Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,402 members, 7,822,843 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:55 PM

Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? (1996 Views)

Itunes , Winamp and/or Windows Media Player 11 / Why Win 2000, Win Xp or Windows Vista When There's Win 98? / Linux or Windows Operating System? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by Staffy: 2:20pm On Apr 03, 2012
Which operating system is best Mac or Windows?
Personally I like to work on Windows, its much user friendly as compare to Mac. What do you think?
Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by Nobody: 9:06am On Apr 05, 2012
Mac: flashy, more windows than Windows, limited hardware carriers, over-hyped
Windows OS: been there done that, lots of hardware carriers, trusted brand, every app worth anything is first released on it.
Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by Nobody: 9:19am On Apr 05, 2012
This controversy often sparks heated arguments to say the least. Moreover, there have also been instances of fights, vandalism and worse over which is the best. Windows users claim that Mac users are arrogant, citing that old "computer for the rest of us" advertising while Mac users claim the same about Windows users. Who really cares?

The truth of the matter is that both are about the same. All they are, are different GUIs; slightly different ways of opening applications. Once the application is open, the only differences might be whether you use a single button mouse or a multi-button mouse, and even that difference vanishes with third party hardware.

First of all, we'll look at some pros and cons for each, then we'll dispel some myths perpetuated about both platforms. We'll also see how this plays into which might be better suited for Web design.
Remember, also, that both Microsoft and Apple share a good deal of technology. Both Windows and Mac OS use hundreds of patents shared between the two. Also remember that Microsoft makes a lot of software for the Mac including Microsoft Office which was created by a separate department for the Mac.

Typography - Mac's support of typography is a result of years and years involvement with the pre-press industry. Type-styles rendered with a Mac just plain transfer better when submitted to a service bureau. You get what you saw. If you're into pre-press Mac is the clear winner here.

Video Subsystem - Windows open architecture and PCI bus allow a wide non-saturated video subsystem. Video cards are made which exceed 6 Gigaflops of geometric rendering. Mac, though PCI, has a severely bottle-necked video subsystem so if you're into advanced 3-D rendering, Windows is the clear winner here.

Postscript Support - Mac natively supports both postscipt and PDF formats making them the clear winning here. Again, if you're into pre-press, Mac makes a lot of sense.

Raw Speed- Windows PCs have a serious edge here. Where time is money, processor speed can be very important. Regardless of how hard Mac advertising attempts to claim that the slower clock speed Macs are really just as fast as a PC, it just ain't so and proven so by every bench test out there. If you have the "need for speed" in gaming, software development, 3D rendering and other applications, Windows is the clear winner here.

Color Matching - Apple is the only OS and hardware which supports Colorsync™, the industry standard for"what you see is what you get" color matching. If you want your advertising copy of an egg to come out of the press with the same yellow you saw on the screen, Mac is for you.

Web Design - Now this will be a hot one. In my opinion the clear choice here is Windows. I say this for two reasons.

*. First, 95% of the people surfing the Web use Windows on PCs. If you want to be able to design in an atmosphere where you see pretty much what that 95% sees, then Windows just plain makes sense.

*. Secondly, though many technologies are available for the Mac, Windows technology isn't and much of the Web uses this technology. If you want to take advantage of .NET technology or ASP, it's just way easier to implement from a Windows platform.

Ease of Use - I give Mac the edge here,though the difference is pretty small with the release of Windows XP. Windows binary Plug-in-Play is no longer "Plug-n-Pray" and though technologically superior to Mac doesn't get the job done as nicely. By using nearly draconian messures and monopolistic threats, Apple has been able to maintain tight control over makers of third party hardware. What this means to you is an easier to use system, but with much less choice in add-ons.

Software Availability - Though many might argue that anything you might need is available for Mac, and though almost all generic task software is, industry specific software is not. For example, if you own . . . say a lawnmower repair shop, you might want software written exclusively to run lawn mower repair shops. You just won't find it on the shelf or by mail order for the Mac, while you have several to choose from for Windows, maybe even for free or cheap as shareware downloads.
You might argue that you can adapt database and spreadsheet software to need, but it's just not as easy. Advantage to Windows.

Coolness Factor - What can I say? Mac wins. Look at that new i-Mac or the i-Pod. It beats a biege box.

Geek Factor (I'm one) - Windows wins (Linux beats that and BSD might beat Linux)
Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by candylips(m): 9:46am On Apr 05, 2012
SimonAndal: Mac: flashy, more windows than Windows, limited hardware carriers, over-hyped.

You obviously have not used a mac before
Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by Nobody: 10:12am On Apr 05, 2012
I've used a Mac. Didn't like it. In Nigeria, you'd be hard-pressed to find anybody that uses Mac.
Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by Nobody: 10:16am On Apr 05, 2012
Only Apple makes mac devices. But Samsung, HP, Dell, Lenovo, Acer, in fact, every hardware maker "Recommend Windows 7". Apple's all alone! embarassed
Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by candylips(m): 6:18pm On Apr 05, 2012
SimonAndal: I've used a Mac. Didn't like it. In Nigeria, you'd be hard-pressed to find anybody that uses Mac.

What didn't you like about the Mac be more specific

People don't use Mac in Nigeria because they can't afford it. not because of functionality.
Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by candylips(m): 6:20pm On Apr 05, 2012
SimonAndal: Only Apple makes mac devices. But Samsung, HP, Dell, Lenovo, Acer, in fact, every hardware maker "Recommend Windows 7". Apple's all alone! embarassed

You can Install Mac on a PC too or a Virtual machine on a PC
Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by Kobojunkie: 9:07pm On Apr 05, 2012
@Poster, what you need is a life!

