Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,831 members, 7,817,431 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:11 PM

Learning French Language - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Learning French Language (23878 Views)

Where To Learn French Language In Portharcourt / French Speakers And French Learners On Nairaland!!!! / Igbo learning thread + Translator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Learning French Language by IykeD(m): 9:14pm On Nov 01, 2007
Good peopleof the house, please recommend where i can learn french, i mean to be able to be fluent in the language.Will be glad to read your recommendations.Thank you
Re: Learning French Language by yimiton(f): 5:36pm On Nov 02, 2007
Go to the French Village in Ajara Badagry. If you have about 3 months to spare learning French full time, that's where you should be.
It's not expensive and accomodation is provided. You also have the opportunity to visit neighbouring French countries to mix up with them and speak their language.
I don't have the phone number now, but just drive to badagry, the school is along the way and the sign board is very conspicous, you can't miss it. If you do, ask a passerby.
Re: Learning French Language by chychy(f): 4:48pm On Nov 05, 2007
u could also learn @ Alliance Francaise. they have branches in Lagos, Abuja, PH, Kaduna, Kano and Kwara, depending on where u are, that is if u do not have 3months to spend @ Badagry.

1 Like

Re: Learning French Language by IykeD(m): 10:58pm On Nov 05, 2007
Thanks for your inputs, @ chichi, where is Alliance Francaise, the name sounds very familiar? I have seen something like that name on Herbert Makauly Way in Yaba.is it the same place you are talking about? I will be pleased to hear from you.
Thanks
Re: Learning French Language by Ndipe(m): 11:39pm On Nov 05, 2007
This is an opportunity that I missed in Nigeria, because I am also eager to be fluent in French, so I could travel to some Francophone countries. Does anybody have an idea on Learning French via tapes/DVD? Are they effective?
Re: Learning French Language by Horus(m): 11:42pm On Nov 05, 2007
C'est tres bien,je voit que les Nigeriens veulent apprendre a parler le francais.
Nous pouvont si vous vouler pratiquer en ligne ici meme.

2 Likes

Re: Learning French Language by SMC(f): 12:27am On Nov 06, 2007
Horus:

C'est tres bien,je voit que les Nigeriens veulent apprendre a parler le francais.

YOU SHOW OFF!!! tongue

2 Likes

Re: Learning French Language by shushu(f): 9:53pm On Nov 07, 2007
Alliance francaise has schools in Yaba and Ikoyi.The one in yaba is at Herbert macauley close to the former cinema and the one at ikoyi is on kingsway road. The branch at yaba does not always have beginners classes.
i reccommend taking your classes at the ikoyi branch because it has got a library of books and videos that you can borrow which is really what helps to improve your french, not just the classes.
most important is to practice the language by reading, watching french tv and videos, speaking comes with practice and having the confidence to make mistakes shamelessly.
All the best.
Re: Learning French Language by IykeD(m): 7:17am On Nov 08, 2007
Thanks a million Shushu for the advice.I thought as much that i had seen such name at yaba.I will go there and also get to the Ikoyi branch.Do you speak francais? very soon i will be practicing with speakers in here
Thanks once again.
Re: Learning French Language by shushu(f): 5:46pm On Nov 08, 2007
I finished the A and B classes at Alliance francaise and did a professional exam.I later went to the Nigerian french language village in Badagry.These two schools helped me to understand French very well, the speaking became better at badagry, because one is forced to communicate,debate,pray (fellowship is in french) etc in the language and in some cases even buy food in the language.That really boosted my confidence and made the speaking faster.
Today, sadly, i do not speak,but understand and can read and thats still an advantage.
All the best in your endeavours.

1 Like

Re: Learning French Language by midastouch: 3:54pm On Nov 21, 2007
@Ndipe

This is an opportunity that I missed in Nigeria, because I am also eager to be fluent in French, so I could travel to some Francophone countries. Does anybody have an idea on Learning French via tapes/DVD? Are they effective?

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND "Pimsleur's Speak and Read Essential French" I, II and III packages.

