Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,754 members, 7,817,085 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:09 AM

Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric (5077 Views)

Truck Falls On Okada At Oshodi-Apapa Expressway (Photos) / Okada-Man, Student Crushed By Trailer In Benue (Graphic Photos) / Okada Riders Flouts Lagos Law On Restricted Routes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by abasifo(m): 10:18pm On Apr 01, 2012
Lagos Okada riders on strike

LAGOS—MEMBERS of National Commercial Motorcycles and Tricycle Owners and Riders Association, Motorcycle Transport Union of Nigeria, All Nigerians Autobike Commercial Owners and Workers Association and Okada Riders Welfare Association have called on their members to stay off the street from 7a.m to 10a.m tomorrow (Monday), to enable them attend a court session.

Chairman of the four associations, Mr. Daramola Williams, said the action was necessary to demonstrate support and solidarity in court following the suit filed on their behalf against the Lagos State Government by their lawyer, Mr. Bamidele Aturu, over the banning of Okada from operating within the Ikeja Business District.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/04/lagos-okada-riders-on-strike/
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by LailaIkeji1: 10:37pm On Apr 01, 2012
wahala go dey ooo. hmm
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by Lucy001(f): 7:02am On Apr 02, 2012
Na be small.....
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by snthesis(m): 9:06am On Apr 02, 2012
seriously like Duh!!! isnt that the aim of LASG to keep the Okadas permanently on strike tongue
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by Nobody: 9:07am On Apr 02, 2012
Abeg ban d okada's jare.
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by yemmight(m): 9:11am On Apr 02, 2012
On strike, so that will give then victory at court abi?
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by usefaith(m): 9:19am On Apr 02, 2012
Okadas should not be allowed 2 ply all d Lagos major rds. Their wahala 2 much
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by joelala(m): 9:36am On Apr 02, 2012
like who cares? people wey we wan roast chop wey dey use oil rub body.
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by piica(m): 9:58am On Apr 02, 2012
joelala: like who cares? people wey we wan roast chop wey dey use oil rub body.
cannibalist lyk u
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by i1: 10:13am On Apr 02, 2012
Nice one.
aℓℓ okada riders should show solidarity with Τ̲̅ђe fellow okadamen whose means of livelihood as been reduced.
i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ this day aπϑ age when there aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ no jobs, bad transport etc Τ̲̅ђe wise government wants †☺ ban okada instead of finding ways †☺ regulate them, I think fashola was wrong i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ banning okada.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by Skii(m): 10:18am On Apr 02, 2012
Some people need to take a step down the food chain for just One hour, then climb back up

After the experience, I think their thoughts about Okadas might be different

1 Like

Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by Muttex(m): 10:39am On Apr 02, 2012
o ga ooo.
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by snthesis(m): 10:43am On Apr 02, 2012
its not about stepping down the food chain- come to think of it Okada fares are way higher than normal bus fares.
the major point is Okada's have become a nuisance and sumtymes a security threat (if only they had been organized from the onset and the okada union had strict rules in regards to its members- we wouldnt be havin the issue of to ban or not to ban)

1 Like

Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by omoola007(m): 10:56am On Apr 02, 2012
Okada should not be banned but rather heavily regulated. I don't take okada because they are simply too dangerous due to the lack of regulation and overall lack of experience and care by the riders. They constantly weave through cars and change lanes with no regard. They cause most accidents on the road and are alway damaging cars. ( dings and scratches) .

All this said, after living in Lagos you will realise that okadas are needed as part of the transportation solution for the masses.

Rather than take the easy way out ( banning them) why not regulate them so that they become productive members of the society. Here are the things I would do to better regulate okada and provide an harmonious and safe coexistence between car drivers and okada riders.

1) register and license them - all okada riders must have a rider license that will require tha they study the road rules and pass a road test. It doesn't have to be a difficult or complicated test. They should be taught safety and regulations via video or other demonstrations and then tested in it. Once they pass they will be give a license and a vest to identify them.

2) form a deciplinary board- in conjunction with their union, form a deciplinary board that enforces sanctions of riders that disobey the rules, - excessive load, dangerous driving , accidents, etc. ( their vest will have their license number. For reporting)

3) create an okada hotline. To report dangerous riding and other issues

4) require helmets for all riders. Any violation wil result in seizing of the okada. So the riders will police themselves. ( they don't want to loose their okada so they will wear helmets and require that passengers do too.

5) make then ride only on outer lanes. The right side of the traffic . Seize their okada for going one way and jail offenders for 3 days.

The easy thing to do is ban the hard and more tangible thing is to regulate them.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by free2ryhme: 11:00am On Apr 02, 2012
snthesis: its not about stepping down the food chain- come to think of it Okada fares are way higher than normal bus fares.
the major point is Okada's have become a nuisance and sumtymes a security threat (if only they had been organized from the onset and the okada union had strict rules in regards to its members- we wouldnt be havin the issue of to ban or not to ban)

