Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,976 members, 7,952,937 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:46 AM

Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill (4776 Views)

Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment / Buhari Lobbies N’assembly On Passage Of 2016 Budget / Railways: Jonathan Lacked Vision –obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by Beaf: 2:46pm On Mar 28, 2012
[size=14pt]Transport minister promises quick passage of Railway Bill[/size]
Wednesday, 28 March 2012

The Minister of Transport, Senator Idris Audu Umar, has assured that the Railway Amendment Bill would be given accelerated attention and passage by the National Assembly.

The minister gave the assurance on Monday, while speaking as chief guest, at a three-day conference organised by the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport Africa Forum, which took place in Rockview Hotel, Abuja.

Pointing out that the passage of the bill, which is currently before the lawmakers was in the overall interest of the country, the minister said he was prepared to use his influence as a senator, if need be to lobby his colleagues to ensure that the bill was passed during his tenure as minister.

He expressed his conviction that the passage of the bill would become the only panacea that would open the rail transport sub-sector up for private-investor participation, boost rail transport development and use across board by Nigerians, noting that this might not be possible until an enabling environment which the amendment targetted was provided.

Chaired by an Ibadan High Chief, Adebayo Sarumi, the dignitaries at the conference include the President, CILT International, Professor Allan Waller; the President, CILT Nigeria, Emeritus Professor Michael Filani; the Vice-President, CILT Int’l and Chairman, Africa Forum, Mr Teete Owusu-Nortey.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/38335-transport-minister-promises-quick-passage-of-railway-bill-
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by kokoA(m): 2:56pm On Mar 28, 2012
I hope it won't turn to another PIB in the National Assembly? These law makers only know how to debate on useless bills e.g homo-sexual bill, night travel bill and to intimidate head of government parastatals who refuse to give them bribe. They never spend their time on working on bills such as this one. So, Mr. Minister I will not believe you.
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by Kobojunkie: 3:22pm On Mar 28, 2012
Almost a year into the new year(after election of last year), we are still getting nothing but promises from the president's cabinet? Na wa oo!!
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by emmysam2: 3:45pm On Mar 28, 2012
I throw up each time i hear Nigeria's idea of Revamping the railway system in Nigeria. Has any one seen the recent trains they purchased for this project? 1975 Indian "Junk" Technology trains! Whereas economies have gone so far in railway systems ( with China recently launching 520km/hr speed trains), Nigerian government are busying themselves celebrating their backwardness. Imagine the China trains that can travel from Lagos- Abuja in about 2hrs, how drastically it will change the economy!
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by globalaid(m): 4:06pm On Mar 28, 2012
useless talk. Talk is cheap. This government is only about talk and talk.
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by belovedaja(m): 4:08pm On Mar 28, 2012
I have been watching and still watching GEJ and cabinent members
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by Beaf: 4:13pm On Mar 28, 2012
This is the sort of move we need. It should be supported.
It is important that the FG loosens its grip on every strategic sector of the economy: first PHCN, oil is in the process, rail etc. These things should be handed over to states and the private sector. Slowly, but surely GEJ is weakening the FG and moving us closer to true federalism.

Nice.
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by oradee: 4:13pm On Mar 28, 2012
PLEASE WHERE ARE THE PALLIATIVE BUSES

been on the look out for them...or have they been swept under the carpet
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by AZeD1(m): 4:35pm On Mar 28, 2012
oradee: PLEASE WHERE ARE THE PALLIATIVE BUSES

been on the look out for them...or have they been swept under the carpet
They will arrive in 2015 just before elections
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by AZeD1(m): 4:38pm On Mar 28, 2012
Beaf: This is the sort of move we need. It should be supported.
It is important that the FG loosens its grip on every strategic sector of the economy: first PHCN, oil is in the process, rail etc. These things should be handed over to states and the private sector. Slowly, but surely GEJ is weakening the FG and moving us closer to true federalism.

