Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,124 members, 7,835,769 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need (20483 Views)

TB Joshua Returns N500,000 Tithe To Elderly Woman / Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor / Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Dovent: 5:03pm On Apr 03, 2012
Everybody pays tithe, some pays consciously while some unconsciously. The fact is that we pay tithe to different people, some pays to God and some to their gods. My candid submission is that you dont pay tithe on compassionate ground, you pay tithe because God commanded it. Any tithe you don't pay to a man of God or to a church of God, is just an offering, so don't expect the blessing associated with tithing.
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Nobody: 5:07pm On Apr 03, 2012
Even Jesus supports attending to immediate needs of people, even if it means skipping church service, tithes and any oda religious stuffs.
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Ukariobene(m): 5:08pm On Apr 03, 2012
My sister,don't let anybody mislead you by making you guilty,giving your brother the money. Christ has set us free from the bondage of Judaic laws. The fact is that tithing is not for christians,but Judaisers. Let somebody answer my questions: where did Jesus reprimand or commend his disciples for not paying or paying tithe? Where does Paul commend or reprimand his churches for paying or not paying tithe? Somebody should tell me where Paul asked the church members to pay tithe? The New Testament only enjoins christians to do FREE WILL DONATIONS as you make up your mind,and not somebody telling you how much to give. Christians,study your bible and don't allow anybody to enslave you again with legalistic Judaic law of tithing that has been abrogated by GRACE, read Col.2:16,17. Most of the churches that demands tithe from their members have a lot of poor and needy people in their midst,yet they close their eyes to these needy people. While the pastors are living in affluent,some members are living in abject poverty. Yet, these rich pastors force the poor christians to give them tithes. My sister,give that money to your brother without any sense of guilt,because that is the right thing to do.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by vanstanzy(m): 5:10pm On Apr 03, 2012
Sijo01: Gudday folks.
Am nt a fan of religious section, i decided to come in here due to dis liru issue i hav. Wanna kno if wat am abut to do is ok.

My brother who has never asked me for financial assistance b4 is really in need of money &has asked me to help out. I in person, am nt always confortable wen sombdy ask me for somfin n am unable to giv.

D issue now is dat, am nt boyant @d moment but i hv my tithe which i kno wil be reasonabl enof to giv out because hv nt been to my church for some time now (went on a visit to another church, was on duty, went out of d state etc) so, i did nt pay my tithe neither did i spend it.

If i give out this money (my tithe) to my brother, wil i b on point?
Plz folks ur opinion is seeked here.
Thanks!

@Sijo01
Guy in the book of Malachi 3:10, God says bring all the tithes into my House (the Church) so that there will be food (not quoting verbatim, though). It would have made sense to give it to the church but this days we know what these new generation church pastors do with the tithe, infact not what they do with the cash that matters, but the fact that they get excess of it from all quarters. If i were u i'ld let the needy one (ur brother) have it.
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by kooto(m): 5:15pm On Apr 03, 2012
Please can those saying that tithe has been abolish in the new testament show me where axactly, either in the doctrines of Christ or apostolic doctrines, I will really want to know because all the ealier quotes does not abolish it.
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by cautious: 5:18pm On Apr 03, 2012
As usual, goshen360 has done justice to this topic so I only have few words to add.

@OP,
You shouldn't be confused because the force of love is superior to the guilt religious folks try to impose. One of the most effective ways of giving to God is to give to the needy, downtrodden and helpless. He that gives to the poor lends to the Lord. Deep within you, you know the right action to take so please do it quickly and watch the Lord reward you. He does not requre any tithe from you but that you lovingly act in justice. Check out His assessment criteria in Matt 25:34-40. I was hungry and you fed me; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and clothed Me, I was sick and in prison and you visited Me. So I ask, why was He silent on tithes? Do these to the least of His brethren who can't reward you on earth and bring gladness to the Lord's heart. It's that simple, friends.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by zannie(f): 5:20pm On Apr 03, 2012
Man was NEVER made for laws. Go figure
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Kaiser5000: 5:20pm On Apr 03, 2012
My question would be “If your mother was sick in the hospital and before they could attend to her you had to make a deposit would you be asking this question? Or would the people advising you to give the money to the church tell you to allow your mom to die?
We have brains to think but most of us refuse to do that. What could be of greater joy than to be able to help another human being? I find it hard to believe that God will punish you for helping a person who is visibly in need of help. If he did, I would question that.
I don't know about everyone else but I pray that God should bless me so I can be a blessing to others and vice versa.
This is an opportunity to be a blessing to someone and God will judge your heart and your intentions.
This is Just my opinion.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by SisiKill1: 5:21pm On Apr 03, 2012
yuzedo:
Do you even understand the concept of blasphemy at all?? undecided And how exactly can blasphemy apply to a mere man. . Blaspheme pastor ko, blascatter pastress ni! angry

