Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,140 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:02 AM

John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? (11573 Views)

Throwback Photo Of John Mikel Obi / f / John Mikel Obi Better Than Okocha At 19? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by Seun(m): 1:43am On Aug 13, 2005
ZURICH, Switzerland (AP) - FIFA on Friday ordered that Nigeria's John Obi Mikel return to Lyn after he walked out in a contract dispute with the Norwegian club.
http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/3885472

FIFA Dispute Resolution Chamber decision regarding John Obi Mikel
The FIFA Dispute Resolution Chamber (DRC) formally communicated today a decision concerning the player John Obi Mikel based on a claim presented by the club Lyn Oslo FC of Norway.

The DRC announced that John Obi Mikel, who is contracted to the club but left without returning, has to immediately resume duties with Lyn Oslo FC.

According to art. 60 par. 1 of the FIFA Statutes this decision may be appealed before the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).
http://www.fifa.com/en/media/index/0,1369,109096,00.html

Too bad?
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by CimonJorr(m): 8:34am On Aug 13, 2005
It would be nice to know on what exactly the decision was based..

Also, for all the peeps beefing Chelsea, let's be a bit objective here..

Before 'The Special One' came over to Chelsea, Joe Cole was a good (skillful) but not productive player.. Mourinho's arrival changed that.. Mourhino has had a nack of developing players to the epitome of their ability.. At Mikel's age, he needs development.. and who else to develop under than some of the best players in the world, and under the guidance of one of the best coaches in the world.. Let's not be blinded by Chelsea's apparent wealth.. We never heard this beef when Man U and Arsenal were dominating the Premiership and transfer markets.. tongue

1 Like

Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by Chxta(m): 9:43am On Aug 13, 2005
You forgot about Cantona. He was a talented flop before he left Leeds for ManU and Fergie raised him.
The point is this: all decent coaches can point to players that they've raised, Mourinho isn't the only one.
Obi would have had a better chance of developing in ManU than in Chelsea.

Anyways, FIFA have made IMO the best decision for him. So he can go elsewhere when his contract expires at the end of the year.
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by lordimpaq(m): 10:02am On Aug 13, 2005
ha ha ha ha ah aha ha haha ha ..............

very good......he's a small boy and does not understand contract rules.........anyway good for him...let him mature and develop his skills and improve his ball knowledge .......

thumbs up to FIFA...
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by CimonJorr(m): 11:14am On Aug 13, 2005
I guess every coach has their success stories...

But currently, who is on top of the game??
I still feel that Chelsea's current crop of players would offer a more conducive environment for knowledge transfer [they are younger], though if it was primarily to go into the youth development program, then West Ham and Arsenal may have the edge in that debt..

IMO clarrification required please... 

Chxta:

You forgot about Cantona. He was a talented flop before he left Leeds for ManU and Fergie raised him.
The point is this: all decent coaches can point to players that they've raised, Mourinho isn't the only one.
Obi would have had a better chance of developing in ManU than in Chelsea.

Anyways, FIFA have made IMO the best decision for him. So he can go elsewhere when his contract expires at the end of the year.
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by joftech(m): 12:10pm On Aug 13, 2005
Although am not a football bluff, but this shows that pride preceds a big fall.
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by timmy(m): 2:52pm On Aug 13, 2005
well i think's the decision of fifa's is to the lad's favor.. Just feel those lazy agents, just want to use him.
Man UTD is full of young guy, roonie, ronaldo. etc men make the guy use him head those kind of opporturnities dont come easily around african players..
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by CimonJorr(m): 3:20pm On Aug 13, 2005
And what of lazy and greedy club mangement which wants to capitalize on the skills of the young lad to make an easy buck.. there were in no position to make the offers and negotiations which they made.. and when the story came out u could easily see their panic.. as far as I am concerned, FIFA's judgement just shows that oyibos always look after their own..

Cancel the current managers conrtact by fax, deny him talking to his client.. the gall of it... angry

timmy:

well i think's the decision of fifa's is to the lad's favor.. Just feel those lazy agents, just want to use him.
Man UTD is full of young guy, roonie, ronaldo. etc men make the guy use him head those kind of opporturnities don't come easily around african players..
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by Saintjoe(m): 8:12pm On Aug 16, 2005
Well, i am not happy with fifa's verdict. But i think that serves Mikel right for his greediness. How i wish that guy will play for Man Utd. But those usless managers of his decieved him. Maybe i can say he is too young to think well, he can't just imagine himself playing in the midst of young players like C. Ronaldo, Nistelroy, Rooney e.t.c. Cos had it been he went to Chelsea a very long bench is there waiting for him.....................
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by Greatpeter(m): 9:13am On Aug 20, 2005
What a big blow, how I wish I see Mikel in the colours of Chelsea.