They are well worth the money. It is highly employed by Intelligence, Diplomatic Circles.
Re: Learning French Language by smartkulk(m): 4:21pm On Nov 21, 2007
There is a French centre in Abeokute Ogun state.The centre is situated within the premises of govt. secretariat at Oke ilewo.You can choose a convenient program that will suit your time and I bet you at an affordable rate.I have seen people who attended the course and I can tell you, you will enjoy it.I also have interest in the language but I have got no time.AU REVOIR
Re: Learning French Language by Bankii: 2:52pm On Aug 17, 2008
hey guys,
jes finished school so i av some spare nd i'd like to learn so pls do u av any where for me to learn ASAP or how to apply to the french village i badagry
Re: Learning French Language by Nobody: 5:59pm On Aug 17, 2008
Je ne sais pas parler tres bien, mais si vouz etudiez serieusement lorsque vous etes dans l'ecole, vous pouvez apprendre tres bien. Je vien de finir SS3. Et je suis sur que si je vais en France maintenant, je ne peux pas me perdre. Si les Francais ne parlent pas rapidement, comme ils parlent d'habitude.
Re: Learning French Language by shannong(f): 5:50am On Aug 18, 2008
Private classes

1 Like

Re: Learning French Language by Nobody: 8:31pm On Aug 18, 2008
mactao:

Je ne sais pas parler tres bien, mais si vouz etudiez serieusement lorsque vous etes dans l'ecole, vous pouvez apprendre tres bien. Je vien de finir SS3. Et je suis sur que si je vais en France maintenant, je ne peux pas me perdre. Si les Francais ne parlent pas rapidement, comme ils parlent d'habitude.

I don't speak very well, but if you study seriously when you are in school, you cal learn very well. I just finished SS3. And I'm sure that if I go to France now, I can't get lost.
If the French don't speak rapidly, as they usually do.

And, I second all the Alliance Francaise suggestions. I bagged a CEFP 1 certificate after just a few months of coaching from an Alliance Francaise teacher. But, I warn you, if you don't have genuine interest in French, you'll be stuck. I learned French because I wanted to know how to speak it, not because I wanted to pass my exams.

2 Likes

Re: Learning French Language by masawa: 4:32am On Aug 19, 2008
Horus:

salut horus,ou tu as appris a parler le francais moi je suis bi lingue parce que mon pere est francais et ma mere est du nigeria ,cela fait de moi une belle metisse cafe au lait!!

2 Likes

Re: Learning French Language by masawa: 4:38am On Aug 19, 2008
even though I speak french fluently ,I have to admit that english is way easier that's for sure!!
Re: Learning French Language by Nobody: 5:59am On Aug 19, 2008
masawa:

even though I speak french fluently ,I have to admit that english is way easier that's for sure!!
Seriously, the lang is hard to learn.

Poster, I'd suggest you take a French class,

Pour moi, Je ne parle pas le francias.

I tried undecided
Re: Learning French Language by Nobody: 11:20am On Aug 19, 2008
Ce n'est pas difficile la français .
Re: Learning French Language by phelex(f): 11:22am On Aug 19, 2008
Je ne sais pas parler tres bien, mais si vouz etudiez serieusement lorsque vous etes dans l'ecole, vous pouvez apprendre tres bien. Je vien de finir SS3. Et je suis sur que si je vais en France maintenant, je ne peux pas me perdre. Si les Francais ne parlent pas rapidement, comme ils parlent d'habitude, Wesh , c'est quand que tu viens en France?,
Re: Learning French Language by phelex(f): 11:24am On Aug 19, 2008
salut horus,ou tu as appris a parler le francais moi je suis bi lingue parce que mon pere est francais et ma mere est du nigeria ,cela fait de moi une belle metisse cafe au lait!! , Wesh ,.tu vis en France ou pas? , et es ce que tu parles la lanque de ta mère? , est ce que tu est déjà parti au Nigéria, hmmm?
Re: Learning French Language by phelex(f): 11:26am On Aug 19, 2008
MDR, Elodie c'est n'est pas "la français " mais "le français",
Re: Learning French Language by masawa: 8:35pm On Aug 19, 2008
phelex:

