Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,049 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:48 AM

Expatriates Take Over Private Schools' Leadership - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Expatriates Take Over Private Schools' Leadership (1549 Views)

Fayose Closing Down Private Schools In Ekiti / Ex-militants Threaten To Blow Up Hijacked Vessel, Expatriates Onboard Over Biafr / Aun Sacks 11 Lecturers, Hires 17 Expatriates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Expatriates Take Over Private Schools' Leadership by Nobody: 8:54pm On Apr 07, 2012
[img]http://odili.net/news/source/2012/apr/6/punch/images/Nigerian-pupils-360x192[1].jpg[/img]

Private education in Nigeria has undergone different metamorphoses. From fancy buildings to adoption of foreign curricula, now expatriates are taking over leadership roles in many of these schools at the expense of qualified Nigerians. OLABISI DEJI-FOLUTILE and OLUNIKE ASAOLU write on this new development and its implication for the nation's education sector.

Gone were the days when attractive buildings and qualified teachers were the only determinants of a good school. In recent years, school owners have taken a step further. Now they do not only adopt foreign curricula, they employ expatriates to run their schools.

Not only that, demand for expatriate administrators has gone up. And recruitment agencies claimed school owners were becoming more desperate to have white administrators regardless of their countries of origin. "Some school owners don't care where these people come from, they could be Ethiopians, Egyptians or Sudanese, the most important thing is for their skins to be white,'' a recruitment agent told one of our correspondents.

Some school owners said the crave for expatriates, apart from being a unique selling point, was aimed at bringing the country's education to global standard. Besides, they said more parents preferred schools with expatriates as principals and pressured schools to employ white administrators. To them, doing this would not only increase enrolment, but confer the status of elitism on their schools.

Other reasons for the growing trend, according to investigations by THE PUNCH, include increase in the number of Nigerians seeking higher education abroad; the need to have school administrators that are conversant with educational innovations and development; and demand for people who have 'proper' foundation and background and commendable expertise that will impact the curriculum and teaching methods.

Investigations by THE PUNCH showed that a lot of schools were now in serious need of foreigners. Many schools are seeking the assistance of recruitment agencies both in Nigeria and outside the country to get any available expatriate.

A source in a school that just recruited an expatriate who pleaded anonymity, said the school took the step to please parents. "Some parents just have this erroneous belief that the white man or anyone with a white skin is superior. Some intentionally enrol their children in schools where their administrators are foreigners. The expatriates are not more qualified than Nigerians, in fact most of them are here because they can't get better offers in their countries, but since it's a good business opportunity, we opted for it,'' she said.

A consultant and recruitment agent, Mrs. Yinka Ogunde, confirmed greater demand for expatriate administrators.

She explained that the trend was fuelled by increase in the number of parents seeking foreign tertiary education for their children. "A lot of parents believe that since their kids will travel abroad to further their studies, they should be tutored by foreigners who understand the system over there and who will make their transition easy. I guess this is what really influenced the demand for more expatriates," she said.

She added, "Nigerian parents have become more demanding , everyone wants to put their children in good schools, this means schools must be sure of what they are doing and give parents value for their money.''

According to her, education has gone beyond the era of fancy buildings, noting that nothing builds the school more than the personnel in charge of affairs.

A child psychologist, Mrs. Ololade Hector-Fowobaje, observed that schools prefer people with current educational development. She said, "Schools want the best for their pupils. They want administrators or principals, who are current with educational innovations and development. They want people who have 'proper' foundation and background and commendable expertise that will impact their curriculum, teaching methods and every aspect of the school. They just don't pick any white man, but someone with uncommon educational pedigree. So it's just a way of importing international knowledge and best practices to schools.

"Let me put it this way, we lean on the 'western' world for support, updates and improvement on educational content and methods. It is their websites we go to for help and it is their country we send our teachers to for training. That to me is an invisible label that says they are more competent. Remember, at a time in this country, Ghanaians were regarded as the best teachers; how did this come about? It was as a result of people's experience with them."