Anyway if it's for good for him I hail the decision.
But I want the guy to succeed and be a big star.
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by Chxta(m): 7:49am On Aug 21, 2005
They finally got to him minus his agents...

In a recent interview with Ralph Chidozie, Mikel said he was ready to honour the controversial contract he signed with Sir Alex Ferguson’s club, before going to the FIFA World Youth Championship.

The Nigerian player had earlier visited the youth club of Manchester United and Chelsea camp before the proposed move, but his club played a fast one on his agent by selling him out ahead of time.

Sharing his experience on Manchester United camp, he said: "It was nice when I went there, everybody welcomed me and I stayed there for over two months, the manager was very nice to me. After that I went back to Nigeria and then I went to Chelsea and stayed there for almost a year and things did not work out and I had to go to Manchester United again."

On how he was contacted for the move, he said: "Well, Man U officials have been visiting me secretly in Oslo and nobody knew about it, they kept asking me if I was still interested in Chelsea and, kept presurising me and won my heart over Chelsea, and then everything happened so fast after that.0
“Everything went that way due to the fact that Chelsea officials didn’t come on time for the deal.

"Yeah, that’s the way it went, many agents are in touch with me and there is no one that has a complete hold of me, that’s why it happened that way. But I am happy the way the transfer was handled, despite the fact that Chelsea will be hurt.”

On whether he would have opted for Chelsea if they had come for him earlier, he said: "Aahhh, well, maybe, just maybe. Chelsea is also a big club with big money and any player would love to play for them, and they just won the Premiership, which is any player’s dream but all the same, I am happy with my deal with Manchester United.”
Before now, Mikel had planned to stay at Lyn pending the time of his proposed move to the Premiership.

"I was told to wait and play with Lyn, instead of moving immediately and training without a game, the rest of the season in Norway will help me get more experience and maturity, while watching Manchester United games. That’s why Man U officials told me to remain at Lyn Oslo, that is no problem, I am happy that I have to be here for this season and may be by December I will move and start playing for Manchester in January.”

On whether he’s afraid of Stars like Roy Keane, Ruud van Nistelroy, Ryan Giggs, Wayne Rooney, he said: "To play with such world stars like that, I am very happy to be with them and it’s going to be fine. I hope to learn from them," he emphasises.

Source

I think this proves my theory that the whole will he-will he not show is being run by agents twats
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by Saintjoe(m): 7:13pm On Aug 24, 2005
Am
Mikel Obi forked his styles up.
He should have just go played for Man utd, i think he is gonna make it there. But i don't think he is goning to make it in chelsea, cos there is going to be a long bench waiting for him there. Chelsea might even loaning him out to other club. Himself want to play for chelsea just because of the money chealse are pricing him. He really forked up!
Now Fifa has decided he still tremains in lyn . i think it is better
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by chimanu2000(m): 1:54pm On Aug 30, 2005
its unfortunate that the new season has started and the transfer window closes today and the only action mikel has seen(apart from his ball juggling for globacom ) is about 15 minutes against a lacklustre libya.The young man should start thinking about his career seriously. He should learn to keep his words and contracts
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by Chxta(m): 10:26am On Sep 03, 2005
The matter before us is whether FIFA has the moral right to ban John Mikel Obi if he has contemplated going back to Lyn Oslo at a time of his own chosen? From all the facts I have been made aware and my knowledge based on this issue I make bold to write that FIFA does not have any MORAL RIGHT to BAN him and they would not want to go that way because it could likely lead to another Bosman type ruling in the natural court. The stated points below and relevant regulations reproduced below would give credence to my stand on this issue. I have not given all but given enough information for people here to understand my line of arguement.

