Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:50 AM

Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? (4362 Views)

Poll: What is your stance on the separation of Church and State?

Me likey!: 63% (23 votes)
Me no likey!: 27% (10 votes)
@OP god go punish you!: 8% (3 votes)
This poll has ended

The Asaba Central Hospital And State Library Complex Projects By Okowa / APC Vows To Win All 36 National And State Assemblies Seats In Rivers Re-run / Salaries Of Federal And State Legislators - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by Nobody: 7:01pm On Mar 28, 2012
The concept of the separation of church and state refers to the distance in the relationship between organized religion and the nation state .
The concept of separation has been adopted in a number of countries, to varying degrees depending on the applicable legal structures and prevalent views toward the proper role of religionin society. A similar but typically stricter principle of laïcité has been applied in France and Turkey , while some socially secularized countries such as Norway , Denmark and the UK have maintained constitutional recognition of an official state religion. The concept parallels various other international social and political ideas, including secularism , disestablishment , religious liberty , and religious pluralism . Whitman (2009) observes that in many European countries, the state has, over the centuries, taken over the social roles of the church, leading to a generally secularized public sphere.
The degree of separation varies from total separation mandated by a constitution , to an official religion with total prohibition of the practice of any other religion, as in the Maldives
_
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_church_and_state
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by Callotti: 7:05pm On Mar 28, 2012
Abso-phocking-lutely! Religion has no place in government. No society progressed with religion in the state of governmental affairs.
Me likey!

1. No one religion can cater to suit ALL.
2. Religion does not address the needs of minorities.
3. Religion is more punitive than progressive.
4. Too many religions to acknowledge.
5. With the 'finicky' nature of God and the portrayal of 'God' through the eyes of the 'religious'. . .we may have waaaaaaaay too many witches to burn. Lord help us! ADULTERERS TOO! May the heavens forbid religion in government!
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Mar 28, 2012
Lol!
I agree with you man! And the sooner they're divorced the better. Esp. in Nigeria.
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by Nobody: 8:49am On Mar 29, 2012
C'mon guys! Contribute!
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by Nobody: 8:56am On Mar 29, 2012
in the northern part of Nigeria Mosques are absolutely an integral part of state! to be a good governor in the north you must build or renovate a Mosque! Why must that of the Church be different?
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by Callotti: 8:58am On Mar 29, 2012
Too many things don happen jare. NL is dying a natural death from hate. Not to mention e bad belle and e jolosi. grin
The 'curse' of haterzzzzz and tribalists have to be cleansed. It happened on other Nigerian websites and messageboards.
The place don dry like kpanla.
Loving it! Payment for injustice over the years!
Yeaaaaaaah!!!! cool
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by LogicMind: 9:58am On Mar 29, 2012
SimonAndal: C'mon guys! Contribute!

the new nl is not motivating. sorry.
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by LogicMind: 10:00am On Mar 29, 2012
Callotti: Too many things don happen jare. NL is dying a natural death from hate. Not to mention e bad belle and e jolosi. grin
The 'curse' of haterzzzzz and tribalists have to be cleansed. It happened on other Nigerian websites and messageboards.
The place don dry like kpanla.
Loving it! Payment for injustice over the years!
Yeaaaaaaah!!!! cool

nl is killing itself alone. bias and foolish changes.
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by PBundles(m): 10:04am On Mar 29, 2012
Seperation of religion and the state is an intergral component for the development of nation. Furthermore it can even be argued that if not done, is supressive, discrimanatory and counter productive. If one just looks at the christian religion, there are many divisions even among the protestants and catholics. In other words if you choose not to seperate, which religion becomes the benchmark. If Im not mistaken the constitutions gives right to freedom of religion thus how would one incorporate? Even Jesus said give to Ceaser what belongs to Ceaser. Government is one thing religion is another. I perosonally feel that religion has weighed way to heavy in the governance of Nigeria. The main issue there being that many countries who follow Islam have it incorporated in their government, so there is no seperation. So we are at crossroads once again. Certain regions (south and west) may agree where as others (North) may not. Back to square one.
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by daywatcher: 10:05am On Mar 29, 2012
To me o, the answer is a resounding YES. church is for Christians, mosque is for Muslims, shrine is for those that believe in traditional practice,whereas state is for everybody regardless of religious beliefs.
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by Nobody: 10:06am On Mar 29, 2012
cogitoErgo: in the northern part of Nigeria Mosques are absolutely an integral part of state! to be a good governor in the north you must build or renovate a Mosque! Why must that of the Church be different?
_
"Church" doesn't mean the christian church. It mean religion in general.
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by 9jafreak: 10:36am On Mar 29, 2012
[size=16pt]1. Constitutionally, Nigeria is a secular and NOT a religious state. But inculturation and indoctrination mean religion still continues to play a crucial part in National discourse.

2. The 'Religious God/god' seats very deep in the Nigerian collective consciousness. The reason is simple:
'Organized Religion' emboldens Capitalism, exploitation and tyranny. And it doubles by functioning as a 'balm' and 'hope' for those who are oppressed and exploited!