Nice.
I will write a program that does "xyz" is different from i'm currently writing a program that does "xyz". GEJ/His cabinet is still on the i will part, when will they move to the i am part
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by babaowo: 4:52pm On Mar 28, 2012
emmysam2: I throw up each time i hear Nigeria's idea of Revamping the railway system in Nigeria. Has any one seen the recent trains they purchased for this project? 1975 Indian "Junk" Technology trains! Whereas economies have gone so far in railway systems ( with China recently launching 520km/hr speed trains), Nigerian government are busying themselves celebrating their backwardness. Imagine the China trains that can travel from Lagos- Abuja in about 2hrs, how drastically it will change the economy!
....... They are promising their families and subordinates.
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by Beaf: 4:57pm On Mar 28, 2012
A-ZeD:

I will write a program that does "xyz" is different from i'm currently writing a program that does "xyz". GEJ/His cabinet is still on the i will part, when will they move to the i am part

I am sure you xyz programme requires planning and time, not magic or witchcraft. Statements like the above have no meaning and are best not uttered.
More positive folk would be thinking about how to presure their reps and senators, instead of making negative statements that have no foundation in logic.

1 Like

Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by laykhorn(m): 5:07pm On Mar 28, 2012
we just keep hearing things like this without actions.we're sick of promises and no actions, we're notable for doing things on paper too, i purpotedly think we shouldnt be paper tiger and or just do it for doing sake.let's also be aware of this ephemeral capital project we run in Nigeria.
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by oradee: 5:12pm On Mar 28, 2012
Beaf:

I am sure you xyz programme requires planning and time, not magic or witchcraft. Statements like the above have no meaning and are best not uttered.
More positive folk would be thinking about how to presure their reps and senators, instead of making negative statements that have no foundation in logic.

and the palliative buses??

Dont tell me they are still planning on how to distribute them months after their promise... grin grin
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by playboy19(m): 5:51pm On Mar 28, 2012
You can hate on Nigeria's past and present governments all you want, but, one thing you can't take away from them is, they are masters at delivering "Promises". All of them grin grin grin
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by Beaf: 6:20pm On Mar 28, 2012
oradee:

and the palliative buses??

Dont tell me they are still planning on how to distribute them months after their promise... grin grin

Why not ask about boats and aeroplanes too when the topic is trains?
Stop having an accident with logic.
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by MrH2: 6:43pm On Mar 28, 2012
Nice move by d GEJ led gvt. If d previous gvts av gone tru ds part, we could nt av been talkn of
New train lines, we couldv only b talkn of maintaining d ones we alrdy have.
Let's pray it works out.
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by tunde1200(m): 8:12pm On Mar 28, 2012
emmysam2: I throw up each time i hear Nigeria's idea of Revamping the railway system in Nigeria. Has any one seen the recent trains they purchased for this project? 1975 Indian "Junk" Technology trains! Whereas economies have gone so far in railway systems ( with China recently launching 520km/hr speed trains), Nigerian government are busying themselves celebrating their backwardness. Imagine the China trains that can travel from Lagos- Abuja in about 2hrs, how drastically it will change the economy!

same story all the time when are we going to wake up
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by emsquare(m): 8:50pm On Mar 28, 2012
globalaid: useless talk. Talk is cheap. This government is only about talk and talk.

Hmmmm!!!
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by thehomer: 9:03pm On Mar 28, 2012
Is Nigeria ready to start building train carriages and engines? Otherwise what would happen is that people would simply be buying old technology rather than investing in developing local opportunities for technology improvement and development.
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by Nobody: 10:21pm On Mar 28, 2012
thehomer: Is Nigeria ready to start building train carriages and engines? Otherwise what would happen is that people would simply be buying old technology rather than investing in developing local opportunities for technology improvement and development.
As long as trains are concerned, Nigerian investors can only afford old technology. We can't even operate electric trains and for modern train technology, the infrastructure and market that will make it possible is not even in west Africa. These are projects that take half a century or more to develop. Let's start with our diesel and coal powered trains and expand coverage nationwide then gradually improve technology. ℓ̊ personally do not believe Nigeria is light years away from having workers in lagos come from delta, edo even abuja in only an hour. Like someone suggested, guess its Pastor Bakare, Nigeria should sell oil for infrastructural development while government is run on whatever is left, with that we could even develop a tube and a full robust rail system in 10 years without debt.
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by ak47mann(m): 11:02pm On Mar 28, 2012
i wonder when nigeria will reach this level this is virgin train ,i took these train from euston station to Birmingham that is like from lagos to benin in 1hr very comfortable with A/C/ and toilets and very fast is a speed train it has first class like they do in airplane just beautiful and u can book tickets online;things like these makes me feel sorry for people of nigeria the country is too backward and they dont even know......
SEE
http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/trains/
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by ak47mann(m): 11:05pm On Mar 28, 2012
RESTAURANT INSIDE THE TRAIN

Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by dont8(m): 11:13pm On Mar 28, 2012
globalaid: useless talk. Talk is cheap. This government is only about talk and talk.
My brother, talk is really cheap and also free by GEJ's cabinent.
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by dont8(m): 11:18pm On Mar 28, 2012

Nice.
In your dream! Good policy - Implementation = ?
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by Beaf: 11:24pm On Mar 28, 2012
dont8:
In your dream! Good policy - Implementation = ?

Do you oppose private ownership of trains and rail lines?
I find a lot of the responses to be incogent and directionless.
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:06am On Mar 29, 2012
as much as all the talk of private partnership bla bla bla is good, which i do subscribe to

i still have to raise the salient point that WHAT DOES THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT DO?

what do they spend all our money on, if practically every sector is left to individuals to run, power deregulated, fuel, water, transport, health heck name it, its deregulated. I AM MY OWN PROVIDER FOR EVERYTHING I USE/NEED DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY. even road sef is now deregulated, abi the lekki toll debacle no be private deregulation. security sef, tompolo is guarding the waterways grin grin grin grin grin i hire security guards, OPC and vigilantes to guard my home!!
[size=18pt]
WHAT DOES THE GOVERNMENT DO?[/size]

but im sure u will still ask me to pay taxes? for what na? what do u spend it on?

moreover why is the government that large, why do dey earn so much, what do they do?

do we even need a government anymore?

THIS IS GETTING MORE RIDICULOUS BY THE DAY

NB @ Beaf,

It is important that the[b] FG[/b] loosens its grip on every strategic sector of the economy: first PHCN, oil is in the process, rail etc. These things should be handed over to states and the private sector. Slowly, but surely GEJ is weakening the FG and moving us closer to true federalism.

Nice.

the parts i highlighted stands reason on its head as usual

how is giving up the economy to PRIVATE HANDS true federalism? i must have missed that part in government/political science lectures.
is federalism not about the components states/political units?
the article did not say giving it to states, it said private individuals.

are private individuals federating components?

be not too quick to sound ignorant in your misconceived support for GEJ, what u pple are doing is simply mortaging the country to individuals.

and i am wont to repeat again, WHAT IS THE POINT TO OUR GOVT, WHAT DO THEY DO?

1 Like

Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by AZeD1(m): 10:02am On Mar 29, 2012
Beaf:

11 months into this administration, they are still planning...If you add GEJ's I.T year, it makes 2 years.
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by oradee: 11:13am On Mar 29, 2012
Beaf:

Why not ask about boats and aeroplanes too when the topic is trains?
Stop having an accident with logic.

well his administration never promised us Palliative boats and aeroplanes...or cant ur ''mentor'' be held by his words?
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by emsquare(m): 12:06pm On Mar 29, 2012
Kobojunkie: Almost a year into the new year(after election of last year), we are still getting nothing but promises from the president's cabinet? Na wa oo!!

Very annoying!
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by kokoA(m): 12:34pm On Mar 29, 2012
The only promise this adminstration have ever kept is the removal of fuel subsidy.
Re: Private Sector Railways - Minister Promises Quick Passage Of Railway Bill by Cholls(m): 10:15pm On Apr 09, 2022
emmysam2:
I throw up each time i hear Nigeria's idea of Revamping the railway system in Nigeria. Has any one seen the recent trains they purchased for this project? 1975 Indian "Junk" Technology trains! Whereas economies have gone so far in railway systems ( with China recently launching 520km/hr speed trains), Nigerian government are busying themselves celebrating their backwardness. Imagine the China trains that can travel from Lagos- Abuja in about 2hrs, how drastically it will change the economy!
My brother where are you now

(1) (Reply)

“ekiti Broke Due To Fayemi’s Recklessness”–pdp / BREAKING NEWS: Borno State Deputy Governor, Zanna Umar Mustapha Is Dead! / Senate Screens Magu Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.