1) The Employment contract that was signed by Mikel Obi and the Norwegian Club Lyn Oslo was executed in error since the relevant FIFA statutes and regulations were incorrectly applied. A pertinent question you may want to ask is the process Lyn Oslo took in having the ITC of a Non-Amateur player previously registered as a professional player in the Nigeria Premier League? Please see below Art 28 of the Regulations for the Status and Transfer of Players. Please note that contractual error do always occur in the in the Scandinavian region. A very vital case is an African player that a Danish top club got a work permit for to play in the League. When another club requested that a work permit be issued to their South American player who is of similar age to the African, precisely 16 years old, was denied a work permit. The club protested and made reference to the African player with the other club and the resultant result was revocation of the permit earlier given to the African player. The premise here is that error can be allowed if not brought to the fore.
2) There was already a dispute between Obi and Lyn Oslo before the U-20 WYC and very wrong for Lyn Oslo to make any meaningful pronouncement as to enforcing the return of the player after the tournament ended. If you recall there were comments made by the officials of Lyn Oslo and one such comments made was that JMO was under threat.
3) Lyn Oslo concluded a contract with the player and his advisor(s) and the same Lyn Oslo a few days after requested the club personal attorney to annul the contract the player had with his advisor. By so doing Lyn Oslo breached the tenet of FIFA Statutes and regulations it was agreed to uphold.
4) Lyn Oslo postulated to the Dispute Resolution Chamber (DPR) that the player had visa and work permit which on the basis the decision was reached. It is now a common knowledge that was not exactly the case.
5) The decision reached by DPR was not personally conveyed to the player himself and as such the player alone can only testify to FIFA if he has actually received the document.

Regulations for the Status and Transfer of Players
Art 2
1 Players who have never received any remuneration other than reimbursement
of their actual expenses incurred during the course of their participation in any activity connected with association football are regarded as amateur.
2 Travel and hotel expenses incurred through involvement in a match and the
costs of a player’s equipment, insurance and training may be reimbursed without
jeopardising a player’s amateur status.
3 Any player who has ever received remuneration in excess of the expenses and
costs described in par. 2 of this article in respect of participation in an activity connected with association football shall be regarded as non-amateur unless he has
reacquired amateur status under the terms of Art. 26 par.1 below.

Art. 5
3 National associations can only register players coming from another association
subsequent to the receipt of
(i) a certificate of transfer of registration from that
other association (hereunder referred to as the “international registration transfer
certificate”) and
(ii), in the case of a non-amateur, a copy of the player’s contract with his new club

Art. 6
1 An amateur or non-amateur player who has become eligible to play for a club
affiliated to a national association may not be registered with a club affiliated to
another national association unless the latter has received an international registration
transfer certificate issued by the national association which the player wishes
to leave.
2 A national association may only request an international registration transfer
certificate from the national association which the player wishes to leave if the
club which the player wishes to join submits its request for registration in a timely
manner, i.e., during a registration period fixed by the national association which is
to request the certificate.
3 Upon receiving the request, the national association of the former club shall
immediately request that club and the player to confirm whether the contract has
expired, whether early termination was mutually agreed, or whether a contractual
dispute exists.
4 A national association shall produce an international registration transfer certificate
within 7 days of a demand from another national association, while simultaneously
sending a copy to the FIFA general secretariat.

Art. 12
1 International transfers of players under the age of 18 shall only be permitted
(a) as a general rule, when the family of the player moves to the country in which
the new club is located for reasons that are not linked to football
(b) within the territory of the EU/EEA and in the case of players between the
minimum working age in the new training club’s country and the age of 18,
suitable arrangements are guaranteed for their sports training and academic
education by the new training club. For this purpose a code of conduct
will be established and enforced by the football authorities.
2 The same principles apply to the first registration of players under 18 who have
a nationality other than that of the country in which they first request to be registered.

Art. 26
1 Any player who has been registered as a non-amateur with a national association
may not be reclassified as amateur until a period of 30 days has elapsed.
2 This period shall start as from the day the player competed in his last match
with the club with which he was registered as a non-amateur.

Art. 28
1 A non-amateur player who stops playing competitive football shall remain registered as a player at the national association’s club with which he was last employed for a period of 30 months.

Regulations governing the Application of the Regulations for the Status and Transfer of Players
Art. 4
1 National associations in the EU/EEA shall refuse the registration of players under 18 years of age who are nationals of countries outside the EU/EEA and who are not moving for family reasons under the terms of Chapter VI of the FIFA Regulations for the Status and Transfer of Players.