For the Editor, Willows Magazine, Omolola Famuyiwa, parents have stakes in the operations of their children's schools, hence the right to decide the leadership of these schools. "I am aware that some private schools prefer principals of other nationalities but this may be due to a number of reasons which could include the curriculum. Parents have a bigger stake in the ownership and are able to pull enough weight to dictate headship, especially where such parents have to pay in foreign currency," she said.

She however noted that employment of expatriates could lead to displacement of local teachers. "There are lots of implications including a limit to where these local hands can get to as far as the leadership of such schools are concerned. The only way we can prevent identity crisis within our own walls is to put schools in check, this is the role of the Ministry of Education," she said.

Some people have however attributed this development to the falling standard of education in the country, claiming that a lot of Nigerian teachers lack confidence. For instance, a Lagos- based lawyer, Mr. Olumuyiwa Onabanjo, said, "The reason simply is the falling standard of education. School owners do not trust Nigerian graduates and knowing that parents will insist on qualitative education having paid for such, the proprietor will expand the scope of recruitment to foreigners."

Expressing fears that employing expatriates could mean adopting foreign cultures, which might erode some of the nation's cultural values, Onabanjo said the trend could put pressure on the nation's foreign exchange. "Personally, for cultural reason, I am more at home with a Nigerian principal. Employment of foreigners could have adverse effects on our children who could be exposed to cultural shock.

"Employment of foreigners will affect school fees because their salaries are usually paid in dollars which add pressure to our foreign exchange transactions. Employment of foreigners violates our expatriate quota laws which stipulate that any position that can be readily filled by Nigerians should not be open to foreigners." Onabanjo said.

But a school owner and Executive Director, Supreme Education Foundation Schools, Mrs. Adenike Adamolekun, has different views. To her, the development is a reflection of Nigerians' attitude to non- Nigerians. "We tend to have more confidence in non-Nigerians. When a foreigner heads a school, if there is any policy change, parents dare not change it, but if a Nigerian does it, they query it. Unfortunately, some of these foreigners that are brought in are not qualified to be heads of schools, if they were that qualified and good, they wouldn't have left their countries for Nigeria. And when they get here, they start exploiting the situation.''

She however clarified that expatriates whether good or bad concentrate on what they do. "There are no distractions. Those that are very good pay attention to every detail, they are very committed, whereas Nigerians are not as committed as they are. But, this does not mean that we still don't know how to do the job. Some Nigerians do it better than non-Nigerians. The attitude of these expatriates is not good for our system. Foreigners come with their own methods, they put aside what they met on ground and install their own system, and when leaving they uproot their system, leaving a vacuum behind."

As a way out, Adamolekun advised that efforts should be concentrated on training Nigerian principals, teachers and education graduates. "It is better to train our people to that high standard we want. If you want them to have that kind of attitude and efficiency, take them abroad for training. This is better than employing an expatriate who expects you to pay for everything he/she does. The foreigners are very expensive and they do not necessarily give better services, they do not give stable situation for the school and for the system. They are usually not comfortable with the environment."

Nursing fears that the trend could increase the rate of unemployment in the country, Ogunde, who is the Principal Consultant, Edumark Consult and the brain behind We are the future of our nation, a yearly essay competition for secondary school pupils in the country, said "The colour of the skin should not be the main issue. If this trend continues, a lot of qualified Nigerians would be forced back to the labour market; unemployment rate will be on the increase. Emphasis should be on quality. There are some schools headed by Nigerians that are doing very well.''

She added, "These days, many polished Nigerians are coming into education and there has been vast improvement in quality. A lot of private schools are investing tremendously in their teachers. With this, we are already developing the manpower that will take over from these expatriates very soon, just give them about five more years, you will see a crop of polished Nigerians emerging."

Commenting on the implication of this development on Nigeria's culture, the Chairman, Landmark College, Ikorodu, Lagos, Mr. Isiaka Oyebamiji, said except proper care is taken; schools headed by expatriates could offer education that would have adverse impact on the nation's cultural values.

