Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,890 members, 7,817,618 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:39 PM

Baking Soda And Baking Powder - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Baking Soda And Baking Powder (2380 Views)

How Much Is Baking Soda... And Where Can I Buy It From / Gold Spot, Parle Soda, And Limca: What Happened To Them? / Where Can I Buy Baking Soda Pls? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Baking Soda And Baking Powder by rukie(f): 10:02am On Mar 29, 2012
Please Nairalanders, what is the difference between baking soda and baking powder[color=#770077][/color]
Re: Baking Soda And Baking Powder by MissyB3(f): 12:38pm On Mar 29, 2012
They are both leavening agents, the slight difference is explained below.

Baking soda is a pure leavening agent. It needs to be mixed with moisture and an acidic ingredient for the necessary chemical reaction to take place to make food rise. Because it needs an acid to create the rising quality, it is often used in recipes where there is already an acidic ingredient present, such as lemon juice, chocolate, buttermilk or honey.

Baking powder, which contains bicarbonate of soda, comes pre-mixed with the acidic ingredient for you – so all you need to add is the moisture. The acidic ingredient most often used in baking powder is cream of tartar. You can make your own baking powder: simply mix two parts cream of tartar with one part bicarbonate of soda. Baking powder has a neutral taste and is often used in recipes that have other neutral-tasting ingredients, such as milk.

1 Like

Re: Baking Soda And Baking Powder by rukie(f): 1:16pm On Mar 29, 2012
Thank You
Re: Baking Soda And Baking Powder by Omofranca(f): 11:33am On Apr 02, 2012
A useful non culinary baking soda tip that I discovered online recently: mix some baking soda with your regular toothpaste and brush regularly with it to remove stubborn dental plaque; you'll be pleasantly surprised to find it'll save you some expensive dentist visits! (Note: it has to be pure sodium bicarbonate (soda), not baking powder).

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Someone Should Please Teach Me How To Prepare Ofada Rice / How To Loss Up To 12-23 Pounds Of Body Fat Gone Weight In Just 3 Weeks / Soy Sauce: Everything You Need To Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.