3. Perhaps the real challenge is how to separate 'God' ('The One') from Organized Religion.

Sadly that day may not come in our era.
[/size]
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by chreldb(m): 10:40am On Mar 29, 2012
SimonAndal:
_
"Church" doesn't mean the christian church. It mean religion in general.

Nevertheless he has a good point.
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by Nobody: 10:43am On Mar 29, 2012
He doesn't have any point. Like Callotti said, no one religion can cater to everyone, esp. minorities.
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by AZeD1(m): 11:06am On Mar 29, 2012
I'm a christain but i will support a ban on religion in Nigeria.....
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by jimjones: 11:08am On Mar 29, 2012
what the fc.uk is church?
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by okemmadu(m): 11:37am On Mar 29, 2012
Take it or leave it. No nation can survive without God.
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by emsquare(m): 11:41am On Mar 29, 2012
SimonAndal: Lol!
I agree with you man! And the sooner they're divorced the better. Esp. in Nigeria.

Word!!!
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by kokoA(m): 11:45am On Mar 29, 2012
okemmadu: Take it or leave it. No nation can survive without God.

Religion and God are completely different. Religion blinds you from seeing what God (Love) actually is that is why we Nigerians are the most religious people on earth yet and the most 'ungodly' people at thesame time.
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by PBundles(m): 11:49am On Mar 29, 2012
okemmadu: Take it or leave it. No nation can survive without God.

And you have eluded EXACTLY to the problem at hand. I will not get into a discussion concerning religion or your beliefs as I respect that, but which God are you talking about? You do realise that there are many titles and interpretations for God. So what if those in Government agree with you, that a nation cannot survive with God, but adopt say an Indian God (Shiva) is that ok with you?
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by chreldb(m): 11:50am On Mar 29, 2012
@op
My bad i was actually referring to bay watchers post. I thought that is the one you replied.
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by okemmadu(m): 11:53am On Mar 29, 2012
kokoA:

Religion and God are completely different. Religion blinds you from seeing what God (Love) actually is that is why we Nigerians are the most religious people on earth yet and the most 'ungodly' people at thesame time.

Hmmmm. Tell me if Jesus Christ brought religion into the world or he brought love? u hav a point. undecided
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by naijaforlife: 11:53am On Mar 29, 2012
No qualms as long as the two divides know their limitations and complement each other. The state takes care of the 'mechanics' and the church/mosque takes care of the 'spirit'.
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:58am On Mar 29, 2012
Yes I support it!!

Otherwise, we should merge both Church, mosque and shrine to state. .
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by Skii(m): 12:01pm On Mar 29, 2012
9jafreak: [size=16pt]
2. The 'Religious God/god' seats very deep in the Nigerian collective consciousness. The reason is simple:
'Organized Religion' emboldens Capitalism, exploitation and tyranny for the unoppressed and unexploited. And it doubles by functioning as a 'balm' and 'hope' for those who are oppressed and exploited!

[/size]
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by lahips: 12:03pm On Mar 29, 2012
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by emmysam2: 12:06pm On Mar 29, 2012
A-ZeD:
I'm a christain but i will support a ban on religion in Nigeria.....

Where will that leave you?
Are you sure you are a Christian?

Assuming religion is banned in Nigeria as you suggest, When you fill a form, where you have the column "Religion" what will you (in person) put?
You are sure kidding me!!!!
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by emmysam2: 12:09pm On Mar 29, 2012
jim jones: what the fc.uk is church?

There are no such dirty phrase associated with "church".
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by kokoA(m): 12:14pm On Mar 29, 2012
okemmadu:

Hmmmm. Tell me if Jesus Christ brought religion into the world or he brought love? u hav a point. undecided

Jesus christ did not bring any religion to the world. He came into the world and he was doing good to all that came his way while preaching his father's messege. He encouraged people that believed in him to also do good to everybody (Not to be Religious). This thing called religion is a creation of men, just to intimidate others and stop them from logical thinking. If the so called christian in Nigeria can do half of what Jesus did, we would having a better country that what we have now.
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by okemmadu(m): 12:15pm On Mar 29, 2012
The fact is that any religion that cannot make positive impact on society and improve the standard of living is useless. Religious organization can do better than govt. if they know what they r supposed to do.
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by bigshow123: 12:18pm On Mar 29, 2012
cogitoErgo: in the northern part of Nigeria Mosques are absolutely an integral part of state! to be a good governor in the north you must build or renovate a Mosque! Why must that of the Church be different?

use ur assertion here to judge the level of development albeit north and south.
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Mar 29, 2012
Jesus our examplar had his own view when it comes to that. In fact we learned from him in three different occasions, namely; when he was offered the worldly rulership by satan(mathew 4:8-11), when he was compelled by the Jews to become their king(John 6:10-15) and whenthe disciples of the pharisees who favorved independence from Roman Empire, joined by Herodians, members of a political party favoring Rome, approached him(mark 12:13-17).

(1) (2) (Reply)

Leader Of Adamawa Vigilante Group That Help Rescue Mubi Arrested / The Real Picture Revealing The Magic Of Sitting On Air(photos) / Tag This Amaechi Pic While Whispering To PMB And The Look From The Whiteman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.