1 Like

Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by Nobody: 8:25am On Apr 06, 2012
candylips:

You can Install Mac on a PC too or a Virtual machine on a PC
_
Yeah, but PC makers don't recommend it. They "recommend Windows 7."
Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by 100gigabytes: 9:19pm On Apr 06, 2012
mac or die trying
Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by Maleeq(m): 10:43am On Apr 07, 2012
candylips:

What didn't you like about the Mac be more specific

People don't use Mac in Nigeria because they can't afford it. not because of functionality.
...and most people that use it in Nigeria do so for bragging rights! "I've got a 300grand macbook, feel me!! cool"

I still don't see why I'd shell out thousands for a mac...a PC more than meets my needs, and I'd still get change in my pocket!

I know a lot of mac-fanboys would jump at me stating reasons why mac is king, well, let me highlight some points for you to clarify before you rant:

1. "Macs hardware is much rugged": why dont you compare it to a PC in the same price band, like a top of the range AlienWare?

2. "Macs don't have viruses": and so does PC/Linux machines. A PC isn't just "Windows". Plus, ware attacks should be attributed to the user's "stupidity"...why would you click on an application or link you didn't request in the first place? (as is the foremost cause of viral infections). Makes me wonder, if the US DoD still uses Windows and Linux over Mac, are macs really that most secure?

3. "Mac is proprietary and built to optimize the hardware": its OS core is a leech off *NIX, and they are so closed source because they cant stand the competition if they venture be open.

4. "Macs are better media devices": not unless you enjoy being ass tied to iTunes and DRM rental/media purchases( which Apple refuses to share with anyone). Apple's Front Row is just "tweaked interface iTunes". Video editing? For less than the price of a Mac, a PC can be upgraded (graphics card, RAM etc) to handle it...bringing back to "You can't upgrade your Mac without violating the warranty". What they give, is what your stuck with!

5. Why does service packs/OS updates/patches for macs cost $$$? After shelling $$$ to purchase the machine, why cant it be free like every other known OS? (How they get away with this still bits me...if Windows tried it, there'd be a massive lawsuit drama...Apple Is Evil grin)

6. "Macs can run Windows": the question really should be "when will OS X be good enough to not need to run Windows at all?" That ability to boot up Windows is not so much a Mac victory as it is Bill Gates’ triumph. He now has compatibility with his competitor, which was the whole idea in the first place. Apple should follow suit, but it wont. Fact remains, its still a PC world we live in.

7. "Macs dont experience BSOD": excuse me? True Mac is a stable operating system with its Unix core (copy-copy). But a stable operating system doesn't make a stable overall computing experience. The OS is stable; lots of the applications (especially those not designed by Apple) aren't (Apple isn't exactly fond of releasing its full specs to the outside world). Random crashes, hangs and programs quitting for no apparent reason are, in my experience, far more common on the Mac than PC. And it often takes a restart to get the errant application to launch again.

To wrap it up, the choice of "best" is relative and depends on the user and his needs.

1 Like

Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by greentea1: 1:34pm On Apr 07, 2012
I like Windows
[img]http://www.spgames.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by Olisa74(m): 1:56pm On Apr 07, 2012
Nice try Maleeq!

According to Chris Pirillo, a Windows enthusiast, here are 50 reasons why you should switch from Windows to Apples Mac OS X:

1. Seems that the future of Windows development is happening largely for corporate environments and customers. I don’t take issue with this other than being someone who doesn’t live or work inside a corporate environment at home.

2. Excellent power management in OS X. When I close the lid to my MacBook Pro, it falls asleep. When I open the lid to my MacBook Pro, it wakes up. Imagine that! Seems to be the case 99% of the time, and it happens quickly.

3. I’m ready to experience different frustrations. OS X isn’t perfect, certainly – but I already see its noticeably more stable than Windows Vista has been. Kernel Panics at least look prettier than BSODs. smiley Seriously, I just find OS X’s update schedule to be more to my liking – instead of waiting for gigantic service packs, I get minor point releases along the way to major revisions to the OS. Bugs are going to happen, but knowing that showstopping / security bugs are likely to be squished quicker gives me amazing peace of mind.

4. There’s more interesting, useful, beautiful, and affordable software being developed for OS X. If you still believe that there’s no software for “the Mac,” you’re simply a fool who hasn’t done his or her research.

5. VMware Fusion makes it possible to have every operating system at my fingertips (as well as every app that runs on ‘em, FTW). Performance and stability is a reality, not a dream. More importantly, with USB 2.0 support in VMware Fusion, I have near complete compatibility with any external hardware. Parallels is also there, which should keep competition lively.

6. I believe that the future of Windows (or any OS software layer) will be experienced in a virtual machine of some sort. People have been dual booting for years – now I can triple-task cross-platform in seconds flat.

7. Not to say that Microsoft or Linux haven’t made great strides in recent years, but… at least Leopard feels like only one team was developing the UI. It’s not quite perfect, but closer to what perfect should be. I’m not a huge fan of iTunes or every other Apple utility – but at least with Leopard, they’re trying to make them look and work the same way.

8. I love the fact that most programs and their associated libraries are self-contained (apps). There’s no stress in installing / uninstalling most programs, and for true cleanup jobs there’s always AppZapper.

9. I’m not a huge fan of the Dock for task management, but Quicksilver has virtually no Windows equivalent (in terms of elegance and scriptability, although it’s still completely overwhelming to me right now). The dock isn’t a shining example of where OS X is “better,” but I do appreciate the context menu options for each of the Dock’s icons for “Open at Login” management.

10. Spotlight is to Windows Desktop Search as a BMW Z4 is to a Ford Pinto (in terms of performance, usability, and UI). No contest. I’m sure some would argue the opposite, but… they’re also probably the extreme developer “but it works if you just learn how to use it right” types. Feh.

