Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,894 members, 7,814,020 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

Art In Islam - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Art In Islam (8127 Views)

Fertility Issues And Contraception In Islam: / Ingredients Of Marital Love In Islam / Myth Of 72 Virgins In Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Art In Islam by emofine2(f): 4:26pm On Apr 12, 2012
Art is an important pairing in religion. In fact art is an important tool period; a tool used to highlight another subject.

I've always been intrigued by Islamic art - not only because of the prohibition of any depiction of Allah or the prophet (which has left Islam with no figure illustrations) which is actually unique in a religion but I'm amazed by the decorative designs and patterns. It appears so simple yet so intricate. Even the Arabic script is pretty artistic.

However I doubt these patterns I see in Islamic art are random or meaningless. I wonder what inspired them, what do these patterns convey or mean?

How is art regarded in Islam? Is Islamic art tied to a particular culture? Any Muslim artists one can recommend or even examples of Islamic art?
Re: Art In Islam by maclatunji: 7:36am On Apr 13, 2012
^Can you post pictures of some of this Islamic Art? So that we have an idea of the things you like so much and move from there.
Re: Art In Islam by deols(f): 8:28am On Apr 13, 2012
emöfine2: Art is an important pairing in religion. In fact art is an important tool period; a tool used to highlight another subject.

I've always been intrigued by Islamic art - not only because of the prohibition of any depiction of Allah or the prophet (which has left Islam with no figure illustrations) which is actually unique in a religion but I'm amazed by the decorative designs and patterns. It appears so simple yet so intricate. Even the Arabic script is pretty artistic.

However I doubt these patterns I see in Islamic art are random or meaningless. I wonder what inspired them, what do these patterns convey or mean?

How is art regarded in Islam? Is Islamic art tied to a particular culture? Any Muslim artists one can recommend or even examples of Islamic art?

i identify with some of what you wrote. In fact, i had them in mind while opening the let us celebrate thread. I however wont be able to answer all your questions because i am not versed in it too.

I'd like to mention though that the Islamic art cuts across. You could talk of the language, which definitely is arabic having it in mind that not all arabs speak\understand it. In fact, the manner of recitation of the Qur'an, which even as evolved requires some formal education.

In terms of architecture, the islamic art would be depicted by the structures of mosques which despite being in different shapes and sizes are almost all d time characterised by minarets and domes. When this practice startted, I dont know of. But a combination of both in a place sure signifies a mosque, or something Muslim or Islamic.

Other symbols very much attributed to Islam are the crescent and star. I have heard these have their origin in Malaysia(but not sure of it). The moon is significant in Islam as you must have known that some acts of worship are subject to the sighting of the moon. What the stars signify I dont know.

Generally, there is nothing spiritual about the symbols. Deciding to use or not use them has nothing to do with faith and Muslims, especially organizations have coined different logos from the most known ones. For example my Muslim primary school has the kaabah and a minaret as its logo and others might just use the crescent and the stars. The hijab has also been used as a logo or symbol of Islam. Flags too, with arabic letterings of varying meanings.
Re: Art In Islam by emofine2(f): 5:58pm On Apr 13, 2012
In terms of architecture, the islamic art would be depicted by the structures of mosques which despite being in different shapes and sizes are almost all d time characterised by minarets and domes. When this practice startted, I dont know of. But a combination of both in a place sure signifies a mosque, or something Muslim or Islamic.

Other symbols very much attributed to Islam are the crescent and star. I have heard these have their origin in Malaysia(but not sure of it). The moon is significant in Islam as you must have known that some acts of worship are subject to the sighting of the moon. What the stars signify I dont know.

Generally, there is nothing spiritual about the symbols. Deciding to use or not use them has nothing to do with faith and Muslims, especially organizations have coined different logos from the most known ones. For example my Muslim primary school has the kaabah and a minaret as its logo and others might just use the crescent and the stars. The hijab has also been used as a logo or symbol of Islam. Flags too, with arabic letterings of varying meanings.

Interesting deols. Much appreciated.

Mosques are certainly beautiful works of architecture but the interior was what I was alluding to (still I don’t mind my attention being brought to other forms of Islamic art). The interior is usually decorated with patterns, I mean I don’t understand any of it but it all just makes sense. Even the prayer mats, the cover of the Quaran (well at least on my Quaran).
Recently A generous Muslim man gave me a gift from his shop. The gift was of Islamic relevance. It was like a sort of disc shaped pottery, with the Arabic inscription of Allah.
There is definitely a collection of art in Islam that I would like to be more familiar with.
Re: Art In Islam by emofine2(f): 6:03pm On Apr 13, 2012
^Can you post pictures of some of this Islamic Art? So that we have an idea of the things you like so much and move from there.

