Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,585 members, 7,812,913 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:14 PM

Awolowo's Speech After The Mid-west Liberation/invasion By Biafran Forces ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo's Speech After The Mid-west Liberation/invasion By Biafran Forces ? (2271 Views)

Okorocha "Attacked" By Biafran Supporter At Chatham House In London. PICS / Video Of Muhammadu Buhari First Speech After His Declaration As President Elect / APC Gusau Rally LIVE - Holding In The Tick Of The Mid-night - See Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Awolowo's Speech After The Mid-west Liberation/invasion By Biafran Forces ? by TonySpike: 5:24pm On Apr 02, 2012
I came across this speech somewhere online. Can anybody please confirm that it is the actual speech of Chief Awolowo after the mid-west invasion? I have also coloured out some important statements in this speech for Nairalanders to understand. I also appeal that this thread should not degenerate into tribal/hate ethnic wars as we are all here for education on our Nation's past. I hereby implore the moderators to filter out any hate speech on this thread. Thanks.

The Speech of Chief Obafemi Awolowo in response to the Midwest Invasion on August 12th, 1967

The recent coup in the Mid-West has been followed by a massive propaganda offensive from Enugu, which I considered it my duty to counter.

The Yorubas have been called upon to rise up in arms now and liberate themselves from what the Enugu radio termed the Hausa-Fulani domination. Even Yoruba soldiers have been asked by the Enugu propagandists to desert the Nigerian Army and report to the rebel Headquarters in Enugu or Benin.

From the inception of the country, the Yorubas have consistently stood for the unity of Nigeria, and for the equality of status for each of the many and diverse national groups in the country, regardless of territorial or population size.

The Yorubas have never set out to dominate others, but have always resisted, with all the energy in them any attempt however slight or disguised, by others to dominate them. They believe in the Federal Union of Nigerian peoples, and in complete self determination for all the national units in the land.

It is for these causes that they fought valiantly in the past and will fight now and in the future. Indeed it is for these causes that they must now be ready to resist any attempt by the rebel forces from the East and the Mid-West to violate their territory and subjugate them.

Some people, possibly well meaning, have suggested, and others evilly-disposed are already trying to exploit this false suggestion to win Yoruba support for a disloyal cause, that I am on the side of Ojukwu who represents the Ibo people, and opposed to General Gowon who represents the Northern peoples. Those who make this suggestion also hold the view that the interests of the Yoruba people are better served, by aligning themselves with the North.

The truth is that, in the present contest, I am neither on the side of Ojukwu nor on that of General Gowon as representatives of the Ibos and Northern peoples respectively. For on thing, Ojukwu does not seem to me to represent the best interests of the Ibos; nor does General Gowon appear to me to be the agent of the Northern section of our Federation. For another, I am absolutely and irrevocably committed to the side of Nigeria, and of the complete self-determination, autonomy, and unity of the Yoruba people and each of the national groups in the country, within the context of a Nigerian Union.

Futhermore, I firmly believe that the best interests of the Ibos, the Yorubas, the Hausas, and other ethnic groups in the country, will be served in a reconstructed and reconstituted united Nigeria. A Nigeria so reconstituted and reconstructed as to make it impossible for any ethnic group ever again to assay to lord it over the others, or to be in a position effectively to incite division and disaffection among the members of the other national groups. Indeed, a Nigeria so reconstituted and reconstructed that every Nigerian citizen will be able, and be consciously enabled by the Governments of the land, to live and move freely and happily in any part of the Federation, and play an equal role in the affairs of the country.

It is imperative, therefore, that the unity of Nigeria must be preserved by any means which the prevaliling circumstances dictate. And, of course, the best judge of what the prevailing circumstances warrant is the Federal Military Government, and not the many jarring voices of despair which now clamour for audience in and outside Nigeria.

I have no doubt that after the present rebellion shall have been overcome, a new Nigeria, with the existing boundries remaining inviolate, will emerge, and that the Yoruba people will retain their liberty of action and enjoy equality of status in the new dispensation.

To these ends, therefore, all Yoruba people, particularly those in the Western and Lagos States which now face the threats of invasion by the rebels from the East and the Mid-West, must not only be as vigilant as ever, but must also lose no time and spare no efforts in giving every conceivable support to the Federal troops in defence of their homeland, and of the Fatherland.

They must do more. They must continue to give support and loyalty to the Federal Government in the prosecution of the present Military operations, so that the rebellions in the Eastern and Mid-Western States may be brought to a swift end, and the honour, integrity, and unity of Nigeria fully restored.

A press statement issued by Chief Obafemi Awolowo on 12th August, 1967.
Re: Awolowo's Speech After The Mid-west Liberation/invasion By Biafran Forces ? by CyberG: 5:53pm On Apr 02, 2012
@OP, it is not enough to make a post and say you found it "online". The original source should be provided otherwise, how can can this (or any knowledge) be independently verified?
Re: Awolowo's Speech After The Mid-west Liberation/invasion By Biafran Forces ? by TonySpike: 6:23pm On Apr 02, 2012
@ CyberG, thanks for the concern. I found this as a personal note on a facebook page, which is not good enough to support this thread. However, this speech appears to be a transcript of the original audio statement of Chief Awolowo. I will try as much as possible to search for a much more veritable online link, either audio or text. As soon as I get one, I will modify this post. Pending that time, I don't mind anyone who finds an alternate link to put it on this thread. Thanks.
Re: Awolowo's Speech After The Mid-west Liberation/invasion By Biafran Forces ? by chosen04(f): 6:23pm On Apr 02, 2012
Whoever wrote this crap MUST BE VERY BLIND.

