct 05, 2014
xfire:

You have tagged me. cheesy. Though I am an engineer, you want me to go on a foray into the medical world? Ok o. I got to know a little about anatomy, physiology and biochemistry in my year 1 and 2, as I had roommates who were medical students. They usually take those 3 courses in their 2nd year.

I will tell you the little I know. Hopefully, other medical professionals (like pricelessmr) will give you a helping hand and even correct me where I may have veered off:

Anatomy is the branch of biological science that studies the physical structure and shape of plants, animals and other organisms. It deals with the structural organization of living things. It is divided mainly into 2 - plant and animal anatomy. I believe you are more interested in human anatomy which the study of the physical structure of humans (bones, respiratory system, immune system, circulatory system, nervous system, etc.) It is almost inseparable from physiology which is the study of functioning of living things - deals with the way the living things function such as metabolism, respiration and reproduction, rather than with their shape or structure (which is anatomy). Physiology can somewhat be called 'functional anatomy'.
Anatomists and Physiologists can work in almost the same places - hospitals, research centers and academic institutions. Though due to the nature of the courses (which are branches of science), I think it is easier for them to get jobs in research centres, government agencies and academic institutions than in medical hospitals and facilities. In advance countries, they can work in biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries too. I do not think it is easy to stand alone as an anatomist or physiologist.

Medical biochemistry is also another branch of biological/medical science that deals with biochemistry and metabolism of human health and disease. Medical biochemists study the causes of disease and possible treatment/therapeutic options. Medical biochemists can easily work as a lab technician in a clinical biochemistry lab. They can also work in hospitals, biotechnology firms, pharmaceutical industries, research and academic institutions. A medical biochemists can be consultant and can even stand alone by setting up a medical laboratory.

On which one you should choose, I can not decide that for you. I have laid down all the major facts I know about the 3 courses. You have to make that decision yourself.

You may also find this thread useful:

www.nairaland.com/898487/human-anatomy-physiology-graduates-lets

Cheers.....!
Thank you very much sir.
Re: Anatomy?,physiology?,or Medical Biochem? HELP!!! by Coldplay007(f): 2:06pm On Oct 05, 2014
Well.. I might just be able to advise you.. grin
I'm a med doc, started out in bsc anatomy and I crossed to medicine in 200L (it was possible in those days, almost impossible now)..
The only place anatomy and physiology is applicable is in academics.. Job opportunities for grads of both courses are few and far in between.. You can't work in a hospital lab or anywhere else in the hospital... In fact medical schools prefer lecturers teaching medical students to be med docs.. so they will prefer to appoint a doc as a lecturer teaching anatomy than a graduate of anatomy (ironic)..
Pls dive your medical biochemiStry! The annoying thing about anat and physio is that you will do the same course as docs, go through the same stress and sometimes do the same tests, yet you are regarded as 2nd class citizens..
It will take a strong will for a grad of physio or anat to graduate without a low self esteem/ inferiority complex...

2 Likes

Re: Anatomy?,physiology?,or Medical Biochem? HELP!!! by GoldenPenny(f): 8:48pm On Oct 05, 2014
Coldplay007:
I'm a med doc, started out in bsc anatomy and I crossed to medicine in 200L (it was possible in those days, almost impossible now)..
The only place anatomy and physiology is applicable is in academics.. Job opportunities for grads of both courses are few and far in between.. You can't work in a hospital lab or anywhere else in the hospital... In fact medical schools prefer lecturers teaching medical students to be med docs.. so they will prefer to appoint a doc as a lecturer teaching anatomy than a graduate of anatomy (ironic)..
Pls dive your medical biochemiStry! The annoying thing about anat and physio is that you will do the same course as docs, go through the same stress and sometimes do the same tests, yet you are regarded as 2nd class citizens..
It will take a strong will for a grad of physio or anat to graduate without a low self esteem/ inferiority complex...
wow! Thank u very much,you have been of great help
Re: Anatomy?,physiology?,or Medical Biochem? HELP!!! by smartdave1: 10:30pm On Oct 05, 2014
xfire:

You have tagged me. cheesy. Though I am an engineer, you want me to go on a foray into the medical world?
Pls sir, i'd love to know in details the difference between B.tech and B.eng as they both are types of degree awarded an engineer graduate.