"I don't see anything special in what the foreigners have to offer, we have large numbers of unemployed people who can do better. Some of these expatriates are even unemployed in their own countries; they do not possess the qualifications our people have here. Schools just do this for marketing purposes. I think it is high time we began to monitor what goes on in our schools, particularly private schools. In most developed countries, private schools are better monitored than it is being done here, there is need for more monitoring, there is need for rules and regulations to check the activities of private schools otherwise they will be dishing out the kind of education that is not in line with our cultures."

Asked if there is any government control over who could be recruited to head a school in Lagos State, the Public Relations Officer, Lagos State Ministry of Education, Mr. Lanre Bajulaiye, said government could not decide for private schools the kind of personnel they should employ.

He said, "The Federal Government handles the issue of foreign principals or teachers, the Federal Government determines the number of foreigners that should be employed in the country. Also, it ensures that the foreigners go through the Foreign Affairs Ministry. What I know is that if anyone of them (foreigners) wants to enter into our system (government) in Lagos, we do thorough checking. As for private schools, once they meet our criteria for establishment and approval, we approve them, it is now left for them to decide the kind of personnel they want, if they can afford to pay the salaries of foreigners, which burden is put on the parents, it is their own decision," he said.

Why we prefer expatriates - Parents

Mrs. Ololade Hector-Fowobaje's child attends one of the schools with foreign heads and said the style of foreign administrators was quite different. "I have a child in such school, but I didn't even know till I enrolled her there. It wasn't a factor in choosing the school, but I must say that their style is different.

"In the eighties, I attended a public secondary school which at a time was headed by a brilliant and energetic white woman. Even though I had equally brilliant Nigerian heads at various times, I can say the difference is that she was not interested in just our grades but in the 'totality of our being.' That was my personal experience with a white school head."

Another parent, Mrs. Sade Banwo, said, "We cannot continue to deceive ourselves, if people in power, who are supposed to ensure that Nigerian children have access to qualitative education establish schools headed by expatriates, what do you expect from other Nigerians who can afford to send their children to such schools? My children attend one of the schools headed by a white woman and they are doing very well."

Adebisi Phillips, who attended Atlantic Hall, noted that her experience with a foreign school head was superb. She said, "They are more straightforward and more disciplined. They understand the job and do it very well. I wouldn't mind enrolling my children in schools headed by foreigners, particularly the white people."

Another parent, and an educationist, Mr. Ayobami Olaleye, said the employment of expatriates was to promote standard in Nigeria's educational system by ensuring that pupils were given qualitative education as it was done in the years past, especially during the colonial and post colonial eras, when schools were headed by foreigners.

"Public schools then enjoyed the services of foreigners. They were committed, disciplined and hardworking, and all these virtues were expected from their pupils. Most of us that were tutored by white men or women can testify to this. That schools are employing expatriates now does not mean they are doing so because of self interest or gains. The falling standard of education has called for foreign expertise," he noted.

What recruitment agencies want in school administrators

An Education Consultant and recruitment agent, Mrs. Kehinde Omojola, believes Nigerian teachers don't have the right work ethics and managerial skills. "When we recruit, we look out for people who really know how to manage schools, who have the right work ethics, these are the key words, but they are not just there. I know quite a number of people who have come into education but the number of those who have the right attitude and work ethics is still very low.

"That was why we went into training of teachers. From my experience, I have also discovered that being a head teacher is quite different from being a school manager. We are groomed for teaching profession and not for managerial work. A lot of people go into teaching, without the right training. So, teachers need leadership, managerial and teaching skills for them to do well as a head of school or school manager."

She also explained that schools were influenced by their target audiences. "Every business has its target audience, so are schools. There are target audiences and markets who determine what you want to offer. Schools are being influenced by their activities. The audience you have will determine the kind of school you will establish and the kind of personnel you will employ."

Responding to a question on what school owners look out for, Omojola listed managerial skill, leadership skill and teaching skill. "The selection process also includes talking to agencies outside the country, sometimes we discuss with potential candidates through telephone. The expatriates enjoy working in Nigeria because of all kinds of benefits they get here which they can't get in their countries. Another thing is that there is no opportunity to get to the top of their profession because of too many people contesting for the same post. So seeking employment in other countries gives them better opportunity," she added.