These are the illustrious patterns I usually see of Islamic art:

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCOjkDoNGm3QJpfE01trNNJeQ5AuSnsWbe5_oRxylP0AD9ySh2DytplLBp[/img]

[img]http://2.bp..com/_rwBtn5Q4cxw/TKRD57tcpxI/AAAAAAAAAWE/LIAQfLtfctk/s1600/DSCF1762.JPG[/img]
Re: Art In Islam by emofine2(f): 6:04pm On Apr 13, 2012
^^^

I've always wondered what the meanings behind these patterns/designs. Some of them remind me of Moroccan interior designs.
Re: Art In Islam by emofine2(f): 6:12pm On Apr 13, 2012
Re: Art In Islam by maclatunji: 6:48pm On Apr 13, 2012
^The pictures you have posted so far have no meaning outside being expressions of the artist. Like you said earlier, Islam frowns at drawing animals (including humans) . Hence, things like flowers, shapes and patterns from nature as well as the artists imagination do reflect in Islamic art. Post more of the things you like, let's see.
Re: Art In Islam by emofine2(f): 7:06pm On Apr 13, 2012
maclatunji: ^The pictures you have posted so far have no meaning outside being expressions of the artist. Like you said earlier, Islam frowns at drawing animals (including humans) . Hence, things like flowers, shapes and patterns from nature as well as the artists imagination do reflect in Islamic art. Post more of the things you like, let's see.

Oh ok. Do you know of any Muslim artists?

You know when people are restricted or have less options they are often creative.

Ok so since humans/animals are forbidden in Islamic Art can muslims still appreciate other arts that conveys these subjects?
Re: Art In Islam by Sweetnecta: 8:35pm On Apr 13, 2012
that artist seem to me like a renegade by the writing on sole if nothing else express the subtle ideology he/she holds.

writing on faces, is like defacing or debasing the human essence or the soul of the subject, in the case the woman.
the artist may be expressing the hardship she/he feels that the nation of his/her blood put women in.

The subjects of art; women faces, women body parts, child arms, all seem to express sorrow, some regrets or oppression.

But why write religious scripts on the sole of feet or the fingers that seem to silence the lips?
Re: Art In Islam by tbaba1234: 12:31am On Apr 14, 2012
The prohibition of sculptures or pictures of the prophet was to prevent people from taking those objects or pictures of the prophet as symbols of worship as it is done with some sects of Christianity.

Islamic art is a broad spectrum of art... Depending on the Islamic empire or the area covered by the former empires. Architecture is one of the most significant manifestation of Islamic art.

The eras and the Arts

Early Islamic era (some interesting art)

Base of a Bottle
Eastern Mediterranean, late seventh to eighth century
Glass, free-blown, with applied decoration

Eastern Mediterranean, eighth to ninth century
Glass, free-blown, tooled, with applied decoration

Two Leaves from a Manuscript of the Qur’an
Abbasid caliphate, ninth to tenth century

Page from a Manuscript of the Qur’an
Tunisia, probably Qairawan, early tenth century
Gold and red ink on parchment dyed blue

Plaque with King on Horseback
Iran, probably Chal Tarkhan-Ishqabad,
late seventh to early eighth century
Stucco, molded in relief

Textile Fragment
Egypt, eighth to ninth century
Linen and silk, tapestry weave

[img]http://www.lacma.org/islamic_art/Popups/popup_fig7.htm[/img]
Bowl
Iraq, ninth century
Earthenware, overglaze polychrome luster painted

[img]http://www.lacma.org/islamic_art/Popups/popup_fig11.htm[/img]
Ewer
Greater Iran, Nishapur or Samarqand, tenth century
Earthenware, underglaze painted

To be continued
Re: Art In Islam by emofine2(f): 1:11am On Apr 14, 2012
@Tbaba thanks for the info and images. But how comes the Iranian plaque depicts an animal figure and a human figure? I thought such was prohibited in Islam?

Great display of work however.

Sweetnecta: that artist seem to me like a renegade by the writing on sole if nothing else express the subtle ideology he/she holds.

writing on faces, is like defacing or debasing the human essence or the soul of the subject, in the case the woman.
the artist may be expressing the hardship she/he feels that the nation of his/her blood put women in.

The subjects of art; women faces, women body parts, child arms, all seem to express sorrow, some regrets or oppression.

But why write religious scripts on the sole of feet or the fingers that seem to silence the lips?

I actually enjoyed your analysis. That was pretty thought-provoking. However if the work offends I can take it down if you want.
Re: Art In Islam by tbaba1234: 1:50am On Apr 14, 2012
Sculptures of people/living creatures can be used for educational purposes like teaching kids.

Sculptures and pictures were prohibited for a reason::: That people do not adopt the image as an object of worship. This is understandable from the historical point of view.

Muslims did make such sculptures, though. Islam spread quickly across a vast area..... From China to spain....So It is not uncommon to see expressions of art that are not traditionally islamic in nature.
Re: Art In Islam by emofine2(f): 8:46am On Apr 14, 2012
tbaba1234: Muslims did make such sculptures, though. Islam spread quickly across a vast area..... From China to spain....So It is not uncommon to see expressions of art that are not traditionally islamic in nature.

