Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,195 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:59 AM

The Name And Function Of This Bulge In Most Laptop Power Cords? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / The Name And Function Of This Bulge In Most Laptop Power Cords? (2284 Views)

Tech!! How To Identify Fake USB Devices/ Cords / If You'd Love To Get A Laptop Power-bank / How Much Would It Cost 2repair My Burnt Laptop's Power Input (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Name And Function Of This Bulge In Most Laptop Power Cords? by Nobody: 7:53am On Apr 11, 2012
Have been asking some people what this bulge is and what is the function and why it is always built into so many laptop power charger cables but they seem not to have any idea but I can't just relax with it being there without knowing what it is and most times I've googled it but it is like I don't even know the real name so google returns nothing reasonable. Please any guru in the house to help explain what it is cos it is now giving me sleepless nights

Re: The Name And Function Of This Bulge In Most Laptop Power Cords? by Maleeq(m): 9:41am On Apr 11, 2012
hmmmmmm, now that you mentioned it, I never thought about it!

My guess, maybe some sort of surge protector?? Crack one open if you can, if the components are just inductors/capacitors, then yes its a surge protector.

Lets wait for others here...someone just might know what it is...
Re: The Name And Function Of This Bulge In Most Laptop Power Cords? by Nobody: 10:11am On Apr 11, 2012
dat just popped into my mind now, I'll look 4 1 and open it but it has 2 b a bad one but as can b seen in d picx, dz cord has two of it
Re: The Name And Function Of This Bulge In Most Laptop Power Cords? by jiggar(m): 11:17am On Apr 11, 2012
Mine has only one,but no idea wat it does.
Re: The Name And Function Of This Bulge In Most Laptop Power Cords? by ideamaster(m): 11:38am On Apr 13, 2012
Its a sort of step down device dat steps down your 220volts to about 19.5 volts that the average laptop uses
Re: The Name And Function Of This Bulge In Most Laptop Power Cords? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Apr 13, 2012
ideamaster: Its a sort of step down device dat steps down your 220volts to about 19.5 volts that the average laptop uses
i kno d one u meant but ie not wat am asking about, am talking about d burge in d power cord not d console containing d rectifier and filter circuit.

Anyway i was in a computer repair shop 2da 2 buy some computer accessory, I asked d computer technician der and he said dat it is just a hinge ie 2 support the movement of the cord end bearing d pin which is inserted into
d system 2 minimise stress along d cord though not so satisfied wid d explanat and will still crack 1 open if i c a faulty charger
Re: The Name And Function Of This Bulge In Most Laptop Power Cords? by femi4: 5:29pm On Apr 13, 2012
There is a bulge in every cord especially very close to where you have to bend its mouth to your laptop charging port. It serves as protection to the cable at the most likely "point of failure"
Re: The Name And Function Of This Bulge In Most Laptop Power Cords? by Maleeq(m): 7:51am On Apr 14, 2012
so far, 2 folks say its for "protection to minimize stress on the cord at the most likely points of failure"

Its making some sense to me now...Lets see other folks opinion
Re: The Name And Function Of This Bulge In Most Laptop Power Cords? by Nobody: 9:45am On Apr 14, 2012
They are called ferrite beads or ferrite chokes. Their goal is to reduce EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) and RFI (Radio Frequency Interference). You can google with the little info I've given you to find out more.
computer.howstuffworks.com/question352.htm
Re: The Name And Function Of This Bulge In Most Laptop Power Cords? by Maleeq(m): 8:29pm On Apr 14, 2012
sting_224: They are called ferrite beads or ferrite chokes. Their goal is to reduce EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) and RFI (Radio Frequency Interference). You can google with the little info I've given you to find out more.
computer.howstuffworks.com/question352.htm
Finally! Thanks @sting_224

(1) (Reply)

Clean HP Compaq Cq40 (3gb Ram,160gb Hdd) / Microsoft Office 2010 Product Key / How Can I Change My Os Without Lossing My Files And Programs?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.