Its obvious this writer cannot see beyond his/her nose.
Re: Awolowo's Speech After The Mid-west Liberation/invasion By Biafran Forces ? by CyberG: 4:45am On Apr 03, 2012
Tony Spike: @ CyberG, thanks for the concern. I found this as a personal note on a facebook page, which is not good enough to support this thread. However, this speech appears to be a transcript of the original audio statement of Chief Awolowo. I will try as much as possible to search for a much more veritable online link, either audio or text. As soon as I get one, I will modify this post. Pending that time, I don't mind anyone who finds an alternate link to put it on this thread. Thanks.

Yes, your candour and honesty is much appreciated.

@Tribalist secessionist arriving, welcome to your usual feast of losers. Lets see how many "post has been hidden" tongue tongue this thread will garner. Little kids without any iota of common sense, no research or study of the past will educate the whole world from their hallucinatory dreams about 1967-1970 civil war? No need because now you have your chance for a rematch, go for it! Ihejirika and his godogodos tongue tongue are waiting!
Re: Awolowo's Speech After The Mid-west Liberation/invasion By Biafran Forces ? by freesoul3(f): 5:00am On Apr 03, 2012
free soul enters the area
smiles

who is dis Yoruba akata cybervirus uuzing out strrrrrrrrrrrrrong ya-ri-ba stench! shocked

Re: Awolowo's Speech After The Mid-west Liberation/invasion By Biafran Forces ? by Musiwa42: 5:04am On Apr 03, 2012
First of all Edo and delta is part of Yorubaland . go into history. this is how we see it. And that is why awo made that statement. If you go into our history. benin is a Yoruba word. Ishan is a Yoruba word. It means to run from. ask an ishan person.

Awolowo made some mistake during the civil war. Awolowo can not be right all the time. He was human and not God

Even event after the civil war show that awolowo made mistake.

MKO abiola was a reason why Awolowo was wrong.

Awolowo never became president of nigeria, why, because Awolowo was wrong about some event during the Nigeria civil war.

With the thousand of people killed in Plateau, When I mean thousand, more than 100,000 have been killed since the civil war in Gowon state. Can Gowon says he was right. The answer is NO. Gowon too was wrong.

Even the north, if they know what they know now. Will not fight the civil war.

All the north needed that time was send its food to the south and ask its people to sell it to them at the commodity market and now ship it to the south.

$30 billion over 30 years is $900 billion that the north would have had.

[img]http://1.bp..com/-OLOMEvlUuOs/TfdO5f5OKZI/AAAAAAAAAJs/VuGPzNo_DsE/s1600/M-K-O-Abiola.jpg[/img]
Re: Awolowo's Speech After The Mid-west Liberation/invasion By Biafran Forces ? by freesoul3(f): 5:04am On Apr 03, 2012
CyberG:

@Tribalist secessionist arriving, welcome to your usual feast of losers. Lets see how many "post has been hidden" tongue tongue this thread will garner. Little kids without any iota of common sense, no research or study of the past will educate the whole world from their hallucinatory dreams about 1967-1970 civil war? No need because now you have your chance for a rematch, go for it! Ihejirika and his godogodos tongue tongue are waiting!

tief awolawo was the first nigerian tief and secessionist hydra who failed to even recognise his own double face in the mirror!
tif awolawo was the first tribalist secessionist teyyyyyyyyyy before naija gain freedom from oyinbo
tief awolawo is fanning satans a.s.s.s in hell shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Awolowo's Speech After The Mid-west Liberation/invasion By Biafran Forces ? by CyberG: 5:12am On Apr 03, 2012
Mods: Can you do your usual job by shutting down the turn-coat old racist poster with a new ID? Losers will not change from being losers LOL grin grin
Re: Awolowo's Speech After The Mid-west Liberation/invasion By Biafran Forces ? by freesoul3(f): 5:17am On Apr 03, 2012
CyberG: Mods: Can you do your usual job by shutting down the turn-coat old racist poster with a new ID? Losers will not change from being losers LOL grin grin

ya-ri-ba akata why are yu cryin lik a biiiinch?!
Re: Awolowo's Speech After The Mid-west Liberation/invasion By Biafran Forces ? by freesoul3(f): 5:19am On Apr 03, 2012
CyberG:

ya-ri-ba akata what do you mean by this?
ya racist mudderfking lout!
why do yo complain when you are found!
racist heediot

(1) (Reply)

South Korea Seeks Nigeria's Assistance In Peace Talks With North Korea / Anambra Election: Where Is Chris Uba? / E,X.P.O.S.E.D. Brain Behind Lies Against Nigerians Revealed!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.