Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,564 members, 7,812,829 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:09 PM

Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. (5682 Views)

Larisoft Clean Desktop: (re: Operation Prove Your Programming Skills) / How To Make Iphone Apps With No Programming Experience / Where To Go If You Need Programmers Or Advertise Your Programming Skills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by Beaf: 1:52am On May 28, 2012
Started with Perl, then VB, Java, then VbScript + Classic ASP, C#.
Of course there's the usual HTML, CSS, XML, SQL etc.

I bought my first computer and basically kept phucking it up big time (deleting system file style), cos I didn't have any clue about how to operate the damn thing (self taught). Those were hairy times! grin
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by eazyd(m): 2:30am On May 28, 2012
Is HTML/CSS classified as a programming language? did a web dev class and my class web project was chosen as the best design.. my prof suggested i further develop the site so i got some team members and we been coding and sharing ideas.Will definitely reveal it here when its finally completed.
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by eazyd(m): 2:45am On May 28, 2012
i remember back in the days in naija after high school, i went to NIIT Festac and paid 100k to learn Oracle 10G with no basic knowledge in programming, i had a slight migrane after my first day in class. I tried to cope but eventually dropped out, i nvr went back to NIIT again and i forfeited the cash. When i look back i laugh- long time coming!
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by ektbear: 2:47am On May 28, 2012
eazyd: Is HTML/CSS classified as a programming language? did a web dev class and my class web project was chosen as the best design.. my prof suggested i further develop the site so i got some team members and we been coding and sharing ideas.Will definitely reveal it here when its finally completed.

Not really. HTML is a language for describing the structure of text. CSS is a language for describing how it should be displayed.

Neither are programming languages. No variables, no for loops, no if statements etc.

Javascript is a programming language, though.
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by eazyd(m): 3:05am On May 28, 2012
ekt_bear:

Not really. HTML is a language for describing the structure of text. CSS is a language for describing how it should be displayed.

Neither are programming languages. No variables, no for loops, no if statements etc.

Javascript is a programming language, though.

HTML- Hyper text markup language
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by ektbear: 3:10am On May 28, 2012
Indeed. A language for structuring text. But not a programming language.
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by instinctg(m): 7:35am On May 28, 2012
Started with php, switched to ColdFusion (i love it !) and thinking of playing with java anytime soon.
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by lordZOUGA(m): 7:46am On May 28, 2012
C++ now and for a very long time...
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by okeyxyz(m): 8:18am On May 28, 2012
ekt_bear: Not really. HTML is a language for describing the structure of text. CSS is a language for describing how it should be displayed.

html/css has variables, the only thing that don't make them programming langs is that they don't have sequential tasks(ie: functions, if statements, loops, etc)
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by ektbear: 8:23am On May 28, 2012
How does one set and use variables in html and css? I honestly don't know how off the top of my head..
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by okeyxyz(m): 8:45am On May 28, 2012
ekt_bear: How does one set and use variables in html and css? I honestly don't know how off the top of my head..

a variable is simply an entity whose value can be assigned/changed within a valid range. people think html/css don't have variable b'cos they assume the variables to be the same as in c++/java/php/etc. few examples of html variable include character( eg: asci, unicode, iso-8859-1, etc), name(range includes:A-Z, a-z, hyphen(-), periods(.), underscore(_), colons(smiley), number(positive integer, zero).
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by ektbear: 9:25am On May 28, 2012
give a concrete example

set a variable, then use it to do something
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by okeyxyz(m): 9:53am On May 28, 2012
ekt_bear: give a concrete example
set a variable, then use it to do something

<p id="okeyxyz" style="color:#FF0000;">this is a paragraph</p>

variable name =okeyxyz,
type =color,
value =#FF0000
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by ektbear: 10:02am On May 28, 2012
hmm...not really sold on that example.

You are setting attributes for the tag p.

I suppose this is technically a variable you are setting. But eh...I dunno. Not convinced.

In any case, html is not a programming language.
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by okeyxyz(m): 10:25am On May 28, 2012
ekt_bear:
You are setting attributes for the tag p.

a html tag is likened to a data-structure, which can reference different variables(attributes/data-types) by the same name(id).

but we agree html/css is not a programming language
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by ektbear: 10:36am On May 28, 2012
Right. But data alone doesn't make a programming language.

You need to be able to manipulate the data grin

Anyway, yeah.
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by Beaf: 12:31pm On May 28, 2012
The argument about HTML being a programming language is an old one. Can you create computer instructions with it? Yes, you can.
The big question is if the computer instructions you can create with HTML are of a complex enough nature to tickle the fancy of the IT World.