Why we work in Nigeria - Expatriate principals

The Principal and Chief Executive Officer, Atlantic Hall, Epe, Lagos, Mr. Andrew Jedras, who has been working in the school since 2010, said the passion and commitment of owners of the school influenced his coming to Nigeria.

"When I met with a representative group of the board of the school in London during their recruitment drive, I was impressed by their passion and commitment and felt that I could work with them to secure the intentions and outcomes.

"Nigeria probably is not more conducive but workable. There are numerous practical challenges but in any country in the United Kingdom or otherwise, there are always challenges. The key is the level of creativity one employs to overcome these and not allow them to dominate your thinking and distract you from your core purpose and the objectives you are seeking to secure.

"In terms of a more conducive aspect is the value that Nigerians generally hold for education. I am very fortunate to work with some very committed and talented colleagues who also share my passion for charge and excellence."

Based on his experience, he noted that if concerted efforts were committed to education, the country would be a different place. "Education is a global entity and countries across the world are working diligently to raise both standards and quality of education. A lot is spoken of 21st century education and a picture is emerging as to what this will look like. While facing many challenges, I believe Nigeria has the desire and intention to move in this direction.

"What I think is clear is that a substantial additional level of funding is required for example in infrastructure, technology, teachers' training, a robust programme, and support to schools. If there is a genuine commitment to put education on the top of the political agenda five years from now, Nigeria will be a different place."

Another expatriate and Principal, Grange School, Lagos, Mr. William Stephen, who has been working in Nigeria in the last nine years, said, "There is an aspect of international school that I have found interesting, so one day somebody I knew very well contacted me and said some schools in Nigeria needed people and they wanted me to come for the interview.

"Apart from the school, Nigeria is full of opportunities and I have been able to involve in education not just in Grange, I have played huge pioneering roles in bringing schools together in an association. I have got lots of opportunities in Nigeria, and for me, they have been most exciting and challenging, they are positive experience for me and all these have made me happy."

The South African born teacher, who has been teaching for 35 years, 25 years abroad and nine years in Nigeria, said one of his contributions towards Nigeria's educational sector is setting high standard. "My contribution to Nigerian education is setting a very high standard and equipping children in this country to face whatever education they wish to face later on in life.

"We just need to focus on giving the children the best education, this can be achieved if we are ready to develop the school and give the teachers good training, pay good, reasonable wage and appreciate them so that you can draw the best hands into teaching," he said.

He observed that Nigerian teachers were good; noting that what was required to bring the best out of them is an encouragement from government.

"There are lots of good teachers in Nigeria, they are people that are committed to education and I think they are facing various challenges which should be addressed by government. Government should encourage them, teachers should live comfortably and they should be respected and honoured. If these are done you will have people who are ready to do the job very well and with this you will be able to set high standard," he advised.

http://odili.net/news/source/2012/apr/6/812.html
Re: Expatriates Take Over Private Schools' Leadership by Nobody: 9:18pm On Apr 07, 2012
This so long that I was too lazy
Re: Expatriates Take Over Private Schools' Leadership by deor03(m): 9:43pm On Apr 07, 2012
Average Nigerian worker needs to sit up. Even its better to have African guys in your team than some Nigerian dudes.
We need to sit up
Re: Expatriates Take Over Private Schools' Leadership by ektbear: 6:46pm On Apr 08, 2012
Supply and demand I guess.

Unfortunate, but nothing you can really do.

A school staffed with Nigerian MS-level teachers would still be cheaper than one with expats and you could probably find at least more knowledgeable teachers that way. With time and training they'll become very effective at their jobs.

But if rich Nigerians prefer white faces for their children.. c'est la vie

(1) (Reply)

Ijaw People ‘re Encroaching On My Land, Oba Of Benin Tells AIG / Boko Haram: North's Economy Slumps(pics) / NLC Challenge Fashola Despite Warnings To Stop Smoking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.