@ OP: I have finally been convicted on this thread as to how to handle the issue of "tithing". . . Thanks to all the forward-thinking, objective posters! smiley

Bhahahahahahahaha!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by nsidear: 5:22pm On Apr 03, 2012
There is one thing we should understand here pls. God is not like man. If u have an urgent need like this of ur brother, u can take care of it,but write it somewhere the amount u needed to pay as tithe, on ur next pay, u can redeem it,Personally, I take my tithe out first before my other needs, but once my bills are all due and rather than be paying late payments on my bills, i can always substitute my tithe for it, write it down and then pay it off on my next pay. It hurts nothing. That does not attract Gods punishment in anyway long as u are faithful in redeeming it.
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Emylexray(m): 5:40pm On Apr 03, 2012
goshen360: [size=13pt]@ OP,

You will notice it's only when it comes to tithe that all these verses from OLD TESTAMENT are pull up. I am doing a comprehensive teachings on tithe and will take up to 2 months or more to finish it here on NL considering questions and answers. It's all about using the bible to explain the bible and interpreting the bible in CONTEXT.

Stone your rebellious sons to death, they will tell you we are under the grace and not under the Law so we cannot do that anymore. Why is it ONLY tithe they STILL STICK to in the Old Testament? Why? But the tithe teachers will never let you see or want you to see this verse in Deuteronomy 14:21-29 nkjv but am not quoting all here, you can read for yourself:

v22: "You shall truly tithe all the increase of your grain that the field produces year by year.

v23: "And you shall eat before the LORD your God, in the place where He chooses to make His name abide, the tithe of your grain and your new wine and your oil, of the firstborn of your herds and your flocks, that you may learn to fear the LORD your God always.

The biblical tithe as you can see IF TRULY NEEDS TO BE PRACTICED SHOULD BE FROM FARM PRODUCE NOT MONEY TITHE. MONEY EXISTED IN THOSE DAYS BUT GOD NEVER ASKED HIS PEOPLE TO TITHE MONEY. GOD IS SPECIFIC WHEN IT COMES TO INSTRUCTIONS. If you read the whole of that verse, God also told them to use the tithe when converted to MONEY, it should be used for WHATEVER YOUR HEART DESIRES. v25-26.

Above all, Jesus said: If you can "do it" to any of these ones, you have done it to me. My dear sister, GO YOUR WAY WITHOUT THINKING ABOUT IT TWICE AND GIVE YOU BROTHER IN NEED. THIS IS TRUE RELIGION IN THE NEW TESTAMENT. Read the book of James chapter 1:27 - 2:end.

Tithe had being abolished in the new testament but we are left with GIVING that comes from our heart, that is cheerful, that is spirit led not according to law of Moses.[/size]
heresy!...*SMH*
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by kemmeye: 5:42pm On Apr 03, 2012
folks please it would be better if most of you just answer the question and stop posting bible verses gosh
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by eherbal(m): 5:43pm On Apr 03, 2012
What would Christ have done?
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Nobody: 5:43pm On Apr 03, 2012
madam president: Its only on tithe issues dat u guys sabi d bible.Wat of do not commit adultery n fornicate u not.Sista plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help ur broda plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
So ur husband hasn't stopped cheating on u?? Sorry!
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Emylexray(m): 5:50pm On Apr 03, 2012
Pleasd do know these...YOU WILL BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR EVERY WORD YOU SAY. I shake my head in pity to every comment i have read here. GOD WILL JUDGE! Keep on fanning heresy.
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by joe4christ(m): 5:53pm On Apr 03, 2012
[size=15pt] @OP Have u ever immagined what the world today would have been if God had withheld his sacrificial lamb (JESUS CHRIST) the one dearest to him simply because he cannot afford to let him suffer. Have you?