Its all in the tiny details of what constitutes the base definitions of programming and of course, the usual "religious" positions of IT folk. wink
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by abubaka101: 12:36pm On May 28, 2012
@okeyxyz the explanation you gave on Variables is kind of confusing.
According to what I read and am trying to understand, Variables are containers for storing informations. And it went further to say that, the location of the variable is unimportant.
But, somehow, this explanation is still not clear.
Could you please explain to me what a variable is, and how to use them (please try explaining using understandable words, cause I only just started JavaScript).
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by okeyxyz(m): 1:33pm On May 28, 2012
abubaka101: @okeyxyz the explanation you gave on Variables is kind of confusing.
According to what I read and am trying to understand, Variables are containers for storing informations. And it went further to say that, the location of the variable is unimportant.
But, somehow, this explanation is still not clear.
Could you please explain to me what a variable is, and how to use them (please try explaining using understandable words, cause I only just started JavaScript).

your explanations above are correct, so i'm not sure what you don't understand. but to quickly run through it again: the most prominent attributes of a variable:

it has a name (to uniquely identify it, so that you can recall\reference it at anytime\any place)
a type (this defines the range of values that can be assigned\stored)
a value (the choice(s) from this range. essentially, when you assign a value, then you have executed the variable)

maybe it's the location part that's confusing you(since you r new). don't worry about it, a variable is a variable no matter where it is defined. in programming, the word for location is scope & there r different types of scope\location(eg: local, global, namespace, private, protected, public, structures, etc). like i said, don't worry about it, you'll understand when the time comes. you grow in knowledge.
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by abubaka101: 5:42pm On May 28, 2012
okeyxyz:

your explanations above are correct, so i'm not sure what you don't understand. but to quickly run through it again: the most prominent attributes of a variable:

it has a name (to uniquely identify it, so that you can recall\reference it at anytime\any place)
a type (this defines the range of values that can be assigned\stored)
a value (the choice(s) from this range. essentially, when you assign a value, then you have executed the variable)

maybe it's the location part that's confusing you(since you r new). don't worry about it, a variable is a variable no matter where it is defined. in programming, the word for location is scope & there r different types of scope\location(eg: local, global, namespace, private, protected, public, structures, etc). like i said, don't worry about it, you'll understand when the time comes. you grow in knowledge.
Thanks!!!
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by brosjay: 6:05pm On May 28, 2012
I studying the programming of the world , you no what that means .....
Then you i no what i no.
I ve been programming for years + and still programming,its fun for me being a programmer
From programming to databases,networking programming,open source just name it i know them .
thank God Jesus Christ is a Christian.I am blessed with so much wisdom inprogramming.

pathfinderjesse@yahoo.com

facebook : facebook.com/jessepathfinder
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by Kenooff(m): 5:54am On May 29, 2012
I don't know anything about programming and i seriously want to learn. Please can you suggest a language I can start from?
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by Kenooff(m): 5:57am On May 29, 2012
I don't know a thing about programming and i seriously want to learn, please can you suggest any language that i can start from
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by eazyd(m): 1:02am On May 31, 2012
Kenooff: I don't know a thing about programming and i seriously want to learn, please can you suggest any language that i can start from

start out with HTML/CSS
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by musty1987(m): 12:05am On Jun 01, 2012
av been coding in c++ for 3 years now . am gud at it cool
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by ektbear: 8:41am On Jun 01, 2012
Kenooff: I don't know a thing about programming and i seriously want to learn, please can you suggest any language that i can start from

This might be a good place to start:

http://inventwithpython.com/pygame/

More resources here:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by bb6xt(m): 1:39am On Jun 11, 2012
Started with vb6 in 2007 but ditched it after about 4 months for vb.net. Got really good with vb.net but became frustrated when I changed over to Ubuntu and couldn't port my vb stuff (even with mono and monodevelop IDE!), then I seriously started looking for a more cross-platform language, thought of Java but was already hooked on curly-braces-less and no-line-delimiter programming so I found Python (late 2009) and became inseparably attached to it (Django, PySide/PyQt, etc, etc). Am currently learning C++ just as a secondary language though. Javascript/HTML/CSS come with the web dev terrain hence I know a modest amount of each but I strictly consider myself a backends person (web apps, desktop apps and APIs).
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by OgidiOlu3(m): 9:57am On Jun 11, 2012
@op,
C++, html, css, javascript for 'bout 4 months now. I really luv c++. About to learn the 'almighty' java.

Kenooff: I don't know anything about programming and i seriously want to learn. Please can you suggest a language I can start from?

I'll suggest c++, it's fun!
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by hoodboi(m): 8:36am On Nov 16, 2012
3years xperience vb.net vb6 mysql php asp.net css html and a little bit of java. Programming has been d best thing that has ever happened to me, before I started I was a nobody, bt nw although I am still in school, everybody wants to work with me, I don't look for money or people it all just comes, even my girlfriend who is one of d prettiest girls in school came to me through programming. So its my life

1 Like

Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by abubaka101: 10:37pm On Nov 16, 2012
I just taught I should check back at this page to see any new updates.
Then I discovered that my post on this page dates back to May!
And when I last posted, I had just seen JavaScript for the first time.
But glory be to God, it's November now, and am proud to say that since my last post here, I've learnt the following: JavaScript, JQuery, AJAX, HTML DOM, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET (Web Pages Model) and XML. Like Okeyxyz said, "you grow in learning".
Now I've learnt them, it's now time for me to develop something worth the knowledge.
That's my testimony!
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by ciphoenix: 2:05pm On Nov 17, 2012
seems i'm alone using FASM. sad
Re: Your Programming Experience And Your Languages. by toria1980(f): 9:51pm On Nov 20, 2012
Doing database programming..vb to be precise...programming since 2yrs, bur unserious

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Just Completed Android E-voting App / Functional Programming For Java Programmer Scala Or Clojure? / How To Learn Database Management

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.