11. The Apple community has been infiltrated by enough people who aren’t smug. You’re not better than me just because you run another OS or support another vendor, nor are you any less of a geek. Not every Windows user is a neanderthal, although some of their dated arguments would make them out to be. I think that most consumers are caught up in the idea that you NEED Windows for everything at home. You don’t.

12. My iPhone is not going away anytime soon. Would I switch for better compatibility with a communications device? Not necessarily, but if the future of OS X is in the present of the iPhone… they’re going to gain consumer market share at blinding speed. Remember, I wanted to hate this device – after years of being a dyed-in-the-wool Windows Mobile advocate.

13. The spyware / malware / virus threat is diminished by an extreme degree. Not to say that one should avoid running protective layers of software or hardware, but… I’m just not as nervous when I try a new app on OS X.

14. Many of my friends are considering making the switch as well. This dovetails nicely with my first point. I can tell you that just by showing off the fun features of CamTwist and Colloquy with my live stream, a few of those community members have already purchased MacBooks – or are strongly considering doing so in the not-too-distant future. Interestingly enough, those are two FREE apps that work amazingly better than most overpriced Windows shareware titles.

15. Microsoft Windows completely abandoned its power users, period. Where are the Windows Vista “Ultimate” add-ons? Where are the new Power Toys? Why doesn’t Windows Media Player have podcast support yet (despite me telling them to integrate RSS back when WMP9 was in beta, years before podcasting was a buzzword)? I’m not saying that Windows is dead – not by any stretch of the imagination.

16. Boot Camp, if all else fails.

17. A single SKU of Leopard is both 32-bit and 64-bit compatible. This, alone, is a fantastic reason to embrace the platform. It’s seamless. Why should a consumer have to come to a decision on which code to run – or understand the differences between them in the first place? Remember, I’m to be considered a “home” user.

18. Time Machine. Wow. Can it really be this simple? “Simply select your AirPort Disk as the backup disk for each computer and the whole family can enjoy the benefits of Time Machine.” Do you understand what that means? And no, Windows Volume Shadow Copy is not the SAME thing.

19. Leopard’s Finder will allegedly search networked computers seamlessly, as well as allow you to access those results remotely (through a paid .Mac account, which would totally be worth purchasing at that point).

20. Java app performance is decent on OS X, and the same code looks infinitely better when it’s not running on Windows. In fact, most third-party apps are very well designed so as to integrate seamlessly with the entire OS. That’s beyond refreshing.

21. You never need to defrag a Mac’s hard disk.

22. Adium is there – an Instant Messaging client that allows you to use AIM, Yahoo, Google Talk, and other accounts through a single client. It’d be my replacement for Miranda IM. Skype also works on the Mac. I expect to see even more universal IM apps reveal themselves over the coming months.

23. Bonjour is proving to be quite useful on my home network. Computers with Bonjour-enabled services are automatically discovered with virtually no fuss – even my networked Windows machines have been playing along.

24. Joining wireless networks in OS X is easier and more refined, easily accessible. The tools for networking don’t seem overly complex, either.

25. Setting up services such as Windows File Sharing, FTP, and even Web sharing can be done on OS X with just a few clicks. If you’re telling me that I could set up FTP just as easily in Windows, then… it obviously can’t be done as easily.

26. Almost all of the audio and video formats out there can be played on the Mac with Video LAN Player (VLC). One less barrier to entry.

27. Great Web browsers that work in Windows also work on the Mac (Firefox, Opera, SeaMonkey, Flock). The only exception here is Internet Explorer, or any third-party overlay to IE (such as Maxthon, which has been taking a slight turn for the worse with 2.0). Of course, there’s always the “invisible” virtual machine possibility (read: VMware Fusion’s Unity mode). Moreover, Safari / WebKit is gaining speed on all platforms.

28. Erasing deleted files placed in your trash (also known as a Recycle Bin in Windows) can be securely erased in OS X. No need to mess with third-party software.

29. You can still right-click in OS X – and the way Apple decided to implement it is far more convenient than you’d think. In fact, I find double-tapping the mouse pad far more intuitive than using a second mouse button. Didn’t take long to get used to it at all.

30. Wanna set up a VNC server on your Mac? No problem, its already apart of the operating system! Moreover, the feature isn’t buried three levels deep. It’s sitting right there in the Finder. Moreover, unlike Windows Remote Desktop, a Screen Sharing session doesn’t lock the remote user out of his / her session – one reason I’ve always loathed RDC.

31. Microsoft doesn’t have an iLife. Not even close. It has a set of multimedia applications, but they don’t seem to be cohesive in the slightest. Maybe things will get better as Live continues to evolve?

32. You really don’t get to play the blame game with Apple. They make the hardware AND the operating system, so… they really know what’s going on, and they really know if the problem is widespread.

33. A Mac costs about the same as a comparable Windows PC – for hardware and (for argument’s sake for those who don’t believe me) bundled software. And for those who still claim that Macs are still more expensive, they obviously have never seen or priced a gaming rig. Price / cost is relative. If you want a cheap machine, that’s your prerogative. The resell value on Macs has always been higher than that of an equivalent “Windows” machine.

34. You can record audio and video conversations from iChat 4.0 (natively). That’s pretty amazing, as it takes the idea of “video chat” and puts it into a time-shifted space. This isn’t just useful for those of us who conduct guest interviews regularly, but for home users who want to save calls for posterity.

35. Dashcode appears to take the geekery out of widget-building. Moreover, the new “Web Clippings” widget appears to work better than anything I’ve seen come from Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, et al. This is putting the user first…

36. With a .Mac subscription, you can save common local settings as global ones. You only have to configure your Dock or System Preferences on one machine to have those same changes appear on all machines connected to your .Mac account. Unbelievable.

37. Unlike Windows font management, you can activate fonts as you need them within Leopard. This translates to less wasted overhead by fonts that remain largely unused in memory. I can only imagine this results in far less resource-intensive sessions. Genius.

