Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,942 members, 7,952,795 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:17 AM

If You Were Mr President Today,how Will You Handle Corruption - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If You Were Mr President Today,how Will You Handle Corruption (5381 Views)

Okonjo-iweala Advises On How To Handle Corruption / No Programme Of Event Has Been Scheduled For Osinbajo As Acting President- Today / Buhari Meets With Obanikoro, Issoufou, Niger President Today In Abuja [photos[ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Were Mr President Today,how Will You Handle Corruption by Mamajama(m): 1:51am On Dec 31, 2007
Please leave TAFA alone. una want kill the man, lol
Re: If You Were Mr President Today,how Will You Handle Corruption by astronp7(m): 2:04am On Dec 31, 2007
I now see why in Nigeria we keep on having leaders that will come kill, destroy all we ever archieved. Because all these kill and drop will never solve the problem of Nigeria. At the end its still the poor that will suffer. The rich will find their way out of it. They can reform these money while other funds are hiding in other peoples account.

I will forgive the past. But it will be an abomination to loot the nations tresures. All the funds that are always stolen can then be channelled into making the citizens proud to be Nigerians. Light, shelter, food, enterprise, school, roads, technology, art, accountability, justice, equity, etc. If you commit an offence you will get fare hearing, if you are guilty, you regret living in Nigeria!
Re: If You Were Mr President Today,how Will You Handle Corruption by linuxuser(m): 8:08pm On Dec 31, 2007
I will first of all order the immediate arrest and detention of IBB, OBJ, Abdul Salam, Buhari, What ever is the remnant of Abacha Family, All Governors that have served under OBJ, all ministers that server under IBB, all administrators that served under IBB, Abdul Salami, Sonekan. All of them must declare their assets and the source of their incomes.

I will then make Ribadu the IG and El Rufai the Minister of Energy and will make the current head of this anti drug something the Finance Minister. I will make the CBN independent. I will make EFCC and ICPC to be independent. I will declare immediate war on Power. The minister must make sure Nigeria have stable power within 2 years.

I will look again at the suggestion of BigB1. I will borrow some of the ones I strongly feel is borne out of sincerity and not sentiment and petty sympathy for any one, it does not matter who it is. I will then do an appraisal every 3 months and then go from there.
Re: If You Were Mr President Today,how Will You Handle Corruption by ochiaha1(m): 10:48am On Nov 05, 2009
I will adopt a-stick-and-a-carrot approach to tackle the problem of corruption.

First, there will be leadership by example. I will set-up a Restitution Fund where all those who had looted the treasury, including myself,  in the time past can come and pay back the money they had earlier stolen so that their conscience can be assuged. The lat Gen.Murtala Mohammed did this by selling the houses he acquired through corrupt means and paying the money back into the treasury. Many other Nigerians followed suit as one of them later confessed , a retired Ambassador, that they knew Gen.Mohammed  was serious and so decided to emulate him.

Social Security schemes will be set up for the unemployed and old people will get old people allowance with free health-care so that no Nigerian will say that fear of hunger or tommorrow was responsible for their being corrupt.

Govt. will participate in Job creation for the masses through undertaking giant projects that will have multiplier effect on the economy and also educate the masses on the opportunities available through e-commerce.

Moral instructions will be taught at all school levels to teach Nigerians that it pays to be upright; patriotism and leadership studies will also be taught at those levels.

The rule of law will be impartially applied as the Judiciary will be empowered to act rightly, and quickly too,  in handing out severe sentences on corruption cases, no matter whose ox is gored. This will serve as a detterant to would-be corrupt people.
Re: If You Were Mr President Today,how Will You Handle Corruption by kodewrita(m): 2:20pm On Dec 20, 2010
[list]
[li]Declare my assets publicly including the sources and if possible release a clear autobiography explaining in detail how I got rich and how I campaigned for power[/li]
[li]Get the constitution altered and wipe out the tier of government called the local government council (That is the purest form of corruption in nigeria). Let each state arrange its people the way it wants. Said arrangements have a four-year tenure and can be extended if necessary.FG will not be responsible for funding this tier but the state will simply fund it as necessary out of their own pockets[/li]
[li]Eliminate the scourge called constituency projects in NAssembly. they should focus on laws and leave anything called execution. [/li]
[li]Privatise all government parastatals except those necessary for national defense. Top of the list{NIPOST, NITEL+MTEL,NEPA}[/li]
[li]Make the contracting process for FG, NDDC and MDG contracts transparent to the public.[/li]
[li]Perform an audit of all unfinished projects due to incompetence/fraud in the last 16 years and create a massive blacklist of individuals and persons. Said persons will be given a grace period of 18 months to complete projects after which a 4-year suspension on all companies either directly or indirectly linked to them will be in effect.[/li]
[li]Disengage the government from direct running of all sports teams. Any sports that does not possess the required passion, followership and commercial sponsorship to support itself should be allowed to die. the era of corruption in the name of sports is gone[/li]
[li]Institute an investigation through the SSS into the oil bunkering particularly the NNPC and swiftly round-up any involved people.[/li]
[li]Make use of prepaid electricity meters mandatory (places pressure on end-users to fight for the meters)[/li]
[li]Create a Special Corruption Offences Act that makes certain crimes punishable by 18 years imprisonment
[list]
[li]Selling an electricity meter at inflated prices [/li]
[li]Collecting inflated rates for any government tariffs[/li]
[li]bypassing an electricity meter[/li]
[li]unauthorised opening of a mailbox belonging to another person[/li]
[li]Alteration/attempted alteration of academic records by employee of an examinations council[/li]
[li]Vandalisation/Attempted vandalisation of petroleum pipelines[/li]
[li]Usurping/attempted usurpation of government facilities for personal use.[/li]
[li]Conniving with third parties to inflate costs above MEMA(Most Expensive Market Alternative) of items in government contracts[/li]
[li]Embezzlement of Federal Funds[/li]
[/list]

For the last  3,  in addition, the government shall recover said funds from all owned property directly or indirectly connected , with interest calculated based on MRR rates from the time of said incident.
[/li]

[/list]

Excerpts from Kodewrita for President Manifesto 2023

(1) (2) (Reply)

Learn From The Arab Uprisings, OBJ To ‘sit-tight Leaders’ In Africa / 15 Russian Sailors Granted Bail / Man Sentenced To Death For Farting In Mosque

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.