Na by force to enter bike. go take aboki okada you will soon change ya mind
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by okeyxyz(m): 11:12am On Apr 02, 2012
for a government that is supposedly run by modern, educated & socially informed persons, the lagos state governemnt should not be taking irrational & draconian decisions such as outright banning okadas. what happened to common sense regulation? it is either they(lagos state govt) are incompetent to understand regulation or just too lazy to implement regulation. take your pick!
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by MeGaStReEt: 11:26am On Apr 02, 2012
I pray they (okada riders) win the case
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by lekkie073(m): 12:33pm On Apr 02, 2012
[quote author=MeGaStReEt]I pray they (okada riders) win the case[/quot
Why u̶̲̥̅̊ ‎​D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲ pray for them? Abi ur uncle ‎​D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲ among dem? *wink*
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by femmy2010(m): 12:33pm On Apr 02, 2012
Banning okada serves no good.The Govt should simply get it heavily regulated.
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by oluwizard(m): 12:40pm On Apr 02, 2012
We can't do without okada I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̅ lagos fashola is playing Ωĭtђ FIRE
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by olaezebala: 12:47pm On Apr 02, 2012
e come be lime say na anybody fit strike for 9ja
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by oradee: 12:54pm On Apr 02, 2012
i.:
Nice one.
Α̲̅ℓℓ okada riders should show solidarity with Τ̲̅ђe fellow okadamen whose means of livelihood as been reduced.
i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ this day Α̲̅πϑ age when there α̲̅я̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ no jobs, bad transport etc Τ̲̅ђe wise government wants †☺ ban okada instead of finding ways †☺ regulate them, I think fashola was wrong i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ banning okada.

and should all other money-making ways be regulated simply cos of no jobs?

lets not be myopic and mediocre in our thinking...

1 Like

Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by ikee(m): 1:09pm On Apr 02, 2012
Wonder if they may win this case, considering the name of their Lawyer, Mr Aturu {Sheep} grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by Vergil: 1:58pm On Apr 02, 2012
Since nothing in Nigeria can be/has ever been regulated. Why try in the first place?

Asides from cars/vehicles, which aren't regulated properly. Government shouldn't allow another system of transport, since it can't regulate it. Think so anyway!
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by seleroms: 2:20pm On Apr 02, 2012
Am at ikeja rite now,under the bridge to be precise and a bunch of okada riders with leaves on their bikes are moving around and chanting "no more police,no more lastma" dunno whatz going on but the ban would not be sexy at all,i had to wait for keke for about 20mins at ogba before the painful journey through adeniyi jones,damn i ache all over now. God have mercy
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by Reference(m): 3:01pm On Apr 02, 2012
Why doesn't it just get its mass transit system properly in place before the ban and I don't mean more cars and buses on the already packed streets. For all their shortcomings bikes leave the least enviromental foot print - emissions and road wear per passenger and also the best fuel efficiency per person per mile in an urban set up. Ban them and petrol imports will shoot up dramatically. If we can't have electrically driven mass transit let these bikes be. There's no nation outside China that is not worried about the growing threat of motor vehicles in urban areas.
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by Reference(m): 3:08pm On Apr 02, 2012
And by the way, it is motorcyclists that should be protected from other road users not the other way round. Their number is a reflection of the poverty levels in our nation and while you can legislate standards, training and compliance, you can't legislate away poverty. That's the truth.
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by homerac7: 3:47pm On Apr 02, 2012
I'm sure the report says "Ikeja business district". Not all part of Ikeja is under d business district. I'm also affected, but I'm sure it will bring sanity to that area and it is a positive security preventive step in light of popular boko haram "kill and go" okada riders style. I only wish more keke are made available to fill in d vacuum being created by d ban.
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by femmy2010(m): 6:09pm On Apr 02, 2012
Reference: And by the way, it is motorcyclists that should be protected from other road users not the other way round. Their number is a reflection of the poverty levels in our nation and while you can legislate standards, training and compliance, you can't legislate away poverty. That's the truth.

You have said it all my bruva.
I am sure there exist very little joy for the Okada men riding in the scorching sun,all just to make ends meet.
What the government should tackle first is the factor that has led many to become Okada riders.

Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by k00lxpert(m): 6:38pm On Apr 02, 2012
It is now time & utmost expedient for the pple to rise up to fight 4 their civil liberty. The govt has been looting this same okada pple's money to fund the so called political godfather of ACN birthday party since he has left, including his cohorts. But I biliv in the pple's power more than any strong govt that's dictating for them. Sooner or later, my pple 'll win. But Fashola shud note sometin, any leader that refuses to listen to the pple & dat continue in sending them back into abject pooverty & thinks he's doing the right thing all d time, will vanish wit his/her ideas, & his generations will quickly be forgoten. The pple shud always be the first to choose what's gud for them & the govt shud be guilding them not depresing, oppressing & demoting them all the time...Philip
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by texazzpete(m): 6:39pm On Apr 02, 2012
All these Lagos motorists calling for the ban on Okada are simply hilarious in their foolishness.

By the time the Okadas are replaced by tens of thousands of Kekes and 20 year old scrap cars on the already over-congested Lagos roads, you people will realise the error of your ways.

The sensible thing is to wait until developments in light rail and water based transportation systems reach an appreciable level before curtailing or banning Okadas. Anything else is sheer lunacy.
Re: Lagos Okada Riders On Strike,Inorder To Attend Court Over Ikeja Business Distric by emsquare(m): 7:53pm On Apr 02, 2012
bennyraz: Abeg ban d okada's jare.

Really!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help Guys! How Do You Start Your Engine After Car Has Overheated! / The Thread For Free Paint Job / Immobilizer Flashing On Dashboard- Honda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.