38. Automator now supports UI Recording and Playback, which means you can create “macros” without understanding a lick of logic. The last time I saw a native macro recorder in Windows was… v3.0? You don’t have to be a geek to gain access to geeky-cool features.

39. Can’t tell you how much I love Spring Loaded folders. Love ‘em.

40. Wikipedia information, while not always accurate, certainly stands to be updated a lot more frequently than documentation that ships with (or from) the operating system designer. That Apple has taken the step to integrate access directly from within the Dictionary tool…? It’s just kinda nice to have there. They’re placing trust in the idea of community rather than trying to hide it from us.

41. Mail comes with “Data Detectors” which will highlight phone numbers, addresses, etc. You can then choose to do something with that information, like map it or store it as an appointment, contact, etc. This is a feature I had not seen outside of a pricey plugin for Microsoft Outlook. I may not use Mail.app, but at least they’re continuing to improve its functionality – ugly capsule toolbar icons notwithstanding.

42. The Preview tool ain’t no joke – with annotations, basic image editing, Core Animation zooming and scrolling, GPS Metadata support, batch operations, etc. It’s all at your fingertips.

43. Expose works. ‘Nuff said. The only thing that surpasses OS X’s open window management is Compiz Fusion. None of this Flip3D nonsense.

44. Help. No, seriously – Help is the way Help should have always been all along. I related my “Help” experience a few weeks ago, with the system not just finding what I was looking for help on, but taking me directly to the spot where I needed to be. I’m pretty sure the Help system isn’t 100% accurate, but it hasn’t disappointed me yet.

45. Guest accounts are purged after every session in Leopard. Wow. Guest privileges, on the other hand, seem to be lacking somewhat on the security front (but most of my Guests are computer clueless).

46. I love the Universal Access zoom feature – and have used it so many times for countless reasons. Really comes in handy when you’re trying to show something to someone from across the room. Never found anything close to its simplicity anywhere else.

47. Call me crazy, but I love the fact that in OS X, the keyboard shortcut for opening Preferences is always the same (Command + Comma). Convenient. Dependable. Quick.

48. Device compatibility doesn’t seem to be as much of an issue as it used to be with the Mac. While I couldn’t get my brand new HP LaserJet to work inside of Vista, it works flawlessly inside of OS X 10.4 (despite having to use HP’s scanning software). Still, with any USB hardware hiccups in Leopard, compatibility issues are erased with VMware Fusion until newer software is unleashed.

49. Thanks to another one of our sponsors, GoToMeeting, I’ve had the opportunity to see quite a few of my friends’ desktops. Quite a few have gone to great lengths to make their installation of Windows look and feel like Mac OS X. At that point, what’s the point of sticking with Windows? Just about the only thing Mac users might want from Windows is the Explorer (FTFF) – and even then, there’s ‘Path Finder.’

50. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: Windows users need Apple’s software more than Mac users need Microsoft’s. That’s just a cold, hard fact. And given my severe disappointment with just about everything in Mac Office 2008, I’m even further driven away from Microsoft’s desktop software.
Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Apr 07, 2012
^^^
I saw something 'bout VLC. Really? That's a reason to switch to Mac? The moment I saw that I stopped reading.
Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by Olisa74(m): 4:22pm On Apr 07, 2012
SimonAndal: ^^^
I saw something 'bout VLC. Really? That's a reason to switch to Mac? The moment I saw that I stopped reading.

Many years ago people where put off Mac's because of video and audio issues. WMV files could not be played directly on Macs without the need for third party software. The arrival of programs like VLC changed all that. Chis Pirillo is giving 50 combined reasons why he feels you should switch to OS X. He is not saying here are 50 reasons choose one.
Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by candylips(m): 5:28pm On Apr 07, 2012
olisa has said it all.

I hate it when people just bash Mac OSX and call people that use it fanboys.

I was once an exclusive windows user until i did Vista and i nearly went mad, i tried a mac and i have never looked back since.

Some people also complain that Macs are expensive. Well go get a Mac Mini with 2GB memory 500GB HDD Core i5 2.3Mkz. It costs just around £500 / $500 . If you can't afford $500 then u have a different problem
Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Apr 07, 2012
Question: What can a Mac OS Lion on steroids do for me that a Windows xp can't overdo?
Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by Maleeq(m): 6:06pm On Apr 07, 2012
@olisa
Really? You still did not attempt to address those I listed. And the best you can do is list yours based on someone's opinion that borders on applications more than the OS/hardware...

Anyway, address the in-line responses (hopefully you can this time around):

Olisa74: Nice try Maleeq!

According to Chris Pirillo, a Windows enthusiast, here are 50 reasons why you should switch from Windows to Apples Mac OS X:

1. Seems that the future of Windows development is happening largely for corporate environments and customers. I don’t take issue with this other than being someone who doesn’t live or work inside a corporate environment at home. Further strengthens my point that Mac is a fanboy tool...fancy over actual need

2. Excellent power management in OS X. When I close the lid to my MacBook Pro, it falls asleep. When I open the lid to my MacBook Pro, it wakes up. Imagine that! Seems to be the case 99% of the time, and it happens quickly. I am replying from a Lenovo Thinkpad, and I sleep and wake up just a easily. If the mac does is faster by 5seconds, is that reason enough to tag it supreme?

3. I’m ready to experience different frustrations. OS X isn’t perfect, certainly – but I already see its noticeably more stable than Windows Vista has been. Kernel Panics at least look prettier than BSODs. smiley Seriously, I just find OS X’s update schedule to be more to my liking – instead of waiting for gigantic service packs, I get minor point releases along the way to major revisions to the OS. Bugs are going to happen, but knowing that showstopping / security bugs are likely to be squished quicker gives me amazing peace of mind.
Ok, kernel panics are better? yeah, just as suicide and killing yourself are different. And the update schedule in mac, it ain't free! Atleast my windows service packs are as free as beer! Drink up buddy! Also, Mac get security updates light years after the industry has applied it. You don't want me to mention java vulnerability fixes as example?