salut horus,ou tu as appris a parler le francais moi je suis bi lingue parce que mon pere est francais et ma mere est du nigeria ,cela fait de moi une belle metisse cafe au lait!! , Wesh ,.tu vis en France ou pas? , et es ce que tu parles la lanque de ta mère? , est ce que tu est déjà parti au Nigéria, hmmm?
phelex,je ne vis pas en france mais j'y ai vecu tres longtemps puisque j'y suis nee.Je parle tres bien la langue de ma mere et j'allais souvent en vacance au nigeria.J'adore le nigeria mais les gens m'appelaient half cast ou oyinbo et j'aimais pas ca.il ya longtemps que je ne suis pas allee au nigeria par contre
Re: Learning French Language by rampant(f): 10:44pm On Aug 19, 2008
@topic

if u want to really,as in really learn french,then go to badagry ,french village,accomodations r provided there,its a place where u will be tot properly
Re: Learning French Language by drrionelli(m): 11:34pm On Aug 19, 2008
@masawa:
You really find French to be more difficult than English? That's interesting! To me, French is far easier to speak, and I live in an English-speaking country. There are far fewer words to remember compared to English! grin
Re: Learning French Language by masawa: 12:45am On Aug 20, 2008
drrionelli:

@masawa:
You really find French to be more difficult than English? That's interesting! To me, French is far easier to speak, and I live in an English-speaking country. There are far fewer words to remember compared to English! grin
are you kidding me?if it's so easy for you why don't you write in french.Let's speak in french,would you?I'm part french myself(my dad is french),Ive lived part of my life there so I know what I 'm talking about dude!writing style,grammar,vocabulary can be very tricky and i 'm not talking about articles before nouns, in english there's no article at all.My mom who is nigerian took a long time to learn french ,
Re: Learning French Language by drrionelli(m): 8:16pm On Aug 20, 2008
I don't question the veracity of your statements, my friend.  My posting was simply an observation, nothing more and nothing less.  I should clarify that, although I spoke French as a young child (in Canada), I have become more comfortable using English, having used it here in the US where I live.  It just seems, to me, that French is somewhat more "compact" than English, even though I feel that I communicate more ably in English.

Of course, given that English is the official language of Nigeria, I suppose I'll be more understood if I use it here (though it would be nice to have conversancy in Yoruba, Igbo or even Pidgin!).   cheesy
Re: Learning French Language by phelex(f): 7:30am On Aug 21, 2008
@ masawa
c'est bien que tu parles la langue de ta mère car c'est aussi important,
Re: Learning French Language by ayanjide(m): 8:42am On Aug 21, 2008
As difficult as French lang. may be to learn, i must confess its a very interesting language. No matter how difficult it may be, your passion can see u through.
I was at french village sometime in 2002. Its a lovely village and it can aid your speakability of the Language. Because u av d GOLDEN opportunity of interracting with french university students all over NIGERIA 2 spend a mandatory 1 year as a prerequisite to be a graduate in french Language. The low points in NFLV is the maintenance of the school. Alliance Francaise Ikoyi is another lovely place to learn because der s a legion of material at ur disposal and the french community are really giving it a full backing. gf t a try, u ll nt regret t
Re: Learning French Language by QuinVee: 4:11am On Feb 04, 2009
Thanks people, this has been most informative. I'd love 2 start studyin french at alliance Francaise(PHC) soonest. However, i have no idea what d program is like i.e.- can one just start at anytime or is there a definite time when a new session begins for fresh intakes? Also, what is the tuition or fees like? Need answers ASAP! Thank you.
Re: Learning French Language by Ogaga4Luv(m): 12:38pm On Mar 04, 2009
Je Comprends le Française bien. wink
iw recommend you to visit ITALK .COM.
its a language learning site you meet with like_minded people from around the world,to learn and share knowledge together.
here is my page link there :

www.italki.com/T002808936.htm -

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cobbler Returns Painter's Lost N200k, Says "I Do Am For Allah" / Gbadegesin Ogunoye Installed As Olowo Of Owo In Ondo / List Of Hausa Dialect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.