Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,663 members, 7,837,458 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 02:53 AM

Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? (4375 Views)

Poll: What is your stance on the separation of Church and State?

Me likey!: 63% (23 votes)
Me no likey!: 27% (10 votes)
@OP god go punish you!: 8% (3 votes)
This poll has ended

The Asaba Central Hospital And State Library Complex Projects By Okowa / APC Vows To Win All 36 National And State Assemblies Seats In Rivers Re-run / Salaries Of Federal And State Legislators - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by enzyme9: 2:19pm On Mar 29, 2012
we d muslims wil neva abandon our islam. God knows best of how we supos 2 liv in ths temporary world datz y he revealvd d Qur'an 2 guides us in our daily lyf. U as a christian hav d ryt 2 leav ur own. But 4 us wheather u say we are brainwashed or indoctrinatd or wat eva, u wl get tired n leav us. Thank u
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Mar 29, 2012
The separation of Church and State does not mean you should abandon your faith. It means that religion, and the constitution should not go hand-in-hand. Your religion might tell you to stone me for adultery, but my religion allows for adultery. What should be done?
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by Ribaman(m): 2:31pm On Mar 29, 2012
The Englightenment allowed the European countries to become what they are today. I absolutely support the separation of the two, they should be kept apart.

1 Like

Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by kokoA(m): 2:31pm On Mar 29, 2012
enzyme9: we d muslims wil neva abandon our islam. God knows best of how we supos 2 liv in ths temporary world datz y he revealvd d Qur'an 2 guides us in our daily lyf. U as a christian hav d ryt 2 leav ur own. But 4 us wheather u say we are brainwashed or indoctrinatd or wat eva, u wl get tired n leav us. Thank u

Mr. Man, nobody is telling you to abandon your religion. The poster said "Seperation of religion and state". Your religion is you right but it shoul be personal to you and no one elses business thats what the poster mean.

1 Like

Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by xage(m): 2:52pm On Mar 29, 2012
1 of the dumbest post on NL.
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Mar 29, 2012
And pray, tell, Master Xage, why is it dumb?
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by Nebeuwa(m): 3:17pm On Mar 29, 2012
This is a very good topic, and I do support the separation of Church & State. I feel when you add religion into the equation, it muddies the water so to speak. People of various backgrounds have different views on religion, and their views should not be forced on others. In the United States, religious zealots have caused problems in science based on their views, which has been very bad for public policy. An example of this can be found in life-saving stem cell research.

I also feel that people have less freedom and fewer civil liberties, when you mix the Church with the State. Laws that are created are not based on logic and fairness, but on the words of an ancient book, and they are not debatable and cannot be easily changed. Freedom of speech is severely restricted, and it is difficult to mount a successful challenge to the State when people believe that you would be fighting against God himself.
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by EvilBrain1(m): 3:22pm On Mar 29, 2012
I'll even go a step further: absolutely no religion in any setting where public money is being spent.

No assembly prayers or teaching of CRK/IRK in public schools. No opening prayer at public functions, no more inaugurations in mosques. And the government should immediately sell both the national mosque and the national ecumenical centre, and stop spending our scarce resources on religion.

If you want you kids to get religious instruction in school, then you should pay for it yourself. I should be able to send my kid to a public school without having to worry about his teacher indoctrinating him into some strange religion with my tax money.

It's never going to happen in Nigeria though. Politicians aren't going to risk offending the born-again/sharia crowd. And the born-again/sharia crowd will never bother to think about the consequences of the ret@rded policies they advocate.

2 Likes

Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by Tobiustobius: 4:41pm On Mar 29, 2012
9jafreak: [size=16pt]
3. Perhaps the real challenge is how to separate 'God' ('The One') from Organized Religion.

Sadly that day may not come in our era.
[/size]

Absolutely. Organized religion does more harm than good to the concept of God. More punitive than progressive, as Callotti said.
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by Nebeuwa(m): 5:11pm On Mar 29, 2012
One of the worst mistakes that one can make in life is to attach your identity to any particular religion, such as by saying “I am a Christian” or “I am a Hindu.” This forces your mind into a fixed perspective, robbing you of perception and curtailing your ability to perceive reality accurately. Religious “truths” are inherently rooted in a fixed perspective, but real truth is independent perspective. When you substitute religious teachings for truth, you mistake shadows for light sources. This is a major problem in the world.

1 Like

Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by Nobody: 12:50am On Mar 30, 2012
What a pity! Sharia is an Islamic Constitution which every Muslim crave for to be adopted as their guiding rules in their countries. Have you seen a muslim, a northern muslim especially, come to this topic and say Yes, religion should be separated from state? its all xtians and not so religious people saying yes here! are we talking of theory or reality here?
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by LordReed(m): 3:12am On Mar 30, 2012
Callotti: Too many things don happen jare. NL is dying a natural death from hate. Not to mention e bad belle and e jolosi. grin
The 'curse' of haterzzzzz and tribalists have to be cleansed. It happened on other Nigerian websites and messageboards.
The place don dry like kpanla.
Loving it! Payment for injustice over the years!
Yeaaaaaaah!!!! cool

Reminds me of the pot and kettle story.
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by Callotti: 7:26am On Mar 30, 2012
Lord_Reed:

Reminds me of the pot and kettle story.

And what is my business with you?
I dun really give a phock about your opinion ma! kiss
Please, address the topic.
Thank you. kiss
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by LordReed(m): 12:18pm On Mar 31, 2012
Callotti:

And what is my business with you?
I dun really give a phock about your opinion ma! kiss
Please, address the topic.
Thank you. kiss

Typical.....
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Mar 31, 2012
cogitoErgo: What a pity! Sharia is an Islamic Constitution which every Muslim crave for to be adopted as their guiding rules in their countries. Have you seen a muslim, a northern muslim especially, come to this topic and say Yes, religion should be separated from state? its all xtians and not so religious people saying yes here! are we talking of theory or reality here?
_
You're a Muslim, good for you. Doesn't mean your neighbour is, therefore your religious rules shouldn't apply to him, the same way his religious rules don't apply to you. Use your heads people.
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Mar 31, 2012
I asked a question before to which I've received no answer: your religion tells you to stone me to death for adultery, but my religion allows me to commit adultery. What is to be done?
And bear in mind we're working under the freedom of religion act here, so even if I live next door to Camp Haram I've still got your sharia lawyers by the balls.
Re: Separation Of Church And State: Do You Support It? by Nobody: 5:52pm On Mar 31, 2012

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders / Non-alcoholic Beer In The Market / Must See: Old And New Shakau: A Body Check

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.