4. There’s more interesting, useful, beautiful, and affordable software being developed for OS X. If you still believe that there’s no software for “the Mac,” you’re simply a fool who hasn’t done his or her research. Ok, beautiful should be the keyword as Apple has the knack for overlaying almost all application UI with their own themes, but more softwares than windows? Dude, seriously??

5. VMware Fusion makes it possible to have every operating system at my fingertips (as well as every app that runs on ‘em, FTW). Performance and stability is a reality, not a dream. More importantly, with USB 2.0 support in VMware Fusion, I have near complete compatibility with any external hardware. Parallels is also there, which should keep competition lively.And VMware is Mac now, yes? Dude please. Beautiful thing you mention the need for virtualization on the "superior" mac to use certain external hardware. Apple's tight fist makes great/useful hardware compatibility a nightmare for most mac user. Doubt me? ok, try plugging the nifty and simply U3 flash drives in to a mac. If it works, I'd dance on national TV butt-nikkid

6. I believe that the future of Windows (or any OS software layer) will be experienced in a virtual machine of some sort. People have been dual booting for years – now I can triple-task cross-platform in seconds flat. An mac pioneered Virtualization??

7. Not to say that Microsoft or Linux haven’t made great strides in recent years, but… at least Leopard feels like only one team was developing the UI. It’s not quite perfect, but closer to what perfect should be. I’m not a huge fan of iTunes or every other Apple utility – but at least with Leopard, they’re trying to make them look and work the same way.Only one closed team developing the mac, while taking peeks at others (*nix) without sharing theirs. And in your books, that is nice They look and work the same because the use is left with almost no choice/alternatives

8. I love the fact that most programs and their associated libraries are self-contained (apps). There’s no stress in installing / uninstalling most programs, and for true cleanup jobs there’s always AppZapper.While windows may have setup prone applications, tonnes of applications are self contained too.

9. I’m not a huge fan of the Dock for task management, but Quicksilver has virtually no Windows equivalent (in terms of elegance and scriptability, although it’s still completely overwhelming to me right now). The dock isn’t a shining example of where OS X is “better,” but I do appreciate the context menu options for each of the Dock’s icons for “Open at Login” management.A dozen dock applets exists, which in some PC, come pre-installed. So, whats the biggie?

10. Spotlight is to Windows Desktop Search as a BMW Z4 is to a Ford Pinto (in terms of performance, usability, and UI). No contest. I’m sure some would argue the opposite, but… they’re also probably the extreme developer “but it works if you just learn how to use it right” types. Feh.Fine, it may index better than desktop search, but personally, any organized person should know where there files are located. So are we safe to assume mac fanboys don't remember stuffs they've got? tongue

11. The Apple community has been infiltrated by enough people who aren’t smug. You’re not better than me just because you run another OS or support another vendor, nor are you any less of a geek. Not every Windows user is a neanderthal, although some of their dated arguments would make them out to be. I think that most consumers are caught up in the idea that you NEED Windows for everything at home. You don’t.I think mac users fall into the "smug, I am better than you cos i run mac" category. They are the ones that always seem to point out, and quick in doing that, flaws in other OS

12. My iPhone is not going away anytime soon. Would I switch for better compatibility with a communications device? Not necessarily, but if the future of OS X is in the present of the iPhone… they’re going to gain consumer market share at blinding speed. Remember, I wanted to hate this device – after years of being a dyed-in-the-wool Windows Mobile advocate.Irrelevant to topic...pickup the iPhone versus Android maybe

13. The spyware / malware / virus threat is diminished by an extreme degree. Not to say that one should avoid running protective layers of software or hardware, but… I’m just not as nervous when I try a new app on OS X.Noble, atleast for once...acknowledge the mighty mac isn't flawless! grin

14. Many of my friends are considering making the switch as well. This dovetails nicely with my first point. I can tell you that just by showing off the fun features of CamTwist and Colloquy with my live stream, a few of those community members have already purchased MacBooks – or are strongly considering doing so in the not-too-distant future. Interestingly enough, those are two FREE apps that work amazingly better than most overpriced Windows shareware titles.Keyword in bold there...fancy is the selling point of mac! And really cos of two applications that aren't natively on a mac, you judge macs better?

15. Microsoft Windows completely abandoned its power users, period. Where are the Windows Vista “Ultimate” add-ons? Where are the new Power Toys? Why doesn’t Windows Media Player have podcast support yet (despite me telling them to integrate RSS back when WMP9 was in beta, years before podcasting was a buzzword)? I’m not saying that Windows is dead – not by any stretch of the imagination.Windows admits the flaw called Vista. Pitch comparisons to their flagship XP, why not?

16. Boot Camp, if all else fails.Sorry, so you mean even though I shell out $$$$ to get a mac, there's still room for fail? and I have to resort to dualboots/virtualization? So mac isn't all encompassing after all. This point totally ruins your #50

17. A single SKU of Leopard is both 32-bit and 64-bit compatible. This, alone, is a fantastic reason to embrace the platform. It’s seamless. Why should a consumer have to come to a decision on which code to run – or understand the differences between them in the first place? Remember, I’m to be considered a “home” user. Just as easy as it is for a "home" user to decipher: "For Mac OS X 10.2.1.45 or later" before installing an mac application, yes? And windows auto supports addressing issues regardless of bits. As with any OS, running a 64bit app on a 32bit core results in, theoretically, double memory addressing cycle.