See you talk like this cos you aint got a clue the price that was paid for your salvation, if you'd known you would'nt be here deliberating on this issue, if God could sacrifice his ''ALL'' just in other to save you and now he demanded just 1/10 of your income allocated to his works so his works would not suffer, but yet you still find it difficult to, what would you call that?

Do you know each time you fail to pay your tithe the work of God on earth suffers setback?

Take your time to punder upon this scripture:

Malachi 3:8-10
New International Version (NIV)
8 “Will a mere mortal rob God? Yet you rob me.
“But you ask, ‘How are we robbing you?’
“In tithes and offerings. 9 You are under a curse—your
whole nation—because you are robbing me. 10 Bring
the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be
food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD
Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the
floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing
that there will not be room enough to store it. [/size]

And we all know no robber will inherit the kingdom of God nor even see God.

A word they day is enough for the wise!!!

Lastly, by the mercy of God i'm allowed to give you a hint about what is currently happening in terms of this situation (Though it's rare) cos heaven does not often give hint to people who are under God's TEST but you're just lucky to get this, here it is;

'God is currently testing you to see what's going to be your response cos he test his own to see how much they love him and willing to sacrifice for his sake and how far they are willing to obey his WORD, now your decision would determine how far you would go with God in life and how much he would bless you'

You recieved this hint by the mercy of God and cos the spirit permits me to tell you.

Goodluck on your decision, nough said!
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Emylexray(m): 5:53pm On Apr 03, 2012
Ijogz K: Even Jesus supports attending to immediate needs of people, even if it means skipping church service, tithes and any oda religious stuffs.
where in the Bible did Jesus suggest that?...in place of tithing?
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Emylexray(m): 5:55pm On Apr 03, 2012
kemmeye: folks please it would be better if most of you just answer the question and stop posting bible verses gosh
are you allergic to Bible verses?...
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Emylexray(m): 6:02pm On Apr 03, 2012
joe4christ: [size=15pt] @OP Have u ever immagined what the world today would have been if God had withheld his sacrificial lamb (JESUS CHRIST) the one dearest to him simply because he cannot afford to let him suffer. Have you?

See you talk like this cos you aint got a clue the price that was paid for your salvation, if you'd known you would'nt be here deliberating on this issue, if God could sacrifice his ''ALL'' just in other to save you and now he demanded just 1/10 of your income allocated to his works so his works would not suffer, but yet you still find it difficult to, what would you call that?

Do you know each time you fail to pay your tithe the work of God on earth suffers setback?

Take your time to punder upon this scripture:

Malachi 3:8-10
New International Version (NIV)
8 “Will a mere mortal rob God? Yet you rob me.
“But you ask, ‘How are we robbing you?’
“In tithes and offerings. 9 You are under a curse—your
whole nation—because you are robbing me. 10 Bring
the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be
food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD
Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the
floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing
that there will not be room enough to store it. [/size]

And we all know no robber will inherit the kingdom of God nor even see God.

A word they day is enough for the wise!!!

Lastly, by the mercy of God i'm allowed to give you a hint about what is currently happening in terms of this situation (Though it's rare) cos heaven does not often give hint to people who are under God's TEST but you're just lucky to get this, here it is;

'God is currently testing you to see what's going to be your response, and your decision would determine how far you would go with God in life and how much he would bless you'

You recieved this hint by the mercy of God and cos the spirit permits me to tell you.

Goodluck on your decision, nough said!
Joe!..GOD bless you, we need more of you on nairaland. I didn't know we have so many robbers here on NL(unfaithful tithers or non-tithers). People are so ingrained in their believe to such an extent that it has beclouded their sense of rightful reasoning.
THE BOTTOM LINE IS THIS: THE TITHE IS THE LORD'S. God bless you
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Goshen360(m): 6:06pm On Apr 03, 2012
kooto: Please can those saying that tithe has been abolish in the new testament show me where axactly, either in the doctrines of Christ or apostolic doctrines, I will really want to know because all the ealier quotes does not abolish it.

