Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

Sun And Spirituality: Is There A Connection? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Sun And Spirituality: Is There A Connection? (4048 Views)

Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. / African History And Spirituality / Non-Africans adopting African spirituality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sun And Spirituality: Is There A Connection? by emofine2(f): 8:53am On Apr 12, 2012
There has been a few mentioned variables that some claim can affect an individual's spirituality or capacity for it; melanin, culture, even intelligence has been suggested as possible factors that can affect one's tendency to be spiritual.

If culture - which is an engineered environment - possibly influences an individual's likelihood in developing a form of spirituality or not . . .how about the natural environment?

Is there a correlation between spiritually inclined people and their relationship/proximity to the sun?

Are the inhabitants of regions with greater sun intensity more likely to be spiritual?
Re: Sun And Spirituality: Is There A Connection? by DuduNegro: 2:30pm On Apr 12, 2012
Sprirituality comes from the land. . .the nature of a land that is. A people's nature is their land's nature. To understand spirituality of a people you should study spirituality of their land. Sun is a marker for man but land is the abode of man. Man and land are one and the same!
Re: Sun And Spirituality: Is There A Connection? by ifyalways(f): 3:17pm On Apr 12, 2012
IMO,the sun has a relationship with spirituality,its the source of light and love. undecided
Re: Sun And Spirituality: Is There A Connection? by emofine2(f): 4:53pm On Apr 12, 2012
The source of love? Interesting.

The sun has many connotations especially in certain spirituality.

I sometimes imagine how it must have been like to be confronted with this beautiful glorious golden sphere in an open landscape where all of nature seems to bow down to this giant star and if one could be forgiven for mistaking thinking the sun as god or the creator. After all the sun plays an important part in our existence.
Or maybe I would have just been delirious from too much sun exposure grin

I’ve listened to peculiar discussions about Africans being more prone to being spiritual . . .some have discussed the relationship between spirituality and darker skin or those who with a higher concentration of melanin and I was thinking. . . if there is a relationship between melanin and the sun and melanin and spirituality how about the sun and spirituality?

I suppose the theory is a little out there and random but can not our natural elements that we are most exposed to influence our perspective?

Hmmm but if there is a connection between spirituality and the sun that would give some people an unfair advantage/disadvantage depending on how one looks at it.
Re: Sun And Spirituality: Is There A Connection? by odumchi: 6:24pm On Apr 12, 2012
The sun has played a paramount role in human society since it is afterall the source of all life. Without the sun; the earth would freeze over; crops wouldn't grow; people would die. This type of relationship with the sun is best understood by agricultural societies (especially those in Africa) since farmers understand that without the sun, nothing would grow.

Even the sun-worshipping Aztecs, the Incans, the Egyptians, and pretty much any other agricultural societies have a strong spiritual connection with the sun.
Re: Sun And Spirituality: Is There A Connection? by mkmyers45(m): 1:14pm On Apr 13, 2012
jantavanta: Spring Equinox took place on March 21. This is the time when the apparent movement of the Sun
crosses the equator resulting in equal length of day and night. This time comes after winter
when the Sun "dies" and is expected to be reborn.

The Ancients did not separate astronomy, astrology and religion. But "Modern Man"
not understanding the allegorical messages in scriptures simply made them disparate.

The zodiac constellation of Aries falls in 21 March to 20 April. Aries is a ram or lamb
the "Lamb of God".

Every religion ascribes Divinity to celestial objects. Particularly the Sun, which
has always been known as the center of the solar system (except among those who needed Galileo
to tell them!)

In the desert climates, the Moon would preferred as an astrological symbol because it brings relief
from the scorching heat.

These Celestial objects can be personified to a Man or a Woman.

A good knowledge of astronomy is required to follow this topic.

The more closer to the equator you are, the more likely the sun will heat your head into spiritual submission grin grin grin grin
Re: Sun And Spirituality: Is There A Connection? by emofine2(f): 1:20pm On Apr 13, 2012
mkmyers45:

The more closer to the equator you are, the more likely the sun will heat your head into spiritual submission grin grin grin grin

grin grin tongue
Re: Sun And Spirituality: Is There A Connection? by NegroNtns(m): 1:25pm On Apr 13, 2012
ifyalways: IMO,the sun has a relationship with spirituality,its the source of light and love. undecided

. . . in the reproduction of a child, the father is a marker, the mother is the child's nature and spirituality. In cosmolosophy, the sun is the father, a marker, and the earth is the mother, the nature.