18. Time Machine. Wow. Can it really be this simple? “Simply select your AirPort Disk as the backup disk for each computer and the whole family can enjoy the benefits of Time Machine.” Do you understand what that means? And no, Windows Volume Shadow Copy is not the SAME thing. And just how different is Volume Shadow copy? They both create incremental backup of files. I have machines on my network that all save shadow copies onto a single SAN, which the AirPort Disk simply mimics!

19. Leopard’s Finder will allegedly search networked computers seamlessly, as well as allow you to access those results remotely (through a paid .Mac account, which would totally be worth purchasing at that point).Paid $$$$ for the mac, and i still have to pay for a search utility?? And I like the connotation, "Allegedly"...you ain't even sure it works, but trust mac, pay and find out if it does!

20. Java app performance is decent on OS X, and the same code looks infinitely better when it’s not running on Windows. In fact, most third-party apps are very well designed so as to integrate seamlessly with the entire OS. That’s beyond refreshing. Like point #4, Apple overlays almost all application UI with their own themes. So cos my java application (even though mac has its implementation of java, after stealing a peak at its free source...something the mac wont ever do with their code prints) now wears a new clothe, its suddenly better? Just like saying red-blinkers on a honda makes it better cos toyota have amber-colored blinkers!!

21. You never need to defrag a Mac’s hard disk. One point at last! But still, if I can defrag my PC and be okay, it beats shelling out $$$$ for a mac

22. Adium is there – an Instant Messaging client that allows you to use AIM, Yahoo, Google Talk, and other accounts through a single client. It’d be my replacement for Miranda IM. Skype also works on the Mac. I expect to see even more universal IM apps reveal themselves over the coming months. Scrap this point. Makes no sense. Chat client as a basis? There's more to life that social networking...

23. Bonjour is proving to be quite useful on my home network. Computers with Bonjour-enabled services are automatically discovered with virtually no fuss – even my networked Windows machines have been playing along.Bonjour is just another implementation of Zero configuration networking (zeroconf) which by the way wasn't invented by mac.

24. Joining wireless networks in OS X is easier and more refined, easily accessible. The tools for networking don’t seem overly complex, either.Ok, with 2 clicks on windows, I can join a wireless network. Unless the mac does it in half a click, this point is nothing!!!

25. Setting up services such as Windows File Sharing, FTP, and even Web sharing can be done on OS X with just a few clicks. If you’re telling me that I could set up FTP just as easily in Windows, then… it obviously can’t be done as easily.Here we go again...Mac needs WINDOWS file sharing. Aren't you guys self sufficient? FTP and Web sharing have several implementations. If by easy you refer to "apple locking you down with the implementation it wants for the user", then the mac is a winner!

26. Almost all of the audio and video formats out there can be played on the Mac with Video LAN Player (VLC). One less barrier to entry.VLC hahahahahahahahaha...I think i just pissed my pants.

27. Great Web browsers that work in Windows also work on the Mac (Firefox, Opera, SeaMonkey, Flock). The only exception here is Internet Explorer, or any third-party overlay to IE (such as Maxthon, which has been taking a slight turn for the worse with 2.0). Of course, there’s always the “invisible” virtual machine possibility (read: VMware Fusion’s Unity mode). Moreover, Safari / WebKit is gaining speed on all platforms.Another admission that windows have great applications. Plus, Apple don't own WebKit.

28. Erasing deleted files placed in your trash (also known as a Recycle Bin in Windows) can be securely erased in OS X. No need to mess with third-party software.Can I really just hit the delete button on the mac and have a file deleted/moved to trash?? Answer that.

29. You can still right-click in OS X – and the way Apple decided to implement it is far more convenient than you’d think. In fact, I find double-tapping the mouse pad far more intuitive than using a second mouse button. Didn’t take long to get used to it at all.Irrelevant. Peripheral device, not core OS

30. Wanna set up a VNC server on your Mac? No problem, its already apart of the operating system! Moreover, the feature isn’t buried three levels deep. It’s sitting right there in the Finder. Moreover, unlike Windows Remote Desktop, a Screen Sharing session doesn’t lock the remote user out of his / her session – one reason I’ve always loathed RDC.If Windows comes with pre-installed applications, you scream. Mac comes with VNC and you applauded it. VNC isn't proprietary to mac. Just another application/protocol/standard with several implementations

31. Microsoft doesn’t have an iLife. Not even close. It has a set of multimedia applications, but they don’t seem to be cohesive in the slightest. Maybe things will get better as Live continues to evolve?...and Mac's dont have Windows Media Player!!! Are you still comparing installable applications

32. You really don’t get to play the blame game with Apple. They make the hardware AND the operating system, so… they really know what’s going on, and they really know if the problem is widespread.Closed source and the world frowns upon it. This leaves the user with no upgrade choice. Tell me, can you built or tweak the hardware of you mac, successfully, and not violate almost all apple's warranty As a PC user, if Intel releases a new range of CPU, i can easily upgrade...mac boys, you have to wait years (as you did with dual core CPUs) before Apple deems you fit to share the fun!

33. A Mac costs about the same as a comparable Windows PC – for hardware and (for argument’s sake for those who don’t believe me) bundled software. And for those who still claim that Macs are still more expensive, they obviously have never seen or priced a gaming rig. Price / cost is relative. If you want a cheap machine, that’s your prerogative. The resell value on Macs has always been higher than that of an equivalent “Windows” machine.Maybe, the resell value may drop, but does it make the computing experience drop? Prices naturally drop when there are new and better wares out there. Macs may be stationary cos you are stuck with a model for ages...before release!

34. You can record audio and video conversations from iChat 4.0 (natively). That’s pretty amazing, as it takes the idea of “video chat” and puts it into a time-shifted space. This isn’t just useful for those of us who conduct guest interviews regularly, but for home users who want to save calls for posterity.I am getting demoralized you still compare installable applications...and the list, another IM client!