Interesting, so perhaps some Muslim artists lean more on cultural aspects or are avant-garde.
Re: Art In Islam by sino(m): 8:47am On Apr 14, 2012
Islam is a way of life which makes it blend with diverse cultures and traditions if and only if these cultures and traditions do not entail what islam prohibits.
I believe islamic arts constitute the large amount of differnt cultures, expressing islam in their own unique way.
I want to believe the op is talking about the islamic calligraphy, which is always in arabic cos arabic is the language of the Qur'an.

Re: Art In Islam by emofine2(f): 8:49am On Apr 14, 2012
I’m a huge fan of henna art. Is it a Muslim thing though? Or are the countries that practise this art just happen to be predominantly Muslim?

I guess there are cultural references in this art however.

Re: Art In Islam by emofine2(f): 8:53am On Apr 14, 2012
I'm wondering . . .since certain illustrations are prohibited in Islam, are certain materials/mediums prohibited in Islam also?
Re: Art In Islam by tbaba1234: 8:58am On Apr 14, 2012
Henna is used by different people: the root of the name is Arabic so it probably originated from the Arabs.....

Can't say much else about it.
Re: Art In Islam by tbaba1234: 8:58am On Apr 14, 2012
What do you mean mediums??
Re: Art In Islam by maclatunji: 9:05am On Apr 14, 2012
emöfine2: I’m a huge fan of henna art. Is it a Muslim thing though? Or are the countries that practise this art just happen to be predominantly Muslim?

As far as I know, Henna is permissible in Islam. A wife is allowed to use it to dazzle her husband anyway.
Re: Art In Islam by emofine2(f): 9:07am On Apr 14, 2012
tbaba1234: What do you mean mediums??

Basically the materials used to convey the art i.e clay, paint.
Re: Art In Islam by tbaba1234: 9:10am On Apr 14, 2012
emöfine2:

Basically the materials used to convey the art i.e clay, paint.

oh that's fine: you can make sculptures and paintings of non-living things
Re: Art In Islam by emofine2(f): 9:13am On Apr 14, 2012
maclatunji:

As far as I know, Henna is permissible in Islam. A wife is allowed to use it to dazzle her husband anyway.

grin

Yeah I gathered it must have been allowed in Islam, I was just wondering if it's root was Islamic.

tbaba1234: Henna is used by different people: the root of the name is Arabic so it probably originated from the Arabs.....

Hmm not too sure if it originated from the Arabs. Some cultures practiced this art for a long time but maybe Muslims call it henna because Arabic is the lingua franca of Islam.
Re: Art In Islam by tbaba1234: 9:20am On Apr 14, 2012
emöfine2:

Hmm not too sure if it originated from the Arabs. Some cultures practiced this art for a long time but maybe Muslims call it henna because Arabic is the lingua franca of Islam.

Possibly
Re: Art In Islam by emofine2(f): 9:27am On Apr 14, 2012
I wonder how the art is in Northern Nigeria.

Do you have to be a Muslim to depict Islamic art?

Sahelian Architecture is amazing.

Great Mosque of Djenné in Mali:

Re: Art In Islam by tbaba1234: 9:40am On Apr 14, 2012
emöfine2: I wonder how the art is in Northern Nigeria.

Sahelian Architecture is amazing.

Great Mosque of Djenné in Mali:

Some of what is termed Islamic art was done by non-muslims who lived in muslim lands and were influenced by Islam.
Re: Art In Islam by deols(f): 2:31pm On Apr 14, 2012
emöfine2: I’m a huge fan of henna art. Is it a Muslim thing though? Or are the countries that practise this art just happen to be predominantly Muslim?

I can only say that the henna is mentioned in the traditions of the prophet. He encouraged women to do it.

In some countries, the henna you wear and how you wear it says something about you. mare looking at your henna, someone might be able to tell if you'r married or not.

Men do henna too. shocked?
Re: Art In Islam by deols(f): 2:34pm On Apr 14, 2012
the writings on the face above seems like photoshop to me.
Re: Art In Islam by maclatunji: 2:43pm On Apr 14, 2012
deols:

I can only say that the henna is mentioned in the traditions of the prophet. He encouraged women to do it.

In some countries, the henna you wear and how you wear it says something about you. mare mere looking at your henna, someone might be able to tell if you'r married or not.

Men do henna too. shocked?
Re: Art In Islam by tpia5: 5:08pm On Apr 14, 2012
emöfine2: I wonder how the art is in Northern Nigeria.

was this your reason for duplicating the topic?

do you feel too big to post on the other thread or what exactly.

I dont talk am say na bad belle go finish una.
Re: Art In Islam by emofine2(f): 5:23pm On Apr 14, 2012
deols: Men do henna too. shocked?

If so I'd love to see that grin

deols: the writings on the face above seems like photoshop to me.

Yep.

tpia@:

Like Do I know you?
Re: Art In Islam by maclatunji: 5:59pm On Apr 14, 2012
tpia@:

tpia@, wetin nah? Let emofine be O. At least she can express her personal thoughts on Islamic Art here. Moreover, she acknowledged that she did not know of deols' thread before starting this one. Even deols did not complain, so why are you so angry?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Discriminations Against Muslims... / Need A Muslim Name / Definition and the Meaning of “Islam” – Imam Ibn Baz (rahimahullaah)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.