Sun provides light, the marker, . . . earth provides love (rhythym), the nature!

I’ve listened to peculiar discussions about Africans being more prone to being spiritual . . .some have discussed the relationship between spirituality and darker skin or those who with a higher concentration of melanin and I was thinking. . . if there is a relationship between melanin and the sun and melanin and spirituality how about the sun and spirituality?

Human enlightenment and knowledge of the solar system and its relationship with human nature was first formulated and taught by Africans. Other races learnt this knowledge from Africans. Art and Science in the African consciousness is one and the same and were regarded as a pair of essences expressing the nature of man and the environs in its polarized balance. Hence the teachings of physical and metaphysical sciences or physical and esoteric arts. . . .generally termed alchemy in ancient manuscripts. In the evolution of science and particularly under the stewardship of Western philosophers, the two - arts and sciences - were separated into distinct schools of thought and scholarship. By the time Western kingdoms started their Imperial wars round the globe, they had greatly maneuvered away from the arts and though it existed as a knowledge and principles, it was hardly the mainstream practice.

It is only of recent as their own scientifically leaning societies is beginning to fail that they are returning to alchemy as a means of sustenance and explanations for human nature. However, as they discover the truth in alchemy they also realize past errors and the risk of admitting those errors. To formulate a balance and reconcile the two with minimal shifts to their social culture, they are using scientific terms and standards to express and demonstrate metaphysical and esoteric knowledge. They are attempting to return to alchemy without doing damage to Western philosophical thoughts and loosing out to current stewards of the knowledge - China, Brazil and India. So they use words like the ""effect of sun and melanin content to human spirituality"", instead of saying. . . ""the dark race is a spiritual nature and sustainer of mankind and we made an error 100yrs ago when we made contact and called them heathens"". They use terms like "Quantum Physics instead of admitting that the babalawo's divination board is a mirror into the cosmos"".

The sun has played a paramount role in human society since it is afterall the source of all life. Without the sun; the earth would freeze over; crops wouldn't grow; people would die. This type of relationship with the sun is best understood by agricultural societies (especially those in Africa) since farmers understand that without the sun, nothing would grow.

Even the sun-worshipping Aztecs, the Incans, the Egyptians, and pretty much any other agricultural societies have a strong spiritual connection with the sun.

I agree the sun is a powerful influence, there is no dispute to that. However, it is not the source of life! It is scientific dogma to say the earth will freeze over without the sun. This idea supports the cause for the global warming advocates who insist that without their intervention humankind will be annihilated by the elements. That is playing god!

God is the one who designed it all. . .he made certain things grow out of the earth in Africa which is beneficial to the bodies and health of those whose nature is in harmony with the African soil. When someone out of an European continent comes and start to eat the African crop he gets sick. This is because his nature is not in harmony with the rythym of that soil. Even in tundra climates where the surface soil is frigid, there are plants that grow out of the earth and animals graze. In extreme of weather and climatic conditions, the earth will support and sustain those with whom it shares nature. In winter weather and sub-zero temperatures animals burrow into the soil and caves, why? Because it is warm and comfortable in the earth. It is only cold on earth's surface due to the sweeping effect of cold and temperate winds, the sub-terranean itself is ever comfortable and warm, with or without the sun.
Re: Sun And Spirituality: Is There A Connection? by emofine2(f): 12:59am On Apr 14, 2012
^^^
Intriguing.
Re: Sun And Spirituality: Is There A Connection? by odumchi: 2:38am On Apr 15, 2012
Negro_Ntns:
I agree the sun is a powerful influence, there is no dispute to that. However, it is not the source of life! It is scientific dogma to say the earth will freeze over without the sun. This idea supports the cause for the global warming advocates who insist that without their intervention humankind will be annihilated by the elements. That is playing god!

God is the one who designed it all. . .he made certain things grow out of the earth in Africa which is beneficial to the bodies and health of those whose nature is in harmony with the African soil. When someone out of an European continent comes and start to eat the African crop he gets sick. This is because his nature is not in harmony with the rythym of that soil.
Even in tundra climates where the surface soil is frigid, there are plants that grow out of the earth and animals graze. In extreme of weather and climatic conditions, the earth will support and sustain those with whom it shares nature. In winter weather and sub-zero temperatures animals burrow into the soil and caves, why? Because it is warm and comfortable in the earth. It is only cold on earth's surface due to the sweeping effect of cold and temperate winds, the sub-terranean itself is ever comfortable and warm, with or without the sun.