35. Dashcode appears to take the geekery out of widget-building. Moreover, the new “Web Clippings” widget appears to work better than anything I’ve seen come from Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, et al. This is putting the user first…Admittedly, I dont know this is about. Perhaps, it points out its irrelevance grin

36. With a .Mac subscription, you can save common local settings as global ones. You only have to configure your Dock or System Preferences on one machine to have those same changes appear on all machines connected to your .Mac account. Unbelievable.A dozen, free and paid, cloud services provide same feature for PCs

37. Unlike Windows font management, you can activate fonts as you need them within Leopard. This translates to less wasted overhead by fonts that remain largely unused in memory. I can only imagine this results in far less resource-intensive sessions. Genius.And by activate, you mean "there are not natively on the mac until you need them"? They reside on the system still. Plus, Mac seems to be the only OS that has a list of "Dont delete fonts". Windows intuitively has replacement fonts! how cool is that?

38. Automator now supports UI Recording and Playback, which means you can create “macros” without understanding a lick of logic. The last time I saw a native macro recorder in Windows was… v3.0? You don’t have to be a geek to gain access to geeky-cool features.Having used this and like it, doesn't still make me see it reason enough to choose mac over pc. "DataLoader" on PC does way more that Automator. Google it.

39. Can’t tell you how much I love Spring Loaded folders. Love ‘em. Yawns, isn't that on Windows?

40. Wikipedia information, while not always accurate, certainly stands to be updated a lot more frequently than documentation that ships with (or from) the operating system designer. That Apple has taken the step to integrate access directly from within the Dictionary tool…? It’s just kinda nice to have there. They’re placing trust in the idea of community rather than trying to hide it from us.Basing better on a 3rd party tool is mac logic now? how cool? Even my locally created application interfaces with wikipedia. Talking about "not hiding stuffs", why not ask them to open source their libraries?

41. Mail comes with “Data Detectors” which will highlight phone numbers, addresses, etc. You can then choose to do something with that information, like map it or store it as an appointment, contact, etc. This is a feature I had not seen outside of a pricey plugin for Microsoft Outlook. I may not use Mail.app, but at least they’re continuing to improve its functionality – ugly capsule toolbar icons notwithstanding.Ok, what year and widnows version is this review of your based

42. The Preview tool ain’t no joke – with annotations, basic image editing, Core Animation zooming and scrolling, GPS Metadata support, batch operations, etc. It’s all at your fingertips.Ok, what year and widnows version is this review of your based

43. Expose works. ‘Nuff said. The only thing that surpasses OS X’s open window management is Compiz Fusion. None of this Flip3D nonsense.Again, another point at last. Maybe i shouldn't lose faith in this guy afterall

44. Help. No, seriously – Help is the way Help should have always been all along. I related my “Help” experience a few weeks ago, with the system not just finding what I was looking for help on, but taking me directly to the spot where I needed to be. I’m pretty sure the Help system isn’t 100% accurate, but it hasn’t disappointed me yet.So have the dozen of PC users next door to point out and help me if i need it! Windows help systems does it for me, the help is just as good as the vendor of the application. Blame Windows if the, for example, FireFox doesn't have a detailed help file, yes?

45. Guest accounts are purged after every session in Leopard. Wow. Guest privileges, on the other hand, seem to be lacking somewhat on the security front (but most of my Guests are computer clueless).Another point.

46. I love the Universal Access zoom feature – and have used it so many times for countless reasons. Really comes in handy when you’re trying to show something to someone from across the room. Never found anything close to its simplicity anywhere else.There's desktop zoom on Windows too. So?

47. Call me crazy, but I love the fact that in OS X, the keyboard shortcut for opening Preferences is always the same (Command + Comma). Convenient. Dependable. Quick.So is the hundreds of keyboard shortcuts in windows!

48. Device compatibility doesn’t seem to be as much of an issue as it used to be with the Mac. While I couldn’t get my brand new HP LaserJet to work inside of Vista, it works flawlessly inside of OS X 10.4 (despite having to use HP’s scanning software). Still, with any USB hardware hiccups in Leopard, compatibility issues are erased with VMware Fusion until newer software is unleashed.In this single post, you have contradicted yourself. "Device compatibility isn't an issue, yet you need VMWare Fusion"...touche!

49. Thanks to another one of our sponsors, GoToMeeting, I’ve had the opportunity to see quite a few of my friends’ desktops. Quite a few have gone to great lengths to make their installation of Windows look and feel like Mac OS X. At that point, what’s the point of sticking with Windows? Just about the only thing Mac users might want from Windows is the Explorer (FTFF) – and even then, there’s ‘Path Finder.’Even I, I like the "fancy" looks of the mac...and you and your friends just buttress my point that "mac fanboys are just down with the looks"...period

50. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: Windows users need Apple’s software more than Mac users need Microsoft’s. That’s just a cold, hard fact. And given my severe disappointment with just about everything in Mac Office 2008, I’m even further driven away from Microsoft’s desktop software.Totally absurd. I haven't heard/seen anyone trying to get a virtualization ware or port to run a mac software on Windows. And you've severally mentioned the need for VMWare fusion and BootCamp in your previous listings...so its either you are "forgetful" or you don't just know.

I still insist, a computer is only as good as the user and his needs!
Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by Maleeq(m): 6:26pm On Apr 07, 2012
candylips: olisa has said it all.

I hate it when people just bash Mac OSX and call people that use it fanboys.

I was once an exclusive windows user until i did Vista and i nearly went mad, i tried a mac and i have never looked back since.