Sorry that i'm bringing this issue here.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Anatomy?,physiology?,or Medical Biochem? HELP!!! by smartdave1: 12:17am On Oct 06, 2014
xfire:

You have tagged me. cheesy. Though I am an engineer
pls sir, what is/are the career prospect for biomedical engineers in nigeria
Re: Anatomy?,physiology?,or Medical Biochem? HELP!!! by Nobody: 1:23am On Oct 06, 2014
Coldplay007:

Best advice!
Re: Anatomy?,physiology?,or Medical Biochem? HELP!!! by pricelessmr: 12:59pm On Oct 06, 2014
GoldenPenny:
I'm a jambite who wants to choose UNIBEN.but the problem here is that I'm confused about what course to choose between Anatomy,PHYSIOLOGY,and Medical biochem Please guys, i really need ur advice on these three courses. 1.which do u think is best among the three 2.what do they do 3.their job opportunity

Xfire and co have advised you very well.

If you are comfortable with chemistry : Chemical pathways, compounds, elements, reactions and some calculation, choose Medical Biochemistry. It has better prospect and wider scope of practice especially in Bio-Products/ biotechnology industries. Like the other two, you can work in research institution / Academia..

A good number of doctors are doing MSc in Anatomy and Physiology, making it even difficult for graduates of Anatomy and Physiology.

Whichever one you eventually settle for, a PhD will make you relevant.
Re: Anatomy?,physiology?,or Medical Biochem? HELP!!! by profemoral(m): 12:31pm On Oct 07, 2014
I am a graduate of anatomy with a bachelors and masters degree... still hoping for job. infact I have applied for PhD too.

job opportunity in anatomy is very very limited and too many discrimination from fellow medical personnel.

I think its better u go for courses like radiography, physiotherapy or medical lab.
Re: Anatomy?,physiology?,or Medical Biochem? HELP!!! by Coldplay007(f): 12:56pm On Oct 07, 2014
profemoral:
I am a graduate of anatomy with a bachelors and masters degree... still hoping for job. infact I have applied for PhD too.

job opportunity in anatomy is very very limited and too many discrimination from fellow medical personnel.

I think its better u go for courses like radiography, physiotherapy or medical lab.

Instead of a PHD, do an MPH.... then volunteer in an NGO.... thank me later....
Re: Anatomy?,physiology?,or Medical Biochem? HELP!!! by marvelling(m): 7:20am On Oct 08, 2014
Please don't go for any of them! If you want to do a
medical related course either choose medicine &
surgery, pharmacy, physiotherapy, nursing or medical
laboratory science. These courses train you to be a
functional part of the healthcare delivery system
Anatomy, physiology & medical biochemistry are all
under the basic medical sciences. The primary focus of
these courses is research. The only thing they teach
you how to do is research (you are trained to be a
medical research scientist). its not a bad thing though,
but considering the present economic realities in
nigeria and the current trends in the nigerian labour
market, its advisable for you to go for a professional
undergraduate course (like the ones I listed above). If
you don't mind having a career as a research scientist
in nigeria then you can go for any of them, but don't
allow yourself to come under the delusion that you'll
be employed to be part of the healthcare delivery team
with a bsc in any of these courses.
Re: Anatomy?,physiology?,or Medical Biochem? HELP!!! by trent9002(m): 7:41am On Oct 08, 2014
GoldenPenny.:
girl. Run. Anatomy is a bad idea in nigeria. Zero to little job opportunity. Biochemistry is ok. Not great but ok. Infact I will advice u to avoid basic medical science courses as a whole. That field is a dead end in nigeria. I don't think there is any functioning medical research institute in naija

1 Like

Re: Anatomy?,physiology?,or Medical Biochem? HELP!!! by medpren: 4:08pm On Nov 12, 2015
Are you a Graduate of Physiology, Anatomy, Biochemistry or any other BMS discipline? Learn to become an entrepreneur with your BMS knowledge.
Your knowledge is valuable.

The best way to guarantee your future is to create it- Stephen .G. Haines
Re: Anatomy?,physiology?,or Medical Biochem? HELP!!! by Koboseadotorg(m): 9:09pm On Nov 12, 2015
Coldplay007:
Hi sis,
I (male)just got admission to study Nursing.
If I secure a job in the hospital after graduation, will it give my the chance to go out and pursue Mbbs ?
Thanks in advance for your reply
Re: Anatomy?,physiology?,or Medical Biochem? HELP!!! by Nobody: 4:42pm On Nov 26, 2017
xfire:

Anatomy is the branch of biological science that studies the physical structure and shape of plants, animals and other organisms. It deals with the structural organization of living things. It is divided mainly into 2 - plant and animal anatomy. I believe you are more interested in human anatomy which the study of the physical structure of humans (bones, respiratory system, immune system, circulatory system, nervous system, etc.)
can you tell me job opportunities for physiology in developed countries?

(1) (Reply)

Things You Should Never Say To Your Employees. / Company Worker Arrested For Threatening To Kill Promoted Colleague, Children / "3 Weeks After Reporting A Much Older Coworker, I Was Fired From My Job" - Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.