That's exactly what I mean.

Today, you are saying "God", but thousands of years ago, most people said "gods". You said,

"It is scientific dogma to say the earth will freeze over without the sun. This idea supports the cause for the global warming advocates who insist that without their intervention humankind will be annihilated by the elements. That is playing god!"

Two thousand years ago, there was no scientific theory on the signiicance of the sun, however its significance and the role it played in sustaining lfie were clearly observed. People understood well that the sun (and the moon) controlled life and they accepted them as 'gods'. That is why the Egyptians, the Greeks, the Incans, and other peoples immortified the sun and worhsipped it as a deity whether it be Ra, Isis, or Helios. It was with knowledge of the patterns of the sun and moon that the Egyptians were able to cultivate and farm the Nile rivery valley, the Hindu the Indus river valley, and the Han the Yellow river valley.

The fact is that man tends to "assign" a relgious aspect to whatever he can't understand. Today, we understand the patterns of the sun and we know enough that it is not to be worhsipped. I, as a Christian, believe that there is only one God who is the source of life, but it must be accepted that our ancestors did not believe this and even worshipped the sun. I believe tht the relationship between the sun, moon, and life is best understood by agricultural societies. For example, a drought meant that there would be a poor harvest, which meant that there would be a famine, which meant that there would be death. An unusually high tide meant that there would be a flood, which meant that crops would fail, resulting in famine also. However, ample sunlight and ample irrigation meant a bountiful harvest and life.

I hope you see what I'm getting at.
Re: Sun And Spirituality: Is There A Connection? by gst101: 7:19am On Apr 15, 2012
@emofine i cant stop admiring you. You post topics that stirs the intellect. It challenges that which you already know and stirs you to want to know more.
Quetsion pls; do you think that the ignorance of the africa centered topics you post informs any trend and situation negro africa finds it self today? If yes, how can we change things?
Re: Sun And Spirituality: Is There A Connection? by ifyalways(f): 7:48am On Apr 15, 2012
Quoted for future reference.
Negro_Ntns:

. . . in the reproduction of a child, the father is a marker, the mother is the child's nature and spirituality. In cosmolosophy, the sun is the father, a marker, and the earth is the mother, the nature.

Sun provides light, the marker, . . . earth provides love (rhythym), the nature!

Human enlightenment and knowledge of the solar system and its relationship with human nature was first formulated and taught by Africans. Other races learnt this knowledge from Africans. Art and Science in the African consciousness is one and the same and were regarded as a pair of essences expressing the nature of man and the environs in its polarized balance. Hence the teachings of physical and metaphysical sciences or physical and esoteric arts. . . .generally termed alchemy in ancient manuscripts. In the evolution of science and particularly under the stewardship of Western philosophers, the two - arts and sciences - were separated into distinct schools of thought and scholarship. By the time Western kingdoms started their Imperial wars round the globe, they had greatly maneuvered away from the arts and though it existed as a knowledge and principles, it was hardly the mainstream practice.

It is only of recent as their own scientifically leaning societies is beginning to fail that they are returning to alchemy as a means of sustenance and explanations for human nature. However, as they discover the truth in alchemy they also realize past errors and the risk of admitting those errors. To formulate a balance and reconcile the two with minimal shifts to their social culture, they are using scientific terms and standards to express and demonstrate metaphysical and esoteric knowledge. They are attempting to return to alchemy without doing damage to Western philosophical thoughts and loosing out to current stewards of the knowledge - China, Brazil and India. So they use words like the ""effect of sun and melanin content to human spirituality"", instead of saying. . . ""the dark race is a spiritual nature and sustainer of mankind and we made an error 100yrs ago when we made contact and called them heathens"". They use terms like "Quantum Physics instead of admitting that the babalawo's divination board is a mirror into the cosmos"".