Having exhausted all that rant, I still think the boy's a Arrow
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by Saintjoe(m): 2:05pm On Sep 03, 2005
Men................it too much.
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by Owen(m): 2:34pm On Oct 26, 2005
Mikel is good no doubt. I'm a Nigerian too. I'm a die hard chelsea fan grin But I must speak the truth...Mikel is still so young and unexperienced. A team like chelsea would do him no good at all!!! Man Utd is better cause they have a way of letting the young to grow with the team so he'll get his opportunity to shine since he's good.
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by Saintjoe(m): 6:20pm On Oct 28, 2005
But at last he has gone back to Lyn Oslo, and his contarct there is gong to end this year. And he will be playing Man Utd next season. I thinlk so............................. wink
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by Owen(m): 2:27pm On Nov 01, 2005
That would be ok for him. He could use a little more time to build confidence before giong to man utd.
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by Saintjoe(m): 7:23pm On Nov 09, 2005
Yeah thats right.
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by alheri(f): 12:22pm On Dec 01, 2005
Well I heard this morning that mikel has been banned for three years or so........
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by demmy(m): 6:05pm On Dec 01, 2005
Banned? why?
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by Swish(m): 1:22am On Dec 05, 2005
I believe the Red Devils got space for him. It's got a history of grooming players. Not only that but with his skil and now that Keane's left, u know let him give it a shot.
Maybe he's looking at Makele retiring after a few years or the pay package or the depth of the squad that blues got...but for all i care he might not spend more than one season at stamford bridge b4 getting frustrated.
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by CimonJorr(m): 7:23am On Dec 05, 2005
...And which world-class players do you know of that spent a season at Chelsea before getting fustrated..
Trust me, as for development, there's no better place for him to be than Chelsea..

The so-called world class players you may mention (take Mateja Kezman, for example) weren't really world class.. they would prefer Chelsea play to accomodate them, rather than them changing their game to suit Chelsea [which truly world class players do...]..
Enough of the sentiment.. Arsenal fans would love Micheal (abi na Mikel) to go to Arsenal.. Man U fans would love him to go to Man U.. And Chelsea fans would love him to come to Chelsea.. the bottom line is that the young man get things sorted and start making a life of his career.. Even if na West Ham self (which has one of the best youth academy systems in the UK, having produced the likes of Frank Lampard, Joe Cole, Rio Ferdinand, etc... ). The young man need to start playing his football on the pitch, and not in the news...  tongue

ps... there's no club that doesnt have their success stories about grooming world class players, as well as their failure stories.. Just watch Football Icon to see real life case studies..

Swish:

I believe the Red Devils got space for him. It's got a history of grooming players. Not only that but with his skil and now that Keane's left, u know let him give it a shot.
Maybe he's looking at Makele retiring after a few years or the pay package or the depth of the squad that blues got...but for all i care he might not spend more than one season at stamford bridge before getting frustrated.
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by bagoma(f): 11:13pm On Dec 07, 2005
@ cimonjorr,
true talk. this drama don too long. i don tire. angry
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by Owen(m): 11:49am On Dec 09, 2005
You are absolutely right CimonJorr!
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by Saintjoe(m): 4:51pm On Dec 11, 2005
Are u guys sure that Fifa has really banned Mikel!! Wow! it's too bad.
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by Advin(m): 4:08pm On Dec 31, 2005
I am a core ManU fan, but I'll not advice Mikel to go there since they don't treat our black player's well. Chelsea is a perfect place fo anybody(black or white)who had potential. He's got good potential so I'd prefer him to move to Chelsea.
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by Chxta(m): 3:40pm On Jan 01, 2006
We've flipped the year and still nothing officially on the JMO saga...

The transfer window's open now...
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by RedForever: 11:59pm On Jan 02, 2006
Advinci, if you are core ManU fan than I'm a Nigerian!
javascript:void(0);
Wink
Now, you can point the finger of racism at many clubs, particularly mainland Europe but not at us.

When JOM sees sense (if he is allowed to by John Shitu and the rest of Nigerian leeches) and acts of his own accord then he will not be at a better club than Mancheter United.

From what I hear, he is a good player who has the potential. Such players are not difficult to find. However, the longer he sits in Shitu's company, the sooner his potential will be diminshed.

So, if he comes to ManU. We will support him through triumph and adversity. However, if he goes to Chelski or elsewhere then God help him!
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by Chxta(m): 1:01am On Jan 03, 2006
Did someone register on this forum just to write this tripe above? People can really be dumb sometimes!
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by bagoma(f): 7:29pm On Jan 03, 2006
whats the insult for? rolleyes
Re: John Mikel Obi. Which Club and Why? by Chxta(m): 7:36pm On Jan 03, 2006
No insult there. Just a sad fact!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Costa Rica Vs Serbia: World Cup 2018 (0 - 1) (Full Time) / Week 19 UK Pool Fixtures / Cameroon Vs Nigeria: Is Rohr The Right Man For Super Eagles AFCON 2022 Campaign?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.