Some people also complain that Macs are expensive. Well go get a Mac Mini with 2GB memory 500GB HDD Core i5 2.3Mkz. It costs just around £500 / $500 . If you can't afford $500 then u have a different problem
At that price, it comes with a monitor or mouse or keyboard, yes? (By the time you add around $900 to the mini's $500 tag for an apple monitor, need I say more)

Well, I can get an equivalent spec PC for same or less and it would come with these "basic" peripherals.
Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by Maleeq(m): 6:29pm On Apr 07, 2012
SimonAndal: Question: What can a Mac OS Lion on steroids do for me that a Windows xp can't overdo?
Make pancakes maybe? grin
Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Apr 07, 2012
Nah, I'm sure if I pester Google I'd find freewares for that.
Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by candylips(m): 8:09pm On Apr 07, 2012
Maleeq:
At that price, it comes with a monitor or mouse or keyboard, yes? (By the time you add around $900 to the mini's $500 tag for an apple monitor, need I say more)

Well, I can get an equivalent spec PC for same or less and it would come with these "basic" peripherals.

No u do not need to buy any other peripherals specifically for the mac. You can connect ur existing ones to the mini and it works fine.
Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by Maleeq(m): 9:05pm On Apr 07, 2012
candylips:

No u do not need to buy any other peripherals specifically for the mac. You can connect ur existing ones to the mini and it works fine.
That ain't the point. The price and not getting those peripherals is the point!
Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by Olisa74(m): 8:16am On Apr 08, 2012
Maleeq,
After carefully reading each of your responses, something becomes glaringly obvious. That is you have never really used a Mac before. You have done tons of research, but have never really used a Mac at length. From calling a Mac a fanboy tool to comparing Ilife to windows Media Player simply borders on the insane. From your thinking that Spotlight is just about locating files to a total lack of understanding the delete function in Macs is unforgivable. I have been using Macs for over a decade and have never had to pay for an update, where did you get that one from? The list goes on, but you have set your defence for Windows in irrational stone. In order to objectively review a product without bias, you first have to have the product, and spend a decent amount of time with it. The proof of the pudding has always, always, been in the eating. Those of us that criticise windows do so having spent years using it. So our criticism is based on personal experience and not research. I am yet to meet anyone who has spent a few months using a Mac and still prefers Windows.
Your staunch defence of Windows is alarming, as I am sure even Bill Gates himself will admit the countless flaws in his product. You seem a little bit FANatical in your BOYish defence of windows. So please is it safe for me to label you a windows FanBoy? Maleeq, you are an intelligent fellow. I seriously suggest you invest in Mac, not so that you get converted, but so that when you are being critical, you are doing so from an end users point of view.
Oh, and I am sure you heard this morning that Apple's share price has overtaken Google as it is forecast to be the first $1tn company. Come on Maleeq, give Apple some credit wink
Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by candylips(m): 11:00am On Apr 08, 2012
Maleeq:
That ain't the point. The price and not getting those peripherals is the point!

and u can get a windows box wit same spec plus all d perpherals for same price huh
Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by Maleeq(m): 12:02pm On Apr 08, 2012
Though not as long as I have used windows or linux, I have used a Mac. I love it...but my position is that it is over hyped...my "silly" responses followed your previous "not so brilliant reasons" to choose a Mac...I mean, stating VLC as a point? Bet you sef suppose laugh at yasef. Plus I've seen you post more researched reasons than personalized experience. You've done more quoting than anyone olisa.

Omo, 1tr dollars? I gats apply to apple o. At all at all, na im bad pass!
Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by Olisa74(m): 1:17pm On Apr 08, 2012
Maleeq:
Though not as long as I have used windows or linux, I have used a Mac. I love it...but my position is that it is over hyped...my "silly" responses followed your previous "not so brilliant reasons" to choose a Mac...I mean, stating VLC as a point? Bet you sef suppose laugh at yasef. Plus I've seen you post more researched reasons than personalized experience. You've done more quoting than anyone olisa.

Omo, 1tr dollars? I gats apply to apple o. At all at all, na im bad pass!

Let me takle this in true "Maleeq" style.

1. Though not as long as I have used windows or linux, I have used a Mac. I love it...but my position is that it is over hyped - You love Macs, but I guess you just love Windows and Linux more cheesy

2 My "silly" responses followed your previous "not so brilliant reasons" to choose a Mac - None of your responses where "silly". In fact they where rather intelligent and well thought out, just not based on personal experience.

3 I mean, stating VLC as a point? Bet you sef suppose laugh at yasef - WMV and several other formats previously need third party applications to work on Macs. VLC changed all of that. PC users equally had such problems with certain video and audio containers. It is a valid point, so no, I no fit laugh mysef. cool

4 Plus I've seen you post more researched reasons than personalized experience. - Absolutely nothing wrong with researching. I have never vilified Windows. I just feel your attacks on Macs are just not based on personal experience.

5 You've done more quoting than anyone olisa. - I quoted 50 reasons by Chis Pirrilo so I guess you got me there. grin

6 Omo, 1tr dollars? I gats apply to apple o. At all at all, na im bad pass! - This statement kinda sums up a main difference PC users and Macs users. For Mac users its never about money. Most Apple employees work for Apple not for money, but because they love the product. Its kinda spiritual. Surreal. I guess thats why some say Macs are a cult, a religion. Maybe therein lies Apples success. Anyway it is something a PC user just won't understand. smiley
Re: Which Operating System Is Best Mac Or Windows? by 100gigabytes: 5:01pm On Apr 09, 2012
if you don't have a mac yet , you will put up every kind of argument for windows because thats all you know .If you have a mac, you don't need to convince anyone. most mac users have used windows before and the can feel the difference. most windows users use only windows and thats all they will ever know.

(1) (Reply)

Neatly Used Mtn Hynetflex Router With Usb Cable For Power Bank Charging.. / Neat UK Used Dell Latitude 7490 - 8GB RAM, Core i7, 8th Gen, Affordable / I Need A Good Vpn On My Laptop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 156
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.