Do your really wanna know where tithe had been abolished in the bible? Le'me show you. Infact, go and read the whole of Hebrew chapter 7 and chapter 8 and then come back here is you still need explanations. However, let me pull some verses out for you now:

Heb 7:4 nkjv

Now consider how great this man [was], to whom even the patriarch Abraham gave a tenth of the spoils.(not his properties or his own salary as tithe teachers teaches today, mine added)

v6: but he whose genealogy is not derived from them received tithes from Abraham and blessed him who had the promises.

v9: Even Levi, who receives tithes, paid tithes through Abraham, so to speak,

v10: for he was still in the loins of his father when Melchizedek met him.

v11: Therefore, if perfection were through the Levitical priesthood (for under it the people received the law), what further need [was there] that another priest should rise according to the order of Melchizedek, and not be called according to the order of Aaron?

v12: For the priesthood being changed, of necessity there is also a change of the law.

Chapter 8:1
Now [this is] the main point of the things we are saying: We have such a High Priest, who is seated at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens,

8:13
In that He says, "A new [covenant]," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

Should you need more explanations, I will be willing to assist you sir.
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Goshen360(m): 6:07pm On Apr 03, 2012
Emylexray:
heresy!...*SMH*

Heresy? Prove me wrong or otherwise sir.
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Goshen360(m): 6:12pm On Apr 03, 2012
Emylexray:
where in the Bible did Jesus suggest that?...in place of tithing?

Jesus NEVER preached or taught tithing. Did he? If he did, can you show us. Neither did he pay tithe himself.
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by antartica(m): 6:14pm On Apr 03, 2012
[quote author=joe4christ]

Dearest in the lord i beg you by the mercies of the lord not to make that mistake, tithe is suppose to be given in obidience to the lord and not to attract God's judgement as a result of breaking God's command.
For the scripture cannot be broken, God is not steering at your resources each time you pay tithe, all he want to see in you is your obidience and persistence, what belongs to God is God's dont ever trade it for anything.

Here are some references:

Mal 3:10 - Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so
there will be enough food in my Temple.
If you do," says the LORD of Heaven's
Armies, "I will open the windows of
heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing
so great you won't have enough room to
take it in! Try it! Put me to the test!

Ezekiel 44:30 The best of all the firstfruits
and of all your special gifts will belong to
the priests. You are to give them the first
portion of your ,ground meal so that a
blessing may rest on your h

Were! Onye oshi.
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Goshen360(m): 6:15pm On Apr 03, 2012
@ Emylexray,

I guess you are preaching or saying what you are told in your church. If you are bible student, you will know for yourself that tithing is not part of the NT Christianity and if you have to tithe under the OT, it's not monetary. Prove me wrong sir.
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by funshint(m): 6:19pm On Apr 03, 2012
So u think God will punish u if u don't pay dat tithe? Your tithe is a filthy offering b4 God if u hv a brother or neighbour in need and u refuse to help. Do good to those around u, give them if u hv capacity to do so. As long as u do it u're doing it unto God. Simple!
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Emylexray(m): 6:22pm On Apr 03, 2012
goshen360:

Heresy? Prove me wrong or otherwise sir.
you threw more light on the new testament teachings of JESUS..now tell me, are we only to leave by the new testament teachings of Christ and forsake the old testament?
Secondly, if you say the teachings or laws of the old testament no longer hold, why then do we have the 10 commandments of GOD in Exodus chapter 20? Do we forfeit or abolish the commandments also because it was given by God in the old testament of which you said its laws(old testament) are no longer vaild? Please do justice to that sir.
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by kutchs: 6:38pm On Apr 03, 2012
Dont know y pple like raising unnecessary issues, if u feel giving ur tithe to ur church doesnt make sense give it to ur brother. My question to you is this: is the tithe the only money you?
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Emylexray(m): 6:38pm On Apr 03, 2012
goshen360:

Jesus NEVER preached or taught tithing. Did he? If he did, can you show us. Neither did he pay tithe himself.
WRONG SIR...JESUS taught tithing, he even paid tithe himself, the following bibles chapters attest to that fact:
LUKE 18 vs 12: '' i fast twice in the week, I EVEN GIVE TITHES OF ALL THAT I POSSESS''(jesus speaking)
LUKE 11 vs 42: ''But woe unto you, pharisees! For ye TITHE mint and rue all manner of herbs, and pass over judgement and the love of God: these ought ye have done, and not to leave the other undone''.
Jesus' teachings on tithing in the above Bible verses. Where do you stand now?
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Goshen360(m): 6:57pm On Apr 03, 2012
Emylexray:
you threw more light on the new testament teachings of JESUS..now tell me, are we only to leave by the new testament teachings of Christ and forsake the old testament?
Secondly, if you say the teachings or laws of the old testament no longer hold, why then do we have the 10 commandments of GOD in Exodus chapter 20? Do we forfeit or abolish the commandments also because it was given by God in the old testament of which you said its laws(old testament) are no longer vaild? Please do justice to that sir.

Good. I see you are ready to learn the truth.

Emylexray:
you threw more light on the new testament teachings of JESUS..now tell me, are we only to live by the new testament teachings of Christ and forsake the old testament?

Jesus summarized ALL the ten commandments into 2 (Love the Lord your God and Love your neighbour as yourself. I will not go into details explaining each of them) which makes the New Law of Christ.

Romans 8:2 nkjv
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.

You can see there are two kinds of law from the above verse. We have a new law towards God in the new testament when it comes to our resources with God and that is Giving, according to how you propose in your heart, cheerfully. 2 Cor 9:7. Okay.

Emylexray:

As for why do we have the 10 commandments? First, I have shown you the whole ten commandments had being summarized into 2 by Jesus. Why do we then have 10 commandments? The law was given to train the Israelites up in obedience towards God but it made nothing perfect. The law was a school master that brings us to Christ.

Gal 3:24-25 nkjv
Therefore the law was our tutor [to bring us] to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

The bible says this, not me sir.

Second Question: Do we abolish or forfeit the commandments given by God. I have shown you what God intended with the Law, that is, to train, tutor or school master us to Christ in obedience. Now that we have come to Christ, consider all the verses below and what it means:

Matthew 5:17-18 and John 17:4 Fulfilled
Romans 7:4 Dead to the Law
Romans 7:6 Delivered from the Law
Romans 10:4 and 2 Cor 3:13 Ended
2 cor 3:7,11,14 Done away with the Law
Galatians 3:13, 23-24 Redeemed from the law, No longer under the law
Gal 4:30; John 8:35 It is cast out
Ephesians 2:15, 2 cor 3:13 Abolished
Colossians 2:14 Blotted out
Heb 7:12, 18 Changed, Disannulled
Heb 8:7, 13 Replaced and Vanished away
Heb 10:9; Col 2:14 Taken away.

If you can answer TRUE to all of the above. Then you have just explained to yourself your questions. IF JESUS ALREADY FULFILLED ALL, WHY ARE WE STILL TRYING TO KEEP IT. IF IT HAD BEEN TAKEN AWAY (AS IF IT NEVER EXISTED) WHY ARE WE STILL BRING IT INTO THE SCENE? I HOPE I HAVE DONE JUSTIFY?
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by funshint(m): 6:58pm On Apr 03, 2012
Hah Nigerians! Religious in faith but evil in their actions; if most of us were to be in d position of d good samaritan we would hv neglected d injured man to die because of religious activities just like d levite. Perhaps wen on our way to redemption camp #thinking#

1 Like

Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Sijo01(f): 7:01pm On Apr 03, 2012
Hmmmmm.
I need a glass of water!
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by antartica(m): 7:06pm On Apr 03, 2012
Give help to the needies not to thieving pastors and bishops. The work of god is goodness,which ever way good is done pleases god. U can give without loving but U cant love without giving.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Conrad Mbewe Accuses TB Joshua Of Demonic Predictions & Fake Prophecies / How Chris & Anita Oyakhilome’s Children Are Coping / Funny Prayer Request(s) You've Ever Heard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.