Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,449 members, 7,850,570 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 03:52 AM

Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity (2312 Views)

APC MANIFESTO: We'll Grow Oil Production To 4MBPD, Revenue To $50bn By 2019 / Lagos Needs $50bn For Infrastructure Development- Fashola / The Transformation Of Nigeria, Part III- Lekki Megacity Master Plan (Lagos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by Kobojunkie: 2:25pm On Nov 15, 2007
angel101:

@ kobojunkie
the major road in VI is Ozumba Nbadiwe road and work has started between The Law school and Mobil headquarters. I have seen this for myself.

I did not ask if you have seen it yourself. I asked if you can show that it is not the many people on that road that decided it is time to change things on their own @Angel101, I know of many occassions where people take it on themselves to do things since the government was not prepared to do it for them.

Another thing I would like to state is this, one road does not confirm change. How can we be sure this is the government doing this and not the citizens finally saying enough again

We are speaking of change in the right direction in a state like Lagos here, not some flimsy sign or two that we have seen in the past over and over and still find ourselves where we are today,
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by angel101(f): 2:31pm On Nov 15, 2007
Mind u, i am not holding brief 4 fashola. I am saying that he is introducing the public/private sector involvement scheme where private individuals invest in infrastructure build operate and transfer. that is what the news article said and i am saying it has started happening ok. i have not said govt is doing it neither have i said a change of mega proportions has taken place. and yes i have seen for myself. u may want to read my earlier posts b4 scolding me! u asked a question and i answered.
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by Kobojunkie: 2:45pm On Nov 15, 2007
angel101:

Mind u, i am not holding brief 4 fashola. I am saying that he is introducing the public/private sector involvement scheme where private individuals invest in infrastructure build operate and transfer. that is what the news article said and i am saying it has started happening ok. i have not said govt is doing it neither have i said a change of mega proportions has taken place. and yes i have seen for myself. u may want to read my earlier posts before scolding me! u asked a question and i answered.

You were posting in response to my question which is

I do have a question for you Purist. Please provide us with proof that this is not just the usual we have gotten from past governors in that state?? I mean I do not know if you have been there for the past 10 before him but the song you just sang sounds exactly same as what they all came in with and did but all left accomplishing nothing in the end. What has actually been done??

I was not born yesterday and so you telling me "It has started" Or "I have seen it" does not prove anything new to me. Note that many man of us have heard it before and are wary of getting our hopes up again only to have it smashed for the 100th time. I asked that question so that I can actually get information, substantial to show that this time it is for real, your telling me a street is being made good is not what I asked for, is what I am simply saying,
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by angel101(f): 2:58pm On Nov 15, 2007
and this was my initial response

The diff this time is that the gov is involving the private sector i.e private investors build operate and transfer. that in my opinion should ensure a proper job and limit fraud as it will only be in the interest of the investors to do so.
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by Kobojunkie: 9:59pm On Nov 15, 2007
angel101:

and this was my initial response

The diff this time is that the gov is involving the private sector i.e private investors build operate and transfer. that in my opinion should ensure a proper job and limit fraud as it will only be in the interest of the investors to do so.

As I answered you earlier. This is NOT the first time the government has done the same. From mudashiru down, the government in Lagos has on one occassion or another pulled out the same talk.

There is nothing wrong with the government asking the people to get involved at all levels. I mean this is what democracy is about, but those of us who have heard it all before, need to be made to understand, one way or another that this time it is for real. Infact, the people need to be made to understand that as that is the only way to curb crime in the state and even push the people to do better in all wise ( get the street traders off the streets, curb littering, improve life in general)
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by almondjoy(f): 6:30am On Nov 16, 2007
And the Herculean fit of the "Beautification of Pig-Sty Lagos" continues.
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by Kobojunkie: 12:34pm On Nov 16, 2007
I don't believe we are to even embark on a beautification project yet. We should be more focused on getting good roads, steady power supply, water AND Then we can shoot for beautification. I mean, unless we are going to put all the power lines and water pipes up on sky scrapers for art
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by mrpataki(m): 1:04pm On Nov 16, 2007
Kobojunkie:

I don't believe we are to even embark on a beautification project yet. We should be more focused on getting good roads, steady power supply, water AND Then we can shoot for beautification. I mean, unless we are going to put all the power lines and water pipes up on sky scrapers for art

In addition a re-orientation of the masses. A lot of Nigerians are too spoilt.
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by angel101(f): 3:37pm On Nov 16, 2007
and pessimistic
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by Kobojunkie: 7:05pm On Nov 16, 2007
mrpataki:

In addition a re-orientation of the masses. A lot of Nigerians are too spoilt.

Agreed. I believe the Nigerian Problem is not just a problem in leadership posts but a problem that has over the decades spread over and become a part of the people's mentality. You will see a man come out of his gated building to dump garbage right in the gutter in front of his house. I am sure the man knows to do better but he has somehow settled to accept that anything goes and it has been that way for decades in lagos. If you dare approach such to challenge him to do better, you are more likely to find people come back him up against you. Beautification starts with providing of basics and actually getting the people to understand that even they have to change things at the basic level. Electricity, Water, good roads are desperately needed.

I wish and I pray the government would at least put in laws and plans to allow organizations and companies set up and do business with less stress in the state. As the roads come up and the basics start functioning, the beautification will be handled by the people themselves.

Example one of the towns I used to live in over here. The Major changed laws to make it easier and convenient for businesses to set up in town. At the same time, the public enjoyed many incentives that were provided by the law to enable them compete with the big businesses, before long, the town became a big one and is actually competing with the major commerce center in the state. 50 Billion is available but it is in the hands of businesses and the public, not China and other foreign lenders.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Student Falls Asleep During Obama Speech / Akpabio Raises Alarm Over Illegal Use Of His Phone Number / Npf Has No Right To Speak For Northerners – Northern Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.