God is the one who designed it all. . .he made certain things grow out of the earth in Africa which is beneficial to the bodies and health of those whose nature is in harmony with the African soil. When someone out of an European continent comes and start to eat the African crop he gets sick. This is because his nature is not in harmony with the rythym of that soil. Even in tundra climates where the surface soil is frigid, there are plants that grow out of the earth and animals graze. In extreme of weather and climatic conditions, the earth will support and sustain those with whom it shares nature. In winter weather and sub-zero temperatures animals burrow into the soil and caves, why? Because it is warm and comfortable in the earth. It is only cold on earth's surface due to the sweeping effect of cold and temperate winds, the sub-terranean itself is ever comfortable and warm, with or without the sun.
Re: Sun And Spirituality: Is There A Connection? by NegroNtns(m): 9:59pm On Apr 15, 2012
Two thousand years ago, there was no scientific theory on the signiicance of the sun, however its significance and the role it played in sustaining lfie were clearly observed. People understood well that the sun (and the moon) controlled life and they accepted them as 'gods'. That is why the Egyptians, the Greeks, the Incans, and other peoples immortified the sun and worhsipped it as a deity whether it be Ra, Isis, or Helios. It was with knowledge of the patterns of the sun and moon that the Egyptians were able to cultivate and farm the Nile rivery valley, the Hindu the Indus river valley, and the Han the Yellow river valley.

The fact is that man tends to "assign" a relgious aspect to whatever he can't understand. Today, we understand the patterns of the sun and we know enough that it is not to be worhsipped. I, as a Christian, believe that there is only one God who is the source of life, but it must be accepted that our ancestors did not believe this and even worshipped the sun. I believe tht the relationship between the sun, moon, and life is best understood by agricultural societies. For example, a drought meant that there would be a poor harvest, which meant that there would be a famine, which meant that there would be death. An unusually high tide meant that there would be a flood, which meant that crops would fail, resulting in famine also. However, ample sunlight and ample irrigation meant a bountiful harvest and life.

I hope you see what I'm getting at.

. . . .this response needs a new topic to discuss difference between GOD and gods and the nature of gods. I dont want to derail this topic but I will refer you to a scientifc teachings that says: "matter is made up of living and non-living things". This is a scientific error.

lol@Ify, Im unsettled in that your response so don't even think about it! I represent the male ego and Im a father. . . . .the ego refuses to be limited to the "marker" reference I just made. On a second thought I'd like to withdraw it,. . . . . the male fluid is the beginning and the end of everything! lmao.
Re: Sun And Spirituality: Is There A Connection? by ifyalways(f): 12:17pm On Apr 16, 2012
^Ah,ah. . .Chief Negro olori ust have over "indulged" you this weekend.All this male ego trip.lol

The male rascals on here must be very happy to hear that their male fluids qualify as . . .ROFL.
Re: Sun And Spirituality: Is There A Connection? by DuduNegro: 2:45pm On Apr 16, 2012
Hahahahaha. . . .Ify, I didnt know you to be a troublemaker. You sneaked "olori" in there to make mischief. lol.

There is a joke in Yorubaland that in the beginning the olori (head or leader in Yoruba) was divined for women and everything was fine in the world and peaceful because man listened and obeyed GOD. Then we entered an age in which man turned away from GOD and listened to his own ego. . .he saw that the daughters of GOD are beautiful and he coveted many of them, but a boat can only have one captain, man could not have several leaders or head over him so his ego suggested to him what to do. Man upturned the divination and made himself the head and leader of the world. From that top position he can have as many women now as he desired under him. The women refused to give up their GOD-given title and clutched on to the olori. So man redesignated its meaning. This is how Yoruba women became olori (second in command of their household).
Re: Sun And Spirituality: Is There A Connection? by emofine2(f): 6:40pm On Apr 17, 2012
gst101: @emofine i cant stop admiring you. You post topics that stirs the intellect. It challenges that which you already know and stirs you to want to know more.
Quetsion pls; do you think that the ignorance of the africa centered topics you post informs any trend and situation negro africa finds it self today? If yes, how can we change things?

I appreciate your kind words but I believe that any thoughtful or honest African must have questioned or contemplated the issues that affects our continent – maybe not in the same angle but most likely some of these or similar questions must have crossed their minds at least once whether they thought it significant or not. Young Africans are likely to raise these questions and that to me is a good thing. What made sense in the past may not hold much relevance in today’s society or what went wrong in the past may help inform today’s society. The fact that people are asking questions means that things need to be revaluated and one day hopefully revised.
Re: Sun And Spirituality: Is There A Connection? by rocksoz: 12:59am On Jun 02, 2016
yes there is a connection between the sun and spirituality- prehistory peoples in Australia used the sun to connect to the underworld- i am very close to these past peoples often cry and also feel connected to the sun smiley - here is a link to my discoveries and the story of these peoples http://www.ancientagenda.com/baree-site

(1) (Reply)

Best Clubs And Restaurants In Lagos ? / Throwback Picture Of A Muslim Yoruba Shop In Salvador, Bahia 1895. / Handmade Palm Kernel Oil For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.